• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 Release Date Remains Unknown at Nintendo

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Divulged in Nintendo's latest financial document going over earnings from the company's second quarter of its fiscal year, Metroid Prime 4 was mentioned in the presentation alongside a number of other upcoming titles. While many of these other games such as Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 all had 2022 launch windows attached to them, Metroid Prime 4 was merely designated as "TBA". As such, this verifies that Nintendo basically still doesn't know when the game is going to end up releasing. More so, it also seems to tell us that a launch in 2022 is likely out of the question.

YukiOnna

I don't think it'll be for Switch 2. Still holding out hope it'll be unveiled around 2nd half of next year for a '23 release.

I mean they rebooted development in 2019 so that's not exactly surprising is it? Prime 4 is also typically the kind of game that'd benefit from more powerful hardware.
I've said it many times already but i'll be disappointed if prime releases on the og switch... I want to be wow'd.

I wanted bay 3 to be on switch 2 as well and... well you can see why I did lol.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Divulged in Nintendo's latest financial document going over earnings from the company's second quarter of its fiscal year, Metroid Prime 4 was mentioned in the presentation alongside a number of other upcoming titles. While many of these other games such as Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 all had 2022 launch windows attached to them, Metroid Prime 4 was merely designated as "TBA". As such, this verifies that Nintendo basically still doesn't know when the game is going to end up releasing. More so, it also seems to tell us that a launch in 2022 is likely out of the question.

Honestly, who writes this garbage?

"TBA" means "To Be Announced"

It doesn't in any shape or form indicate that Nintendo doesn't know when the game will be released. Perhaps they don't, but it's not what this means. It simply means they have not announced it yet. The fact that it has changed to TBA from 2022 also does not mean that they don't know. It may imply an internal delay, but not lack of insight.

I swear, people extrapolate the most uncanny and simply incorrect things when they write articles from financial results that apparently they don't have the tools to read correctly. Mind you, this is even worse because it misrepresents a simple and common acronym in English. What the...

Last edited:

Astral Dog

We know the game was totally rebooted around 2018- 2019 no, this isn't surprising hopefully the game is progressing well...

It will appear when we least expect it

blacktout

As such, this verifies that Nintendo basically still doesn't know when the game is going to end up releasing. More so, it also seems to tell us that a launch in 2022 is likely out of the question.

Nah, it tells us absolutely nothing. Nintendo never reveals new release date information in these financial presentations. They always just use whatever release dates/windows are already public information. This doesn't say anything about whether or not Nintendo "knows" internally when a title will be released nor does it in any way rule out a 2022 release date.

That's not to say that I think it's coming out next year though. Given that BotW 2 looks (optimistically) like a holiday game, you have to imagine MP4 is farther off. Though I guess it's possible that the pandemic hit Retro less hard than Nintendo's Japanese studios.

CuNi

Figured that. Switch 2 release probably.

At this point, yeah.

I mean they rebooted development in 2019 so that's not exactly surprising is it? Prime 4 is also typically the kind of game that'd benefit from more powerful hardware.

I've said it many times already but i'll be disappointed if prime releases on the og switch... I want to be wow'd.

I wanted bay 3 to be on switch 2 as well and... well you can see why I did lol.

Since they just said that they want to support switch 1 for another 5 years, it'll release on og Switch. There is no way around this. I wonder how they optimize it tho. Dread was a 2.5D game and looked a bit rough. Metroid prime 4 will be full 3D so I hope they can do wonders to squeeze out better visuals than dread.

Marvel14

Banned
Honestly, who writes this garbage?

"TBA" means "To Be Announced"

It doesn't in any shape or form indicate that Nintendo doesn't know when the game will be released. Perhaps they don't, but it's not what this means. It simply means they have not announced it yet. The fact that it has changed to TBA from 2022 also does not mean that they don't know. It may imply an internal delay, but not lack of insight.

I swear, people extrapolate the most uncanny and simply incorrect things when they write articles from financial results that apparently they don't have the tools to read correctly. Mind you, this is even worse because it misrepresents a simple and common acronym in English. What the...
x men comfort GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
metroid prime 4 is not coming anytime soon now that dread just released not long ago.

Metnut

I’d love to see a new Punch Out or FZero but I’d settle for a new Mario or Donkey Kong game. Cmon Nintendo!

Porcile

5 years seems to be the standard time for a sustainable high quality Switch game judging by Bayo 3 and Shin Megami Tensei 5. We ain't seeing this till 2023 at the earliest.

Umbasaborne

Banned
What a mistake they fucking made announcing that in 2017…the fuck were they thinking. At thus point im assuming this shit is never coming out

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's been a while. Can't they just give us a little teaser?

Rat Rage

To the surprise of absolutely nobody. You can't develop a game in the vein of Metroid Prime 4 in just 2 years.

Shaqazooloo

Don't post comicbook articles, they are trash. Nintendo never posts release dates in financial briefings, just what is known publicly.

Last edited:

gamer82

I think at this point we can just expect it to be on next console like they did with Zelda , but its kind disappointing to show it in development on switch and then moving it to the next console to get sales. just be upfront about it so people do not have to end up double dipping cross gens.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Really intrigued for this game but desperately need a way to play the OG trilogy (please don’t suggest buying a Wii or Wii U).

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Retro Studios wont have a game released in over a decade soon. And they are supposed to save Metroid Prime 4. What could go wrong?

Woopah

I think at this point we can just expect it to be on next console like they did with Zelda , but its kind disappointing to show it in development on switch and then moving it to the next console to get sales. just be upfront about it so people do not have to end up double dipping cross gens.
It'll be cross gen at best, I don't see it skipping the current Switch. They should have made sure they were happy with the quality Bandai Namco were providing before announcing it though.

gamer82

It'll be cross gen at best, I don't see it skipping the current Switch. They should have made sure they were happy with the quality Bandai Namco were providing before announcing it though.
I guess they just decided to hype more people up into buying switch, it kinda sucks I'm not versed in metorid ut I have picked up the switch oled and dread for Christmas so looking forward to playing on the big screen. I would so love a prime trilogy in some form on the switch to go through it and it would have been a good idea for them after restarting this game from the ground up but I guess thats what they released this game that was 19 years or whatever in the making

. they know if this comes out on switch 2 most people will want it there and probably defeats the point of worrying about past gen and wasting resources , if they care about sales which we know they always do.

Last edited:
Looking for staff in roles that sounds like "The guys who make the DevKits" doesn't sound like a good look for the hope of Metroid Prime 4 coming out in the short-term future, quite frankly.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
MP4 will probably be a big holiday release. I think BotW is gonna be their main event for this year, so 2023 makes sense to me.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This won't be a Switch game. This will be released on whatever comes after the Switch.
I bet they'll keep it cross gen for the same reason they did with BotW. It was one of the big games promised to Switch owners during the launch window.

Top Bottom