• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic has pledged to introduce stricter moderation after “abusive and disrespectful" Horizon: Forbidden West DLC review bombing this weekend.

Fake

Here's the solution. Remove user reviews - at least numerical ratings. They're pointless.
c9EFTXx.jpg

Yeah problem solved.
There are idiots on both sides.

There are idiots on both sides, but only one side get listen.

Flutta

Banned
That's called "using religion as a shield"

I get that some people are still pretty big on this religion thing but the scripture is old and people who wrote it probably weren't very forward thinking. Also, if your friend isn't into gay stuff he can just say that he could never be gay because he's not into guys. Not because religion forbids it. But when he says that seeing a gay romance in a video game makes him uncomfortable then yeah, I don't know what should be so off-putting about two people being in love. The only stance he could take on this is a moral one and that's already being kinda judgmental.

Forward thinking in what exactly? Oh, you mean by making kids believe they can change their gender so big FARMA can make a bunch of money? Or maybe you are into having naked men in makeup dance in front of children?

Being moral how? What do you mean here? Who is to determine what’s morally right or wrong if it's not religion? If we’re talking love here i mean having siblings who are in-love with eath other should be ok? Or a grownup with a child? Or someone who’s in love with their pet? I mean its love so all of this should be ok in your book because it’s love….

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Wasn't reviewers whining about Days Gone protagonist being a white male? And Bayonetta for not ending up with a woman instead of a man?
And yet those games got (mostly) positive reviews because they were critiqued on the things that actually mattered.

User scores should just be erased. There’s literally no control over them. Makes no sense to even pay attention to them.

Last edited:

Fake

Ok, I'm speaking exclusively for games. I don't follow metacritic for other forms of media.

User score are users score. And if people have time to read bs from user review, sure gonna have time to read Bowser getting called incel in the user score review.
People need to stop being selective, thats all.

And yet those games got (mostly) positive reviews because they were critiqued on the things that actually mattered.

Funny you put 'mostly', because Days Gone get some really bad reviews. And saying 'I'm dissapointed with Bayonetta 3' sure don't looks like a positive review at all.

Who gives a shit? It's a microscopic price to pay to keep freedom of thought and expression.

Also, potential buyers wouldn't care at all about HZD bombing.
You don't understand what freedom of thought and expression means. Pretending you played something for an agenda isn't freedom of thought, it's lying to push an agenda.

Fuz

Banned
You don't understand what freedom of thought and expression means. Pretending you played something for an agenda isn't freedom of thought, it's lying to push an agenda.
Once you start put stakes in what people can and can not express there's no definite ending. And THAT is pushing an agenda.

And in this specific case, people who know enough to read Metacritic wouldn't be swayed by review bombing.

Last edited:

Fake

Or people care or people don't care.

I guess neither you? How do you know an account that give 10/10 played the game if not even write a text they do?

My point is, go from both ways. If they want to remove the 0/0 from some trolls, they need to remove 10/10 from trolls as well.

And the hyprocrisy is, they (the snowflakes devs) don't want the 10/10 to be removed EVEN if those reviews that give 10/10 complain about Aloy sexuality.

Last edited:

NickFire

Here's the solution. Remove user reviews - at least numerical ratings. They're pointless.
I think they have a lot of potential value. First and foremost, the general audience is far more representative of average tastes than the "critics." And frankly, the "critics" don't deserve even a sliver of special status when it comes to reviews any longer. As far as I am concerned, every single outlet / "journalist" that failed to cover Hogwarts engaged in the same type of conduct that the shitheads who review bomb a game partake in. The "critics" efforts just rang hollow because their marketing departments and gamers overall basically said F off on this one.

But I do stand by my belief that some sort of playtime verification should be mandatory. Whether its teenage shitheads trying to defend the honor of a platform, or critics interjecting their politics into damn near everything, I'm sick of all of it. Make everyone, users and critics alike, review the actual games on merits.

YukiOnna

I'll be honest, the quality of critic reviews isn't that much better so the site may as well go. Also, aren't a majority of people focusing on that critic score than the user reviews?

Gambit2483

User score are users score. And if people have time to read bs from user review, sure gonna have time to read Bowser getting called incel in the user score review.
People need to stop being selective, thats all.

Funny you put 'mostly', because Days Gone get some really bad reviews. And saying 'I'm dissapointed with Bayonetta 3' sure don't looks like a positive review at all.
Those bad reviews from Days Gone were mostly attributed to its poor performance and many many bugs and issues when it first launched.

Again, a parameter in which videogames are often critiqued. There is no narrative where tons of "professional reviews" have low scores because of sexism or whatever

Flutta

Banned
Or people care or people don't care.

I guess neither you? How do you know an account that give 10/10 played the game if not even write a text they do?

My point is, go from both ways. If they want to remove the 0/0 from some trolls, they need to remove 10/10 from trolls as well.

And the hyprocrisy is, they (the snowflakes devs) don't want the 10/10 to be removed EVEN if those reviews that give 10/10 complain about Aloy sexuality.

Exactly this.

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Those bad reviews from Days Gone were mostly attributed to its poor performance and many many bugs and issues when it first launched.

Again, a parameter in which videogames are often critiqued. There is no narrative where tons of "professional reviews" have low scores because of sexism or whatever
Then why didn't Cyberpunk suffer the same fate? Why not Elden Ring, or many, many other games that have performance issues and bugs? Will Bugthesda suffer the same fate with reviewers for bugs and glitches for Starfield? That would be a first for their Gamebryo engine games.

And yes, a lot of big site reviewers went on their social media to complain about the gruff white CIS male stereotype who liked to check out his GF/Wife's ass. The horror! Their masks slipped.

It also showed they never really played the game, because it was pretty damned progressive for a what normally would happen in a post-Apoc 1%er biker stereotype world.

Last edited:

Fake

Funny you saying that because TLOUS2 have a load of problems that people keep pointing out, but somehow people act like the real reason to get bad receive from the community was because 'the main protagonist is lesbian'. Is like a shield deflector.

I love the ideia of people not only wasting their time reading user review score, but they also filter what they want to read inside the review user score.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Drizzlehell

Banned
Forward thinking in what exactly? Oh, you mean by making kids believe they can change their gender so big FARMA can make a bunch of money? Or maybe you are into having naked men in makeup dance in front of children?

Being moral how? What do you mean here? Who is to determine what’s morally right or wrong if it's not religion? If we’re talking love here i mean having siblings who are in-love with eath other should be ok? Or a grownup with a child? Or someone who’s in love with their pet? I mean its love so all of this should be ok in your book because it’s love….
If you're gonna put kiddy diddlers and and some crackpot theories in the same bag as homosexual relationships then you're so far behind the curve that I'm not even gonna waste my time trying to explain life to you. I hope you'll get the help you need.

You have a right to shitpost on Metacritic?
That was in jest but at the same time, just let people spew their shit. The site is about offering reviews, they can curate as they see fit. However, i tend to have a grudge against sites that censor for reasons other than their original premise. Like news sites that remove the comment section becasue it was too political. Ok I guess, thats weak tho

3liteDragon

Good, put in place a system where it verifies whether or not you actually played the damn game. If you’re thinking about leaving a 1/10 because of a story choice you don’t like that you heard about on YouTube, go vent on Twitter.

Flutta

Banned
If you're gonna put kiddy diddlers and and some crackpot theories in the same bag as homosexual relationships then you're so far behind the curve that I'm not even gonna waste my time trying to explain life to you. I hope you'll get the help you need.
Well i was just using the same logic against you "I don't know what should be so off-putting about two people being in love".

Why, what's wrong it's love? love can come in all types and shapes, who gave you or anyone else the morally high ground to tell people they can't choose who they love? they can't help it... it's only right.

Be prepared loverboy soon you gona have to accept all types of love or be an outcast :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Doczu

I just follow OpenCritic reviews. No users reviews, and they put all platforms of a game into a single score instead of individual platforms.
I don't like this that much, cause if a game is multiplatform and cross-gen (or even 1 generation only) you can run into performance issues on specific platforms.
One might think a last gen version is great, buuuut...

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned
its the times we live in. if this was 2000 and a character was lesbian, would anyone care? people would just play the game and think nothing of it.
I wouldn't go as far as that, it would be a thing, like when Willow came out in Buffy.

Today it's actually more, eh. Or, OMG THEY ARE RUINING OUR SOCIETY!!!

Kvally

Banned
I don't like this that much, cause if a game is multiplatform (or even 1 generation only) you can run into performance issues on specific platforms.
One might think a last gen version is great, buuuut...
Well, when you click on the game you can see review publications.

Fuz

Banned
Funny you saying that because TLOUS2 have a load of problems that people keep pointing out, but somehow people act like the real reason to get bad receive from the community was because 'the main protagonist is lesbian'. Is like a shield deflector.

I love the ideia of people not only wasting their time reading user review score, but they also filter what they want to read inside the review user score.
557bf21373035c1ca51d5a46e6ca58f283ee3219be4385ebfcd6ae316edddfa9_1.jpg

Who gives a shit? It's a microscopic price to pay to keep freedom of thought and expression.

