• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear GAF: The Community Thread

DonJorginho

Banned
MGSV has the best gameplay systems of any game, and won't be topped for a long long time.

So many minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years sunk into it, despite it's narrative shortcomings.

Last edited:
Futurasound Productions has put together another outstanding video on the evolution of the Metal Gear series:

It’s fascinating how much novelty every entry in the main series brought to the table. The influence on gaming as a whole can’t be denied. I just wish the video mentioned Portable Ops as it did the bite-sized missions and soldier recruiting before Peace Walker.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Guys, MGS2's unveil back at E3 2000 for PS2, was such a monumental event, that Konami Japan released a DVD called "MGS2 The Trailer" .

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

And of course, be bound to remember how Kojima hid Raiden from the MGS2 E3 2001 trailer, and everyone thought that they would be playing as Solid Snake throughout the (entire) game

Also be sure to remember how MGS2 submerged after E3 2001 (i.e. media blackout, no more interviews etc). Why? Well Kojima explained it.

""When I was flying back from E3 in May, I was really worried," admits Kojima. "Not worried in the sense that we might not be able to finish the game. I was worried that it would be absolutely impossible for us to finish Metal Gear Solid 2 this year, the year of the snake." Hidden behind closed doors for most of the year as part of a self-imposed media and communications blackout, Kojima says that what happened behind the scenes was a frantic race to realize the impossible. "I must tell you, I was sitting here in June and thinking that no matter how hard anyone on the team could work we would not finish the game this year. And that was the toughest point in my 15 years in the game industry." "

quoting VulcanRaven VulcanRaven cause his reply has good content and should be in this thread too

Kuranghi

no worries. it's not a name you see often enough to instinctively spell correctly.

Even more annoying is that I thought it was "VerrazanTo" in my head and I managed to remove the errant T but added an errant N at the start which should've been with the other one at the end.

giphy.gif

Anyway.

I love MGS 2, maybe its time to replay Substance on PC. Never played it at 4K before, hopefully the cutscenes are in-engine so as not to have a jarring difference to game graphics. I'm playing Arkham City right now and seeing it at effectively 8K res and then you start a video and its like 720p@25fps (with absolutely awful stuttering/frame-pacing issues) kinda ruins the immersion a bit lol.

A good thing is that its so old I can prob fire some SGSSAA on it even if the resolution is limited in-game. Although I fear for what that would mean scaling performance-wise with the explosions, water and other transparency effects. I bet they weren't properly optimised for any res above 480p.

Anyone here played Substance on PC recently?

Last edited:
Even more annoying is that I thought it was "VerrazanTo" in my head and I managed to remove the errant T but added an errant N at the start which should've been with the other one at the end.

giphy.gif

Anyway.

I love MGS 2, maybe its time to replay Substance on PC. Never played it at 4K before, hopefully the cutscenes are in-engine so as not to have a jarring difference to game graphics. I'm playing Arkham City right now and seeing it at effectively 8K res and then you start a video and its like 720p@25fps (with absolutely awful stuttering/frame-pacing issues) kinda ruins the immersion a bit lol.

A good thing is that its so old I can prob fire some SGSSAA on it even if the resolution is limited in-game. Although I fear for what that would mean scaling performance-wise with the explosions, water and other transparency effects. I bet they weren't properly optimised for any res above 480p.

Anyone here played Substance on PC recently?
Just finished playing Substance on PC recently after I picked it up from GOG. I installed the fix that's been used with the pc version for a while now because it was recommended by pcgamingwiki and on a few forums. (It's called 'V's fix'.).Just allows some tweaks like proper widescreen etc.
Also had to turn off Depth of Field as it sometimes fucked up characters heads with a weird blur behind them. Most effects seem the same although a couple of in-engine cut scenes are very dark for some reason. Also any video like the intro, flash-back scenes, real-life footage is low-res because it was made for CRT tvs. Framerate was a s smooth as the PS2 version.
Gameplay wise, it played fine with an X360 controller but no analogue face buttons though. i don't know if it works with any PS pads.
Being Substance thge VR missions were all there and I had great fun with it.

Playing Snake Eater on PCXS2 now and I prefer that every time.

Kuranghi

Just finished playing Substance on PC recently after I picked it up from GOG. I installed the fix that's been used with the pc version for a while now because it was recommended by pcgamingwiki and on a few forums. (It's called 'V's fix'.).Just allows some tweaks like proper widescreen etc.
Also had to turn off Depth of Field as it sometimes fucked up characters heads with a weird blur behind them. Most effects seem the same although a couple of in-engine cut scenes are very dark for some reason. Also any video like the intro, flash-back scenes, real-life footage is low-res because it was made for CRT tvs. Framerate was a s smooth as the PS2 version.
Gameplay wise, it played fine with an X360 controller but no analogue face buttons though. i don't know if it works with any PS pads.
Being Substance thge VR missions were all there and I had great fun with it.

Playing Snake Eater on PCXS2 now and I prefer that every time.

I try my Dualshock 3 on the PC to see if it still uses the pressure sensitive face buttons, but its doubtful I'd say. Which is a shame because standing on tip toes and letting off square lightly to not fire the gun are really handy. Although I can still do the latter by unequiping I think. Might have to mod in the coloured wigs, because I got most of them back in the day but never did a run where I used all of them. At least brown and blue wigs mean I don't need to worry about ammo and oxygen so I can cruise through the game in general and not have to worry when underwater, I wonder if it affects EE as well.

