• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Overview Trailer

eNT1TY

In comparison.

This is a $60 2D Zelda Switch game which virtually nobody complained about.

zelda-links-awakening-nintendo-switch-remake.jpg
This screen shot is fire and should never be used as an example of a game looking underwhelming or as a sign of complacency for graphical expectations. This Zelda game is among the best looking switch games and well above Dread which looks serviceable at worst and decent at best.

Kuranghi

Ah yes, that game that runs at 30 fps on a fucking PS5.

Haha yeah the graphical complexity makes it seem like 60fps would be achieveable. I'd add that the devs are apparently near-blind as well and ruined every frame the engine generates by adding a fullscreen chromatic aberration effect. Its mental, like shes got a concussion or something.

Kuranghi

Czech Republic Advertisement. 2 actually.

Thanks for these pal, cool to get more snippets of the game. How did you find them? Are you from that region and subscribed to the channel?

I wanted to see if there were more clips from other regions so went looking for communities but the Metroid subreddit and even the MetroidDread one doesn't have this. I guess I could go through every regional version of the Ninty channel lol.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Thanks for these pal, cool to get more snippets of the game. How did you find them? Are you from that region and subscribed to the channel?

I wanted to see if there were more clips from other regions so went looking for communities but the Metroid subreddit and even the MetroidDread one doesn't have this. I guess I could go through every regional version of the Ninty channel lol.
Gamexplain had a vid doing their analysis of one of the videos and I visited the Czech Nintendo channel and found the 2 videos.

Edit: Nintendo uploaded an NA advertisement. Woohoo.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Gameplay was already fantastic with the Treehouse footage in June. Not really concerned. Looks great. Plays great. Will be great.

There are many games out there that look great and end up playing like poop. Doesn't seem to be the issue here.

I'll be honest I didnt gel with Samus Returns, I played for 45 mins and I just wasn't sucked in like I usually am with Metroids (Super actually took the longest to hook me, I played Zero Mission, AM2R then Super [and after Fusion]) and I put it down, but I sense a Switch re-release in the future so I'll give it another go then.

Having said that I think all my complaints about SR are shown to be fixed in the treehouse footage of Dread as you say. The counter system looks way more fluid in this one and you dont need to stop to do it, as far as I can see. That seems like a brilliant addition to the Metroid power journey, where you start out fighting enemies from a distance or even running from them to avoid potential health loss from your very small starting pool of health, then you get the tools to kill them more easily, then without hardly any challenge, then you can later obliterate them easily and finally you get abilities to just bypass them or blast through them at high speed like (a) super(wo)man.

This adds another layer where you can take them out quickly right near the start (I presume you get the counter early) but its a timing-based skill check and not as easy as stopping and picking them off from a distance so you have a choice. Even if you aren't the best at timing stuff you can still learn my muscle memory as you go.

So it rewards high-skill players straight away but doesn't leave casual players in the dust either, they can learn over time. I think its great if it works like how it appears in the playthroughs seen so far.

Kuranghi

The Dread shitposting is getting more and more desperate.

Fuck's wrong with you people?

I think its inversely proportional to how excited we get about it, so around the time of release we should see people physically turning up outside our homes to berate us about how bad it looks and how stupid we are for being hyped:

Person standing outside your house playing classic Metroid music on a boombox: "...Issue number TWO: The graphics SUCK and look like a 3DS GAME *shuffles papers they're holding* Issue number *long pause* THREE: Not. Enough. Colours." *drops boombox*

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm expecting that. You don't think they can deliver?

And how is this in any way related to your "looks" comment?

I emailed Mercury Steam to ask if they can deliver, but they said "No, we do lamb, chicken and fish".

Cryptic answer I know, but we'll find out in October anyway if they can do liver. Hopefully its Alien liver, seared by plasma.

Marty-McFly

Banned
The Dread shitposting is getting more and more desperate.

Fuck's wrong with you people?
This is a thing that happens when Nintendo gets a game that is similar to the type of game you might see on other platforms if they got a really, really good game.

I remember when I frequented forums decades ago, there was a lot of nerd raging that Metroid Prime was 1) Ugly and 2) a shit game because it had backtracking.

In retrospect how did these comments age? It's obvious that it was bitterness and resentment.

Bayonetta 2's exclusivity on Wii U received a similar type of ire.

Such examples have happened many times throughout internet history. You just have to laugh and know that haters exist everywhere.

ParaSeoul

This is a thing that happens when Nintendo gets a game that is similar to the type of game you might see on other platforms if they got a really, really good game.

I remember when I frequented forums decades ago, there was a lot of nerd raging that Metroid Prime was 1) Ugly and 2) a shit game because it had backtracking.

In retrospect how did these comments age? It's obvious that it was bitterness and resentment.

Bayonetta 2's exclusivity on Wii U received a similar type of ire.

Such examples have happened many times throughout internet history. You just have to laugh and know that haters exist everywhere.
Bayonetta 2 is mechanically inferior to 1 and runs like shit

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
There are.. No Metroid in this Metroid game?
Early to say, but..

It's been a while since I played Fusion, but IIRC Samus herself is a Metroid now, or she has Metroid cells, something along those lines.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Early to say, but..

It's been a while since I played Fusion, but IIRC Samus herself is a Metroid now, or she has Metroid cells, something along those lines.
Yeah maybe it would get redundant if she had to fight Metroid in every iteration but still, it would feels weird to play that hasn't the enemy the game is called lol.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah maybe it would get redundant if she had to fight Metroid in every iteration but still, it would feels weird to play that hasn't the enemy the game is called lol.
Did you play Fusion?
The Metroids showed up near the end. The story was mostly about the X

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's very simple really. It's on Nintendo Switch and not on anything else. Therefore bad. Whatevs. While everyone else decides to be green behind the gills I among many others will be enjoying a new chapter in the Metroid series.

Barakov

Gold Member
Damn, the games going to be awesome, but I need to know one thing who is the commentator immating Eartha Kitt in the video, because that shit is overdramatic AF and distracts from an otherwise good looking game.
MTOnHNR.jpg
It's even worse when she starts talking about the special edition and then says 'AMIIBO'. Definitely made me giggle.

Every new trailer for Metroid Dread gets me more excited to play it. Genuinely haven't been this excited about an upcoming game in a while.

I've not played Samus Returns (even though I owned a 3DS XL, I decided to skip it) so I'm really going to go into Dread as a sequel to Fusion which is fitting because it really is the long-awaited sequel to Metroid 4.

Hopefully this and Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp perform pretty well because it could mean more revivals in the future.

Top Bottom