• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

gtrwll

Finished the game last night, 12 hours (not counting deaths) and 100% items. Some of the bosses were hard, but manageable after 2-3 tries if you pay attention to the patterns. Most of the time I was dying because I hadn’t learned how to utilize the skillset available.

But yeah. This is a true Metroid game. Haven’t had such a fluid gameplay in a long time, controlling Samus just felt good. My only gripe was the linearity, at most times it was too evident where to go. And the music could have been better at times. GOTY? Just might be…

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Dread’s linearity is only apparent. They made an outstanding job of placing hints and putting transports and teleports in your way for people new to the series, so you don’t get lost too easily. But the ideal sequence can be broken in so many points, and most of the skips and breaks are clearly intended. The game is more open than it looks if you’re curious and willing to explore and experiment.

J3nga

I'm new to the genre and this is my first metroid game but it got me hooked for the whole weekend, i'd so much rather keep playing it instead of going to work on monday. I have tried Ori, but it has too much annoying platforming at least for my liking so i dropped the game after ~6h metroid dread just doesn't have annoying platforming and setting is more appealing to me. I have been stuck a few times but eventually found the path and didn't have to google.

I’m stuck on the final boss second form. I’ve watched videos but I can’t figure out how to trigger the quick time event to blast him with missles

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I’m stuck on the final boss second form. I’ve watched videos but I can’t figure out how to trigger the quick time event to blast him with missles

"Gold armor form" - Run in close and parry when he taunts
"Golden sun orb" can be destroyed by a Power Bomb

I hope that helps! :)

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
The sound effects in this game are ALL 10/10.

One of the coolest games ever made. That Samus. Those abilities.

That isolation in item rooms. The atmosphere.

Oh my God the
X are back! And that ZOMBIE Chozo. Wasn't expecting that
!

13:46 with still tonnnns to go! The last few hours of this game have been brilliance! Every room, every new fucking item, enemy, puzzle, cut scene, it's all so DAMN good!

Playing a modern classic!

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
The sound effects in this game are ALL 10/10.

One of the coolest games ever made. That Samus. Those abilities.

That isolation in item rooms. The atmosphere.

Oh my God the
X are back! And that ZOMBIE Chozo. Wasn't expecting that
!

13:46 with still tonnnns to go! The last few hours of this game have been brilliance! Every room, every new fucking item, enemy, puzzle, cut scene, it's all so DAMN good!

Playing a modern classic!
It's the GOAT.

The level of skill you gain in this game is remarkable. Watch a couple speedrunning vids.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It took me hours to figure this out, sprint at him when he laughs and points, and do a deflect at the exact time you reach him, it triggers the cutscene.

Aldric

The speedrun is starting to get crazy, they're starting to implement weird glitches already but what's cool is that it's not OOB bullshit where they're clipping through the void but things that can still be considered insane movement mechanics, basically exploiting some of the side effects of the shinespark. Very impressive to watch.

daveonezero

Banned
The speedrun is starting to get crazy, they're starting to implement weird glitches already but what's cool is that it's not OOB bullshit where they're clipping through the void but things that can still be considered insane movement mechanics, basically exploiting some of the side effects of the shinespark. Very impressive to watch.
Yeah I'm looking forward to just finishing so I can see some more skilled play throughs.

Phase

The best time for speedruns is when games come out. It's fun seeing different runs take shape and strategies found.

carlosrox

Banned
I already thought I really loved the game before but now at this point it's just solidified itself as an all-time seminal experience.

So much actual jaw opening, put the controller down shit going on now. Once you hit Burenia and the following two areas, the game just really turns up the fucking awesome.

I have a ton of videos to share from Sat night. I'll just share some of them for now.

The details and art direction are magnificent.

I was squirming in my fucking seat getting this map just seeing this entire chunk of the area I didn't even know existed get revealed. The game KEEPS tickling my Metroid fan bone, it's amazing. Various block puzzles, morph ball sections, etc are the dreams of many a Metroid fan. Delicious.

