• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus - Uncovered Xbox Series X|S

ErRor88

Metro Exodus is coming to Xbox Series X | S on June 18, boasting a massive graphical upgrade to harness the power of this generation. Offering Ray Tracing and Ray Traced Emissive lighting throughout as well as a FOV slider for the first time in the Metro series and increased framerates
I wonder how far off it will be from the PC version.

I've never played the metro games. Are these on gamepass?

Do I need to play 2033 first to understsnd the story before playing exodus?

Last edited:
SO its native 4k 60 fully raytraced on console If so then 4A are quite good engineers. Their raytracing solution must be one of the best there is. And goes to show this consoles will be revolutionary in raytraced games. In yhe future well probably end up with fully raytraced engines or path tracing sooner than we emagined.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I liked this game alright on PS4. It was overall a frustrating experience with a few awesome highlights.

That said, these improvements have me excited to go back in. I think I may enjoy the game to it's full potential now. I'm excited about improved frame rate, expanded field of view, and ray tracing.

Kilau

Gold Member
Before anyone gets concerned, yes it's coming to PS5 on the same day with the same enhancements.
Concern GIF by The Back Row Morning Show (on LTN Radio)

Mr Hyde

Read the book which the games are based on and thought it was great. Decided to buy 2033 and Last Light and I thought they were pretty great too. Heard mixed opinions on Exodus but I'm curious to see where they take the story.

saintjules

SO its native 4k 60 fully raytraced on console If so then 4A are quite good engineers. Their raytracing solution must be one of the best there is. And goes to show this consoles will be revolutionary in raytraced games. In yhe future well probably end up with fully raytraced engines or path tracing sooner than we emagined.

Amazing if true. Wasn't there a discussion in the months leading up to the next-gen that 4k60 with RT was hard to achieve?

saintjules

Yeah even digital foundry said itll be impossible, just goes to show how missleading online tech experts are.

So maybe from what we've experienced with Returnal, RT can be present but used in other ways like in audio. So yeah, will have to be careful on the misleading article bits.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I actually have faith in this dev to push each console. If theyve had a good amount of time with each Dev kit I'm sure they will be pushing them as best they can.

Excited to see.

So maybe from what we've experienced with Returnal, RT can be present but used in other ways like in audio. So yeah, will have to be careful on the misleading article bits.
Rt is used on audio and lighting in returnal and has been used even on lastgen games, killzone shadow fall used it for reflections, claybook is a full raytraced game on ps4 and xbone, dreams on ps4 is the most advanced fully raymarched engine thats out there, they used raytracing aswell on nex machina ps4 another game from the creators of returnal. So raytracing isnt new its just hardware supported nowadays, theres alot of misleading info out there.

These new consoles are not even scratching the surface of their capabilities, soon as we switch to nextgen natuve game development then almost all triple a game engines will turn to fully raytraced solutions. And itll be forgotten nobody will chat about raytracing again.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Are these doubt memes exclusive to Series X? I've never seen Cerny say something that follows with this meme... 🤔
I would put the same meme on the PS5 version , don't take it to serious just havin bants. I hope its true that would mean that its super optimized on pc also, wich is the version i will be playing if i can grab a damn GPU.

SCB3

I keep meaning to go back to this series, I seem to own Last Light and 2033 on multiple platforms (it keeps being free)

I have finished 2033 and read the books,

I highly doubt it’s native 4K. Probably just really solid reconstruction going on. We’ll see tho.

I’m tempted to buy it on Steam. I played the PC Game Pass version last year

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is going to be fun to play, looking forward to it.
If this comes out for series S with ray tracing intact at 1080p, does this put to bed forever the foolish notion that the Series S is some sort of Xbox one clone that cripple's next gen? (when clearly it has tons of next gen features?)
I suppose not, lots in denial wanting MS to fail at all costs, even if the S is nice piece of hardware. (as is the X and the PS5)
Argue the value/cost proposition all you want, but that doesn't negate what the machine actually is, a pretty decent little box that plays games at 1080p fairly well, a good CPU, SSD loading speed, quiet, and small form factor.

LostDonkey

"Rock solid 60fps @ 4K with full ray traced GI and emissive lighting throughout"

That's going to come under some serious scrutiny.

Alan Wake

Great news. I grabbed it from my backlog this year and gosh, what a ride it was. Definitely better than I anticipated. I had some issues with the controls and did not think the game looked as good as I had hoped, but the story was great and I loved the combat and the environments.

Riky

$MSFT
Looking forward to this, completed the first two games but even though I own this with the season pass have held off playing it until this patch. Technically they say they have VRS support so could be very interesting how that pans out.

If this comes out for series S with ray tracing intact at 1080p, does this put to bed forever the foolish notion that the Series S is some sort of Xbox one clone that cripple's next gen? (when clearly it has tons of next gen features?)
I suppose not, lots in denial wanting MS to fail at all costs, even if the S is nice piece of hardware. (as is the X and the PS5)
Argue the value/cost proposition all you want, but that doesn't negate what the machine actually is, a pretty decent little box that plays games at 1080p fairly well, a good CPU, SSD loading speed, quiet, and small form factor.
You KNOW the answer to this. The numerous games that come out with raytracing and better performance than anything last generation has only made people move the goal post to something else. People will hate on the XSS on principle it is not a substantive criticism.

dcmk7

Banned
The developers of this very game were actually the ones who predicted the Series S memory will be an issue going forward.

And the console caused them plenty of problems doing this next-gen patch, just read the interview their CTO did fairly recently.

So I guess we should take their words seriously, since they are obviously a very talented bunch and not totally incompetent like some people like to make out.

DaGwaphics

The developers of this very game were actually the ones who predicted the Series S memory will be an issue going forward.

And the console caused them plenty of problems doing this next-gen patch, just read the interview their CTO did fairly recently.

So I guess we should take their words seriously, since they are obviously a very talented bunch and not totally incompetent like some people like to make out.

Maybe not mistaking the word challenging for impossible would be another good rule of thumb.

dcmk7

Banned
Maybe not mistaking the word challenging for impossible would be another good rule of thumb.
Don't get this, or maybe you have misunderstood or misread my post.

I'm making no predictions just relying on what comes out into the public domain by the developers themselves. I tend to believe they are more trustworthy and knowledgeable than armchair engineers on here.

DaGwaphics

Don't get this, or maybe you have misunderstood or misread my post.

I'm making no predictions just relying on what comes out into the public domain by the developers themselves. I tend to believe they are more trustworthy and knowledgeable than armchair engineers on here.

I quoted you only because I was adding this to your post, not as a counterpoint to yours if that makes any sense. Devs have spoken about the potential challenges of working with XSS, many read that as it's not going to be possible to get anything on there.

assurdum

Banned
People is not native 4k. They use their own reconstruction method. And they said that if you payed attention.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
at least we are all getting used to the marketing speech for 4k on consoles.
basically means, some crazy trickery to reconstruct a 4k image. If it looks good, it looks good.

we have exclusives advertising 4k that actually render at 1080p and still look great, so who the fuck are we to judge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom