• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Overview Trailer

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Other M looks better than this... a Wii game.
14c.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Looks like too many people missed on Other M

But hey... "graphics aren't important", right?

Please, please be better than this, stop shilling for a multi billion company when then can and SHOULD do better.

Upscaled emulator footage uh? Nice one.

Also please, explain to me how talking of a videogame on a thread about said videogame can be "shilling".

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Upscaled emulator footage uh? Nice one.
Same textures, it's the same game in high resolution that runs on a 2006 hardware, last I checked Switch is "2 gens" ahead of that, right?
Amazing how it still manages to be a "fact to back up my claim". :messenger_sunglasses:
Also please, explain to me how talking of a videogame on a thread about said videogame can be "shilling".
When people say that "it looks amazing" when a Wii game manages to look better than that, made by the same company.

Maybe you should google the definition of shilling, English is not my first language, so I take the time to use the correct words for what I mean.

lachesis

I think it will be too scary for me. One of the things that I dread (literally) is something chasing me like Mr. X or Nemesis.

I get a goosebump when I see Reaper chasing me in Persona games too - even when I'm hoping it will find me so that I get some insane amount of exp.
That dragging chain noise is something else...

Nevertheless - very much looking forward to it!

TintoConCasera

Same textures, it's the same game in high resolution that runs on a 2006 hardware, last I checked Switch is "2 gens" ahead of that, right?
Amazing how it still manages to be a "fact to back up my claim". :messenger_sunglasses:

When people say that "it looks amazing" when a Wii game manages to look better than that, made by the same company.

Maybe you should google the definition of shilling, English is not my first language, so I take the time to use the correct words for what I mean.
I don't think it looks better in anyway, but okay bro.

TintoConCasera

I think it will be too scary for me. One of the things that I dread (literally) is something chasing me like Mr. X or Nemesis.

I get a goosebump when I see Reaper chasing me in Persona games too - even when I'm hoping it will find me so that I get some insane amount of exp.
That dragging chain noise is something else...

Nevertheless - very much looking forward to it!
I can't remember since it's been years since I played it, but, didn't Zero Mission have a similar mechanic near the end with the space pirates? Even if I don't remember how it was, I know I liked it, so I hope it's similar here.

Kuranghi

I can't believe I have to write this but when people say something "looks amazing" that doesn't necessarily mean they are talking about the visuals/graphics/IQ. Media is visual with no interaction, games have gameplay.

Please stop talking to us like we are morons, we are interested in the game and very excited for it based on many factors we are seeing from previews, sorry you don't like the graphics/art style/whatever, maybe you should go and spend your time doing something more meaningful than telling us our opinions are wrong and that by expressing excitement for a game on a gaming discussion forum we are shilling for the game.

Shilling means trying to convince others to buy things, you came here to tell us how shit you think this looks and I don't agree with you for various reasons, I don't care if you change your mind or buy the game, I couldn't give a shit frankly. I'd just prefer if you stop shitting up the thread with your useless negativity thats very subjective.

lachesis

I can't remember since it's been years since I played it, but, didn't Zero Mission have a similar mechanic near the end with the space pirates? Even if I don't remember how it was, I know I liked it, so I hope it's similar here.

I haven't played Zero mission, but I did play Fusion. There was enemy doppleganger SA-X chasing you, but I didn't think SA-X being that scary though. Probably because it looked just like Samus in original suit...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Looks like too many people missed on Other M

But hey... "graphics aren't important", right?

Please, please be better than this, stop shilling for a multi billion company when then can and SHOULD do better.

i think your wii game looks better comment is a bit reaching
but yeah it looks a lot more interesting then dread. Esp if running on an emulator.

this is samus returns on citra it still looks like it was created by a B-team when other M at least looks okay.
dread just looks kinda off.

IGN mentioned it too. I hope it will get better

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Other M looks so much worse than Prime 3.

Aldric

Other M looks terrible and has some of the most basic environments this side of the New Super Mario Bros series, what we've seen of Dread is already more interesting visually if only for the area themes like the Chozo fortress or the research facility plunged in darkness that's reminiscent of both Super's ghost ship and Prime's Phendrana laboratory.

Then again I guess the fact trolls have to mention Other M in an attempt to rile us up shows that Dread truly looks like the real deal, not a lot of angles of attack other than the tried and tested "lo0ks liek a 3DO gaem LOL!!!".

