• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Overview Trailer

Cutty Flam

Banned
Who's gonna create the Metroid Dread |OT|

Only asking because there was no Skyward Sword |OT|

Someone said it was kinda sad that SS didn't have an |OT| but personally I found that kind of amusing if not completely hilarious whenever it crossed my mind lol

Andyliini

Who's gonna create the Metroid Dread |OT|

Only asking because there was no Skyward Sword |OT|

Someone said it was kinda sad that SS didn't have an |OT| but personally I found that kind of amusing if not completely hilarious whenever it crossed my mind lol
I have a title for the OT, but I'm not sure yet if I can do it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I have a title for the OT, but I'm not sure yet if I can do it.
No worries, was only curious because I've seen some pretty hardcore Metroid fans out there on the web

Figured someone was already deep in the works with one even as early as now. I'm not the one for Metroid Dread's |OT| tbh, I wouldn't be able to do it any justice

The only thing I find even remotely objectionable about Dread's artstyle is the use of those weird glow shaders for highlights. They are way too intense, and look extremely out of place on large monsters, and even on Samus herself. A more subtle, uniform change in lightness across the whole mesh would have been preferable I think, maybe combined with a more intense glow tracing the visible outline of the monster/character/object.

tommib

“For returning fans like myself who still play through Super Metroid once a year, the most heartening thing after two hours with Metroid Dread is how it retains and restores so much of the magic of the series. It's a respectful retread, but also one that's bold enough to throw in smart new ideas of its own, adding an extra layer of tension, horror and atmosphere that feels simply electric. Right now it looks like this has every chance of living up to Metroid's legacy, which would really be no mean feat at all.”

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
It’s buoyed by the Switch OLED’s improved screen, which goes a long way toward bringing Metroid Dread’s otherwise spare environments to life. Due to launch the same day as the Switch OLED, Metroid Dread is being treated as a showcase game for Nintendo’s new console. And honestly? It looks great. The Switch OLED’s more vibrant colors really help it to pop out of the screen.
Its map is once again massive, filled with a multitude of alien-infested nooks and crannies to explore. Adding to its sense of scope is the way that Samus takes up much less screen real estate this time around, making the caverns and hallways feel vast by comparison. I got turned around more than once in my hands-on with Metroid Dread, slightly flustered by the lack of a Morph Ball (Samus, as always, is bereft of her powers to start the game). Notably, the map seems more complex than before, making it much harder to “simply go to the spot you haven’t explored yet.” Traversal definitely requires some thought in this game, which I appreciate.

Well, damnit, as if I didn't need the OLED enough.... have to really pray to find one on launch day I guess since Pre-Orders never reopened :(

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
IGN Preview.

While Metroid Dread doesn’t exactly sport AAA production values
As you might expect, it’s a clear step up from the 3DS visually, its color palette allowing it to shine despite its otherwise simple presentation.
When IGN starts dropping truth bombs in a preview there's a red flag for you.

If we didn't have Hollow Knight and the Ori games, that show us an incredible Metroid style game with beautiful graphics and amazing art style this would be OK, but that's not the gaming world we live in. People SHOULD EXPECT AAA PRODCUTION VALUES from a FULL RETAIL PRICED Nintendo game. The aforementioned games weren't even FULL RETAIL PRICED and had incredible style.

It’s buoyed by the Switch OLED’s improved screen, which goes a long way toward bringing Metroid Dread’s otherwise spare environments to life.

Everything myself and others were saying about the shitty art style is all true.

Again IGN is the most generous especially towards Nintendo, when even they feel the need to be honest about a games lack of visual quality, it's really something awful.

I got turned around more than once in my hands-on with Metroid Dread, slightly flustered by the lack of a Morph Ball (Samus, as always, is bereft of her powers to start the game). Notably, the map seems more complex than before, making it much harder to “simply go to the spot you haven’t explored yet.”

YIKES! Such dumb design choices that don't make any sense.

I’m also hopeful that Metroid Dread won’t suffer from quite the same bloat as Samus Returns, which somewhat overstayed its welcome in dramatically expanding its Metroid count and the scope of the map.

They want it to be a short game...

2:40 mark
"Successfully timing out counter hits is a BIG PART OF SURVIVING ENCOUNTERS with larger foes"

Talks about how you NEED to use the fucking awful parry melee move in the game, which was the worst part of the 3DS game, because the timing window sucked. They omitted this line from their text preview. Another red flag.

Feeding into this approach are the E.M.M.I. rooms dot the map, serving as bottlenecks where Samus is hunted by droids that desire only to harvest her DNA. These rooms are actually my least favorite part of Metroid Dread
Shoehorned stealth, everything here reads like a developer that didn't deserve to touch such an important part of the Metroid series.

This is all reading like a 7/10, the fact that IGN is being honest in a preview should open a few eyes.

The reason I've been so critical about this title is that it fully pisses me off. I bought a Switch FOR METROID PRIME 4, I want a new Metroid experience that's GOOD. Nintendo has seemingly delivered a less than stellar Metroid game from some D-tier studio. I want to play Nintendo games, I really do, but fuck Nintendo is making it so god damned hard for me to justify the $80 CND on so many of their titles. My Switch is gathering dust, if it wasn't for my g/fs love of Pokemon and Animal Crossing the thing would be covered in serious dust, or sitting in a carrying case completely forgotten.

When you search "Metroid Dread preview" on google, you can see that Nintendo has google buried the previews by having their Youtube videos of the snippets pushing real previews off the first page. If you're not aware, companies can and do pay for this google manipulation.

OT Topic:

Metroid Dread |OT| Simply dreadful

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sure Jan GIF

tommib

IGN Preview.

If we didn't have Hollow Knight and the Ori games, that show us an incredible Metroid style game with beautiful graphics and amazing art style this would be OK, but that's not the gaming world we live in. People SHOULD EXPECT AAA PRODCUTION VALUES from a FULL RETAIL PRICED Nintendo game. The aforementioned games weren't even FULL RETAIL PRICED and had incredible style.

Everything myself and others were saying about the shitty art style is all true.

Again IGN is the most generous especially towards Nintendo, when even they feel the need to be honest about a games lack of visual quality, it's really something awful.

Talks about how you NEED to use the fucking awful parry melee move in the game, which was the worst part of the 3DS game, because the timing window sucked. They omitted this line from their text preview. Another red flag.

Shoehorned stealth, everything here reads like a developer that didn't deserve to touch such an important part of the Metroid series.

This is all reading like a 7/10, the fact that IGN is being honest in a preview should open a few eyes.

The reason I've been so critical about this title is that it fully pisses me off. I bought a Switch FOR METROID PRIME 4, I want a new Metroid experience that's GOOD. Nintendo has seemingly delivered a less than stellar Metroid game from some D-tier studio. I want to play Nintendo games, I really do, but fuck Nintendo is making it so god damned hard for me to justify the $80 CND on so many of their titles. My Switch is gathering dust, if it wasn't for my g/fs love of Pokemon and Animal Crossing the thing would be covered in serious dust, or sitting in a carrying case completely forgotten.

When you search "Metroid Dread preview" on google, you can see that Nintendo has google buried the previews by having their Youtube videos of the snippets pushing real previews off the first page. If you're not aware, companies can and do pay for this google manipulation.

OT Topic:

Metacritic 90 incoming. You’ll eat those words.

SantaC

IGN Preview.

OT Topic:

From the same developer that killed castlevania

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
IGN Preview.

OT Topic:

tell where Metroid Dread hurt you

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
A padded Nintendo 90 won't fix the awful art style that indie Metroid games have surpassed years ago.

Eating words? Sounds like a good diet though.
first you ramble about how this look like a uprezed 3DS game. you got proven wrong.
now it's the art style that is the problem, something incredibly subjective to begin with.
and finally I should listen to fucking IGN out of all odds, or better said your cherry picked quotes from IGN.

tommib

first you ramble about how this look like a uprezed 3DS game. you got proven wrong.
now it's the art style that is the problem, something incredibly subjective to begin with.
and finally I should listen to fucking IGN out of all odds, or better said your cherry picked quotes from IGN.
It’s cherry picked because the actual review counteracts all the “issues”. He omits the sentences that follow. I would love to know what drives someone to be so negative towards an unreleased game to the point they reassemble a preview to their bias.

Cutty Flam

Banned
IGN Preview.

