• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid (PS1) vs. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GameCube Remake) | Side by Side

Kuranghi

Twin Snakes is way more fun to play.

Agreed, its basically MGS 2's interactivity but with a few cuts. Using walkway/ledge hanging in the nuclear storage room makes it much more fun, for example.

Also, I love the original as well ofc but the ninja hallway scene is brilliant with the better animations/effects. Him holding the guy up on the sword is still one of favourite images from gaming.

HE1NZ

Banned
Agreed, its basically MGS 2's interactivity but with a few cuts. Using walkway/ledge hanging in the nuclear storage room makes it much more fun, for example.

Also, I love the original as well ofc but the ninja hallway scene is brilliant with the better animations/effects. Him holding the guy up on the sword is still one of favourite images from gaming.
And boss battles weren't pain in the ass.

Kuranghi

The shape memory shortcut in Rex's hanger alone makes it my preferred way to play the game

Really the only thing I didn't like about it was that they didn't have Enclosure in the game at all.

If there IS another remake coming having the original soundtrack, at least as an option, would be a must for me. Thats the worst thing about TS definitely, the music is a bit HL2-techno-silly in parts. Still amazing though. You wouldn't know if you didnt play the original anyway.

GrayFoxPL

As usual, remakes lose the original vision and end up looking bland and uninspired. This isn't even to touch on the more subjective nature of music and cinematic direction, which IMHO the remake lacks entirely.
Yeah. Even at first glance the color palette, lightning(even if baked), camera angles, the mood of everything on the screen - all is absent in the remake. Like you said, bland and uninspired, like a generic PS2/Gamecube game of the 2000's.

BJAtF0m.gif

Is a big part of your dislike for it the cutscenes/their direction?
literally everything

The voice acting is awful (Jennifer Hale is asleep 95% of the time), the changed dialog is painfully stupid ("its not a weak point, more like a weakness" "When death is entreated, the battle is decided" :pie_neutral::pie_neutral::pie_neutral:), the cutscenes are idiotic, they simply don't understand the soul of the game (when Snake nods at the screen during that one cutscene it just shows they have no clue about Snake and what he represents to the player), Metal Gear Solid level design does not work even a little bit with MGS2 gameplay (and they didn't even bother trying to change anything to fix it), and the music.... holy shit the fucking music.

vs

i mean jesus christ

I could probably keep going on but basically it is irredeemable. Actually I think there is like a single thing I do think was done well but I can't even remember what it is at this point lol

Matsuchezz

Twin Snakes should have not been created, Silicon Knights were no technical wizards by any means, The MGS2 gameplay was added but no new level design was implemented so it was not put to good use. MGS when it was released amazed the world, MGS TS did not do anything for the franchise and I think it sold poorly on the cube.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Is a big part of your dislike for it the cutscenes/their direction?
I was a huge fan of Ryuhei Kitamura back in the day when he worked with Tak Sakaguchi but when he decided that Snake should surf the rocket, Kojima and the devs should have told him that's beyond retarded.

Though the influence on crazy cutscenes can be seen in MGS 3 and beyond.

I don't know if it is a minority opinion or not, but I did not enjoy Twin Snakes at all. I don't like the changes to certain voices, the change of some actors (I miss Mei Lings Lisp and Naomi's accent.) , and the way they changed names of places (calling it Zanzibar land makes it sound like a cheap themepark attraction) and altered the way some scenes play out, like when Snake got pissed at Baker and threw a childish fit and then pointed his gun at him. It was unfunny to me and he looked like a petulant child throwing a fit because mommy took away his video games. The gameplay was ok, but I won't play it again.

Matsuchezz

literally everything

The voice acting is awful (Jennifer Hale is asleep 95% of the time), the changed dialog is painfully stupid ("its not a weak point, more like a weakness" "When death is entreated, the battle is decided" :pie_neutral::pie_neutral::pie_neutral:), the cutscenes are idiotic, they simply don't understand the soul of the game (when Snake nods at the screen during that one cutscene it just shows they have no clue about Snake and what he represents to the player), Metal Gear Solid level design does not work even a little bit with MGS2 gameplay (and they didn't even bother trying to change anything to fix it), and the music.... holy shit the fucking music.

Didn't Ryuhei Kitamura worked with Kojima on the Cutscenes and those were sent to SK in Canada?
Some are really good like the whole Cyborg Ninja Scenes are awesome! and others like where snake tilt the missile when Liquid is in the HindD are damn stupid.

ExpandKong

Banned
literally everything

vs

i mean jesus christ

I could probably keep going on but basically it is irredeemable. Actually I think there is like a single thing I do think was done well but I can't even remember what it is at this point lol

Imagine being upset about a Metal Gear Solid game breaking the 4th wall lol

I thought the music was mostly okay and I especially liked how all the bosses had unique music this time around.

I dunno, it was just fun.

They really should have done more (read: anything) to account for the gameplay advances MGS2's changes brought to the table though.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Oddly I have not played Twin Snakes yet. I have a GameCube but that game is pretty hard to find and expensive.