All these details...

Last edited:

Labolas

Yeah, just started playing yesterday. Beat the first boss and I have to say I'm impressed in fact I think this is the best new game you could buy right now. Never played a Metroid game before only watched friends play it. And I think I get it. I get why people love the series and the character so much. This game encapsulates Samus as a badass.

DonF

Beat it last night. Great game, but I kinda wanted more? Game time was a little over 8 hours. With 60% something item completion. I don't need more energy or missiles tbh.
It feels like a fresh Metroid. I liked the move set, although I hate the moon jump, not the timing but the fact that you can't do it from a normal jump.
I would say it's a solid 7.5 to me. Nothing new, but a great execution.

Pejo

Well I struggled on what I just found out was the last boss last night for like an hour before giving up for the evening. I had no idea I was already there, I thought it was just like one of those mid-game fights where you fight the boss and then he runs away at half health or something. Went to look at how to dodge one of his moves and found that it actually is the last boss. Man that was out of nowhere.

I guess I really have to go back and explore the shit out of the world now. I was hoping you'd eventually unlock the ability to teleport between save points to make backtracking easier and faster, but I guess no dice there.

Quick question, without me going back specifically to look for a way -

Is it not possible to get to Samus' ship? That was the objective since the start, but I made it the whole way to Raven Beak's fight without ever getting there. I assumed the game would hard funnel you into going there at some point in the story, but after finding out that Raven Beak was the last boss, I was kinda bummed that it didn't.

Phase

Well I struggled on what I just found out was the last boss last night for like an hour before giving up for the evening. I had no idea I was already there, I thought it was just like one of those mid-game fights where you fight the boss and then he runs away at half health or something. Went to look at how to dodge one of his moves and found that it actually is the last boss. Man that was out of nowhere.

I guess I really have to go back and explore the shit out of the world now. I was hoping you'd eventually unlock the ability to teleport between save points to make backtracking easier and faster, but I guess no dice there.

Quick question, without me going back specifically to look for a way -

Is it not possible to get to Samus' ship? That was the objective since the start, but I made it the whole way to Raven Beak's fight without ever getting there. I assumed the game would hard funnel you into going there at some point in the story, but after finding out that Raven Beak was the last boss, I was kinda bummed that it didn't.
After you beat him you run to your ship.

Termite

This game reminds me of Tropical Freeze in that at first you think "That's damn good", but then as you replay it and marinate on it you realize that it's far, far better than you originally thought.

Did my 2nd run of the game, decided to do hard mode. Went for sub four hours because why not.

At the save room after the power bomb, I was at 03:43. I reckoned that was plenty of time to race to the finish. I did so, and played the final boss quickly and flawlessly on my first attempt, then had a super-smooth run to the end, with about 1.40 left on the escape clock.

When the timer came up after the credits, it read 03:59:57. I made it by three seconds. If I had made even one mistake in the final part of my run I wouldn't have made it. A real fist-pump moment.

Playing through it a second time makes you realise just how linear the game can be if you're paying attention (any time you see a teleporter it's going to take you where you need to go). But when you first play the game it doesn't seem linear. And then, once you realize how linear it actually is, you see all the ways to break that linearity through skips, and understand that it is just about as non-linear as you originally thought - if you want it to be.

Remarkable.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
This game reminds me of Tropical Freeze in that at first you think "That's damn good", but then as you replay it and marinate on it you realize that it's far, far better than you originally thought.

Did my 2nd run of the game, decided to do hard mode. Went for sub four hours because why not.

At the save room after the power bomb, I was at 03:43. I reckoned that was plenty of time to race to the finish. I did so, and played the final boss quickly and flawlessly on my first attempt, then had a super-smooth run to the end, with about 1.40 left on the escape clock.

When the timer came up after the credits, it read 03:59:57. I made it by three seconds. If I had made even one mistake in the final part of my run I wouldn't have made it. A real fist-pump moment.