I can handle the video being low res thats cool as long as the game is decent looking. Arkham City was beyond shit, I'm playing Origins now and its quite a bit better but still maybe 720p and 30fps.

Ta for the tips. Its gone on sale as well.

Last edited:
I try my Dualshock 3 on the PC to see if it still uses the pressure sensitive face buttons, but its doubtful I'd say. Which is a shame because standing on tip toes and letting off square lightly to not fire the gun are really handy. Although I can still do the latter by unequiping I think. Might have to mod in the coloured wigs, because I got most of them back in the day but never did a run where I used all of them. At least brown and blue wigs mean I don't need to worry about ammo and oxygen so I can cruise through the game in general and not have to worry when underwater, I wonder if it affects EE as well.

Yeah unequiping is the only way around this. Lol, I never knew about the wigs. Just read up on them now, something about collecting the dog tags (which I never bothered with) You learn something new every day.

Kuranghi

Yeah unequiping is the only way around this. Lol, I never knew about the wigs. Just read up on them now, something about collecting the dog tags (which I never bothered with) You learn something new every day.

I don't think I can stomach another 15 playthroughs just to play with wigs, so cheating it is. How funny are the wigs :messenger_tears_of_joy: Did you also know about the sunglasses? Every 3rd playthrough on the same save file Snake and Raiden wear different stylish sunglasses lol

The 2nd link has stuff I didn't know about, reading it tomorrow.

edit - This one is amazing detail: "If you wear Cardboard box 5 (the Zone of the Enders box -- the one with the eye symbol), seagulls will not attack you. Birds in general are afraid of big eyes, as seen on rice fields where "big eyes" are used to scare away birds."

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
that mechanic that was used to kill the End by pushing your PS2/PS3 date ahead a week was also used in MGS2 apparently. If you give Snake the shaver, he will be shaved when you see him again in Arsenal (not in the HD Collection) and on the codec screen (in the HD Collection). But if you make a save and speed up the date to 7 days (8 on the HD Collection), he will regrow his facial hair.

matty3092

Did anyone watch threedog's marathon of mgs at the weekend? For those that don't know him and 2 others run a twitch channel called Outer Heaven that does week long marathons of the mgs games in depth playthroughs etc

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Did anyone watch threedog's marathon of mgs at the weekend? For those that don't know him and 2 others run a twitch channel called Outer Heaven that does week long marathons of the mgs games in depth playthroughs etc
they split the channel. DRK has outerheaven. Threedogg streams metal gear on his individual channel, except for marathons, where drk and threedogg alternate channels.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I haven't watched them in over a year why did they split the channel and where did uKnightmare go?
knight is doing his own this on his channel. "burned out by metal gear" "body cant do marathons". they split the channel because of taxes. when youre in chat again, theres a chat command with the official reason.

SafeOrAlone

Banned

Still the best drk tweet lol. And I love MGS3.

That's pretty funny. I love 2 and 3 equally, but I actually prefer 2, 3, 4 and 5 to 1. Maybe I was too young to appreciate it. I finally finished 1 after beating 2 and 3 multiple times. It felt like a step backwards.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That's pretty funny. I love 2 and 3 equally, but I actually prefer 2, 3, 4 and 5 to 1. Maybe I was too young to appreciate it. I finally finished 1 after beating 2 and 3 multiple times. It felt like a step backwards.

It certainly has the most basic gameplay. Guards didn't really communicate with each other until MGS2. MGS1 is fully 3D but the gameplay is very much 2D. The Z-axis is only a factor for the PSG1 and Stinger. Still 100%'d the vr missions twice.

But 1 arguably still has the best English localization. Its genuinely some of the best voice acting in a game, even with Mei Ling's exaggerated accent.

1 also has the best atmosphere, due mostly to the setting & the PS1's own draw distance limitations. Its dark, metallic, cold. You feel it in every area.

What Phantom Pain SHOULD'VE been:

More populated open world.
Skulls should have patrolled areas. Sehlathantrhopus (wtf) should have also.
Walker gears everywhere. Different types too. Like the flying ones from MGS2.
No Volgin Man on Fire. Stupid and pointless.
Eli developed better. he should have really been an acolyte of Venom.
I should have been able to develop and use all sorts of mechs and gears on missions. He's Big Boss! He WANTS gears. Uses them in the next two games (Metal Gear 1 & 2). Let's see him create and use those things as he grows Outer Heaven.

More motivation for Venom Snake to become evil Big Boss. Skull Face was a fine villain, but had lame interactions with Venom. Poorly written.

He released a "language virus"... um, ok?

Oh, what could have been...

Eli (Liquid) should have been a "buddy" after you bring him in. He could have driven the Walker Gear on missions.

KOJIMAAAAA!!!

Why didnt you write this thing better!!!

MY version of Phantom Pain:

2 connected but divided parts in an open world setting. Zanzibarland and "jungle"

Big Boss aka "Venom"

Plot: Big Boss must build his army in order to counteract Skullface's evil plans. With the help of Frank Yaegar, you will build a Motherbase fortress, get recruits, and develop Walker Gears. Watch your hero descend into evil as the pains of war cut deep.

5 years later -

Solid Snake "rookie"

Plot: Snake must survive the harsh jungle as he attempts to reach the Motherbase fortress of "Venom", find the missing Foxhound member "Gray Fox" and destroy Metal Gear.

The recruits and developed weapons and walker gears from part one become the enemies of part two. See old friends become bitter enemies.

Can you pull the trigger?

Top Bottom