• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic has pledged to introduce stricter moderation after “abusive and disrespectful" Horizon: Forbidden West DLC review bombing this weekend.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Those are progressive sites (not sure about Waypoint) with progressive agendas yes, but show me a review where they state they actually base the games review score on race, gender or sex (and not as a political stunt like that one site)
The Bayonetta 3 Reviews, for one. Where they actively whine about the sexual orientation of Bayo not being gay? That is just the most recent of a long line of trash. But please, keep trying to defend cancerous sites like that and feigning ignorance.

Not surprised to see people defending review bombing.
Not surprised to see you defending the removal of critical reviews related to your favorite plastic box.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's pretty obvious to tell a review from someone who's played the game and someone who hasn't. a person who hasn't played the game can't deliver any useful criticism other than "ITS NOT ON PLAYSTATION SO 0/10, TYPICAL GAMEPASS FAILURE"

Again look towards steam reviews to see how it's done. Toxicity is a near 0 there because of the requirements to make a review. no moderation or censorship needed.

Projection and excuses are all you have, isn't it?

Last edited:

Aenima

And? There are still thousands of reviews that are legitimate from folks who played the game. Or are you going to keep cherry picking reviews to dismiss all critical comments?
And for a site like metacritic, would be much better to have a system that actually makes sure the users played the game, like Steam Reviews have. And not a trust me bro system.

The APIs are done, you can link your PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, Epic Games, UbiPlay, etc accounts and they would know what games was actually played in those accounts. GOG Galaxy can track the games from all those accounts. Metacritic just had to create a system to let users link they accounts. As it is, they user reviews are just a cesspoll of warriors.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Of course, devs thinking about not anger the fans to cater to a small minority is out of the equation.

You know what, apply moderation and all you want. If you make a game and it flops because you didnt want to listen to your audience, enjoy the flop and burn.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not surprised to see you defending the removal of critical reviews related to your favorite plastic box.
I want MC to start verifying people who actually PLAYED the game (possibly by linking their account) instead of just letting the user review section roam free.

That's much better than defending these people who haven't played the game and are just whining in the comment section.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This is a bullshit move by Metacritic and clearly a virtue signal. People have been review bombing on Metacritic for YEARS for a variety of reasons, including political stuff. And now because allegedly they can pinpoint a “LGBTQ+” relationship being criticized (although that is not the only complaint in the review bombing) they vow to “take action”.

I actually think Metacritic User reviews are a great way for developers to see how games are received by the public, and not just gaming journalists.

Have a game that ships with poor performance or intrusive DRM? Metacritic user reviews will let you know - whereas so called “journalists” ignore those issues completely. Make no mistake, this is a form of censorship, and people championing this - you might be next.

This is a bullshit move by Metacritic and clearly a virtue signal. People have been review bombing on Metacritic for YEARS for a variety of reasons, including political stuff. And now because allegedly they can pinpoint a “LGBTQ+” relationship being criticized (although that is not the only complaint in the review bombing) they vow to “take action”.

I actually think Metacritic User reviews are a great way for developers to see how games are received by the public, and not just gaming journalists.

Have a game that ships with poor performance or intrusive DRM? Metacritic user reviews will let you know - whereas so called “journalists” ignore those issues completely. Make no mistake, this is a form of censorship, and people championing this - you might be next.
Thank you, what ive been trying to say this whole time

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can imagine if a game like metroid came out today gamers would be outraged because of the 'feminist' agenda. this shit is annoying
So what's the difference between then & now?
People who didn't blink twice about are suddenly outraged for no reason
Other than every company pandering to it and the constant need to make a character come out as something?

Reactions: Fuz

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So what's the difference between then & now?
People who didn't blink twice about are suddenly outraged for no reason
Other than every company pandering to it and the constant need to make a character come out as something?
Back then it was the natural order of things. Diversity™ was aligned with actual population %s. Now, it's insanely imbalanced and the virtue signaling is overly saturated at every turn. All part of a larger systemic psyop in the great divide & conquer distraction.

Gambit2483

The Bayonetta 3 Reviews, for one. Where they actively whine about the sexual orientation of Bayo not being gay? That is just the most recent of a long line of trash. But please, keep trying to defend cancerous sites like that and feigning ignorance.

One reviewer, on one site didn't like the way the STORY turned out between the Protagonist and a Side Character...Really? 🤨

Look, I'm a defender of truth. I don't give two shits about sites like Kotaku or Polygon or their agendas...but sometimes the "other side" is just as bad as their crap.

