• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear series has sold over 59.5 million copies

Draugoth

Gold Member

Metal Gear series has sold over 59.5 million copies​

Konami has updated the total sales figures for their franchises, and we learn that Metal Gear has now sold 59.5 million copies, as of December 2022. The previous number was 59.3 million as of September 2022, so an additional 200,000 Metal Gear games were sold during the fourth quarter of last year, a smaller number than earlier quarters.

Of course, it needs to be said that several of the series’ titles are still missing from digital storefronts, something Konami has promised to remedy but so far has not. There have also been several rumors circulating of Konami bringing the Metal Gear series back in some form or another, but so far none of them have materialized. The company did however recently revive their Silent Hill series with several new game announcements in collaboration with outside studios.
Source: Konami Official Website

Kuranghi

Welp, that's 59.5 million people bored to tears by pretentious cutscenes amirite?

Happy Chris Jericho GIF by AEWonTV

I love Metal Gear Solid so much, I think I'll replay 1,2 and 4 soon. I bet if I do a remaster/remake will be announced mid run though, thats what happened with Dead Space and RE4 recently, doh!

Kuranghi

Hopefully a remake soon

Oh fuck you've just reminded me I never got all the frogs in 3, bloody nightmare getting those motorbike section ones! Saving the game every 20 seconds and reloading the checkpoint 50x to try and whip-pan the bazooka and catch it lol I don't want to imagine what it would be like with just a pistol :messenger_grimmacing_

SaintALia

I should properly play these games one day. Maybe MGS5(since it's on PC).

I played a bit of the first game and watched my friend play a lot of the second game. I kinda tuned out when he became a white haired naked guy doing cartwheels, and talking to his girlfriend about King Kong or some shit, and how there was nothing in his room, and is it the best time to discuss this while being on a world saving mission? Then a video overlay in the corner of a real life Japanese woman started playing, I just didn't know what was going on.

My friend likes 100%-ing games so maybe he was just doing extra stuff, or I'm mis-remembering.

RaduN

I should properly play these games one day. Maybe MGS5(since it's on PC).

I played a bit of the first game and watched my friend play a lot of the second game. I kinda tuned out when he became a white haired naked guy doing cartwheels, and talking to his girlfriend about King Kong or some shit, and how there was nothing in his room, and is it the best time to discuss this while being on a world saving mission? Then a video overlay in the corner of a real life Japanese woman started playing, I just didn't know what was going on.

My friend likes 100%-ing games so maybe he was just doing extra stuff, or I'm mis-remembering.
MGS is not for everyone

SaintALia

MGS is not for everyone
I did the stealth elements and the story and gameplay, just the things that it was doing through me for a loop in why it was done.

I don't remember my friend explaining to me anything that was happening, so I was just watching him play, and at that time I didn't have the internet to look it up.

For a major IP with like 6 entries...that's it? It feels like silent hill which is way bigger amongst the hardcore sphere than the more "casual" crowd. GOW Ragnarok sold 1/5th of that in like 3 months.

Maverick074

Banned
It's so weird to me that Konami only put Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, and Silent Hill 4 on GoG and not Steam
I'm glad I got to get the versions of the games without DRM, but it seems odd that they'd ignore the platform with the significantly bigger userbase
If they released Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Silent Hill 2 - 4 on Steam, they'd be printing money

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Who's still got their ps3 hooked up to play mgs games? I know there are several of you out there.

I bought the mgs collection when it came out and still haven't played it. Brought my ps3 to the with me when I moved 2 months ago so I need to see if it still works.

ACESHIGH

Banned
It's absolutely ridiculous how they are handling all the legacy content of the series. Capcom released RE4 on Amiga but these guys can't port the legacy collection to modern platforms.

It it done out of pure butthurt and spite? Kojiima must have banged all konamis c suites wives before leaving.

Top Bottom