Playing through it a second time makes you realise just how linear the game can be if you're paying attention (any time you see a teleporter it's going to take you where you need to go). But when you first play the game it doesn't seem linear. And then, once you realize how linear it actually is, you see all the ways to break that linearity through skips, and understand that it is just about as non-linear as you originally thought - if you want it to be.

Remarkable.
Yeah it sort of is linear but if you want you can backtrack and go explore more regions. As long as you aren’t in one of the “traps” where you are sort of pushed in one direction.

It really is well done. People bitch about backtracking whether it is present or not. Either they want it or hate it. This game sort of gives the best of both worlds.

Termite

Yeah it sort of is linear but if you want you can backtrack and go explore more regions. As long as you aren’t in one of the “traps” where you are sort of pushed in one direction.

It really is well done. People bitch about backtracking whether it is present or not. Either they want it or hate it. This game sort of gives the best of both worlds.
Agreed, but having said that I'd like their next one to have bigger, more open areas like Samus Returns too. I replayed SR in between my two playthroughs of Dread, and one thing I noticed was how SR was willing to dump you into huge areas where there's like 3 different places you need to go and you can do them in any order. There are some huge rooms in SR, too. Dread is quite claustrophobic by comparison.

Mostly though SR just confirmed what a massive step forward Dread was. The counter move really dominates SR as a game, whereas in Dread it's perfectly judged.

Marty-McFly

Banned

Remarkable.
88 is a great score but I can't help but feel reviewers couldn't realise this games greatness with such a short time window to play it.

It's a 95 plus metacritic game.

Phase

88 is a great score but I can't help but feel reviewers couldn't realise this games greatness with such a short time window to play it.

It's a 95 plus metacritic game.
I have to disagree.

-music isn't memorable at all
-boss fights repeated
-areas could be more uniquely memorable
-could run smoother at times
-you get the double jump too late in the game (imo)

88 seems just right.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I have to disagree.

-boss fights repeated

88 seems just right.
I like the music and sound overall. I think it works really well.

I don’t see the Mini boss fight being repeated that much of a con because the actual boss fights were awesome.

the areas while maybe a little too safe and similar the details were good. I’d like to see some more variety and effects from the environments. But overall the amount of subtle work done for the environments is top notch.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I have to disagree.

-boss fights repeated
-you get the double jump too late in the game (imo)

88 seems just right.
- Sub bosses are repeated. Not real bosses, which are some of the best ever
- Areas have never been more memorable
- It's smooth af
- You get the double jump exactly when you need it

Disagree hard on every point. Ambient music is growing on me as well. Especially the death, boss and Emmi areas.

This game has fewer weaknesses than any I've ever played.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Got it done. Last boss took me like 45mins.
GJpDu1U.jpg

Mozzarella

After 11 hours i finished the game, i have to say by the end i was enjoying it very much, the final boss fight is easily the best one in the game, the puzzles are smart and well made and i changed my opinion on the environment design as i view it as good now, the soundtrack went from awful to decent as well, overall my experience with the game improved a lot, at first i was struggling with getting used to the controls and i was comparing it to my 2 favorite metroidvanias which made me not enjoy it as much, but as soon as i dropped this way of thinking and started to play it for what it is it got better. I will do another run later but as of now its a very good game on its own, 4/5 from me and one of the best games for this year.

Things that i loved:
The Abilities you acquire are very neat and super fun to use, such as power dash, speed booster and power bomb and morph ball.
The controls, while i disliked them at first, i have to say they are very smooth and when you get used to them they feel very nice, also some techniques are rewarding.
The level design, the maps and the rooms are well designed.
The puzzles around the items were smart and interesting.

