• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Users Pick God of War Ragnarok as GOTY 2022

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
godofwarragnarok590.jpg

GamesPoints
1God Of War: Ragnarok
PS5: 94 PS4: tbd
2,580​
2Elden Ring
PS5: 96 XBX: 96 PC: 94
1,788​
3Horizon Forbidden West
PS5: 88 PS4:83
588​
4Stray
PS5: 83 PS4: tbd PC:82
329​
5Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Switch: 89
251​
6A Plague Tale: Requiem
PS5: 82 XBX:85 PC: 82 Switch: 76
247​
7Kirby And The Forgotten Land
Switch: 85
193​
8Tunic
PS5: 86 XBX: 85 PC: 85 Switch: 88
183​
9Sifu
PS5: 81 PC: 79 Switch: 81
174​
10The Last of Us Part 1
PS5: 88 PC: tbd
158​
11Vampire Survivors
XBX: 95 PC: 87 Mobile: 92
141​
12Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Swtich: 83
141​
13Sonic Frontiers
PS5: 71 XBX: 61 PC: 75 Switch: 69
137​
14Bayonetta 3
Switch: 86
131​
15Neon White
PS5: tbd PC: 90 Switch: 88
124​

We don't compile critic top 10 lists for games like we do for other categories, but we certainly do compile reviews. And the best-reviewed (aka highest-scoring) game for just about all of 2022 was Elden Ring, a collaboration between Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin and game designer Hidetaka Miyazaki (of the famed Souls series). Our users also loved that game, but only to an extent: it placed second in voting, trailing another high-scoring title, the Sony exclusive God of War: Ragnarok. PlayStation console exclusives actually accounted for three of users' top 5 overall selections. Two Switch exclusives also landed in the top 10, but there is only one Xbox console exclusive on the list below: Vampire Survivors, at #11. In fact, only five our users' 15 favorites are even playable on an Xbox.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony bribe metacritic.
Exclusive GOTY award under the table offer between Jimbo and Metacritic.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
godofwarragnarok590.jpg

GamesPoints
1God Of War: Ragnarok
PS5: 94 PS4: tbd
2,580​
2Elden Ring
PS5: 96 XBX: 96 PC: 94
1,788​
3Horizon Forbidden West
PS5: 88 PS4:83
588​
4Stray
PS5: 83 PS4: tbd PC:82
329​
5Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Switch: 89
251​
6A Plague Tale: Requiem
PS5: 82 XBX:85 PC: 82 Switch: 76
247​
7Kirby And The Forgotten Land
Switch: 85
193​
8Tunic
PS5: 86 XBX: 85 PC: 85 Switch: 88
183​
9Sifu
PS5: 81 PC: 79 Switch: 81
174​
10The Last of Us Part 1
PS5: 88 PC: tbd
158​
11Vampire Survivors
XBX: 95 PC: 87 Mobile: 92
141​
12Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Swtich: 83
141​
13Sonic Frontiers
PS5: 71 XBX: 61 PC: 75 Switch: 69
137​
14Bayonetta 3
Switch: 86
131​
15Neon White
PS5: tbd PC: 90 Switch: 88
124​

We don't compile critic top 10 lists for games like we do for other categories, but we certainly do compile reviews. And the best-reviewed (aka highest-scoring) game for just about all of 2022 was Elden Ring, a collaboration between Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin and game designer Hidetaka Miyazaki (of the famed Souls series). Our users also loved that game, but only to an extent: it placed second in voting, trailing another high-scoring title, the Sony exclusive God of War: Ragnarok. PlayStation console exclusives actually accounted for three of users' top 5 overall selections. Two Switch exclusives also landed in the top 10, but there is only one Xbox console exclusive on the list below: Vampire Survivors, at #11. In fact, only five our users' 15 favorites are even playable on an Xbox.

Damn, 2022 was clearly not a good year for Xbox.

Big props to Asobo, though. Not that long ago they were just a secondary studio working on 3rd rate titles, mostly movie tie-ins.

Last edited:
I'm trying to enjoy Ragnarok but I'm finding it sluggish and sloggish. Maybe it's just me being old.

Agree with most of the rest of the list though

Ar¢tos

Correct choice. The combat in Ragnarok is way more fun than any souls game.
Meh...
Mod Hyperion Grapple to extra stun, equip Hardened War Handles and Hyperion Grapple your way to win!

You only need to really fight bosses, but even for most those you can just repeat another formula over and over, like for bosses that can't be grabbed, just spam Shield bash + instant Flame Whiplash + R2 combo over and over, even better with the Hilt of Hofud and the Emblem of the Nine Realms.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Metacritic users failed to get gud enough to enjoy Elden Ring.

Tbh I think some berserker bosses are harder than a lot ER bosses on hardest diff, assuming u dont handicap urself in ER on purpose. Not saying they are better designed in Ragnarok, not all, most are tedious af, but yeah.

Anyway, undeserved first place imo. Improved over the first game but also weaker as a game. ER doesnt deserve it either because its not even the best FROM game, it just had more wider audience approach which is why its popularity exploded, with most of the users never playing a souls game before ER. Nice to see HFW in top 3 tho. That game deserves all the achievements for its tech alone. Nice to see Tunic as well, its my indie of the year.

El Muerto

Can't believe Vampire Survivors is on there, and beat Bayo 3, Neon White, and Sonic. The game is essentially a freeware game you would find on gamehippo 20 years ago. A twin stick shooter but you use one stick and play as a ripped off Alucard from Castlevania, Great Valuecard

BOTW had uniqueness going for it. Eric Williams failed to enhance what was a great game and actually made it worse. I hope he never touches a GOW game again.

One is a sequel to a game that closes the story that was already a huge reinvention. Lets see if tears of the kingdom is a reinvention of BOTW

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lmao. This right here is the reason to not pay any attention to metacritic.

Gow ragnarok is the most underwhelming game of the last I don't know how many years. It's a mess. A great attempt of how to make zero cohesion in a story and just slap bits together with no thread of story to tie it all together.

I've put it down and just not even bothered to go back to it.

If someone told me I would do that to a god of war game I'd laugh in their face.

Its the most ok game of the year.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Gow ragnarok is the most underwhelming game of the last I don't know how many years. It's a mess. A great attempt of how to make zero cohesion in a story and just slap bits together with know thread of story to tie it all together.

If someone told me I would do that to a god of war game I'd laugh in their face.

My casual gaming neighbor was like HEY MAN GOW2 IS COMING *EXCITEMENT*

Took all my social skills to not indirectly insult him. I was like yeah... *blank face* yeah cool man. Not my game but yeah... cool!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Gow ragnarok is the most underwhelming game of the last I don't know how many years. It's a mess. A great attempt of how to make zero cohesion in a story and just slap bits together with no thread of story to tie it all together.

Crazy pills. GoW Ragnarok is epic

Gaiff

For me Ragnarok >>> GoW 2018
Can't agree there. Ragnarok feels like they shoved two games worth of storyline into one and it's bloated. Too many characters, too much talking, too many cutscenes, and terrible pacing killed the game for me.

2018 was almost perfect in terms of story/gameplay ratio.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
BOTW had uniqueness going for it. Eric Williams failed to enhance what was a great game and actually made it worse. I hope he never touches a GOW game again.
Remember when Cory Barlog tweeted, "ERIC WILLIAMS. Remember the name!"

No one will remember him. Makes a game called ragnorak, and then has Ragnorak show up in the background. What a visionary!

Fredrik

How long did you play? I got bored in the middle just before getting the spear, stopped for awhile, then went back and finished it after a short break. I really liked the last 10 hours or so, the story ramped up and the action became a lot more varied with the new weapon. They rushed the final level though, big letdown.

Hobbygaming

Can't agree there. Ragnarok feels like they shoved two games worth of storyline into one and it's bloated. Too many characters, too much talking, too many cutscenes, and terrible pacing killed the game for me.

2018 was almost perfect in terms of story/gameplay ratio.
It's the opposite for me. Ragnarok has the much better combat, better story imo but it doesn't work without 2018's story I know. Every character was very well written in Ragnarok and the endgame content is a lot better. The boss fights are better besides The Stranger

Gaiff

It's the opposite for me. Ragnarok has the much better combat, better story imo but it doesn't work without 2018's story I know. Every character was very well written in Ragnarok and the endgame content is a lot better. The boss fights are better besides The Stranger
I agree with better combat but I don't think it was improved enough to make up for the major setbacks it took in everything else.

Disagree with better characters. Kratos and Atreus are horribly written in Ragnarok. I do appreciate Thor and Odin, but none of the new characters were as compelling as the ones introduced in 2018 and the ones already there weren't improved to any significant degree except for perhaps Mimir.

And yeah, the boss fights are definitely better. I just wish so many of them weren't gated behind long chains of sidequests. 2018 had a major weakness in that aspect.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's the most I've disagreed with the general consensus since FF7 Remake. As far as games I was able to play, obviously.
And like FF7 Remake, I felt the problems were rooted in the awful pacing with constant stop-and-start gameplay.

Hobbygaming

I don't see how anyone likes 2018 Atreus over the Atreus in Ragnarok. Same with Kratos but we can agree to disagree on that

CZY

Ooff, here comes the triggered horde ready to defend the most empty, repetitive and worst user experience open world game of the last times!
I come in to read discussion about the games on the list and it’s more like here comes these posts. Ironic af.

Last edited:
Top Bottom