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Other M is such a mixed bag visually. Some areas look decent while others look like complete shit. Dread still looks better.
not to mention it has pretty generic environments for the most part. This may not contribute to the technical side of things per se, but it's makes it aesthetically less appealing.

Faithless83

Banned
I can't believe I have to write this but when people say something "looks amazing" that doesn't necessarily mean they are talking about the visuals/graphics/IQ. Media is visual with no interaction, games have gameplay.

Please stop talking to us like we are morons, we are interested in the game and very excited for it based on many factors we are seeing from previews, sorry you don't like the graphics/art style/whatever, maybe you should go and spend your time doing something more meaningful than telling us our opinions are wrong and that by expressing excitement for a game on a gaming discussion forum we are shilling for the game.
Exactly, expressing opinions on a discussion is what we all are doing here. As someone who actually cares about Metroid (still have my japanese and US carts from back in the 90's), I'm pissed on how this is being treated as a C-tier franchise once Zelda and Mario get so much love. This is what created the genre in the first place, to many saying Castlevania SOTN perfected it.
Shilling means trying to convince others to buy things, you came here to tell us how shit you think this looks and I don't agree with you for various reasons, I don't care if you change your mind or buy the game, I couldn't give a shit frankly. I'd just prefer if you stop shitting up the thread with your useless negativity thats very subjective.
I've made it easier for people without the means to google:

They have the money to do something great. It's a 2.5d game, they could render it in painstakingly detail, both Ori games run on switch. Imagine what a Metroid game could look on that engine?
You should get used to people not agreeing with you on a forum. This isn't Era, you know?
i think your wii game looks better comment is a bit reaching
but yeah it looks a lot more interesting then dread. Esp if running on an emulator.

this is samus returns on citra it still looks like it was created by a B-team when other M at least looks okay.
dread just looks kinda off.

IGN mentioned it too. I hope it will get better

It's right on release, they had the chance and they blew it.
Other M is such a mixed bag visually. Some areas look decent while others look like complete shit. Dread still looks better.

jYhYQWN.png
Other M is a 3D game, this is a 2.5D so they have the means to only render a part of the screen or even make it parallax scrolling like Ori did. Besides, it's a Wii game. Textures were not amazing, yet still it looks better than Dread "early PS360 brown/gray games" If you can count the color pallet in one hand on a 2.5D game nowadays, I think something is seriously wrong.

Hinedorf

Banned
Game looks fantastic having played the series all the way back to a little kid on NES, admittedly though I always found the series extremely challenging and I always hated the way you would backtrack 2 screen spaces and all the enemies respawn.

To me the Metroid series always had some of the most amazing art/characters which still stand up with this entry, I'm just not sure I have the patience to get my ass whipped like I used to, might end up being a game I watch played through instead

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Has the Metroid video game franchise still any prestige remaining? The days of the 2D and primes games are well over now. Maybe the time to let Miyamoto kill the franchise (that he has always hated) has finally come. RIP Samus (1988 - †2007).
August 6, 1986. BRUH.

RScrewed

I'm down to play it, but I don't wanna give Nintendo any money and encourage them to do this. I'll probably pick it up second-hand for $30 when I find it somewhere locally.

Other M does indeed look more impressive when you consider it's running on hardware from 15 years ago. I'd be surprised if someone wouldn't be able to port Dread to the Wii and have it be playable at 480p with decent framerate without much trouble if the source code and assets were available.

Also, the parry mechanic sucks. It's way too forgiving and it makes the game less interesting as it devolves into a rhythm-encounter based game. I'm fine with parrying if it's done like Hollow Knight but the way Samus Returns and Dread appears to do it, it looks like it's one step away from just being a QTE. Not to mention the side effect of making parrying such a big part of the game, all enemies end up being designed to telegraph their attacks so much in advance that experienced players can simply run around and avoid them entirely.

Still have to play it to see how bad/good it is though.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'd like to ever so sweetly ask that all the Gloomy Gus Negative Nancy Debbie Downer Contrary Conroy Opposing Oscar Dissenting Dennis Cynical Cindy Pessimistic Paul Resentful Roger Denying David Hateful Harry Bitching Brandons in here to politely stop trying in vain to tear down the love and excitement many of us here and millions of people around the world have for this game...a game so many of us have been eagerly waiting for since 2002.

If you are a Metroid fan and hate the way Metroid Dread looks, that's okay and I'm very sorry...but hopefully you can still enjoy the gameplay. If you hate Metroid games for some reason and assume you will hate this one too, that's fine. If you are bitter because you were expecting 120 frames per second 2D animation or ultra detailed high-end graphics comparable to the abilities of Unreal Engine 5....this is Nintendo Switch. Perhaps the day will come where Nintendo is a graphics leader in the industry again, but that is just not the case currently.

- - - -

Finding enjoyment in tearing down the joy of others is not a healthy pasttime, nor will it win you any worthwhile friends. 👩‍🏫🧠

the-more-you-know.gif

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Gonna shed me some tears playing this RETURN.

The music in that dev diary thing with Sakamoto...I need to hear that with my own ears.

Something the Prime games have never been able to give us is actually seeing Samus in that world. Seeing her breathe in her suit, the pixel art breathing animation from Super. Seeing Samus standing in those fucking alien ruins with that music. The isolation. I hope we get good chanting music in this game..

I hope they go all Sumerian/Annunaki/Prometheus/Guyver in this!!

I wonder how the game will end? And where it'll leave Samus/Metroid.

Last edited:

tommib

Finally a proper Metroid game. Ppl bitching about how it looks it's so funny.
It’s a return to form! I think Nintendo is going all in with it. We might have a BOTW approach to the Metroid franchise. This is going to be one of the GOTY. You heard it here first. Previews are obsessed with how tense the game is and how it doesn’t hold your hand at all. They’re not fucking around with this Metroid. Love it.

tommib

I'd like to ever so sweetly ask that all the Gloomy Gus Negative Nancy Debbie Downer Contrary Conroy Opposing Oscar Dissenting Dennis Cynical Cindy Pessimistic Paul Resentful Roger Denying David Hateful Harry Bitching Brandons in here to politely stop trying in vain to tear down the love and excitement many of us here and millions of people around the world have for this game...a game so many of us have been eagerly waiting for since 2002.

If you are a Metroid fan and hate the way Metroid Dread looks, that's okay and I'm very sorry...but hopefully you can still enjoy the gameplay. If you hate Metroid games for some reason and assume you will hate this one too, that's fine. If you are bitter because you were expecting 120 frames per second 2D animation or ultra detailed high-end graphics comparable to the abilities of Unreal Engine 5....this is Nintendo Switch. Perhaps the day will come where Nintendo is a graphics leader in the industry again, but that is just not the case currently.

- - - -

Finding enjoyment in tearing down the joy of others is not a healthy pasttime, nor will it win you any worthwhile friends. 👩‍🏫🧠

the-more-you-know.gif
Another candidate for post of the year. Congrats.

gtrwll

If the game manages to capture the essence of what made Super Metroid great, which IMO is the atmosphere, then we have a winner. Or at least I have.

If the game doesn’t hold your hand as seems to have been stated in the previews, it sounds definitely promising. Considering the current trends, that’s not a given.

Aldric

Also, the parry mechanic sucks. It's way too forgiving and it makes the game less interesting as it devolves into a rhythm-encounter based game. I'm fine with parrying if it's done like Hollow Knight but the way Samus Returns and Dread appears to do it, it looks like it's one step away from just being a QTE. Not to mention the side effect of making parrying such a big part of the game, all enemies end up being designed to telegraph their attacks so much in advance that experienced players can simply run around and avoid them entirely.
Why is it "one step away from being a QTE"? That's a completely arbitrary criticism that could be applied to every parry mechanic ever conceived. Parry in Dread is also proactive so the player can use it to initiate an encounter instead of waiting for the enemy to attack first which from what I understood was the problem most people had with the mechanic in Returns. And I don't see why being able to avoid the enemies (made even easier in Dread thanks to the addition of the new slide move) is supposed to be a negative in a Metroid game, especially as the parry introduces a risk/reward dimension to the gameplay by giving you resources if you kill an enemy with it. I mean "experienced players don't have to be locked in combat and can run around enemies to go faster" isn't the own you think it is when talking about a game built for speedrunning like Metroid.

The art direction looks like a 3DS game just judging by the e3 trailer, which I wasn’t a fan of (samus returns on 3ds). I didn’t watch any other footage because I’m a big fan of the Metroid games and will buy it anyways.
But the actual graphics look good for switch. However, the Prime games still look better in art direction which in turn makes me automatically think of its graphics being better then dreads. I had fun with other m but it looked like absolute garbage.
I hope dread has more creatures and natural / terrestrial levels and less robots and metalic spaces. Basically more Super Metroid.

Top Bottom