• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake Announced - Master Collection coming in Autumn 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
|Wait, the Master Collection allows us to play these games "as they were" at launch?
Does this mean it's the shit original version of Snake Eater that forces the overhead camera?

Why would they not put in Substance and Subsistence?
Why isn't the VR Expansion for MGS 1 included?

I want to be excited, I truly love the MGS series, but this is some monkey paw shit.
Between 2 and 3 possibly being the original releases, and Delta very likely being changed for "modern audiences", I'm worried.

They have already clarified that MGS2 and 3 are the versions from HD Collection.

"As they were" meaning don't expect any changes to them like new control schemes etc.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I0rAEph.png
I had my concerns about who was making this, but I am happy to see it is in the hands of Development Team.

I am sure Development Team will ensure that it is game.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I just made a post about jumping to conclusions but why do I have a feeling that the collection games are gonna run better on the backwards compatibility version then the native version on series x because the backwards compatibility versions have better texture filtering built in

Neff

They have already clarified that MGS2 and 3 are the versions from HD Collection.

"As they were" meaning don't expect any changes to them like new control schemes etc.

How did 2 and 3 work on Xbox without the PS2/PS3's pressure buttons? I assume they'll just use that method.

adamsapple

How did 2 and 3 work on Xbox without the PS2/PS3's pressure buttons? I assume they'll just use that method.

Yeah, I don't think PS5 or Series either have pressure sensitive buttons. It works, they made some changes like having a dedicated button to slit throats with the knife instead of pressure and you raise and lower a gun with a button press instead of pressure.

Roni

Gold Member
Wonder if Konami will simply re-use the AI from the original; much like F.E.A.R., the AI in MGS2 and MGS3 is amazing and better than most stuff we get today.

Last edited:
let's just stop this here. This is exactly why Konami didn't mention the dev because I am sure they are aware of how fanatic Kojima fans are.

Yes, MGS is his brainchild, but the IP belongs to Konami. let us get over that. It won't be the first time a game is being remade with no real direct input from its original creator.

Can't hurt to at least wait till previews are out and then we can start making these DOA assessments.
Yeah, you're right. We should wait until actual gameplay is shown but showing a CGI trailer on reveal will always leave me sceptical.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
let's just stop this here. This is exactly why Konami didn't mention the dev because I am sure they are aware of how fanatic Kojima fans are.

Yes, MGS is his brainchild, but the IP belongs to Konami. let us get over that. It won't be the first time a game is being remade with no real direct input from its original creator.

Can't hurt to at least wait till previews are out and then we can start making these DOA assessments.
If it were any reputable dev, they would have said so. But they're either gonna handle this internally, which is a joke at this point, or job it out to some shadow devs because they're that afraid to enhance someone else's brand again after Kojima walked with half their staff.

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah, you're right. We should wait until actual gameplay is shown but showing a CGI trailer on reveal will always leave me sceptical.
On that, we agree. I am skeptical too, been skeptical since I started hearing virtuous associated with the game. Not because they do bad work, but because they are basically a support studio and I feel they haven't tacked a game of this scale before. And I also don't even trust Konami to give this IP the kinda love that I feet it deserves.

However, I am willing to wait for the previews or actual gameplay to be shown. Hell, it's possible this game is even like 3 years away.

Gorgon

Relax. Its confirmed it has the MGS1 VR Missions included and is the Substance/Subsistence versions of 2 & 3. MGS3 also includes MG1 & MG2 MSX ports.

The only bad thing is MGS1 is 4:3 ratio so it will have borders on your 4k TV. Also I would assume the little things missing from the PS3 version, like Skateboarding Mode, will also be missing.

Wait, where was all of that confirmed?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wait, where was all of that confirmed?

On the official playstation store page bro.

The origin of stealth action returns. METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol. 1 unifies the beginning of the METAL GEAR gameplay experience in one single package. Infiltrate enemy fortresses all over the globe, complete your missions with stealth and experience the thrilling cinematic story of the METAL GEAR series.

Volume 1 line-up features the original titles and beginning of the METAL GEAR series:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid (Including VR Missions/Special Missions)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection version)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection version)

This collection includes the classic versions of the games, complete with minimal edits to copyrighted contents.

Regional versions of the titles are available as additional downloads.

And the 4:3 thing is evident from the development screenshots they released.

