• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Fusion - Game Boy Advance - Coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Draugoth

Gold Member

While lending mission support on planet SR388, interstellar bounty hunter Samus Aran is attacked by an X parasite, an organism with the ability to mimic the abilities of any creature it infects. Near death, Samus is saved by a vaccine made from the DNA of the last Metroid—the X parasite's only natural predator. When the X spread to a research station in orbit around SR388, a weakened Samus is forced to exterminate them all...or die trying. Experience classic Metroid game play as Samus explores the secret passages of a massive research station teeming with hostile life-forms. Master moves such as clinging to ledges, leaping to high ladders, and firing new weapons like Diffusion Missiles. Along the way, collect classic power-ups like the Morph Ball, Screw Attack, and Wave Beam. All these skills will be useful when you encounter the SA-X, an unstoppable X mimicking Samus, which is on the loose and could be just around the corner...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Fusion is one of my favorite Metriod games. If I don't have a Nintendo online membership can I still buy this and own it? or is this kinda like gamepass? I'm not sure how this retro program works on the Switch.

edit: "Nintendo Switch online and expansion pack membership required" nooooooooo

I'm assuming this will unlock the Fusion suit in Metroid Prime Remastered somehow though?

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Fusion is one of my favorite Metriod games. If I don't have a Nintendo online membership can I still buy this and own it? or is this kinda like gamepass? I'm not sure how this retro program works on the Switch.
Unfortunately not, but if you have a Wii U, you can buy it there, at least until the 27th.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Exactly this. Imagine if we could buy these games and own them. Tons of great NES, SNES and GBA games. I would be over the moon. Instead they are held hostage by Nintendos shitty online service.
That's what I did on Wii U. I still have almost all these.

Definitely preferable to sub exclusive, that's for sure.

ADiTAR

Banned
Excited, I played it, but don't remember anything besides I think a lot of Adam.

I do hope they add her outfit to Metroid Prime remastered.

Mr Hyde

That's what I did on Wii U. I still have almost all these.

Definitely preferable to sub exclusive, that's for sure.

I don't understand why Nintendo does this. Both MS and Sony let's you buy the games that are on their services. I bought Legend of Dragoon and Pentiment (and Sunset Overdrive) but Ninty is like "noooooo, can't have none of it, please subscribe."

Shut0wen

How do the game boy games play on switch? I havnt heard anything so im guessing they run better emulated then n64 games?

SCB3

It's such utter BS that Nintendo doesn't let us also buy these games. They can still have their subscription service. They would make a lot more money. Everyone wins.
Yea I've always found it weird, like there is a few games I'd buy digital (again...) but its all subscription based, its weird

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I slept on this when it released, but playing it again now on my Analogue Pocket and loving it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't understand why Nintendo does this. Both MS and Sony let's you buy the games that are on their services. I bought Legend of Dragoon and Pentiment (and Sunset Overdrive) but Ninty is like "noooooo, can't have none of it, please subscribe."
They sometimes push hard on weird exclusive shit, like the timed Mario 64 remaster. Most of the time I feel they're very fair to the consumer, but this is not one of those times.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Always thought this was £49.99 a year but it’s only £34.99.

Wish they had more N64 games as I’d probably subscribe at that price point.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I know it’s likely a 0% chance, but I’d give Nintendo all 3 of my daughters if they’d only add Hybrid Heaven to the N64 catalog.

John Bilbo

Exactly this. Imagine if we could buy these games and own them. Tons of great NES, SNES and GBA games. I would be over the moon. Instead they are held hostage by Nintendos shitty online service.
If Nintendo plays it smart, they will allow people to buy the games separately some time before the end of the Switch's lifespan.

Lasha

It's such utter BS that Nintendo doesn't let us also buy these games. They can still have their subscription service. They would make a lot more money. Everyone wins.

Would they though? Console online subs are pure profit. How many games would you realistically buy? Old roms were between 3$-10$ on the old eShop. Most people are probably not buying dozens of games. Each person who cancels NSO because they can just buy their games is 50$ in recurring revenue lost.

Naked Lunch

Like what?
Theres some extra ending scenes in the Japanese version that were cut from the US version for some reason. Shows more about Samus and the bird people.
Plus theres a Hard + Child modes in the Japanese version.
Also a gallery unlocks showing all the endings you got.

Like I said, minor, but necessary for every Fusion replay in my eyes.

graywolf323

Gold Member
honestly I think that’s one of the good things Sony is doing with PlayStation Classics on PS+, at least so far I believe you can purchase most of the PS1 games without needing a sub? and they even carry over if you purchased them previously on the PS3/PSP/Vita store

Gambit2483

Why are they keeping Zero Mission from us? They keep releasing Fusion but always ignore the best 2D Metroid game, Zero Mission.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Fusion is a mixed bag for me. I love it's style and atmosphere but it's the most handholdy Metroid game.

A great one for beginners for sure, it does still have tough boss battles mind you.

Zero Mission is far superior despite being a remake. For a long time it was Zero Mission and Resident Evil Remake as the best remakes of all time. Probably still nearly are.

jaysius

Banned
OMG! An OLD ROM is coming to the Switch PLUS online experience! OMG!!!

This one was fun though. Some annoying parts running from the clone but overall ok.

SpiceRacz

Really cool that this is available. On the other hand, it reminds me that Nintendo continues to drip feed these games to us. It makes me wonder if that's a result of personnel and budget. In the sense that this is an afterthought for them and they don't allocate the necessary resources to push these out faster.

Fusion was my first Metroid, and playing it and Zero Mission on GBA was a big part of my childhood a couple summers. That being said if anyone has a WiiU (I know all three of you) I’d just get them there. The WiiU has better button mapping options than the Switch and you actually get to own the games instead of renting them.

AngelMuffin

Theres some extra ending scenes in the Japanese version that were cut from the US version for some reason. Shows more about Samus and the bird people.
Plus theres a Hard + Child modes in the Japanese version.
Also a gallery unlocks showing all the endings you got.

Like I said, minor, but necessary for every Fusion replay in my eyes.
Oh cool. Had no idea.

Shifty1897

The first Metroid game I ever beat. Highly recommend giving this a try if you have Switch Online and haven't played it before, it's also a great entry point into the franchise.

poodaddy

Not only one of the best Metroid games, but actually one of Nintendo's best of all time. Terrific contribution.....admittedly a bit weird for Zero Mission to not be there as well though.

Astral Dog

,its not a traditional Metroid,but it is one of the greatest portable games ever made and imo still better than Metroid Dread, i hope Metroid 6 is a big step up

Top Bottom