• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake Announced - Master Collection coming in Autumn 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I guess I don’t see the point of spending all this money and time to just…make the same thing but prettier? Thats what remasters already accomplish, and MGS3 already has two of them. But I’m sure Last of Us and Dead Space remakes both sold well, so why go through the trouble to make an Resident Evil-style remake…

If they have wider media ambitions for the property, such a television show or series of movies, it might be a good idea to remake the game that kicked off the entire story. Many people under the age of about 30 probably don't even know that Big Boss and Solid Snake are two different people, or the reasons that drove Snake / Big Boss to do what he ultimately goes onto to do.

Interesting that they are going with metal gear solid 3 remake first. As we all know it's "first" in the series timeline of events, so maybe they are going to change a few things?

I love mgs but there was a few inconsistencies as the series went on and an over reliant use of nano machines to explain things (looking at you mgs4)

If it was me, I would be green lighting mgs3 remake first with the idea of reimagining it. The mgs collection will have mgs3. Thats the original 2004 version. Remake is about telling a similar but different story and a direction that other games can follow.

RaduN

They should have remade that snake eater trailer. Konami you godam idiots.

I heard the guy that used to edit those slick trailers, parted ways with Konami and made his own gaming studio.
Insanely talented guy...the TGS2004 trailer is probably the best trailer ever made.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I would have loved if the trailer was a character walking slowly down a dark tunnel with his face unlightened until he is near a face reveal
Daniel Craig Hello GIF by James Bond 007

Then the camera twirls around and he climbs the ladder for the full trailer.

The Daily Show Boom GIF

SCB3

I'm super curious why MGS3 is being remade first and not MGS or even Metal Gear as they would benefit from it more

I'm super curious why MGS3 is being remade first and not MGS or even Metal Gear as they would benefit from it more

It's the beginning of the story and it's easier since it's the first game with modernish controls. Not to mention they might be able to use some of the pachinko assets.

I think that this has already been covered.

RaduN

They are using all the voices and cutscene data from 3. This alone cuts the time and budget in half if not more.
There were zero assets they could have used from 1, zero.
That's all there is to it, not some origin story rationale.
Or...
They could have also remade/repaint 2, with minimal effort, similar to 3, but gamers nowadays are too retarded for that kind of game.

YCoCg

I would have loved if the trailer was a character walking slowly down a dark tunnel with his face unlightened until he is near a face reveal
Daniel Craig Hello GIF by James Bond 007

Then the camera twirls around and he climbs the ladder for the full trailer.

The Daily Show Boom GIF
Ok no joke but that would've been fucking awesome and such a brilliant nod to the fans.

VulcanRaven

I hope they have fixed some errors that were in the HD Collection. All the facepaints had updated textures except splitter. Even the beard was in low resolution. He has it in the opening cutscene so it was odd mistake to make.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

What are they going to do with the PS1 in Otacon's lab on Xbox? Maybe they should replace it with the original Xbox. The game is set in 2005 so it would make sense.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Pretty sure we're gonna get a Delta version of all the games. Makes sense to start with MGS3 and I'm also glad they'll know what they're doing by the time they get to MGS1.

Why they are so afraid of announcing it's Virtuous Studios?
Yeah, if they are just upgrading the graphics like 343 did with Halo: Combat Evolved, and Halo 2 for the Master Chief Collection, i don’t see what the problem is. Its not a ground up remake, and hopefully doesn’t take too long.

Who the fuck is making this? Konami in-house team?

Thought they all disbanded except for the Pro Evo devs?

Edit: Virtuous apparently.

If this is just a graphical upgrade than I’m not interested.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
If it is Virtuos it's the perfect opportunity to demonstrate their technical know-how. They've been a support studio on a ridiculous number of games, they're also huge in terms of manpower. It is concerning, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until we see how this plays.

One of my favorite trailers:

Shooting while hanging from a tree looked great but you didn't really need to use it in the final game at all.

I remember that Trailer. I thought how cool the game would be but like always the cool things are most time only useful in trailers.

I also thought the game would be open world rd like which also wasn't the case.

SJRB

Gold Member
I remember that Trailer. I thought how cool the game would be but like always the cool things are most time only useful in trailers.

I also thought the game would be open world rd like which also wasn't the case.

Yeah that trailer gives a very, very warped view of what the game actually is. I think, similar to MGS4, they were working on it but had to dial back significantly due to resource constraints on the console.

If this remaster can deliver the vision promised in this trailer I am 100% on board.

Finally, the return of Metal GEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

But who's making it? An in house Konami studio? Some Japanese team? A western team? Hopefully it's Japan, I'd hate to see shit like Eva toned down.

This seems like the smart way to continue the ip without Kojima, base it on the Kojima games, don't try to tell an all new story, but use Kojima stories as a springboard.

You know what would of been cool for the Master Collection? Having the option to add in the Japanese voices. Like FFX HD Remaster and the Shenmue 1,2 HD version. I personally think David Hayter sounded AWESOME as Snake in MGS1 but in the sequels his "gruffness" sounded a little too forced.

I'm surprised the Emulation/Rom Hacking community hasn't made UNDUB's of MGS1-3 yet like all the JRPGS that have been translated.

Akio Otsuka really did a great job as Solid Snake. Especially in those trailers.

VulcanRaven

Finally, the return of Metal GEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

But who's making it? An in house Konami studio? Some Japanese team? A western team? Hopefully it's Japan, I'd hate to see shit like Eva toned down.

This seems like the smart way to continue the ip without Kojima, base it on the Kojima games, don't try to tell an all new story, but use Kojima stories as a springboard.
Konami and Virtuous Studios. They haven't really said which is the main developer.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

This sounds like rerecording. Why would a voice actor confirm they are returning if its just their old audio files being used?

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Because they receive money even if is the old audio

It's not clear that is new audio recording, but remember when Donna Burke was recording Snake Eater? That would imply that is new shit

Knot3D

I hope the first section of the game EXPLICITLY explains how to silently stalk and grab enemies.
So many MGS3 blind playthroughs out there and a shocking percentage of them never figure this
out. They wind up just tranq-ing and shooting every enemy guard - and then they get frustrated
at their failed CQC attempts because the game doesn't freakin' explain the use of the D-pad to silently stalk.

Even the radio calls with the Boss don't cover this; merely a vague reference to CQC.

Top Bottom