Things that are decent but could be improved:
- Art Direction, at first i thought it was dull and bland but later as the game progressed it greatly improved, i loved the water areas, but the others were just average.
- Soundtrack, most tracks were forgettable tbh but some of them were right to fit in the game and its atmosphere.
- Atmosphere, the stalker emmi gave horror vibes, but sometimes it was frustrating and annoying rather than good, other than that it was decent atmospheric wise, because exploring the underground water areas was a joy, most others meh.
- Combat, i think a lot of enemies are just boring to keep fighting, some bosses were awful as well but some are amazing bosses so its kinda in the middle for me.
- Exploration, its decent, but i wish there was more things to find other than missiles tanks and energy tanks and power bombs, but if we count the abilities then its great, but we dont since the abilities are part of the main game path to progress, i mean exploration as optional.

Things i didnt care about or disliked:
- The story and the characters. I'm not expert in the Metroid universe, i only played Metroid Prime games, but the story and the characters of Dread didnt strike me as something memorable or good, they are just there and i didnt care about them.
- The price tag, i dont want to be that guy since my financial situation is fine, but 60$ for this kind of game feels like asking too much, i would say 40$ sounds about right.

Overall this was enjoyable game, very good and looking forward for more.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Time to get some more vids up in this bitch.

I'm not even done yet and I'm already dying for a sequel. They should really do a Samus Returns Remaster. I'd be all over that. Or DLC. All I know is I really don't wanna wait so long again for another one of these. And of course this game has me even more hyped for Prime 4. Or a collection!

JUST GIMME MORE METROID!

Last edited:

tommib

Got to be honest, I have dozens of amazing games to continue and finish but I’m itching to just continue my hard mode playthrough in Dread. This only happened recently with Returnal.

I would be playing something and was like, fuck it, lauching Returnal. I think it’s the full gameplay experience games like these offer with 0 bloat and also the dark sci-fi aesthetics that are probably part of my favourite gaming environments.

I don’t care what anyone else says, 2021 has been one of my favourite years in videogame history. Totally in love with games again.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Got to be honest, I have dozens of amazing games to continue and finish but I’m itching to just continue my hard mode playthrough in Dread. This only happened recently with Returnal.

I would be playing something and was like, fuck it, lauching Returnal. I think it’s the full gameplay experience games like these offer with 0 bloat and also the dark sci-fi aesthetics that are probably part of my favourite gaming environments.

I don’t care what anyone else says, 2021 has been one of my favourite years in videogame history. Totally in love with games again.
Returnal was awesome to me. My favorite game this year other than Metroid, which feels more fleshed out and deep.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Finished it

Playtime: 16:18:06
100% items

FInal boss slapped me around a bit until I figured out his moves.

Really enjoyed that game. Most I've enjoyed a game in a long time and the length worked out just about right for me. It's fantastically put together, I was quite happy just wandering off and exploring which is why I ended up accidentally sequence breaking (looked it up after finishing - my route was very much out of the linear order) and managed to figure out so many tricks to the controls and abilities.

I love how god-like and broken you are towards the end of the game, so much so that traversing the areas is effortless and the enemies pose no threat whatsoever. I like that feeling of development that Metroid does so well... of going from fragile scrub who has to pick their fights and run from many, to badass space soldier who can hold their ground against most enemies, to unstoppable energy being of insta-death who is phased only by the toughest of bosses. Hell, the only thing they could do to improve it is have some of the enemies start trying to run away.

Bosses were tough. A couple were no hassle due to my early upgrades but others could really bring the pain until you figured them out and even then you had to be on your toes and be able to make use of your skills.

As a game type, Metroid(vania)s are some of my favorites and I make it a habit to buy and play as many as I can. Among them I'd rank this one right up in the S-tier. Controls really well, level layout is excellent, difficulty is spot on, freedom to explore and circumvent the expected path is designed into the game and really well implemented, and save-points and restarts are well placed to avoid time wasting and needless frustration resulting from death.

Not sure how I feel about that ending though...

Metroid Samus was... weird. Not sure if I like the addition and the suit made her look remarkably like a space pirate. Plus I'm not sure how that X parasite works merging with a Metroid given that they're biologically opposed and a Metroid is literally made to kill X.