I did try briefly on emulator but the changes voice acting left a bad taste. No way you can top the VA in the first release

Oddly I have not played Twin Snakes yet. I have a GameCube but that game is pretty hard to find and expensive.

I did try briefly on emulator but the changes voice acting left a bad taste. No way you can top the VA in the first release
I was just about to say, isn't that game stupidly expensive now?

Though it seems like the majority of Gamecube games have risen in price in general.

GrayFoxPL

Btw the comparsion is pretty bad because I can see a ton of awful hitching in the OG MGS1 footage. It's not how the game runs on ps1, ps2 or even ps3.

Ether bad emulation or bad recording.

Imagine being upset about a Metal Gear Solid game breaking the 4th wall lol
That isn't the issue. Metal Gear games constantly break the 4th wall and MGS2 breaks the 4th wall so thoroughly that its own existence plays a part in it.

Snake is literally the player. Like, literally the player. That is why he is told to use action buttons and put controllers up to his arm. When he nods at the screen.... who the hell is he even nodding to? Himself? It makes no sense.

SCB3

If there IS another remake coming having the original soundtrack, at least as an option, would be a must for me. Thats the worst thing about TS definitely, the music is a bit HL2-techno-silly in parts. Still amazing though. You wouldn't know if you didnt play the original anyway.

Unfortunately the music rights for the Original 3 games are kinda fucky due to the composer stealing parts of the song from an older composer

It's why the original MGS song stopped getting used

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The best thing I can say about Twin Snakes is that when I sold my copy a couple of years ago I got more money than I paid for it originally.

Word to the wise: Nintendo stuff holds/accumulates in value really well.

showernota

I've only played Twin Snakes, never the original beyond the Jampack demo disc.

It was great, really got me into MGS and it's been in my top 5 game series ever since. All the knocks against it are the most neckbeardy complaints I've ever heard.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Absolutely undeniable improvements TTS made over original MGS1:
  • Shape changing memory card shortcut
  • Meryl's pronunciation of "Otacon" during the ending
  • Smaller physical discs than original release

Hydelol

Banned
Twin Snakes is an abomination. Anyone who thinks it is better than the original should let themselves be checked for mental health issues.
Please, some people should watch twitch.tv/outerheaven - they've been doing Metal Gear streams for the last 8 years or more. They give so much insight on Metal Gear and it's story, background information and much more. Especially Drk's (on of the guys running it) yearly april's fools Twin Snakes run. That game is simply bad and should have never been made.

If they do another remake I hope it is faithful to the mood and atmosphere of the original, Twin Snake ruined it with the cheesy over-the-top action scenes.

Twin Snakes is an abomination. Anyone who thinks it is better than the original should let themselves be checked for mental health issues.
Please, some people should watch twitch.tv/outerheaven - they've been doing Metal Gear streams for the last 8 years or more. They give so much insight on Metal Gear and it's story, background information and much more. Especially Drk's (on of the guys running it) yearly april's fools Twin Snakes run. That game is simply bad and should have never been made.
drk's salty schtick gets old sometimes, but if someone really wants to understand exactly why Twin Snakes is so bad they should watch one of his April Fools streams.

Not a fan at all of Twin Snakes, cut scenes were trash and the addition of 1st person was way to game breaking for something never designed with it in mind. Ocelot fight for example was so easy in first person amongst other sections.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No offense to anyone here, but Twin Snakes is a flaming pile of trash. All the atmosphere is gone & the English voice actors give an incredibly less compelling performance, to say nothing of the kung-fu matrix shit. Its cool that David Hayter was able to regroup the original cast but they simply failed to perform, with few exceptions (Cam Clarke is always Cam Clarke).

If you want a Gamecube remake of a Playstation game, I'd recommend Resident Evil.

LarknThe4th

They butchered the ambient masterpiece that is the originals soundtrack, the new voice recordings are lazy

On the other hand it does have better functionality but then even that's bad cause it makes the game incredibly easy

I can see why some people would prefer it but eh the original still plays well so I cant say I have much time for it

16 years too late, yet another comparison between the original on weaker but pioneering hardware and the watered down remake for Wii 0.8...

why God y

John Day

Gameplay-wise, Twin Snakes of course!

But by the time i reached Vulcan Raven’s intro (tank fight), I realized the remake lost some magic (in the cutscenes).

OG Snake dodges the tank’s shots like a champ, TS Snake gets shot back wailing like a pussy.

Bakkus

Absolutely undeniable improvements TTS made over original MGS1:
  • Shape changing memory card shortcut
  • Meryl's pronunciation of "Otacon" during the ending
  • Smaller physical discs than original release
Don't forget the extreme cut in length you have to backtrack to find the sniper to fight Wolf. The original was a huge chore. You had to traverse the entire Shadow Moses get on board those trailers in box, wait for the guards to start talking and drive with the accompanying cutscene, and down to the basement with the detonating bombs in order to find it, and then travel the entire way back. In Twin Snakes, the sniper is on the same floor as Psycho Mantis' room in one of the small rooms in the big office area. Almost nothing in comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom