• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

K' Dash

I think I reached the final boss 🤕 That was it for me tonight, time to sleep and cry in the pillow, I’ll go back to find more stuff before I try that again.

Just learn the patterns and do a super bomb when he does the sphere bomb, also parry the fucker on any opportunity you have.

carlosrox

Banned
Is it just me or does the
Chozo language sound sorta Spanish? Definitely felt like there was a bit of Spanish influence in some of the pronunciations.

Also, it's weird that I sorta feel like I'm at the end of the game but obviously I'm not even close, unless things manage to speed up quickly once you see the cutscene I did?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I'm 5 hours into the game and have problems to find the next way where i should go.
These are my tips for playing Metroid Dread

1. Shoot everything, use missiles constantly
2. Refer to ZDR map
3. Use every conceivable upgrade you have, all spaces of every room
4. Traverse + explore all corners of the map if you’re stuck
5. Refer to Samus’ Mission log to re-read the details given to you by Adam

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Are you guys using Shinespark against bosses? It's surprisingly efficient against a lot of them and super satisfying to pull off. Look at this strat for a boss a lot of people have been struggling against, he barely lasts 30 seconds:

I tried to shine spark against the project whatever boss that blows you back toward the pink wall but couldn’t pull it off on my first play through. I did see it’s possible and is basically an instant kill for its second phase.

This game seems like it’s basically going to blow Super Metroid out of the water when it comes to advanced strats. GDQ races are gonna be 🔥

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Metroid Dread on Nintendo Switch has arrived, with our Metroid Dread review last week on IGN, here we give the new Switch OLED and base models the Performance treatment.
Suiting up and exploring the map as our favorite bounty hunter, Samus Aran, we review the graphics, Docked versus Undocked modes, OLED versus standard, frame rates, sound, and much more.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You can damage Samus by using a boost?
no, in most games where you get knocked back from taking damage, runners take advantage of this to help move more quickly through rooms or skip sections. It’s a big part of Super Metroid running, not sure how applicable it is in Dread but typically runners will just do whatever is fastest, even if it means taking damage. There’s pretty much 0 chance a no damage run would be a faster run

Aldric

no, in most games where you get knocked back from taking damage, runners take advantage of this to help move more quickly through rooms or skip sections. It’s a big part of Super Metroid running, not sure how applicable it is in Dread but typically runners will just do whatever is fastest, even if it means taking damage. There’s pretty much 0 chance a no damage run would be a faster run
The early grapple beam sequence break used two tricky damage boosts to cross a gap above lava but it's already been replaced by another advanced technique where Samus can jump out of a slide in mid air which gives her a sort of pseudo double jump kind of like the roll jump in the Donkey Kong Country games.

Are you guys using Shinespark against bosses? It's surprisingly efficient against a lot of them and super satisfying to pull off. Look at this strat for a boss a lot of people have been struggling against, he barely lasts 30 seconds:

Yeah lol starting a fight with a shine spark feels so damn good

tommib

Holy moly.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Man this one shinesprint block in Dairon is fucking unreal. They’re asking for 100% accuracy here. Must have attempted 100 times by now

Edit: Got that one after much struggling. Challenge is 10/10 with some of these Shinesparks. Mercury Stream was not fucking around when they made this game. Metroid Dread is the real deal

Last edited:

tommib

Final boss, 10 tries, no luck yet
I can do the 1st phase almost without damage now. Second phase? Nope. I might not use the best attacks but I think I know what to do on all his attacks at least. I just have to stop messing up really lol
Still GOTY
He’s a SOB but you’ll get there. I found phase 1 much more difficult honestly. I couldn’t pull the right parry, like never. Phase 2 is just jumping around him shooting missiles while he machine guns you. Sorry, wasn’t trying to sound patronising. :p I have to say that what comes after that boss fight is probably my highlight of the game. :D

Last edited:

Fredrik

He’s a SOB but you’ll get there. I found phase 1 much more difficult honestly. I couldn’t pull the right parry, like never. Phase 2 is just jumping around him shooting missiles while he machine guns you. Sorry, wasn’t trying to sound patronising. :p I have to say that what comes after that boss fight is probably my highlight of the game. :D
Spoiler tag for those who’re not there yet 🤐
I do the parry 100% 😎
But how do you get time to aim missiles during that machine gun attack? I’m just going in circles around him with space jump. Then shooting with the gun when that’s over, missiles are too slow imo, found out during phase 1 that the gun gets him faster, if you’re fast enough and kinda just vibrate on the button. But I’ll try missiles on phase 2, he takes an insane amount of gun shots, maybe missiles are better there

tommib

Spoiler tag for those who’re not there yet 🤐
I do the parry 100% 😎
But how do you get time to aim missiles during that machine gun attack? I’m just going in circles around him with space jump. Then shooting with the gun when that’s over, missiles are too slow imo, found out during phase 1 that the gun gets him faster, if you’re fast enough and kinda just vibrate on the button. But I’ll try missiles on phase 2, he takes an insane amount of gun shots, maybe missiles are better there
Lock him with multiple missiles before starting to jump around him and then let them go to find a way into his skull!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just beat it, 6:30 without going for extra items. What a hell of a game!

I kinda can't believe they just made a Metroid-ass-Metroid game. Yes, there's the EMMI segments that make up maybe 10% of the whole thing if you're being generous but honestly I found them to be a nice way to break up the rest of the game. Other than that it was exactly what I wanted and I'm staggered a mainstream Nintendo release in 2021 was this challenging and engaging. Please for the love of god give Mercury Steam the greenlight for two more of these, or hell, a new 2D Zelda if you're not gonna do it yourselves, Nintendo, it's been 8 years and even that was a borrowed overworld.

Bragr

Banned
At the end...
"...it says "look forward to more adventures" or something of the sort, does this mean we can expect that MercurySteam is going straight to work on a new game you think?"]

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
At the end...
"...it says "look forward to more adventures" or something of the sort, does this mean we can expect that MercurySteam is going straight to work on a new game you think?"]
Don't they say the same thing for every Metroid? "See you on the next mission". Kind of a slogan.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I completed maybe four or five shinespark areas last night. It was an intense gaming session even though all that was being done was collecting some items haha

What a great game, Mercury Steam should win many awards for their work here. If they aren’t handing out accolades left and right to Metroid Dread then something went wrong

2nd best Nintendo Switch game IMO, right after BOTW

Bragr

Banned
Just beat it, 6:30 without going for extra items. What a hell of a game!

I kinda can't believe they just made a Metroid-ass-Metroid game. Yes, there's the EMMI segments that make up maybe 10% of the whole thing if you're being generous but honestly I found them to be a nice way to break up the rest of the game. Other than that it was exactly what I wanted and I'm staggered a mainstream Nintendo release in 2021 was this challenging and engaging. Please for the love of god give Mercury Steam the greenlight for two more of these, or hell, a new 2D Zelda if you're not gonna do it yourselves, Nintendo, it's been 8 years and even that was a borrowed overworld.
Yeah, I spent around 7:30 on the game, but I spent a long time on the last boss, probably 1.5 to 2 hours, and I saved every time I quit the game, so all the time I spent on the boss got added. I just couldn't understand what I was supposed to do with his "gold armour", I must have spent a good hour on that alone. And that last sun thing that shoots those beam things you have to dodge fucked me up.

But if I remove all the time I spent on bosses, it must have clocked at around 4-5 hours exploration, if not less, which is sort of crazy. And for some reason, the length doesn't bother me at all, it's the sort of game that gets better and better, the upgrades change the gameplay slightly constantly and it always feels fresh. The game plays so fucking good, I'm not sure if any other 2D game plays this good.

Fredrik

Yeah, but now we got MercurySteam, considering they went from Samus Returns to Metroid Dread, it might very well mean it's the new "2D Metroid Team".

Or at least allow me to dream goddammit.
What scares me now is that Nintendo don’t own them. And look at what happened with Moon Studios, they’re off doing whatever they’re doing in Private Division’s bed and with that Ori is on hiatus and Microsoft can’t do a thing about it.

Fredrik

Lock him with multiple missiles before starting to jump around him and then let them go to find a way into his skull!
That worked surprisingly well!
Phase 2 down! 👍
And there is a phase 3… Of course it is, it always is.
Time to dissect attack patterns again, what a boss fight holy crap

Fredrik

Done! 💪

Slow ass playthrough compared to what people has posted here…
mIQ1jMe.jpg

But I’m so glad I did it!

The struggle was real but the playthrough was so so so satisfying. I’m a huge fan of Super Metroid, I need to digest my thoughts on Metroid Dread, probably do a 100% run too, before I can consider putting Metroid Dread above Super Metroid. They’re incredibly close. Either way this is not only my Game of the Year but in the top part of my best game of all time list since Super Metroid is my #1.