Also, potential buyers wouldn't care at all about HZD bombing.

There's freedom and thought, then there's being downright abusive and nasty. Should people be allowed to be racist on twitter because its "freedom of speech and thought"? Fuck that! We need balance. There should be consequences, just like how if you behaved in such a way in the real world, you would get knocked the fuck out or even killed in the worst case.

Last edited:

wolffy66

I mainly use it as an aggregate of the professional reviews, particularly for games I'm sitting on the fence with.

Does anyone actually bother with the user reviews anymore?
Its easier to just watch a stream on twitch or whatever and see how it's looks for urself

hemo memo

Gold Member
So just because someone is saying their genuine opinion they call it abusive and disrespectful? So gay characters are immune to criticism? Yes it was stupidly forced and if someone called it in their review and gave it a 1 it is not any less credible than “omg gay character 10/10 planet gay” It might shock some of you but there is a world outside the west with different opinions and views. Their views are not any less than your average MERICA GAP.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We all know why they are doing this. It has nothing to do with the quality or lack-there-of for User Reviews. It is only to control the narrative.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
There's freedom and thought, then there's being downright abusive and nasty. Should people be allowed to be racist on twitter because its "freedom of speech and thought"? Fuck that! We need balance. There should be consequences, just like how if you behaved in such a way in the real world, you would get knocked the fuck out or even killed in the worst case.
So, your idea of dealing with someone who says something disrespectful is that's ok to kill them. Cool.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well i was just using the same logic against you "I don't know what should be so off-putting about two people being in love".

Why, what's wrong it's love? love can come in all types and shapes, who gave you or anyone else the morally high ground to tell people they can't choose who they love? they can't help it... it's only right.

Be prepared loverboy soon you gona have to accept all types of love or be an outcast :messenger_winking_tongue:
Same-sex relationships isn't the same as pedophilia you fucking loon.

Gambit2483

Then why didn't Cyberpunk suffer the same fate? Why not Elden Ring, or many, many other games that have performance issues and bugs? Will Bugthesda suffer the same fate with reviewers for bugs and glitches for Starfield? That would be a first for their Gamebryo engine games.

And yes, a lot of big site reviewers went on their social media to complain about the gruff white CIS male stereotype who liked to check out his GF/Wife's ass. The horror! Their masks slipped.

It also showed they never really played the game, because it was pretty damned progressive for a what normally would happen in a post-Apoc 1%er biker stereotype world.
😂 Bro I'm not going to justify why reviewers weigh certain parameters more than others. That's not my point. My point is that race, sex or gender are not among the parameters that they use when critically reviewing

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Or maybe you are into having naked men in makeup dance in front of children?
that actually never happens.

The bible advocates for killing your damn neighbor if they didnt go to church on a sunday. Not very forward thinking.
Who is to determine what’s morally right or wrong if it's not religion?
Stealing's bad because taking stuff from other people without their permission that they worked hard to get is bad.
Killing people is bad because it's cruel and unnessacary, and is actively harming our own species
adultery is bad because if you've devoted yourself to one person you shouldn't go out and fuck another
there are reasons not to do bad stuff that has nothing to do with some god. I've said it before and i'll say it again, if you need some god to tell you not to do bad stuff you're a terrible person

If we’re talking love here i mean having siblings who are in-love with eath other should be ok? Or a grownup with a child? Or someone who’s in love with their pet? I mean its love so all of this should be ok in your book because it’s love….
grownups fucking kids is bad because it's a power imbalance and children can't consent
Siblings fucking siblings is bad because incest leads to deformed children
Fucking dogs is bad because it's another power imbalance and animals can't consent either.
Women fucking women is bad because..... uhhhh.... sky daddy said so?

Motherfuckers hate politics being shoved in games then proceed to go talk about nothing but politics on videogame forums.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That was in jest but at the same time, just let people spew their shit. The site is about offering reviews, they can curate as they see fit. However, i tend to have a grudge against sites that censor for reasons other than their original premise. Like news sites that remove the comment section becasue it was too political. Ok I guess, thats weak tho
Got it. I didn't pick up on the sarcasm, so sorry about that.

I've seen a bunch of forums ruined by people who think they have some inherent right to say whatever they want wherever they want and that any sort of effort to curb their shitposting is an attack on free speech. They don't seem to understand that a forum offered by some company isn't violating their constitutional rights if the forum tells them to shut up and piss off.

Top Bottom