Gorgon

The origin of stealth action returns. METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol. 1 unifies the beginning of the METAL GEAR gameplay experience in one single package. Infiltrate enemy fortresses all over the globe, complete your missions with stealth and experience the thrilling cinematic story of the METAL GEAR series.

Volume 1 line-up features the original titles and beginning of the METAL GEAR series:

Metal Gear

This collection includes the classic versions of the games, complete with minimal edits to copyrighted contents.

Thanks!

EDIT: it's actually not showing up on the Finnish PS store yet, so that's why I missed it.

Last edited:
If it were any reputable dev, they would have said so. But they're either gonna handle this internally, which is a joke at this point, or job it out to some shadow devs because they're that afraid to enhance someone else's brand again after Kojima walked with half their staff.
it's kojima workin on it, fool

Topher

Gold Member

Metal Gear

Ah man.....I didn't realize this included the original Metal Gear games as well. Wonder if they will have trophy support.

Was it ever stated why they decided to remake 3 and not 1 and 2? Or are those planned also?
I'm guessing that since they didn't label it 3 but instead "triangle" they are choosing to remake them in chronological order? I really have no idea......

Edit: or lol maybe they are using the Pachinko machine assets

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

adamsapple

R RaduN they continue to be unclear on this lol

Well there it is .. looks like we're getting a Last of Us Part 1 style situation here.

Those shots for MGS1 on the PSstore don't look promising...
Looks upscaled from 480p

"Original as is" lol

I really hope that doesn't mean the MGS2 and 3 from the HD collection are just going to be straight up 720p/60 FPS ports. If that's gonna be the case, I already own that collection

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned

• Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater remake will be available on PS5, Xbox Series X / S, and PC (Steam)
  • In addition to this new game, a rerelease of the original three MGS games — Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, and Snake Eater — was revealed on Wednesday as part of a collection called Metal Gear Solid Master Collection: Volume 1. It’s set to release this autumn on PS5.

I0rAEph.png

Development Team?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sub_Level

I guess I don’t see the point of spending all this money and time to just…make the same thing but prettier? Thats what remasters already accomplish, and MGS3 already has two of them. But I’m sure Last of Us and Dead Space remakes both sold well, so why go through the trouble to make an Resident Evil-style remake…

RaduN

I really hope that doesn't mean the MGS2 and 3 from the HD collection are just going to be straight up 720p/60 FPS ports. If that's gonna be the case, I already own that collection
Let's hope this time they port them properly, with all post processing effects of the ps2 intact, not the butchered HD release from last last gen.

Topher

Gold Member

adamsapple

Uh....am I missing the part where VGC said the game wasn't being done by Bluepoint, but by an Asian based developer?

The BP thing was just a fan rumor, I don't think VGC or any news source got really a lot of traction, and the Asian thing, eh broken clock twice a day etc etc.

Sleepwalker

I guess I don’t see the point of spending all this money and time to just…make the same thing but prettier? Thats what remasters already accomplish, and MGS3 already has two of them. But I’m sure Last of Us and Dead Space remakes both sold well, so why go through the trouble to make an Resident Evil-style remake…
This is the one franchise where I dont really trust them with story changes at all so it might be a blessing in disguise, we'll see about gameplay...

Topher

Gold Member
The BP thing was just a fan rumor, I don't think VGC or any news source got really a lot of traction, and the Asian thing, eh broken clock twice a day etc etc.

A fan thing that she correctly said was incorrect. Just as you are incorrect in saying she was reporting something already reported. She got this right whether you want to admit it or not.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
"Original as is" lol

This is the image from the PSstore
t1VlIkY.jpg

It has to be placeholder

Pelao

I'll probably end up buying these on Xbox just for the benefit that I can easily download the English and Japanese versions with one purchase. I did that with the HD Collection and MGSV, and it's great to be able to choose whether to do an English or Japanese playthrough.
For MGS4 and MGS1 on PS3 I had to do a double dip on the US and Japanese store.

Sub_Level

I'll probably end up buying these on Xbox just for the benefit that I can easily download the English and Japanese versions with one purchase. I did that with the HD Collection and MGSV, and it's great to be able to choose whether to do an English or Japanese playthrough.
For MGS4 and MGS1 on PS3 I had to do a double dip on the US and Japanese store.

From the playstation store description:

Regional versions of the titles are available as additional downloads.”

Sounds like it gives you access if you just buy one version of the Master Collection? idk lol we are missing so many details on this collection & remake :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_loudly_crying:

Top Bottom