• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising 10th Anniversary Event confirmed by Platinum Games

Nankatsu

If it is a game by any chance, most likely a remaster, don't get hyped.

ben carson t GIF

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

is there a nice mod for metal gear rising on PC ? something that enhance the graphics on it ? will probably be better than a remaster being sold at high prices by these companies / devs these days anyway.

Kuranghi

But that's still more than we cam hope for at the moment.Fucking Metal Gear Rising Revengeance in 4k at 60fps with better textures.Pure Bliss.And yes I know PC version does exist but for us console plebs we need a curent gen MGRR.

Even on PC can't play at 4K60 properly without VRR because when you use patches to run it above 1080p (because it doesn't acquire the actual available resolutions from either Windows or the display) and are outputting via HDMI its framerate capped/v-sync'd to 59hz so there a frametime spike every second that I found unbearable so I put it on the back burner until I have a VRR display (I use a 2016 TV, not a monitor) or it gets remastered.

So TL;DR it would be a boon even for PC users.

Kacho

Even on PC can't play at 4K60 properly without VRR because when you use patches to run it above 1080p (because it doesn't acquire the actual available resolutions from either Windows or the display) and are outputting via HDMI its framerate capped/v-sync'd to 59hz so there a frametime spike every second that I found unbearable so I put it on the back burner until I have a VRR display (I use a 2016 TV, not a monitor) or it gets remastered.

So TL;DR it would be a boon even for PC users.
Yep. The issues you mentioned and no ultrawide. We could do with a proper PC port with the TLC it deserves.

Gojiira

But that's still more than we cam hope for at the moment.Fucking Metal Gear Rising Revengeance in 4k at 60fps with better textures.Pure Bliss.And yes I know PC version does exist but for us console plebs we need a curent gen MGRR.
No it needs more than just that.
I dont know why MGR has this odd rose tinted glasses outlook about it. It NEEDS QoL changes beyond just the 4k/60. It needed these same QoL changes back at release too.
For instance it needs on the fly weapon swapping as a MUST. A dedicated block/parry button as well.
But knowing Platinum if they do ‘remaster’ it, it will be a lazy port and the same poor design choices will remain.

Kuranghi

Yep. The issues you mentioned and no ultrawide. We could do with a proper PC port with the TLC it deserves.

@__Silent_ AKA CookieMonster told me he may do a patch and properly fix it at some point but no plans as of yet.

Holammer

is there a nice mod for metal gear rising on PC ? something that enhance the graphics on it ? will probably be better than a remaster being sold at high prices by these companies / devs these days anyway.
There's a couple of them on NexusMods, this texture mod looks great. Add RTGI with ReShade and call it a day.

Kuranghi

One of the best soundtracks in gaming!
A remake would be great, but i won't say no to a remaster.

Indeed, I have this shampoo and almost every time I use it I quiet-scream the name of it to the tune of the Rising theme:

IMG_4287-scaled.jpg

Or I'll say in a Russian accent while opening the cap: "That's it Raiden, split it wide open!". I'm a strange man.

Last edited:

The Stig

No it needs more than just that.
I dont know why MGR has this odd rose tinted glasses outlook about it. It NEEDS QoL changes beyond just the 4k/60. It needed these same QoL changes back at release too.
For instance it needs on the fly weapon swapping as a MUST. A dedicated block/parry button as well.
But knowing Platinum if they do ‘remaster’ it, it will be a lazy port and the same poor design choices will remain.
those QoL improvements would be absolutely awesome.

edit - id also like to chime in and register my LOVE for this game. as a big MGS fan the game very much came from left field for me but I gave it a chance and boy did it deliver. this game is amazing in it's awesomeness and ridiculousness.

also the game literally predicted our last President. even his slogan. what the hell?

Last edited:

Serge85

oh, so you just want a different game, that's not a "QoL" change rofl, you literally want to change how the core mechanic of guarding, and thus the entire combat system works in the game; smh some of y'all man.
They want narrative driven games... you know, life is to busy with work, marriage, kids, etc to dedicate some time learning a game :rollseyes:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The game is awesome but does feel a little rushed and bare-bones. Quite the interesting development story, for those who don't know. Kojima tried to pass the game onto his team, but they could not nail the gameplay or overall concept. Platinum took over and developed the game quite quickly at essentially the last minute.

So it's quite short and feels a little empty, but the core action is fantastic. Up there with Ninja Gaiden or Sekiro, in terms of melee combat.

A remaster would be okay, but I really think it deserves a sequel.

Gojiira

oh, so you just want a different game, that's not a "QoL" change rofl, you literally want to change how the core mechanic of guarding, and thus the entire combat system works in the game; smh some of y'all man.
Are you really this dense? Block being on the same button as Attack is stupid, it was stupid back then and its still stupid now. Swapping it from one button to another IS A QOL CHANGE ffs…
Smh at some of y’all man.

Gojiira

They want narrative driven games... you know, life is to busy with work, marriage, kids, etc to dedicate some time learning a game :rollseyes:
It has nothing to do with any of that and everything to do with how godawful and underbaked a lot of the gameplay was…

I've come to the realization that companies can keep releasing the same great games every 10 years or so with all of the latest tech on board, and I'd buy it every time.

I want a remaster. 4K 120 is all it would take. $30.

treemk

Banned
Are you really this dense? Block being on the same button as Attack is stupid, it was stupid back then and its still stupid now. Swapping it from one button to another IS A QOL CHANGE ffs…
Smh at some of y’all man.
The way block works is a key part of why the game feels so fun to play (once you master block) and its not even that hard. The in game guide that tells you how to do it is a little obtuse and could be improved, my first playthrough I managed to get further in to the game without understanding it than I should have which made the difficulty feel brutal. Otherwise it should not be changed, it's not QOL, it would either have to dumb the game down or actually make it harder. Throwing in forward joystick moves with your attacks to time blocks is very fluid. I think the blade wolf fight was the "you must learn how to block now" fight and I managed it without learning, which was a nightmare. Somehow I made it all the way to Sam without learning it which is probably an impossible boss without blocking decently well.

Gojiira

The way block works is a key part of why the game feels so fun to play (once you master block) and its not even that hard. The in game guide that tells you how to do it is a little obtuse and could be improved, my first playthrough I managed to get further in to the game without understanding it than I should have which made the difficulty feel brutal. Otherwise it should not be changed, it's not QOL, it would either have to dumb the game down or actually make it harder. Throwing in forward joystick moves with your attacks to time blocks is very fluid. I think the blade wolf fight was the "you must learn how to block now" fight and I managed it without learning, which was a nightmare. Somehow I made it all the way to Sam without learning it which is probably an impossible boss without blocking decently well.
Me wanting a objective improvement does not mean I found it difficult…
On the fly weapon switching objectively makes the game better. Why? Because pausing to swap weapons breaks the flow of combat and even at the time MGR was criticised for.
But Im not going to argue my point on blocking to each their own.

If we get MGR2 I really want wall running(which was meant to be in the first game) and on the fly weapon switching. Better destruction/slicing physics too like imagine wall running across a tall building and slicing it so debris falls on enemies below.

Also more weapons and they should be fleshed out like the elastic pole not the sai and cleaver with only a few moves for each. And there should be at least 10-12 levels too.

Narratively I want to see Vamp and/or Solidus Snake return somehow(nanomachines maybe?) because of their personal connection to Raiden they would make for great rival/antagonist dynamics. Sam should come back but this time he is on Raiden's side.

SomeGit

Same, with it being the same button as light attack you get the feeling of always being on the offensive, parry becomes almost a rythm game to the opponents attacks. It's great, making it it's own seperate button would ruin that.
If there's one thing I wish was it's own button is the dodge, I get that to keep the feeling above the game discourages you to dodge (I think it wasn't even a default move), but the un-parryable attacks were a bit akward without it.

SkylineRKR

I wasn't too thrilled about this game sadly. I felt it looked ugly, the level design was bad, the camera was bad (way too close) and S ranking stuff was tough because you could easily miss fights or civilians would die within a split second. I also didn't like the weapon system.

The block was fine though, it was the same as in Bayonetta with the bracelet. It was a Parry if you will. Personally I feel comfortable with a block on the movement stick. You don't have to use another button for it.

If we get MGR2 I really want wall running(which was meant to be in the first game) and on the fly weapon switching. Better destruction/slicing physics too like imagine wall running across a tall building and slicing it so debris falls on enemies below.

Also more weapons and they should be fleshed out like the elastic pole not the sai and cleaver with only a few moves for each. And there should be at least 10-12 levels too.

Narratively I want to see Vamp and/or Solidus Snake return somehow(nanomachines maybe?) because of their personal connection to Raiden they would make for great rival/antagonist dynamics. Sam should come back but this time he is on Raiden's side.

Yeah the game was really rushed. I always felt the extra weapons were meant to offer more. They were there but I saw little reason to use them over the sword. I believe they were exclusively bound to the hard slash button.

I wasn't too thrilled about this game sadly. I felt it looked ugly, the level design was bad, the camera was bad (way too close) and S ranking stuff was tough because you could easily miss fights or civilians would die within a split second. I also didn't like the weapon system.

The block was fine though, it was the same as in Bayonetta with the bracelet. It was a Parry if you will. Personally I feel comfortable with a block on the movement stick. You don't have to use another button for it.

Yeah the game was really rushed. I always felt the extra weapons were meant to offer more. They were there but I saw little reason to use them over the sword. I believe they were exclusively bound to the hard slash button.
Game should have been delayed to PS4/Xbox One. Feels like half a game. It's still extremely good despite being half a game so it would be god tier if platinum fully realised their vision.

Pejo

"Remember when we made good games?"

Love Rising though, my expectations are firmly in check about what we're getting. Probably some art, some developer commentary, Kamiya eating a cake and blocking some people on Twitter - that's about where I'm at with what's going to happen.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd be completely satisfied with a 4K re-release on modern consoles. Loved the game when it first came out, but the PC port had some issues (as pointed out above). I just want something polished.

Not sure how much faith I have in Platinum to do a sequel, but obviously, it'd be cool if that was in the works, too. Somehow, I kind of doubt it though.

Top Bottom