What a magnificent revival for 2D Metroid! ❤️

tommib

Done! 💪

Slow ass playthrough compared to what people has posted here…
mIQ1jMe.jpg

But I’m so glad I did it!

The struggle was real but the playthrough was so so so satisfying. I’m a huge fan of Super Metroid, I need to digest my thoughts on Metroid Dread, probably do a 100% run too, before I can consider putting Metroid Dread above Super Metroid. They’re incredibly close. Either way this is not only my Game of the Year but in the top part of my best game of all time list since Super Metroid is my #1.

What a magnificent revival for 2D Metroid! ❤️
Congrats, man! My Switch is showing 20 hours of Dread so that’s an average playtime. Time for hard mode, now!

Aldric

I completed maybe four or five shinespark areas last night. It was an intense gaming session even though all that was being done was collecting some items haha

What a great game, Mercury Steam should win many awards for their work here. If they aren’t handing out accolades left and right to Metroid Dread then something went wrong

2nd best Nintendo Switch game IMO, right after BOTW
I think it's definitely the best Switch exclusive, not counting Wii U ports/double releases.

Porcile

I got the morph ball shinepark missile expansion in Furenia but I have absolutely no idea how I did it. Must have tried 100 times to replicate it. How exactly do you maintain a charge after exiting from the morph ball?

tommib

I got the morph ball shinepark missile expansion in Furenia but I have absolutely no idea how I did it. Must have tried 100 times to replicate it. How exactly do you maintain a charge after exiting from the morph ball?
Can’t help there. Could never pull that off. Only by accident.

Aldric

Is that the one from the entrance of Ferenia coming from Ghavoran? There's multiple ways to do it, but my method was

activate the speedbooster in the room on the right, wall jump twice to reach the platform above, slide through the breakable blocks, charge shinespark in the alcove on the left, morph ball, bomb the blocks, shinespark up.

Jsisto

Man, I feel so stupid that I didn’t think to use a certain weapon on those plant platforms in Ghavoran in order to yank that one grapple beam block. I googled what to do, and will forever live with this shame…

Edited after realizing that may be considered a spoiler for some. How do I use spoiler tags btw. 😂

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Hmm, I think my OCD item hunting and exploration has altered the path of the game. Not sure I was supposed to get to the boss I just killed when I did

So I beat water tentacle boy Drogyga and then a couple of the Chozo soldiers

...then I went exploring and picked up the gravity suit

Then everything got icy and I got funneled along a path towards Cataris, but while fucking around I found a route through artaria which got me to the Screw attack.

Then I went to Cataris to sort the heating problem out and got into a fight with a big bastard who had gooed up the thermal plant. The screw attack seemed kinda broken in one phase as it one-shotted his feet when he was clinging onto the walls aiming a shot at me.

Not sure I should have the Gravity suit and Shinespark yet. The gravity suit required a nasty series of shinesparks that I just can't see the developer being sadistic enough to make a requirement to get that upgrade. And the screw attack required a funky little ball shinespark and air bombing a set of blocks which also seems a tad complex for a regular path.

Adam is talking like I'm near the end but I'm still missing some upgrades (like the multi-missile I saw in the trailers)

I am confused, but nonetheless greatly enjoying the exploration and combat.

Last edited:

Phase

Hmm, I think my OCD item hunting and exploration has altered the path of the game. Not sure I was supposed to get to the boss I just killed when I did

Then everything got icy and I got funneled along a path towards Cataris, but while fucking around I found a route through artaria which got me to the Screw attack.

Then I went to Cataris to sort the heating problem out and got into a fight with a big bastard who had gooed up the thermal plant. The screw attack seemed kinda broken in one phase as it one-shotted his feet when he was clinging onto the walls aiming a shot at me.

Not sure I should have the Gravity suit and Shinespark yet. The gravity suit required a nasty series of shinesparks that I just can't see the developer being sadistic enough to make a requirement to get that upgrade. And the screw attack required a funky little ball shinespark and air bombing a set of blocks which also seems a tad complex for a regular path.

Adam is talking like I'm near the end but I'm still missing some upgrades (like the multi-missile I saw in the trailers)

That's part of what makes these types of games so great.

