• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got my physical copy (along with a mug lol) pre-ordered and should be delivered tomorrow.

Also a shiny new OLED Switch that should really make this shine.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I read one report of somebody finishing the game in roughly 10 hours. Any game that's charging full-Nintendo price and giving you 10 hours is criminal, hope it's not true but I'll be watching this versus playing it based on boss difficulty, I've had my self esteem crushed by this franchise enough to know better. I'm probably as excited to enjoy watching a play through as some of you are to play it.
What’s full price? Switch games are £30-£40 day one in the UK, an absolute bargain compared to other publisher prices.

CGiRanger

Banned
Where are people finding OLED's???

Then again I'm hearing from places that some orders are being delayed?

I guess I'm just riding on being lucky and somehow managing to find one in a local big box store tomorrow, or hopefully through online purchase-in-store-pickup 😢

Kuranghi

For west coast we seem to get games at 9pm digitally to account for the time difference (east coast is midnight of course).

Cheers, based on what I've read and what you and others here have said its either midnight or 5am release in the UK. Hopefully the former since sites said first party generally comes out at midnight in the UK, same times as US east coast.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Where are people finding OLED's???

Then again I'm hearing from places that some orders are being delayed?

I guess I'm just riding on being lucky and somehow managing to find one in a local big box store tomorrow, or hopefully through online purchase-in-store-pickup 😢
I ordered mine from Amazon. In July. They were live for about 3 minutes.

Mine actually shipped yesterday though, I'm pretty pumped.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Finally got my dispatch note from Nintendo UK. Special Edition arrives tomorrow!

Spent the whole day checking my email for a dispatch note, thought I was screwed then it appears after 8pm. Samus day is back on!

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Limited edition arriving tomorrow

Kid Dancing GIF

Hinedorf

Banned
I can 100% Super Metroid in about 90 minutes and it took me around 10 hours to beat the first time as a 9 year old. It’s the greatest game ever made

See this drives me nuts because I loved Super Metroid but was perpetually suckass at it. Precisely why I know I'll enjoy watching maniacs like you than myself failing miserably. Super Metroid had the coolest art back in the time when games used to come with their own instruction booklets as awful as I was nothing would stop me from getting to Ridley.

not-worthy-waynes-world.gif

Thaedolus

Gold Member
See this drives me nuts because I loved Super Metroid but was perpetually suckass at it. Precisely why I know I'll enjoy watching maniacs like you than myself failing miserably. Super Metroid had the coolest art back in the time when games used to come with their own instruction booklets as awful as I was nothing would stop me from getting to Ridley.

not-worthy-waynes-world.gif
I hope that didn’t come off too much like a brag, it’s been out 27 years and I’ve played dozens of times and I’m nowhere near as good as the WR holders. It’s just something I like to casually try to get good at. And my little one asks me to play it all the time now, and on the original hardware too lest I’m being lazy

Hinedorf

Banned
I hope that didn’t come off too much like a brag, it’s been out 27 years and I’ve played dozens of times and I’m nowhere near as good as the WR holders. It’s just something I like to casually try to get good at. And my little one asks me to play it all the time now, and on the original hardware too lest I’m being lazy
Not a brag at all, that's a MF'ing badge of honor in my book

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
9pLCAf6.jpg

switch 720p

qmLHBwf.jpg

pc 1440p

NGL nintendo should really release a switch pro FFS, I will love the oled for it's colors but man i am not playing that shit on my 65" it will look like hot garbo
At least we have the option to play the game on a better system.

I'm still playing Dread on the Switch, just because it's 60fps and imo looks very nice. But other games, like Xeno 2, Astral Chain or maybe even SMT V? God knows I'll be buying the games but probably play them emulated.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
No is here because you're all playing it right now aren't you? You cunts.

Frustrated Michael Scott GIF
Not me, at least until my copy arrives tomorrow. At least I still have Baal's butt to kick in Diablo II, so no issue on waiting a bit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
At least we have the option to play the game on a better system.

I'm still playing Dread on the Switch, just because it's 60fps and imo looks very nice. But other games, like Xeno 2, Astral Chain or maybe even SMT V? God knows I'll be buying the games but probably play them emulated.
eh the oled model will make all the games pop in handheld.
I mostly game on portable anyway.

but legit i am not using the dock for my switch oled.. basically ever

TintoConCasera

eh the oled model will make all the games pop in handheld.
I mostly game on portable anyway.

but legit i am not using the dock for my switch oled.. basically ever
Agree mate, but while the screen looks nice it's the games resolution and frame rates. Like I tried Xeno 2 once, and on handheld it looked like someone had smeared vaseline over the screen.

I like the Switch's games, some of them even a lot, but the hardware is outdated as fuck.

mcjmetroid

For me the jury's still out if it's the best 2D Metroid. Not too far into it. It makes a strong start

Its definitely the most atmospheric and the most difficult.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am downloading it now. Does Nintendo make the games available as soon as midnight EST? I can fit an hour or two if that’s the case before I go hang with my gf.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
w1ORYHa.jpg

A CRYPTIC TRANSMISSION​

Video footage from an unknown source indicates that the deadly X parasite—thought to have been eradicated—may still live.
The Galactic Federation dispatches a special unit consisting of seven E.M.M.I. robots to the remote planet ZDR, believed to be the source of the transmission. Soon after arriving on ZDR, the whole unit vanishes.
As the only one immune to the X parasite, intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran is sent in to find out what happened.
Shortly after landing, a mysterious foe traps Samus deep below the surface of this dangerous world.
Now, Samus must hunt or be hunted as she makes her way through a labyrinth of enemies to reach the surface.

samus-metroid.gif

Metroid Dread is an action-adventure game in which players control bounty hunter Samus Aran as she explores the planet ZDR. It retains the side-scrolling gameplay of previous Metroid games, alongside the free aim and melee attacks added in Samus Returns (2017). Samus can also slide and cling to blue surfaces.[2] Dread also adds stealth elements, with Samus avoiding the almost indestructible EMMI robots by hiding, reducing her noise, and using the Phantom Cloak, camouflage that reduces her noise but slows her movement. If an EMMI robot catches Samus, the player has a brief chance to perform a melee counter and escape; if they fail, Samus is killed.[2]

02115d0991e252a2879a1db75f427a12857fbd46.gifv

d32d212d159f0a4d3caaacfbc97de8fbeae3b521.gifv

9778caef31be69f618fc41348720f4438161a4c6.gifv

DGWcBsj.png

87: Top Critic Average
91%: Critics Recommend
Click here for overview trailer.

Now we are talking a REAL GAME!!!

Not like Returnal.

Marty-McFly

Banned
9pLCAf6.jpg

switch 720p

qmLHBwf.jpg

pc 1440p

NGL nintendo should really release a switch pro FFS, I will love the oled for it's colors but man i am not playing that shit on my 65" it will look like hot garbo
The best part is you wouldn't notice this one bit playing it undocked mode.

Even the Steamdeck version would look the same at 800 p. Actually it would look better on OLED.

It's sharp as hell and 60 fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom