• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Overview Trailer

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'd like to ever so sweetly ask that all the Gloomy Gus Negative Nancy Debbie Downer Contrary Conroy Opposing Oscar Dissenting Dennis Cynical Cindy Pessimistic Paul Resentful Roger Denying David Hateful Harry Bitching Brandons in here to politely stop trying in vain to tear down the love and excitement many of us here and millions of people around the world have for this game...a game so many of us have been eagerly waiting for since 2002.

If you are a Metroid fan and hate the way Metroid Dread looks, that's okay and I'm very sorry...but hopefully you can still enjoy the gameplay. If you hate Metroid games for some reason and assume you will hate this one too, that's fine. If you are bitter because you were expecting 120 frames per second 2D animation or ultra detailed high-end graphics comparable to the abilities of Unreal Engine 5....this is Nintendo Switch. Perhaps the day will come where Nintendo is a graphics leader in the industry again, but that is just not the case currently.

- - - -

Finding enjoyment in tearing down the joy of others is not a healthy pasttime, nor will it win you any worthwhile friends. 👩‍🏫🧠

the-more-you-know.gif
Star Trek Applause GIF

Rran

Is socking Bald Bull in the gut during his bull charge "one step away from QTE"?

I'm very excited for Dread, as Metroid is a contender for one of the best gaming series ever. I've been replaying Samus Returns lately to get back in the MercurySteam mindset. They did a great job with Samus's controls and particularly the combat, as the boss battles are fast, dynamic and challenging (and there are a ton of them).

M:SR is great overall but it's not quite in my upper tier of Metroid, and right now, my number one worry with Dread is based on my number one complaint with M:SR. Remember that part of Zero Mission where you sneak around Chozodia and there're all these intricate ducts and holes to crawl through? And then later in the game after the stealth part, it all feels kind of clunky to get around?

That's kind of how big chunks of Samus Returns feels to me. Exploring the world is a little lacking thanks to a combination of hearty foes, a lack of visual variety in the environments (compared to past games), and a lack of really distinctive rooms to give you a sense of place (I think Super Metroid did this the best in the series). I'm hoping the area design is a bit more "open," for lack of a better word, although given the emphasis on stealth and tricking the EMMI, I'm not sure how feasible that is.

That hangup aside, I'm still getting this day one for sure. It's just hard to compete with 90s-era R&D1.

Buggy Loop

I’m so fucking hyped to play a 2D Metroid, and especially one that has been so long awaited.

I played all Metroidvanias, all modern ones, and while I had legit fun with a ton of them, some I even cherish and awaiting the sequel (Hollow Knight comes to mind), none of them are really « Metroid » as in the loneliness on the planet, the sci-fi Alien vibes, or even remotely have comes close to the traversal upgrade path that Metroid have. They’re good games, but Metroid they ain’t.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey, at least you guys will have a mug. Cheap ass Amazon doesn't give any gifts.

By the way, I think I haven't been this hyped for a Metroid game since Prime. The initial reveal at E3 didn't do much for me, but the later trailers sure have done.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hey, at least you guys will have a mug. Cheap ass Amazon doesn't give any gifts.

By the way, I think I haven't been this hyped for a Metroid game since Prime. The initial reveal at E3 didn't do much for me, but the later trailers sure have done.
I'll probably just leave it at Best Buy, since it's already pre-ordered.

I get these sweet "tech decals." Way, wayyyyyy cooler than mere stickers.

pol-CO-82330-der-0a068112-e9a6-4770-a59b-fc6b0db76b85.jpg;maxHeight=188;maxWidth=276

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh I'm just happy I'll have the game in my hands Day 0. Preorder bonuses these days do fuck all for me. If they want to get me to preorder they need to get me a Samus Helmet or something. Or a model kit of Samus's Gunship.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'd like to ever so sweetly ask that all the Gloomy Gus Negative Nancy Debbie Downer Contrary Conroy Opposing Oscar Dissenting Dennis Cynical Cindy Pessimistic Paul Resentful Roger Denying David Hateful Harry Bitching Brandons in here to politely stop trying in vain to tear down the love and excitement many of us here and millions of people around the world have for this game...a game so many of us have been eagerly waiting for since 2002.

If you are a Metroid fan and hate the way Metroid Dread looks, that's okay and I'm very sorry...but hopefully you can still enjoy the gameplay. If you hate Metroid games for some reason and assume you will hate this one too, that's fine. If you are bitter because you were expecting 120 frames per second 2D animation or ultra detailed high-end graphics comparable to the abilities of Unreal Engine 5....this is Nintendo Switch. Perhaps the day will come where Nintendo is a graphics leader in the industry again, but that is just not the case currently.

- - - -

Finding enjoyment in tearing down the joy of others is not a healthy pasttime, nor will it win you any worthwhile friends. 👩‍🏫🧠

the-more-you-know.gif

Honestly, just report them. They are console warriors and trolls. Mod team will more than likely deal with them.

zweifuss

I am super excited for this game! It looks so smooth. The cool thing is that it came out of nowhere and we had no idea it was in development. What a time to be alive! And the whole EMI thing is great, a nice evolution of the SA-X 'chasing' you in Fusion.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As critical as I can be of Nintendo. There is nothing to be critical of for this game.

Ffs it's a brand new Nintendo game these need to be treasured
Is it really? It's developed by MercurySteam. Do we know how much Nintendo has been involved on this?

Buggy Loop

Is it really? It's developed by MercurySteam. Do we know how much Nintendo has been involved on this?

I mean, this game has a long history

With IGN staff allegedly seeing the game in 2005, meaning in development even further back.

I doubt they threw everything down the bin, MercurySteam is working with the foundation that's been in development at R&D1 for a fucking long time.

TintoConCasera

With IGN staff allegedly seeing the game in 2005, meaning in development even further back.

I doubt they threw everything down the bin, MercurySteam is working with the foundation that's been in development at R&D1 for a fucking long time.
Yeah you are right, I guess it's kinda hard to think they could have started from scratch with this one.

Sigh, more hype into my veins I guess. :lollipop_content:

CGiRanger

Banned

Yeah you are right, I guess it's kinda hard to think they could have started from scratch with this one.

Sigh, more hype into my veins I guess. :lollipop_content:
I always found this a very brief enjoyable summation from the series director himself on the Dread History

Kuranghi

I've seen Samus shinesparking during the trailers, definitely upwards and possibly horizontally too, but not diagonally I don't think. The Metroid Dread Report 6 says the following:

"This ability can only be used once Samus has reached her Speed Booster state. She can send herself soaring on a straight trajectory in the direction of her choosing. When soaring, she can blast through certain obstacles and deal great damage to enemies."

So I'm guessing that could mean diagonals as well, but I wonder if there will be ball sparking in it on top of that, that item where you need to spark a number times in a row to get a Super Missile upgrade in SM was a real test of my timing skills and was ace when I finally did it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
You’ve never been a part of the day one/week one zeitgeist? Damn. That’s like one of the best parts about the hobby, son.
I could have been a part of the Paper Mario: The Origami King celebration during first week last year but I held myself to getting minimum 700 moons in Super Mario Odyssey before I would allow myself to purchase. My gaming habits are kind of unorthodox sometimes

Looking forward to trying to 100% the game; all power ups and abilities and maybe data collected if that will be a part of the game

carlosrox

Banned
I think the music will be like 95% great but I'm worried about a few stinkers unfortunately. That would bring me down a bit.

Samus Returns' soundtrack was incredible. All that beeping shit I fucking instantly loved and I wanted more.

The Dread reveal came by and they beep fucked me good right off the bat. The second I heard that shit I was like GOD YES.

Give me all the beeping music please.

Oh and please just regular chanting won't work, I need to hear the specific chanting style from Super/Prime. Pleeeeeeeease.

Probably my favorite track in the whole series.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
5 Days

I hope there is scientific data and analysis in Metroid Dread like there was in Metroid Prime

Not so sure there will be, but it would be nice. They did have more writing in Fusion, so I hope its a nice balance between That and Samus Returns.

I just hope we never see those slow fucking robots like in Zero Mission again.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

5 Days

I hope there is scientific data and analysis in Metroid Dread like there was in Metroid Prime

I do love scanning in MP but I'm not sure it fits the pacing here, I'd still like it personally but I'm guessing it will be more some select things they give you extra info on.

RScrewed

Why is it "one step away from being a QTE"? That's a completely arbitrary criticism that could be applied to every parry mechanic ever conceived. Parry in Dread is also proactive so the player can use it to initiate an encounter instead of waiting for the enemy to attack first which from what I understood was the problem most people had with the mechanic in Returns. And I don't see why being able to avoid the enemies (made even easier in Dread thanks to the addition of the new slide move) is supposed to be a negative in a Metroid game, especially as the parry introduces a risk/reward dimension to the gameplay by giving you resources if you kill an enemy with it. I mean "experienced players don't have to be locked in combat and can run around enemies to go faster" isn't the own you think it is when talking about a game built for speedrunning like Metroid.

Not trying to "own" anyone or anything here. There's a fine line between making a parry mechanic boring or interesting. Not all parry mechanics are boring, but Samus Returns' was.

It's like a QTE because it is the exact same encounter every single time - the enemy will stop in its tracks, telegraph it is about to attack, and attack at the very same cadence every single time. That is every single encounter without variation, so it turns into an effective QTE.

I would have liked to see enemies take different amounts of times before attacking, so you as the player can react to their attack in real time, and now you have a game where you are dynamically reacting to the game that you are playing.

I have to yet to see how Dread handles this though, I'm hoping it is better.

Kuranghi

Not trying to "own" anyone or anything here. There's a fine line between making a parry mechanic boring or interesting. Not all parry mechanics are boring, but Samus Returns' was.

It's like a QTE because it is the exact same encounter every single time - the enemy will stop in its tracks, telegraph it is about to attack, and attack at the very same cadence every single time. That is every single encounter without variation, so it turns into an effective QTE.

I would have liked to see enemies take different amounts of times before attacking, so you as the player can react to their attack in real time, and now you have a game where you are dynamically reacting to the game that you are playing.

I have to yet to see how Dread handles this though, I'm hoping it is better.

Large/medium enemies tend to take the same time to attack most of the time because their movement is simpler (stuck to ground, moving left and right at two different speeds depending if agro'd) so they are generally in the right position and do it at roughly the same time every time you approach but there is variation sometimes.

The time when its much more varied tends to be the smaller enemies, like the flying ones, sometimes they will have a direct line of sight on you from quite far off and suddenly fly at you from half on, half off the screen, but other times they will be close and maneuver a bit before attacking which can mean you wait two to three seconds, other times its one second and when ideal positioning it happens very quickly.

You really don't need to use the parry that much if you don't want to and even though its the fastest way to kill small enemies at the start, once you have the flash shift as you can dodge backwards and shoot them instead if you prefer that (it looks and feels awesome imo), or better yet just missile them as they charge in to attack you as long as your weapons are powered up enough for that specific enemy.

Top Bottom