Astral Dog

I was not gonna replay on hard mode, but then i heard they reward you with new endings than normal so decided to give it a shot, its so much fun! Not really different tbh, if you beat normal you can do hard, but speed running, knowing how to deal with the Emmis, makes them less annoying when the goal is rush to the end boss!
Tbh, playing this I remember why I don't like the genre. I hate being lost and/or not knowing what to do or where to go - and especially not to know how to get there. You run into one place, see it is a dead end or you are missing some crucial tool. You leave and go elsewhere, another dead end. Soon I have wasted 30 mins. just running from place to place with zero progress while killing the same enemies over and over again. Everywhere I go, there's either a new kind of door or morph ball hole blocking my way.

And when I have a feeling I know where to go - like toward one of the bosses in this game -, the game stops me on my tracks and directs me elsewhere, like to a new sector.

It was the same with past adventure games. As much I love them, it was incredibly frustrating not to know what to do and you just ended up running all the places over and over for hours until you pixel hunted that one last missing item or found where to use that one item to get some progress.

I like this game and I want to like it more, when it is good it is very good. It may just be that genre frustrations stop me from enjoying it. Also I hate how my son - who loves these kind of games and who finished this already and who wants to watch me play this one - has to see my frustration.
Dude, the game is essentially a straightline from start to end, it points you were to go through its level design so you don't get lost(but you can obviously still get lost if you don't pay attention or want to pick items and its a bitch going back, on my first playthrough i go back twice) there is never a point were the game expects you to go back to a previous zone to progress but doesn't place a teleporter or train conveniently next to you .
And thats mostly because they want people to speed run it to get the ending pictures. The teleporters open up when you use all of them, so its better to beat the story, get the ending and then item hunt with upgraded Samus, keep going!

Astral Dog

you need the hook thing and space jump to explore Burenia and get the Gravity Suit first says ADAM, then explore cold Artaria, but i didn't know you could get the shiny attack before the boss battle, as ADAM directs you to take it later when its unfrozen 😳

daveonezero

Banned
It took me a good few hours to understand how they want you to progress. They seal off the "way back" a lot so you can only explore forward a couple of ways. Very frustrating at first, but it's designed a specific way.
Yep. You basically get “trapped” and it’s a puzzle to find your way out. I experienced this in Super Everytime I tried to play it but couldn’t find the way out.

here while I may backtrack and explore a few areas a bit eventually I get it and it is a nice sequence.

One thing I don’t like about this game is items and abilities.
it seems like it is pretty sporadic. I’ll go a whole without finding anything then it’s like I get two or three upgrades. And now I’m at a point where boses aren’t even giving me powers.

it’s ok but a little jarring.

Astral Dog

Yeah, but now we got MercurySteam, considering they went from Samus Returns to Metroid Dread, it might very well mean it's the new "2D Metroid Team".

Or at least allow me to dream goddammit.
Sakamoto already has planned for Metroid 6 and beyond, he said he really wants to pass the
using Metroids as bioweapons plot arc, and that Dread's ending will hint at future games

Its a very safe bet there will be more Metroid from MercurySteam!

Last edited:

Phase

Yep. You basically get “trapped” and it’s a puzzle to find your way out. I experienced this in Super Everytime I tried to play it but couldn’t find the way out.

here while I may backtrack and explore a few areas a bit eventually I get it and it is a nice sequence.

One thing I don’t like about this game is items and abilities.
it seems like it is pretty sporadic. I’ll go a whole without finding anything then it’s like I get two or three upgrades. And now I’m at a point where boses aren’t even giving me powers.

it’s ok but a little jarring.
Agree. Also, I can't remember how long is was but I was pretty far into the playthrough before I got the double jump. That was a little souring.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
you need the hook thing and space jump to explore Burenia and get the Gravity Suit first says ADAM, then explore cold Artaria, but i didn't know you could get the shiny attack before the boss battle, as ADAM directs you to take it later when its unfrozen 😳

Yeah... I think I've missed a couple of bosses. I need to go back and hunt around to see if they're still available.

Got the hook and the space jump, then grabbed the Gravity suit after running a shinespark gauntlet. Then Adam said things were getting frosty, most of the doors were frozen and the game was clearly trying to filter me towards Cataris but I found some bomb points and gaps including one on the ceiling that I got through via a balled shinespark and that allowed me to back track through Artaria via areas that were blocked off by frozen doors - that eventually allowed me to get to the door leading to the Screw Attack.

Adam's comments after the fight with the big bastard did make me wonder if I'd skipped a part. After beating the big bastard ADAM basically said "You're much improved than you were when you landed here.. oh, and you've got the screw attack so jog on"

Last edited:
Top Bottom