This is is not an industry narrative.

HoodWinked

That's a new one, corporate bootlicking because they are actually deluded into believing this empty virtue signaling.

Review bombing is the result of feckless cunts of the gaming media that are failing to do their job and actually calling this stuff out.

• Strength

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's a new one, corporate bootlicking because they are actually deluded into believing this empty virtue signaling.

Review bombing is the result of feckless cunts of the gaming media that are failing to do their job and actually calling this stuff out.
Reviewers are the ones being pandered to ;)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Back then it was the natural order of things. Diversity™ was aligned with actual population %s. Now, it's insanely imbalanced and the virtue signaling is overly saturated at every turn. All part of a larger systemic psyop in the great divide & conquer distraction.
Exactly and thats why it stands out more and why people bitch about it.
People aren't moaning for no reason, they have shrug it off as nothing time after time again and some even supported it and now they're moaning because their tolerance is wearing thin.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
LOL, imagine thinking Metacritic user reviews are "Genuine opinion" (here is your tipical genuine opinion from MC Users) and calling forced, when the player has the option to follow or not follow the romance path.
Being homophobic, racist, etc is against metacritic TOS, they only making more strict moderation regarding that.

If you dont want the "professional" critics to go political and review bomb games like Hogwarts, you should also not be cool with user going political to review bomb a game. Especially when most of them are just trolls that dont even played the game.
I said someone. Not all reviews are genuine not even from critics. I don’t want MC to limit the freedom of user reviews because anything you say against gay people stupidly considers homophobic. Only in a western woke mentality that a girl living in a post apocalyptic world shooting robots an experiencing near death constantly to save the world would think.. hmm let me explore my sexuality. For fuck sake.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
These days I trust my own taste over metacritic and user reviews. I played games long enough to know what I enjoy in my games.
Yep Metacritic can burn for all I care. Only opinion that matters is your own. I can easily tell trash from treasure game to game.

Like reviews back in the day used to mean something but most cases it's just a bunch of shills lording over big name games that have more often then not been paid off.

---------------------

I really don't see the need to remotely care about a fictitious character's sexual orientation. Has nothing to do with the actual game. I think it says a lot about people that get riled up that the image they built on these characters and that their waifu is ruined are just symptoms of a much larger problem. Wish people would grow up and move on from sexual nonsense.

Instead of caring about the game it's OMG MANFACE GIRL ONLY LIKES GIRLS AM ANGRY AAAAAGGGHHHH.

Like give me a break.

Guilty_AI

User reviews is an open invitation for abuse, and they are really useless I don’t know who takes them seriously
Depends on how the review system works. You need stuff like proof of ownership, good scoring metrics, maybe additional details like time played, and so on.
If its a free-for-all like metacritic it will rarely work as intended.

nkarafo

I really don't see the need to remotely care about a fictitious character's sexual orientation. Has nothing to do with the actual game.

Then why is it in the game?

Instead of caring about the game it's OMG MANFACE GIRL ONLY LIKES GIRLS AM ANGRY AAAAAGGGHHHH.

It's the other way around. It's not like the players care about the sexual orientation of the character, it's the fact the developers do and spend the time and effort to make sure you also know.

It's like you said: "Has nothing to do with the game". Therefore developers don't do it to make the game better, they do it to virtue signal.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Then why is it in the game?
I think you answered your own question in that it's the devs agenda to write out their own fanfic to virtue signal(to a very small minority or just for themselves) and people don't like it and shove it down everyone's throat anyway.

For all intents and purposes it shouldn't even be in the game given it has no bearing on gameplay or the overarching story as a whole.

Guilty_AI

I really don't see the need to remotely care about a fictitious character's sexual orientation. Has nothing to do with the actual game. I think it says a lot about people that get riled up that the image they built on these characters and that their waifu is ruined are just symptoms of a much larger problem. Wish people would grow up and move on from sexual nonsense.
The real blasphemy is ever remotely consider Aloy to be waifu material.

Gambit2483

Review bombing was fine since forever until some lesbian narrative got attacked in a big game. That crossed the line for them.
ap6Q7Dt.gif

spawn

If a player does not like a part of the story that the devs put in the game then players should be able to voice their opinion in the review scores so no fuck that Metacritic

tommycronin

Banned
So now they care all of a sudden and they put their foot down for review bombing new dlc for a game that's been out for over a year now. How dare people engage in the 0-10 scale and use the lower end of such numbers. If you accept the 10s you gotta accept the 0s.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

This should go both ways, go after outlets like Wired for their obvious review bombing and remove them from the overall critic scores.

Would also be great if the people reviewing had to connect their Xbox, PSN, Nintendo and/or Steam accounts for proof that they actually played the game and for how long. But that might be too technical, but it's possible and might be the best solution.

HoodWinked

Now people are review bombing the DLC over Metacritic's plans to stop review bombing. :LOL:

Couldn't even take the time to spell check "propaganda".

I'm starting to side with the people who are arguing to delete Metacritic entirely.

N0Z5yzO.jpg
probably someone where English isn't their first language judging on the sentence structure, kind of a bad metric to use to dismiss someone on. I mean how good are you at commenting in another language.

Laptop1991

Getting real reviews is a good thing, not blatant review bombing, but it doesn't help when Amazon and Netflix etc are doing the same thing with their 10 out of 10 shill reviews on sites to protect their own products and rep,

Steam is still the best for me, also if the game is broken but still a good game, then reviews should point that out.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Seriously, I'm tired of this woke shit, politics and the mandatory LGBT checklist in our videogames to please 0,000001% of the humanity.

Review bombing is not fair for a game but apparently the only way to let them know to stop the politics in games, damn it. And moderation is even worse, so now you MUST agree with questionable choice or you get censored. Awesome.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Review bombing was fine since forever until some lesbian narrative got attacked in a big game. That crossed the line for them.

And let's be honest. The only people in this thread who are defending this are ideologues whose politics feel attacked and console warriors.

Metacritic was always a joke and is only ever brought up by children who need validation for their purchases or console warriors.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t know or care what happened but they might as well remove user reviews altogether.
I'm surprised it took them this long to incorporate this moderation. Review bombing on Metacritic has been going on for years and it's one of the reasons why people turned to RottenTomatoes for movie reviews as the idiots are annoying. Hopefully Steam will implement something similar, but that would mean they'd have to get off their asses and do some work.
They cant remove them or moderate them too much because they want the site traffic

Rush2112

Banned
Probably because some extremist gender identity group started making threats against them. No one likes being sued for “promoting hate speech on their platform.” I remember when the same shit happened to TLOU II and no one cared. Things have changed last few years.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
cant believe i said this.
Many years ago i said critic reviews are useless, should refer to user reviews instead.

Nowadays? yikes i prefer critic reviews.

I need to sort out my thoughts regarding representation in art, in general, and video-games in particular, but I think that this controversy is part of a larger issue: The emphasis on scores, from critics and users, to the point of affecting developers' bonuses. This obsession feeds tribalism, which in turn morphs into review bombing (not that all those who review bomb do it because of their allegiance to a platform; but a decent chunk does). The system fosters the very attitudes that it pretends fighting against.
Now, regarding the case of Horizon in particular, there seems to me that there is a case of a bit too much from Sony: Ellie, in TLOU, and now Aloy? Where is the franchise with the heterosexual woman as a protagonist? Why do women have to be lesbians almost necessarily at this point? A normal woman would be uninteresting somehow? The next time a black man is adopted as a lead, I expect him to be gay or bisexual! The paradox here is that media companies and pressure groups portray different sexualities as being somehow more exciting, which is weird, and yet claim that they want to be perceived as absolutely normal. Can't have it both ways, imo.

Last edited:

Phase

I need to sort out my thoughts regarding representation in art, in general, and video-games in particular, but I think that this controversy is part of a larger issue: The emphasis on scores, from critics and users, to the point of affecting developers' bonuses. This obsession feeds tribalism, which in turn morphs into review bombing (not that all those who review bomb do it because of their allegiance to a platform; but a decent chunk does). The system fosters the very attitudes that it pretends fighting against.
Now, regarding the case of Horizon in particular, there seems to me that there is a case of a bit too much from Sony: Ellie, in TLOU, and now Aloy? Where is the franchise with the heterosexual woman as a protagonist? Why do women have to be lesbians almost necessarily at this point? A normal woman would be uninteresting somehow? The next time a black man is adopted as a lead, I expect him to be gay or bisexual! The paradox here is that media companies and pressure groups portray different sexualities as being somehow more exciting, which is weird, and yet claim that they want to be perceived as absolutely normal. Can't have it both ways, imo.
The problem comes when people think their sexual preference is a virtue and therefore include it in everything they do. It's not a virtue and nobody cares.

Top Bottom