The final boss was tough but fair. First form slapped me around and I got a bit frustrated trying to figure out how to hurt him given he was invulnerable most of the time. That said, once I did figure it out I was able to beat his first form with full energy, missiles and bombs. Second form was fairer and really kept you on your toes - probably the most fun of the three as it kept you moving and required you to shift between actions rapidly. Third form was just easy and didn't even get a kill out of me. The reveal was interesting - didn't see that coming.

A couple of niggles pertain only to items

Super missiles were a big let down in this game. They were more of a minor upgrade to regular missiles than the "Super" missiles they should have been. I much preferred being able to switch between regular and super missiles with a toggle, having ammo for Super missiles be more limited, but them doing a big hit a step down from power bombs rather than just adding a little splash damage.

I'd prefer the ice beam back too. Beam switching was fun and added a lot to the game when you had to pick the right weapon for certain enemies.

I also miss the Metroids. They were iconic and added a certain level of terror and panic to the game when you encountered them. Having one of the little bastards latch on and trying to shake it and then kill it kept late game tense and challenging.

Great game. Sorely tempted to do a hard run playthough and try the regular route straight away, even if it goes against my efforts to get through more of my backlog.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I think this week I’m going in. Got 100% Items, took a break after like 40-50 hrs of play and it’ll soon be time to approach the final boss

The gallery has some good concept art too. Raven Beak standing among other Chozo warriors like they’re nothing. Looks like he’s 12 feet tall too if I had to guess

Pejo

I think if you were at any point in your life what used to be called a "core gamer", this is a damn near perfect video game.

• Tight controls
  • Great and purposeful level design (man I missed this vs. procedurally generated and roguelike bs)
  • Fun bosses with special scenes for mastering the counter and playing well, but can almost all be beat without it.
  • Difficulty that doesn't bend over for you, but you're never set so far back that you can't get right back into the action.
  • Great implementation of "show, don't tell" teaching. You get a new ability, a tooltip, then usually a perfect example of what you're going to do with your new ability. It feels very natural
  • Good atmosphere and background animations. Make the world feel bigger than it is. I thought Ori did this better, but it was used well in Dread.
  • EMMIs were a fun stealth section to break up the gameplay and almost give the game a whole new "mode" since sometimes rushing to the end of the stage was either way harder or impossible to do.
My only negative takeaways:
  • The music was too much just ambient sounds and tones. When the Super Metroid arrange theme hits, it hits well, but boss fights deserved better.
  • Sometimes I felt a little too railroaded into a specific path. I'm usually a player that likes to explore various areas before moving forward, but those level changes that are irreversible kinda rubbed me wrong a few times.
  • Didn't really like the jump options. Spin Boost was kinda worthless on its own and you have to do a diagonal jump to use it, and Space Jump just trivialized the rest of the game as far as movement and exploration. I would have rather had a traditional double/triple jump or glide or something else. I also found the Grapple Beam a little underutilized and hard to control for the repeated swinging sections.
  • Your weapon was just a unidirectional upgrade. I realize it slows down gameplay to have to swap weapons, but I wish each one stayed useful and had a unique purpose. Of course doing it this way avoids the dreaded "color coded enemies" awfulness, so maybe it's a net neutral.
I still haven't beaten the game yet, but after hitting my head against the final boss for a while, I decided to go back and explore/power up a bit before trying again. Really enjoying my time with this game.

daveonezero

Banned
Just went back to Bruenia. Omg that waterfall atmosphere. No idea how to do that puzzle and saving it for another time.

I for one really didn't miss double jump. I like how it isn't just a "jump any time in the air" It changes things up a bit from the standard double jump.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Our local Metroid Dread super fan got banned :eek:

Marty McFly!
Fading Michael J Fox GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

What for?? Checked his last few posts and couldn't find anything.

