• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus next Gen Announced PC-SeriesX-PS5 FIGHT!!!

OverHeat

« generous god »
Metro Exodus - THE METRO EXODUS PC ENHANCED EDITION ANNOUNCED - Steam News (steampowered.com)
Today we’re ready to confirm another exciting project set to release this year – the Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition! Built for high-end PC hardware with Ray Tracing capable Nvidia and AMD GPUs and implementing DLSS 2.0 for the ultimate PC experience. Didn’t think Metro Exodus could look any better? Hold our vodka.

We also have an update on the PC Mac and Linux Versions that we know some of you have been patiently waiting for.

When Metro Exodus released two years ago, it was one of the first games to feature Ray Tracing (on high-end PC only) thanks to NVIDIA’s new RTX series of graphics cards, although we still utilized many more traditional rendering techniques for console and older PC graphics cards.
But with Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 consoles offering Ray Tracing support, we took the decision to radically overhaul our proprietary 4A Engine and realise our ambitions for a fully Ray Traced experience on next gen consoles and high-end PC.

We have built an all-new Fully Ray Traced Lighting Pipeline that brings a number of optimizations, upgrades, and new features to the Ray Traced Global Illumination and Emissive Lighting that we pioneered with the original release of Metro Exodus, as well as an upgraded implementation of our powerful Temporal Reconstruction technology to further boost resolution, visual detail and performance.

And we’ve pushed these enhancements to the limit to take advantage of the latest Ray Tracing capable GPU hardware from NVIDIA and AMD, to create the ultimate version for our PC enthusiast fans.

Introducing the Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition
For PC players, we’re taking advantage of our new Fully Ray Traced Lighting Pipeline and the latest GPU-capable hardware from NVIDIA and AMD to offer the ultimate Ray Traced experience – the Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition.

This upgrade is so extensive, it will require a Ray Tracing capable GPU as the minimum spec, and we will need to deliver this version as a separate product – it is not a simple ‘patch’ to the base game – instead it will be offered as an extra entitlement to all existing Metro Exodus PC players.

The PC Enhanced Edition will offer additional Ray Tracing features, including Advanced Ray Traced Reflections and support for DLSS 2.0 on NVIDIA hardware, which offers sharper image details and increased framerates and display resolutions. Applying the same philosophy as our Xbox and PlayStation upgrades, this PC Enhanced Edition will be FREE to all existing Metro Exodus owners on the Epic Games Store, Steam and GoG. You can expect the PC Enhanced Edition to release later this Spring.
lIrPRrd.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Metro Exodus will run at 4K / 60FPS with full Ray Traced lighting throughout on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The base game and DLC expansions will feature both our ground-breaking Ray Traced Global Illumination (RTGI) and the Ray Traced Emissive Lighting techniques pioneered in The Two Colonels expansion across all content.
umm how?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No question a good game, I think the clock management playstyle scared a lot of people off and it was my game of the year 2019.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"This upgrade is so extensive, it will require a Ray Tracing capable GPU as the minimum spec, and we will need to deliver this version as a separate product – it is not a simple ‘patch’ to the base game – instead it will be offered as an extra entitlement to all existing Metro Exodus PC players.

this PC Enhanced Edition will be FREE to all existing Metro Exodus owners on the Epic Games Store, Steam and GoG. You can expect the PC Enhanced Edition to release later this Spring."

pc is love.

j0hnnix

The insanity of 4A / Deep Silver! This is going to be interesting on consoles. I wish I would of finished the first two Metros. might revisit.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

what the hell is up with all those companies making enhanced versions of games that already look great? Wouldn't be better instead of spending resources for "enhanced games" to make actually new games? I

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Have you seen Metro Exodus? 4A are masters.
i bought a rtx 2080 for it back when it first came out. The performance hit when enabling RT was substantial. my FPS went from 60 to 30 at native 4k after turning it on even with DLSS. Had to settle for 1440p to hit a steady 60 fps.

If they are hitting 4k 60 fps, it's probably checkerboarded. their new engine must be far more optimized now that its designed around RT instead of RT being bolted on. Apparently the new PC version requires RTX cards, it wont even run on non RT GPUs. I bet this is their new engine for the next gen Metro game which is supposedly forgoing all standard rasterization techniques and going full RT for everything from lighting to reflections and shadows.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
i bought a rtx 2080 for it back when it first came out. The performance hit when enabling RT was substantial. my FPS went from 60 to 30 at native 4k after turning it on even with DLSS. Had to settle for 1440p to hit a steady 60 fps.

If they are hitting 4k 60 fps, it's probably checkerboarded. their new engine must be far more optimized now that its designed around RT instead of RT being bolted on. Apparently the new PC version requires RTX cards, it wont even run on non RT GPUs. I bet this is their new engine for the next gen Metro game which is supposedly forgoing all standard rasterization techniques and going full RT for everything from lighting to reflections and shadows.
Yeah 4K probably with checkboarding or normal DRS is my bet, but hey if the upper level is 4k when you look on the sky, then it counts for PR : D

SlimySnake

what the hell is up with all those companies making enhanced versions of games that already look great? Wouldn't be better instead of spending resources for "enhanced games" to make actually new games? I
They ARE making a new Metro game. This is basically a trial run that lets them ship a game on new hardware. They are basically porting their old game to their new engine. ND said that shipping TLOU remaster on the PS4 was very helpful because it helped them learn the ins and out of the PS4 that you could really learn when shipping a game. i.e., seeing it to completion.

