• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Overview Trailer

GrayFoxPL

It still looks like a high-end mobile game to me. Some bits looks pretty good, but overall, it looks like cheap plastic. Will look awful on my new 77" TV.
Ew Reaction GIF

Marty-McFly

Banned
It still looks like a high-end mobile game to me. Some bits looks pretty good, but overall, it looks like cheap plastic. Will look awful on my new 77" TV.

Looks like a high end 3DS game, which is basically what it is. It's the team that did Samus Returns on 3DS.

I do think people will be a little more impressed with it in person though. Just my gut feeling.

Sure Jan.

ZXRaWbw.gif

V7psvZb.gif

ZSpPpIr.gif

D2KS2qi.gif

Last edited:

Zuzu

It looks really good. Some nice new abilities and a world that looks complex and enjoyable to explore. I like the addition of EMMI as a threat you have to be careful of. It wouldn't surprise me if it got quite a few game of the year awards in the media.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Those look like cutscenes to me. If the game consistently looks this good, I'll be very pleased. I'm happy enough with it already that I pre-ordered it, but the raw gameplay footage I saw at E3 does remind me of the team's 3DS roots, but improved and updated in HD.
Unless it's prerendered cinematic trickery, the whole game seems to be completely in engine. Pretty stellar.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Those look like cutscenes to me. If the game consistently looks this good, I'll be very pleased. I'm happy enough with it already that I pre-ordered it, but the raw gameplay footage I saw at E3 does remind me of the team's 3DS roots, but improved and updated in HD.
That goes to show how good the game looks because it's all in engine.

This is the 3DS version for comparison, with in engine cutscenes as well

screen-shot-2017-09-11-at-21-16-06.png

metroidinfilitrating-1504623871699.png

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Damn, the games going to be awesome, but I need to know one thing who is the commentator immating Eartha Kitt in the video, because that shit is overdramatic AF and distracts from an otherwise good looking game.
MTOnHNR.jpg

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So E.M.M.I. is just another Mr X/Nemesis type of thing but they can actually fuck you over harder.

Challenging. Still need to pre-order.

Vangellis

I love Metroid, especially Super Metroid. Something about this game looks off to me. I'm getting it still, but my initial feeling on the "look" of it is not positive. I think the general atmosphere and art direction looks like a cheap, generic indie game, which really surprises me.

jaysius

Banned
The E.M.M.I mechanic shows why these hacks should never have been given a mainline Metroid game, it's lazy padding bullshit, putting shitty stealth into a 2D game that was never meant to have it. The 3DS Metroid had a similar chase sequence, sometimes after fighting annoying bosses, so if you failed the chase you'd have REFIGHT the BOSS, this was pure bullshit.

Also an overreliance on the COUNTER move in the 3DS game really changed what Metroid is supposed to be, again lazy GOTCHA bullshit timing mechanics that aren't Metroid. Many enemies can ONLY be killed if you get their shitty timing windows perfect, which again, IS NOT METROID.

The art style is very basic, lots of flat plates, platforms are all black facing the camera instead of showing some sort of design that the series is known for. Anyone wondering where the "this looks like a mobile game" comments are coming from, this is it. Some backgrounds have details, but their basic, yea yea "that's the art style" well you know what, it's fucking lazy art style. Backgrounds like the ocean would have more details in the past to make the empty space feel more lively.

This is a devolution of the IP in almost every way.

AMIBO cheat codes... lol... that shit never gets old, Nintendo needs to DROP this fucking mandate.

I hope this is the last time these chumps get their hands on a major IP and Nintendo is able to get a party that understands the Metroid art style and elements that made Metroid amazing over all the games, instead of adding shitty mechanics that don't work/don't fit.

Pay CLOSE attention to the NEGATIVES in the reviews and see how they're glossed over to give this beloved IP a massive padded score. If this gets honest review scores I'd be shocked. The 3DS game had heavily padded reviews.

There are many reasons this ain't it.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
The art style is very basic, lots of flat plates, platforms are all black facing the camera instead of showing some sort of design that the series is known for. Anyone wondering where the "this looks like a mobile game" comments are coming from, this is it. Some backgrounds have details, but their basic, yea yea "that's the art style" well you know what, it's fucking lazy art style. Backgrounds like the ocean would have more details in the past to make the empty space feel more lively.

I hope this is the last time these chumps get their hands on a major IP and Nintendo is able to get a party that understands the Metroid art style and elements that made Metroid amazing over all the games, instead of adding shitty mechanics that don't work/don't fit.
Nintendo EPD is co-developing this game. Samus Returns was fantastic but this blows it away by every conceivable measure.

I remember when Metroid Prime came out people on forums were trying to convince me it was ugly. It's crazy how people to try and downplay Nintendo games that appeal to the core gaming crowd and get so triggered. Like, you don't here people say shit about a $60 2D NSMBU port, but when Nintendo build what looks like a masterpiece from the ground up all of a sudden "it looks like an indie game".

"It's artstyle can never live up to the originals!"

Like, seriously? You couldn't be more obvious.

d3goco6d9ra41.jpg

V0nYReo.gif

In comparison.

This is a $60 2D Zelda Switch game which virtually nobody complained about.

zelda-links-awakening-nintendo-switch-remake.jpg

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Looks like a high end 3DS game, which is basically what it is. It's the team that did Samus Returns on 3DS.

I do think people will be a little more impressed with it in person though. Just my gut feeling.
5k82nZy.png

a94HtRE.png

1trYGNX.png

PKlLRv2.png
N8d8DAD.png

L0ybY4t.png

Portugeezer

Nintendo EPD is co-producing this game. Samus Returns was fantastic but this blows it away by every conceivable measure.

I remember when Metroid Prime came out people on forums were trying to convince me it was ugly. It's crazy how people to try and downplay Nintendo games that appeal to the core gaming crowd and get so triggered. Like, you don't here people say shit about a $60 2D NSMBU port, but when Nintendo build what looks like a masterpiece from the ground up all of a sudden "it looks like an indie game".

"It's artstyle can never live up to the originals!"

Like, seriously? You couldn't be more obvious.

d3goco6d9ra41.jpg

V0nYReo.gif

In comparison.

This is a $60 2D Zelda Switch game which virtually nobody complained about.

the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds-screenshot-7-720x720.jpg
Wrong Zelda game, that is a 3DS game.

Buggy Loop

In this video it's looking much improved.

Especially compared to E3 footage.

Never judge game before final polish these days.

I remember how Ratchet and Clank looked ok on initial reveal but close to release it improved so much.

Can say the same for SMT 5, it keeps looking better, stable and clean with each videos. It used to look quite rough. Metroid Dread’s E3 trailer seem to have been mishandled by the edit team (outsourcing often?). I kind of looked out of sync even with audio/sfx.

jaysius

Banned
Can say the same for SMT 5, it keeps looking better, stable and clean with each videos. It used to look quite rough. Metroid Dread’s E3 trailer seem to have been mishandled by the edit team (outsourcing often?). I kind of looked out of sync even with audio/sfx.
Even if you're going rose tinted glasses on this entire thing, the editing in this trailer don't feel 100% on, there's still something about it that's just off with the cuts, the voice isn't great either.

Buggy Loop

Even if you're going rose tinted glasses on this entire thing, the editing in this trailer don't feel 100% on, there's still something about it that's just off with the cuts, the voice isn't great either.

It's not a Kojima edited trailer for sure.

Nintendo always kind of neglects that part. Even BOTW had so-so edited trailers, except maybe one exceptional (but still had that weird music cut-off). Good thing at least is that the games themselves are ace most often. They really need to either change the outsourcing firm for the trailers or step it up.

edit : and speaking of which, Nintendo europe did not put the voice in, it's again some quirky thing from NoA for god knows why.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Looks sweet, more excited every time they show it and I genuinely loved that silly over-enunciating voice over haha.

Depends on which OLED you bought and how good the upscaling from 1080p is, which brand/model did you get?

Narasumas

That’s usually how Nintendo games play out. They usually play/look much better than they do in their pressers.

Ulysses 31

edit : and speaking of which, Nintendo europe did not put the voice in, it's again some quirky thing from NoA for god knows why.
Americans editors don't like silent moments in media, seen it often that speech/music was added in the dubs for TV broadcasts of anime/cartoons during silent panning/lingering shots.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It's not a Kojima edited trailer for sure.

Nintendo always kind of neglects that part. Even BOTW had so-so edited trailers, except maybe one exceptional (but still had that weird music cut-off). Good thing at least is that the games themselves are ace most often. They really need to either change the outsourcing firm for the trailers or step it up.

This is better, still not great, but it lets the music speak for itself, the music is fucking great, it's always been amazing in the series, and somehow the crappy cutting isn't jarring at all, I guess it's the VO that's awful. I guess they're not confident NOA region fans can read and get the message properly or something like that. It's probably something about "empowering women" or something like that.

But that presentation is far better than the NOA one.

Quick thought about the NOA one, if that ever became the voice of Samus we'd have to hope for a mute button.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
The E.M.M.I mechanic shows why these hacks should never have been given a mainline Metroid game, it's lazy padding bullshit, putting shitty stealth into a 2D game that was never meant to have it. The 3DS Metroid had a similar chase sequence, sometimes after fighting annoying bosses, so if you failed the chase you'd have REFIGHT the BOSS, this was pure bullshit.

Also an overreliance on the COUNTER move in the 3DS game really changed what Metroid is supposed to be, again lazy GOTCHA bullshit timing mechanics that aren't Metroid. Many enemies can ONLY be killed if you get their shitty timing windows perfect, which again, IS NOT METROID.

AMIBO cheat codes... lol... that shit never gets old, Nintendo needs to DROP this fucking mandate.

Pay CLOSE attention to the NEGATIVES in the reviews and see how they're glossed over to give this beloved IP a massive padded score. If this gets honest review scores I'd be shocked. The 3DS game had heavily padded reviews.

What? I spent most of the time after second half just running and shooting and rarely parried unless for one specific boss that required it, bosses don't REQUIRE you to parry, that's an option given, due to the shitty wait time between signal and attack on bosses (something I critique about the game) I omitted it and just defeted them using missiles and super missiles, so it's nowhere near "over realiance"... maybe at the beginning of the game when your shots don't make enough damage...

And just to clarify, running and shooting is not "how it's supposed to be played", it's just that some players WANT to play metroid games... the game is not supposed to be a fast paced action shooter of some kind so I don't get why the parry "ruined" it.

The two things I'll criticize about the game is, again, the time between attack intention and actual attack from bosses (pure shit, but that can be ignored totally as I did just not parrying them) and the fucking robot boss, which was totally shit, an absurd shit no matter what that gave literally no signs of how to kill it and went as far as being actually counter intuitive if you tried something similar to what you actually had to do to kill him... When I got tired of it and went to Youtube to see how I was supposed to kill him in the last phase... A lot of people commenting they were there for the same exact reason lol.

But in the end it was one boss, one single boss they added, I hope Mercury Steam don't mess Dread with a boss like that cause it was the only part of the game I'd actually say is complete shit, but for better or for worse, Nintendo approved it so not their complete fault.

Also, the E3 trailer made the game look flat and... just bad graphically, everything else after that trailer makes the game look better and better.

The Skull

Pray tell. Obviously knowing how the complete game is, what will an honest review entail.

carlosrox

Banned
Fuck me.

Do I wanna watch this or not?

Does this show even more new abilities and stuff we didn't know about?

Spoilery for someone who wants at least some semblance of going in fresh?

I've seen every trailer up til this point but a 5 min overview sounds pretty significant...

V4skunk

Banned
Fuck me.

Do I wanna watch this or not?

Does this show even more new abilities and stuff we didn't know about?

Spoilery for someone who wants at least some semblance of going in fresh?

I've seen every trailer up til this point but a 5 min overview sounds pretty significant...
It's only a game. A 5 min trailer is nothing.

Top Bottom