It's okay, I'm a bigger fan than he'll ever be ;) I'm just getting fuckin started here and I haven't even finished it yet! DO YOU SEE MARTY SPAMMING VIDEOS OF THE GAME?!?! 🤣

Is he coming back?!?!

J3nga

Just finished the game, not fucking going back to it, shit's too addictive, when i was not playing I was thinking about playing it. Loved almost everything about it, from level design and atmosphere to boss battles.

Kinda disappointing, phase 1 and phase 3 real easy I'd say phase 3 is a checkbox, phase 2 is more difficult although after few trials you're good. But then again I have spent half the day on Isshin, the sword saint in Sekiro where one phase took me more than an hour to get to the other just to die in 5 seconds.

I wish this game wasn't locked to a specific platform, 900p in docked mode really doesn't do justice this game, 4K/120fps would have been much better.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Just finished the game, not fucking going back to it, shit's too addictive, when i was not playing I was thinking about playing it. Loved almost everything about it, from level design and atmosphere to boss battles.

Kinda disappointing, phase 1 and phase 3 real easy I'd say phase 3 is a checkbox, phase 2 is more difficult although after few trials you're good. But then again I have spent half the day on Isshin, the sword saint in Sekiro where one phase took me more than an hour to get to the other just to die in 5 seconds.

I wish this game wasn't locked to a specific platform, 900p in docked mode really doesn't do justice this game, 4K/120fps would have been much better.
It’s not. People are playing it at that on PC.

beauty of emulation. Buy the game. Play it how you want.

So I’ve been playing this a lot and just restarted the thermal energy reactor in Cataris. Once you get past the mid way point this game doesn’t let up with the challenge.

Really loving it so far but one thing I don’t love is how many mini bosses and even some main bosses are reused. In Samus Returns that was fine because the original game did that, but in this it’s less tolerable and kind of disappointing. Everything else is great though.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Finally started. Massive Super Metroid/Zero/Fusion fan.

It's....OK. My biggest issue with it so far is the controls and the EBIs. I'm really not a fan of this new trend of being stalked or having to run and hide from things. It's just not fun. It works a little better in RE but in Metroid, I want to explore. It reminds me a lot in controls and style to the 3DS Metroid 2 remake which I also lost interest in.

My big issue though is using an analog stick for controls. I just can't stand this with 2D games. With 2D platformers, I want precision and to use the d-pad. There's just not a need for analog controls in a game like this and it hampers the experience to me. For newer gamers it's probably 2nd nature but it feels like I'm being gimped.

I'll keep playing but right now I'm only mindly interested where usually, Metroidvania games hook me instantly and I can't stop.

daveonezero

Banned
Finally started. Massive Super Metroid/Zero/Fusion fan.

It's....OK. My biggest issue with it so far is the controls and the EBIs. I'm really not a fan of this new trend of being stalked or having to run and hide from things. It's just not fun. It works a little better in RE but in Metroid, I want to explore. It reminds me a lot in controls and style to the 3DS Metroid 2 remake which I also lost interest in.

My big issue though is using an analog stick for controls. I just can't stand this with 2D games. With 2D platformers, I want precision and to use the d-pad. There's just not a need for analog controls in a game like this and it hampers the experience to me. For newer gamers it's probably 2nd nature but it feels like I'm being gimped.

I'll keep playing but right now I'm only mindly interested where usually, Metroidvania games hook me instantly and I can't stop.
There is a learning curves with the controls. After a short while I realized why they went with the control stick. Using the free aim is basically necessary.

also for the EMMI after a few key upgrades the sections become much more interesting. Plus they are temporary.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This game is too hard at times. I am probably over half way done. I enjoy it a lot, but I think Ori 2 is the better game in the genre and I would recommend it to anybody who is enjoying this game.

J3nga

This game is too hard at times. I am probably over half way done. I enjoy it a lot, but I think Ori 2 is the better game in the genre and I would recommend it to anybody who is enjoying this game.
lol, I dropped Ori after 5 hours as I couldn't stand the amount of annoying platforming.

Top Bottom