Mister Wolf

This is going to make for an excellent DF comparison video with the older version. Specifically the indoor areas that didn't have RTGI with light and color bounce.

Last edited:

silent head

Metro Exodus will run at 4K / 60FPS with full Ray Traced lighting throughout on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The base game and DLC expansions will feature both our ground-breaking Ray Traced Global Illumination (RTGI) and the Ray Traced Emissive Lighting techniques pioneered in The Two Colonels expansion across all content.

The next gen consoles will benefit from dramatically reduced loading times thanks to our use of their SSD storage optimizations, boast 4K texture packs, and a range of platform specific features including spatial audio and controller latency improvements on Xbox, and support for the haptic features of the PlayStation 5 Dual Sense controller – anyone who’s frantically tried to pump up the pressure on their Tikhar in the middle of a pitched battle will be able to imagine the kind of thing we’re aiming for!

We’re targeting 1080p on Xbox Series S, with framerate still to be determined as we continue to optimize for this hardware , but the other benefits above will apply, including full Ray Traced lighting throughout

SlimySnake

Native 4K is such a waste of recources. A good reconstruction technique does wonders. I cant wait to see how they achive this, I dont believe it will be native 4K.
Agreed. I was very disappointed to see so many PS5 games running at native 4k during the PS5 reveal but I supposed thats because most of them were cross gen titles. Demons being 1440p gives me hope that Horizon, Ratchet, GT7 and GOW will basically be 1440p 60 fps with an obligatory 30 fps native 4k mode.

TBH, I would love to see what a 1440p 30 fps title would look like on the PS5.

pasterpl

The next gen consoles will benefit from dramatically reduced loading times thanks to our use of their SSD storage optimizations, boast 4K texture packs, and a range of platform specific features including spatial audio and controller latency improvements on Xbox, and support for the haptic features of the PlayStation 5 Dual Sense controller – anyone who’s frantically tried to pump up the pressure on their Tikhar in the middle of a pitched battle will be able to imagine the kind of thing we’re aiming for!

We’re targeting 1080p on Xbox Series S, with framerate still to be determined as we continue to optimize for this hardware , but the other benefits above will apply, including full Ray Traced lighting throughout

it will probably end up being dynamic 1080p at 30fps on series s

This was announced earlier, right? Or did I just imagine that NG patch was incoming? Either way, cool to see it detailed in depth here.

Even though it is a cross-gen game, I think this will be a solid benchmark for PS5 vs XsX, as well as both consoles vs PC, considering how great the game looks and how demanding it is on PC already

Free upgrade, good stuff

Not sure I will play the whole game again but I will dip in to check out the upgrades on my PS5 and compare with my PC. It is a good game but I played a ton of it at launch and had my fill.

Consoles need a DLSS 2.0 equivalent ASAP. A true game changer

Last edited:
It is cool that, based on what I read in their outline, the Series S version will also get a 60 fps and a Ray Tracing mode. Curious to see how the little brother performs with RT on. Good stuff.

Kholinar

Banned
This was announced earlier, right? Or did I just imagine that NG patch was incoming? Either way, cool to see it detailed in depth here.

Even though it is a cross-gen game, I think this will be a solid benchmark for PS5 vs XsX, as well as both consoles vs PC, considering how great the game looks and how demanding it is on PC already

Free upgrade, good stuff

Not sure I will play the whole game again but I will dip in to check out the upgrades on my PS5 and compare with my PC. It is a good game but I played a ton of it at launch and had my fill.

Consoles need a DLSS 2.0 equivalent ASAP. A true game changer
Gonna have to wait for Pro refreshes for DLSS equivalents. Software upscaling is the best these consoles can do right now; there's no significant hardware-assisted ML silicon that can grant them anything in the vein of DLSS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is pc upgrade too?
The game just got playable maxed out with 3080 so they obviously need to make it run 12 fps again ....
I will replay it again... I can already hear the constant yapping of Anna and every god damn npc...all at the same time all the time and the constant opening, moving through, grabbing animations that lock Your view.

...I swear if this is separate purchase and exclusive to epic yet again.. (I have the game on steam).
Despite having 3080, I can always just get it on ps5 depending on epic exclusivity and performance

edit: ok I see, free upgrade, nice.

Last edited:
Gonna have to wait for Pro refreshes for DLSS equivalents. Software upscaling is the best these consoles can do right now; there's no significant hardware-assisted ML silicon that can grant them anything in the vein of DLSS.

Indeed. And I can't wait for it, gonna make such a big difference on consoles moving forward, once we get it.

You're right though. Just a waiting game, now.

It means PC have everything... consoles miss Advanced RT Reflections.

Personally I would like to see RT lighting and RT shadows in more console games. Reflections are cool but I like the other aspects of RT visuals better. Just me, though.

So we can buy the PS4 version and get the free upgrade or buy the PS5 version?

That is the impression I get. Sounds like a free upgrade if you own he last gen version. I am assuming this applies to Game Pass version as well (both on PC and Xbox)

Top Bottom