OT Topic:

Man you cry a lot. Why not just give the game a chance and stop deluding yourself. What a ridiculous post lmao. Imagine reading an IGN review…

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
He omits the sentences that follow.
exactly.

just take the first one for example:

While Metroid Dread doesn’t exactly sport AAA production values, its first few scenes manage to be beautiful in their own way, sparking that familiar feeling of tense curiosity endemic to the series.

jaysius

Banned
exactly.

just take the first one for example:
While Metroid Dread doesn’t exactly sport AAA production values, its first few scenes manage to be beautiful in their own way, sparking that familiar feeling of tense curiosity endemic to the series.

The non-bolded part is the actual previewers view, the other part is bullshit that they have to say to keep nintendo happy, you won't get previews in the future if you go too strong.

If you don't understand industry spin by now then...

I can't believe you don't see the issue in paying full price from a company that typically has AAA quality and this product lacks that.

This game isn't within Nintendo's typical product quality. I don't know what the hell is happening at Nintendo, but they need to change.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The non-bolded part is the actual previewers view, the other part is bullshit that they have to say to keep nintendo happy, you won't get previews in the future if you go too strong.

If you don't understand industry spin by now then...

I can't believe you don't see the issue in paying full price from a company that typically has AAA quality and this product lacks that.

This game isn't within Nintendo's typical product quality. I don't know what the hell is happening at Nintendo, but they need to change.
Nintendo bad, Nintendo bad, IGN writes their true criticism in riddles in order to make bad Nintendo happy, the game is no "true" AAA experience so it will be bad bla bla bla
we get it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
IGN Preview.

OT Topic:

The only thing dreadful here is your attitude and writing in this thread.

RScrewed

I'm really excited to play it, replaying Zero Mission at 240p on a CRT in prep.

For everyone saying it looks bad though, I actually totally agree - if you compare it to any current gen game it looks very underwhealming. There is so just so much insane detail in Rift Apart and CyberPunk (and any other modern title really) where Dread kinda just has flashiness with modern lighting but the polygonal detail and texture fidelity looks like 360-era ngl.

I'm cool with it though, you have to know what you signed up for. Ever since the Wii, you just assume you won't have the latest and greatest in graphics. But I don't think it's trying to blow tits off with it's graphical prowess.

Looks like what it's going for is nice art style, smooth looking, non-aliased models and a steady 60 frames a second. That's probably why the detail, when you scrutinize it, is so lacking. I think it's going to have the F-Zero X / GX, (or Hollowknight - more relateably genre-wise) effect where experiencing it in motion completely eclipses seeing still frames of it. To be honest, if it came out looking twice as good but was at 30 fps, I would have preferred a smoother experience with fewer bells and whistles.

It's hard to play Samus Returns now since it's so incredibly jagged and kind of a slideshow at times, at least Dread will be a clear "generational leap" from that in terms of experience. Switch Pro can't come soon enough though... hoping Prime 4 will shoot for tits-off-graphics and be a launch title.

Now hoping the game itself doesn't suck. Don't have an OLED to experience it but I have a late model Panasonic plasma that should do the trick.

Last edited:

Porcile

The graphics are the graphics. Just a means to an end. The thing that will make or break this game is its replayability. Really couldn't care less what a bunch of reviewers playing the game through once to a deadline think of it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Imagine coming to a thread about a game you don't care about, so you can try to convince some internet strangers to not buy it based on some IGN (of all places) shitty preview. Holy shit.

I just played and beat my first Metroid game (Super Metroid) last week in preparation for this game. It was truly amazing and I regret not having experienced it back in the day. I've played almost all the classic franchises in my time, but missed out on Metroid entirely (including the Prime series). I knew the moment the title screen hit that Super Metroid was special, and I played until like 3 am before I even realized what time it was.

I'm praying that this game will be as good or better than Super Metroid.

Synless

I just played and beat my first Metroid game (Super Metroid) last week in preparation for this game. It was truly amazing and I regret not having experienced it back in the day. I've played almost all the classic franchises in my time, but missed out on Metroid entirely (including the Prime series). I knew the moment the title screen hit that Super Metroid was special, and I played until like 3 am before I even realized what time it was.

No way in hell it will be better, it will be damn good though.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Don't skip on Prime. I've only played the first one, but that one is amazing.

Top Bottom