• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Engineer Was Disappointed With Nintendo Wii Specs

Deerock71

Complaining about Wii specs now?
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

cireza

Banned
Game was a massive disappointment.
Theres a reason why nobody talks about this game lol
What kind of logic is this ?
I can list tenths of games that nobody talks about, and that are all awesome.

Pretty sure you haven't played it, by the way.

Last edited:

Porcile

The Wii was underpowered but looking back that brought the kinds unique games to the system that so many people would be dying to play today. Sin and Punishment 2, Zack and Wiki, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, No More Heroes, Mad World, The Last Story etc etc

FeldMonster

The Wii is what killed Nintendo for me. It's when they stopped trying altogether and just accepted that they'd fill the role of the mobile games tier console market. Rest in peace Nintendo gaming 1984-2007.
I agree with your overall sentiment, but it was the Gamecube that started their decline. Tiny disks that gimped third party games, no DVD capability, Playskool colors on the controller, AWFUL right stick, Purple.

I was a huge Nintendo fan. And the Gamecube caused me to nope the f out. Metroid Prime 1 & 2 were awesome, but it was otherwise garbage.

I agree with your overall sentiment, but it was the Gamecube that started their decline. Tiny disks that gimped third party games, no DVD capability, Playskool colors on the controller, AWFUL right stick, Purple.

I was a huge Nintendo fan. And the Gamecube caused me to nope the f out. Metroid Prime 1 & 2 were awesome, but it was otherwise garbage.
It's kinda funny how positively the GameCube is viewed in retrospect now. It certainly wasn't viewed so positively when it was still on the market. It's one of Nintendo's most overrated systems, if not the most overrated.

Trilobit

The Wii was underpowered but looking back that brought the kinds unique games to the system that so many people would be dying to play today. Sin and Punishment 2, Zack and Wiki, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, No More Heroes, Mad World, The Last Story etc etc

I actually preferred what they chose to do. I don't know how fun that gen would have been with all three major companies having similar performance and control layouts. The whole business needs a company like Nintendo that dares to try out different things and have a more toy maker mindset. Of course there's so much to complain with Nintendo, like their online shenanigans and such, but in the end they nicely complement the more powerful systems.

Well yes, but Prime 3 is a great looking game.

Imo Wii should have pulled a ps3 ; just shove the old GC gpu in there for BC, as is. Wii could have kept the same cpu design but just have been less conservative with it i.e. 1ghz and an extra core or two. Funny thing is, this is pretty close to what Wii U did.

Shove a low powered variant of the xbox 360 gpu in there, make it at least hd capable and call it a day.

Last edited:
I actually preferred what they chose to do. I don't know how fun that gen would have been with all three major companies having similar performance and control layouts. The whole business needs a company like Nintendo that dares to try out different things and have a more toy maker mindset. Of course there's so much to complain with Nintendo, like their online shenanigans and such, but in the end they nicely complement the more powerful systems.
Similar performance =\= dx9 Hd capable. Think of 360’s gpu but cut down to a fourth… would have helped a lot.

I love the Wii but it was just a bit too conservative.

Banned
who the fuck wasn't disappointed with the Wii Specs? lol... they literally overclocked a freaking GameCube and sold it as a new console :pie_roffles:

these are 2 separate generations:
863743221_MML.jpg
R.0904ff4166aecb82f2c849742518f93d

9.4 GFLOPs vs 12 GFLOPs = 27.6% increase in GPU performance

and these are 2 consoles of the same generation:
R.1eace1f838837872ac4abe71bf0470da
xbox-one-x-console-150x150.jpg

1.4 TFLOPs vs 6 TFLOPs = 328.6% increase in GPU performance

these are even considered the same freaking console bascially:
SjH0KlN.png
R.1eace1f838837872ac4abe71bf0470da

1.31 TFLOPs vs 1.4 TFLOPs = 6.8% increase in GPU performance

the Wii is the equivalent of Microsoft releasing a system that has the hardware of the Xbox One, but clocked higher to hit 1.6 TFLOPs and give it a new controller :pie_roffles:

Last edited:
Top Bottom