• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus Rated For PS5 and Xbox Series, Runs at 4K/60 FPS With Ray-Tracing

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
According to 4A Games, “Metro Exodus will run at 4K / 60FPS with full Ray Traced lighting throughout on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The base game and DLC expansions will feature both our ground-breaking Ray Traced Global Illumination (RTGI) and the Ray Traced Emissive Lighting techniques pioneered in The Two Colonels expansion across all content.”
“The next gen consoles will benefit from dramatically reduced loading times thanks to our use of their SSD storage optimizations, boast 4K texture packs, and a range of platform specific features including spatial audio and controller latency improvements on Xbox, and support for the haptic features of the PlayStation 5 Dual Sense controller – anyone who’s frantically tried to pump up the pressure on their Tikhar in the middle of a pitched battle will be able to imagine the kind of thing we’re aiming for!”
In addition to the PS5 and Xbox Series X support, Xbox Series S will also benefit from 1080p at 60 FPS with ray-tracing just like the other current-generation consoles.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

nNde4vF.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sounds like they did an amazing job, hope this hits soon like the article suggests.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
So does ray tracing matter now? Or is it still a gimmick that doesn’t look that great and isn’t worth the performance cost?

help me GAF I’m so confused!

VFXVeteran

Banned
Now THAT"S impressive!

I have got to see a comparison on the RT differences between the consoles and the PC and why they needed to do DLSS on the PC.

Is Metro Exodus any good? It’s on sale at the mo for a little over £10 on PlayStation store, so it may be worth a punt.
I tried playing it a while back on gamepass and didn’t get very far because the movement felt so slow and sluggish like you were moving through peanut butter. That alone killed the game for me considering it’s open world and the movement is so slow, not for me. The game may be amazing for all I know but, just a heads up if that is something that may bother you.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
For sure. Is the RTGI in Metro Exodus more impressive/realistic than what's used in Cyberpunk?
No, they are the same. I'm just surprised that they was even able to activate RT and still manage 60FPS. Something is amiss as this is now the 3rd game using RT (Returnal, RE8, and now Metro) @ 60FPS. I will have to probe at least one of these games to see the differences. I've tried reaching out to Alex from DF to talk to him with no response. Either DF or NXGamer NXGamer will have to do PC comparisons of both RE8 and Metro to see why it's so expensive on the PC and the consoles can do it without any image anti-aliasing like DLSS.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol my RTX 2080 could only run this game at 60 fps at 1440p. The ray tracing capabilities of the PS5 and XSX are at 2060 levels at best as shown by the RT performance of Watch Dogs Legion.

I bet its going to be drs 4k 60 fps where its only 4k when you are looking at the sky and then drops to 1080p the moment you shoot your gun.

Banned
I tried playing it a while back on gamepass and didn’t get very far because the movement felt so slow and sluggish like you were moving through peanut butter. That alone killed the game for me considering it’s open world and the movement is so slow, not for me. The game may be amazing for all I know but, just a heads up if that is something that may bother you.

yeah the Metro games are basically shooters with very bad AI, awful controls and the first 2 had super corridor like levels as well.
the new one has more open levels (it's. ot open world btw.) but the rest is still awful

I can't understand how they are this popular tbh. but then again, gameplay is very low priority for most players these days.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is Metro Exodus any good? It’s on sale at the mo for a little over £10 on PlayStation store, so it may be worth a punt.
(EDIT: Ignore my post below. Got the names mixed up. My post below is for 2033. I never tried Exodus. So not sure how close or far it plays vs. 2033)

No MP.

Not a typical shooter. I played it years back on Xbox One OG or One X. Looks great, smooth frame rate, but I gave up after the first hour or so.

TONS of mandatory cutscenes. 100% linear. Its a very heavy story driven SP campaign.

Not the type of shooter I want to play. But for some, they might like it.

Last edited:

Tqaulity

An RTX 2080 @ 1440p High settings with full on RT does a meager 44FPS. How much did they scale down?
They essentially rewrote the RT code with lots of optimizations on all platforms AND added specific console optimizations on top of that. So comparing console to PC perf (especially the PC perf of the older implementation) is not applicable.

That said we'll have to see how the final version looks in terms of IQ and how it compares to the original PC RT release.

Markio128

I did try one of the older games in the series and I remember the visuals being good, but something seemed off with the gameplay. Mmm, it’s probably not for me to be honest.

One of very few games that made me ask for a refund on Steam. I thought it was very, very boring, had really dated gameplay mechanics, bad writing, acting, really crappy animation and character models, inconsistent graphics with some really low resolution textures here and there.. Just to name a few problems.

I was hoping to be impressed by the graphics with my new RTX 3080 but to me it looked like shit to be honest.

I don't know, maybe the game picks up later or something, I only played for like 3 hours or something. Or it just isn't for me, a lot of other people seem to like it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nice. Hoping for good pc versions steam update as I own it there.
As of now, even hdr is broken on pc and dlss is a bt ugly but it's stellar looking.
I love the game but everyone is constantly talking. THEY NEVER STOP. Anna to. Multiple npcs at the same time. Wherever You are.
That and idiotic moral choices. But I still like the game and finished it 2 times already.

TonyK

I can't believe native 4k + 60fps + full RT in a semi open world like this. I'm playing Avengers in PS5 and the game can't do 4k 60fps without RT and it's a corridor.

VFXVeteran

Banned
They essentially rewrote the RT code with lots of optimizations on all platforms AND added specific console optimizations on top of that. So comparing console to PC perf (especially the PC perf of the older implementation) is not applicable.

What optimizations? The Xbox is using the same DX toolkit as the PC so the code would be the same. There is more here than just optimization with same quality. RT is expensive any which way you put it. In order to target 60FPS, they had to have dropped a lot of quality settings. I just want to know the shortcuts they made. They even got it running on a lowly XSS. It's bound to be noticeable when comparisons get released.

UPDATE: I just saw one of their blogs on this. I stand corrected. Seems like they redid a lot of things. I'll be curious to see how much more the PC features are on a feature by feature basis compared to the consoles. Very talented smart devs here. That's for sure.

Last edited:
We already knew this, the real question is when will the update be released lol

The game is on sale right now on the PSN store if anyone is interested in picking it up.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
So, will buying the PS4 version give you the PS5 version as well? Are the graphics that great? Is there any story? I normally don't play FPS games, but if it's pretty and has an interesting story, I might give it a go.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So, will buying the PS4 version give you the PS5 version as well? Are the graphics that great? Is there any story? I normally don't play FPS games, but if it's pretty and has an interesting story, I might give it a go.
Despite being a technical marvel, the art direction in the game is not my cup of tea. I like not only technically superior graphics but also great art direction. This game sticks to the monochromatic color palette just like RE8. If you are looking for something with widely varying color scheme to show off good saturation, then you won't like the look of the game. Gameplay is OK. Story is weak of course.

Azurro

Banned
Despite being a technical marvel, the art direction in the game is not my cup of tea. I like not only technically superior graphics but also great art direction. This game sticks to the monochromatic color palette just like RE8. If you are looking for something with widely varying color scheme to show off good saturation, then you won't like the look of the game. Gameplay is OK. Story is weak of course.

Thanks, that's a bit disappointing. I don't mind a muted color palette if it's very atmospheric and serves an interesting story or has fun characters, something which the RE games have plenty of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom