• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic vs Opencritic. GAF Decides.

Which Aggregator you like more

• Metacritic

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Opencritic

Votes: 89 65.0%

• Total voters

Mozzarella

My only problem with OpenCritic is that it gathers all reviews regardless of the platform, sometimes a game will run poorly one one platform resulting in score taking a hit.
In this case Metacritic is more reliable, otherwise i like how Opencritic is designed more.
Opencritic is more like Rottentomatoes.

My only problem with OpenCritic is that it gathers all reviews regardless of the platform, sometimes a game will run poorly one one platform resulting in score taking a hit.
In this case Metacritic is more reliable, otherwise i like how Opencritic is designed more.
Opencritic is more like Rottentomatoes.
But how many places actually give different scores based off of platform, regardless of technical difficulties?

Mozzarella

But how many places actually give different scores based off of platform, regardless of technical difficulties?
I think Cyberpunk situation is a good example. PS4 scores were 4/10 and 3/10, and PC scores were 8 or 9 out of 10.
Its undeserved to merge them together. Although they did put a notice in the main page, now its over and its taken down, and the bad score remains.
Edit: Actually the notice is still there, lol.

Last edited:
I think Cyberpunk situation is a good example. PS4 scores were 4/10 and 3/10, and PC scores were 8 or 9 out of 10.
Its undeserved to merge them together. Although they did put a notice in the main page, now its over and its taken down, and the bad score remains.
Edit: Actually the notice is still there, lol.
Ok, fair enough. But, that was an extremely drastic case.

arvfab

Banned
Neither. While I wouldn't use it, I think a customized and configurable score aggregator would be much more valuable. One could select which reviews they care about, maybe even give them custom weight.

Disclaimer: if someone steals the idea and becomes rich thanks to it because I'm too lazy to do it myself, please contact me privately.

Aenima

Opencritic scores are better but i usually use Metacritic to read the various review sumaries. I dont make my game purchase decisions based on matascores though.

Unk Adams

Banned
Neither. Both are fucking retarded.

People need to stop relying on these mindless cunts and instead focus on cultivating their own ability to do research. Watch gameplay, see demos and trailers, maybe a couple twitch/YouTubers who you can somewhat trust to provide a good overview of what works/doesn’t work/is in the game.
The worst are the dipshits who don't even play a game and belittle others who enjoy it because it didn't get the highest ratings. I've played some great games that got low averages and people will talk shit about it because the "critics" gave it low ratings. But then you asked the same people if they actually played the game and no. You can rely on reviews for guidance if you want, but don't be a braindead cunt who lets others do the thinking for you.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The worst are the dipshits who don't even play a game and belittle others who enjoy it because it didn't get the highest ratings. I've played some great games that got low averages and people will talk shit about it because the "critics" gave it low ratings. But then you asked the same people if they actually played the game and no. You can rely on reviews for guidance if you want, but don't be a braindead cunt who lets others do the thinking for you.

Exactly! Reviews are only there, at most, to give you an idea of what hte game is like and where it could possibly falter.

Iced Arcade

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The worst are the dipshits who don't even play a game and belittle others who enjoy it because it didn't get the highest ratings
That's so true. Like are you playing a game or do you play review scores? Sites like Metacritic are nothing but an approx. based on a bunch of critic scores.
There is no reason to act like the opinion of critics is on a pedestrian, especially when you didn't even play the fucking game. It gets on my nerves when I see people being so fixated on this shit.
Niche games in particular usually don't do overly well with mainstream critics. Some of my favorite games of all time are niche and have like scores in the 50s or 60s. According to those people I'm wrong for liking it though, because the number on a website is too low. Another problem is imo, that critics are often way too scared of the backlash they receive if they are real for once and say what they actually think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amiga

Trust user scores more. but in general scores matter little to me now.

Things that matter:

- demo
- developer track record
- gameplay clips
- a few specific reviewers like ACG and SkillUp.

Both the site reviews are separated by like 1-2 points at most so who cares i just hope WW3 don't start so that i can enjoy all the games coming out in 2022

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The one that rates Destiny higher

incase of a tie, one that rates returnal lower….

I have my priorities

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I base all of my buying decisions on NeoGAF comments arguing about 1 fps advantages so aggregator sites mean nothing to me.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Didn't even know about opencritic. I don't use either tbh. At the beginning things like rotten tomatoes and metacritic were okay, but it doesn't take long for anything popular to become controlled and a mass-groupthink in nature.

I actually just deleted my reddit because the whole vote system and subchannel system forces echochambers and battles of social capital over desire for objective truths. It started to do the same thing to me.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I like to watch Angry Reviews from Joe and I love the Digital Foundry stuff, no scores, they only present the product, share their opinions and I decide if I like it or not. To me that hold more value than the average score of a bunch of people I don't know or trust, most reviewers and critics are shit anyway, why would I care about what the hive mind thinks...

both GIF

But seriously I don't see a huge difference most of the time. I like OpenCritic slightly better based on the "recommended" percentage, as well as the fact they don't give more weight to certain critics, but scores are almost the same between both of them most of the time.

Robb

Gold Member
I usually go to Metacritic out of habit when checking averages, but I don’t have a strong preference regarding either.

Top Bottom