• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Users Pick God of War Ragnarok as GOTY 2022

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed the game and even platinum it but my GOTY....absolutely not. Even NG+ patch comes out I dont ever see myself replaying this game because it has too many slow moments and I dont think puzzles all that fun in 2nd run.

My biggest problem with the story is they try too hard to build up Ragnarok and yet in the end it amounts to nothing note worthy.

And I get Kratos is not same "monster" as old games but in Ragnarok his too apologetic and trying give advise to everyone is way too out of character for him in my opinion.

Neolombax

GOW Ragnarok being more accessible is precisely why its my personal GOTY rather than Elden Ring, however fantastic that game was. I admit I am not that great at souls type games, and I dont have the time to get better at it. Ragnarok had the right level of challenge and being able to experience the whole product felt amazing.

gow3isben

Elden Ring was just critic bait audience knows what’s up IGN votes had millions that’s a wrap better luck next time From

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How long did you play? I got bored in the middle just before getting the spear, stopped for awhile, then went back and finished it after a short break. I really liked the last 10 hours or so, the story ramped up and the action became a lot more varied with the new weapon. They rushed the final level though, big letdown.

I think I'm about 35 hours in, I've got the spear I'm with boy. Just got the moon or something for the wolves.

I binged god of war 2018 but this game is so disconnected. Its almost like 25 devs teams with the same engine got given objectives for their part.

"OK so your gonna do boy on his own...."
"You lot, you're gonna do kratos with woman section"
"You lost do kratos with boy bit..."

OK, all done....right how do we weave all this together.....ahh fuck it just chuck your sticky posts at the wall and we'll just put them together. I'm the director and I don't really know what's going on after Cory left.

It's just a very OK game, strip the Sony budget from it and its like a 7 out of 10.

I had much more of a memorable, great time with plague tale.

Fredrik

I think I'm about 35 hours in, I've got the spear I'm with boy. Just got the moon or something for the wolves.

I binged god of war 2018 but this game is so disconnected. Its almost like 25 devs teams with the same engine got given objectives for their part.

"OK so your gonna do boy on his own...."
"You lot, you're gonna do kratos with woman section"
"You lost do kratos with boy bit..."

OK, all done....right how do we weave all this together.....ahh fuck it just chuck your sticky posts at the wall and we'll just put them together. I'm the director and I don't really know what's going on after Cory left.

It's just a very OK game, strip the Sony budget from it and its like a 7 out of 10.

I had much more of a memorable, great time with plague tale.
I agree that it lacks some focus, the pacing isn’t good. But a 7/10 game?
I think the action in itself is about as good as it could be. Then it’s a fairly good and grown up story on top of that.
It’s no Elden Ring though, but that goes for most games.

I agree with better combat but I don't think it was improved enough to make up for the major setbacks it took in everything else.

Disagree with better characters. Kratos and Atreus are horribly written in Ragnarok. I do appreciate Thor and Odin, but none of the new characters were as compelling as the ones introduced in 2018 and the ones already there weren't improved to any significant degree except for perhaps Mimir.

And yeah, the boss fights are definitely better. I just wish so many of them weren't gated behind long chains of sidequests. 2018 had a major weakness in that aspect.
This is a lie or a severe misinterpretation. Every character in Ragnarok was given more emotional depth and had character arcs, EXCEPT for Mimir and Odin. Even Kratos is more emotionally expressive. You go on Quests and learn more about those characters backgrounds, before 2018 GOW.

Also what are these major setbacks you speak of? What features did Ragnarok omit from Gow 2018?

Gaiff

Gold Member
This is a lie or a severe misinterpretation. Every character in Ragnarok was given more emotional depth and had character arcs, EXCEPT for Mimir and Odin. Even Kratos is more emotionally expressive. You go on Quests and learn more about those characters backgrounds, before 2018 GOW.

Also what are these major setbacks you speak of? What features did Ragnarok omit from Gow 2018?
Except that Kratos wasn't improved. He was talking so damn much that Freya straight up told him to STFU. His actions and responses are completely out of character. Atreus yelling at him and calling him an asshole? Stupid as hell. While I understand Atreus' need for his father to trust him and stop treating him like a baby, insulting his dad is the opposite of how he was raised. Raising his voice at him? Sure, he can lose his cool. Name calling? Nah, that's stupid writing.

Major setbacks are the awful awful pacing of the game. They went way overboard with the puzzles. Alfheim was a damn puzzle every other room. The game has so many damn cutscenes and slow moments you cannot skip that replaying it is a chore. The narrative and mechanics don't have enough depth or interesting elements to carry it for 40 hours. It stretches itself too thin and the ending is weak as fuck as a result.

As I said, this story feels like it should have been spread over two games. The Ragnarok part was nothing short of laughable. Tyr for all the hype he got in the first game ended up being a major disappointment. Sat on his ass the entire game because it wasn't actually Tyr and when you find the real one, he spends his time doing taichi. The story of the first game while far more simple was leaner and better told. If Eric Williams knew what he was doing, he would have dropped the single camera cut. This helped the first game while it was an hindrance in this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom