• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force Review Thread

Other M's Metascore is at least 10 points too high. Many reviewers scored that game on inertia and brand alone. The real backslash started later. You only need to read IGN's textbook example of a bad review (gave it an 8.5) to see it.

I feel like people don't remember just how bad Other M was.

Other M was a dumpster fire of a game.

Other M's Metascore is at least 10 points too high. Many reviewers scored that game on inertia and brand alone. The real backslash started later. You only need to read IGN's textbook example of a bad review (gave it an 8.5) to see it.

I disagree. The game gets too much undeserved hate. It was a really fast paced well designed metroidvania. The story was not as good as one would have hoped but from a gameplay perspective It was really good. Maybe a tad short but thats about it

Ehh. No

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I disagree. The game gets too much undeserved hate. It was a really fast paced well designed metroidvania. The story was not as good as one would have hoped but from a gameplay perspective It was really good. Maybe a tad short but thats about it

In what world was it a well designed Metroidvania? The game is a series of long corridors with absolutely zero exploration. You go where you are told to go for the entire game, navigating the environment requires almost zero thinking from the player. A Metroidvania game where you don't need to use the map or carefully explore each room, is a terrible failure.

Dominator

Not trying to shit on the game whatsoever, but just noting nobody pre-ordered this game at my GameStop. I opened at the store today and put our only copy (yup, only got 1) out behind me and not one person asked about it. My store has a pretty popular 3DS base, the new Kirby game sold a lot here. I guess nobody is really interested in it, and it doesn't help that they didn't advertise it at ALL in the store, where the 3DS section is still littered with Kirby and Pokemon.

Ehh. No
That is easily proveable to be false. In what dimension does linear environments with doors that lock behind you at random (and thus preventing backtracking) makes for a well designed Metroidvania?

Kinsei

Banned
Not trying to shit on the game whatsoever, but just noting nobody pre-ordered this game at my GameStop. I opened at the store today and put our only copy (yup, only got 1) out behind me and not one person asked about it. My store has a pretty popular 3DS base, the new Kirby game sold a lot here. I guess nobody is really interested in it, and it doesn't help that they didn't advertise it at ALL in the store, where the 3DS section is still littered with Kirby and Pokemon still.

It doesn;t seem to be selling well I have trouble getting full lobbies even though the game only came out today. I get the feeling that this thing is going to bomb hard.

Ushojax

It doesn;t seem to be selling well I have trouble getting full lobbies even though the game only came out today. I get the feeling that this thing is going to bomb hard.

Of course it's going to bomb, for a Metroid game to sell it needs to be a quality game. A middling spinoff to a niche franchise is never going to sell.

Kinsei

Banned
Of course it's going to bomb, for a Metroid game to sell it needs to be a quality game. A middling spinoff to a niche franchise is never going to sell.

Well yeah, but I expected it to do better than this. I figured it would do at least good enough to have a decent player base on launch day.

In what world was it a well designed Metroidvania? The game is a series of long corridors with absolutely zero exploration. You go where you are told to go for the entire game, navigating the environment requires almost zero thinking from the player. A Metroidvania game where you don't need to use the map or carefully explore each room, is a terrible failure.

That is easily proveable to be false. In what dimension does linear environments with doors that lock behind you at random (and thus preventing backtracking) makes for a well designed Metroidvania?
And metroidvania is basically a bunch of rooms put together. You solve puzzles to get into locations that seemed unaccessible. Thats basically the point of that type pf game.

And while I agree that the story portions were just cringeworthy the game had good puzzles and a lot of powerups that were hidden quite well. Maybe the main poweups were tied up too much with the story abd were therefore too easy to get but thats also true for some other great games in that genre.

Also the combat system was really well done imho (although a bit too dependent on dodges) and created memorable bossfights

You guys are completely ignoring the portions leading up to phantoon.
The game opens up a completely and some of the powerups are really well hidden so...

Lowest scoring Metroid game yet. Hopefully this is Nintendo's wake up call, but I won't hold my breath.
They will simply shelve the franchise. Seeing how few people there are that care about metroid and how those people dont appreciate any game that doesnt fit their taste 100% I think it is inevitable.

J@hranimo

Banned
Why would they want to shelve the franchise based on a spinoff?

If anything, they will divert their focus to a mainline Metroid sometime in the future.

Chris R

Wish Metacritic would have something similar to RT "Top Critics" so you can easily skip over the massively outliers reviews like the 90 and 95 for a game that everyone else says is a 65 or 70 at best.

Ehh. No

I remember it quite well, and it really wasn't. Only in internet world where best ever and worst ever are the only things that exist.

This is a game that revealed that Samus is a whiney woman who just can't get over her Daddy issues. Revealed that Samus wouldn't turn on her suit's cooling systems when she is melting without Adam's word. A game that had Samus cower in fear from Ridley. The story of Metroid Other M, and what is says about Samus isn't just bad, it's insultingly bad. Regardless of whether or not Federation Force damages the brand, I guarantee you it will never damage the brand like Other M did.

Ha! Watch how they take it as a sign that nobody cares about the Metroid franchise as a whole instead.

Depositphotos_11331458_m-2.jpg

This is a game that revealed that Samus is a whiney woman who just can't get over her Daddy issues. Revealed that Samus wouldn't turn on her suit's cooling systems when she is melting without Adam's word. A game that had Samus cower in fear from Ridley. The story of Metroid Other M, and what is says about Samus isn't just bad, it's insultingly bad. Regardless of whether or not Federation Force damages the brand, I guarantee you it will never damage the brand like Other M did.

I said i didnt care for the story. Also people are being way too harsh for the bad story. Bayonettas story is way more lolworthy and the depiction of cereza is hugely offensive yet I dont care because the gameplay is just solid as hell.

In other words. If other m was a completely broken game with no redeemable qualities it would have been a dead franchise to me but I think the gameplay was good.

Ill also give federation force a benefit of a doubt. I know it will be a game with bad graphics due to the power restrictions of the hardware. I know that I will be playing a faceless dude instead of samus. I know I will be playing a game that had multiplayer ik mind. I also know that the game is going to be segmented.

Still i believe there is a core element in metroid gameplay that I just appreciate and it seems like they left that portion in the game

Regiruler

Playing through it solo, I've discovered there's probably one small issue that gets layered and layered upon to make the single player as difficult as it was: the drones, one of your primary sources of balancing, can be destroyed, and you'll almost never notice until you realize nothing is shooting besides you and that your damage output is down.

The drones aren't ineffective, they're glass cannons.

one of them is from IGN which shouldn't be taken seriously whether they praise or slam a game.

Yup, better to just ignore sites you personally don't like. Makes sense. Just ignore Nintendo Life, Nintendo Enthusiast, Kotaku, and all others too. Better trust none of them.

Here's what you said:

So basically, this game turned out good. 3DS gains yet another solid title to its library. The initial showings looked poor, but it's nice that Next Level Games pleasantly surprised us.

Based on the reviews we got, that's not what we can infer. Perhaps it's an issue with how you are writing, maybe English isn't your first language. You could have provided some context to make a reasonable statement. Now that this did not happen, and other posters as well as me question your statement, you become passive aggressive. But well, if you just wish to ignore negative reviews for the game (as indicated by your comment on ignoring IGN already), the statement does make sense. You could have said for example:

Every game gets some negative reviews. I don't want to re-quote myself to add such a silly edit.

Small change, but now it makes more sense.

Also, people liked Nier enough in order for Taro Yako to create Nier Automata. Negative praise toward Nier and God Hand is in the minority. I admit that those titles may not have been the best comparison, but Code Name S.T.E.A.M is a game that I like a lot and it has a high user review average.

You're still just referencing "people"/"people that played" - without any kind of measurement that's a pretty bold statement. That's why people use review averages to have an indication of the general feeling about a game's quality. That's at least more specific that the pretty vague statements you are making here.

And I also liked Code Name STEAM, but I see where the review scores are coming from and definitely wouldn't give it a much higher rating. There was simply too much wrong with the game.

There isn't much left for me to respond to, because the post that you directly quoted is totally different than some of the statements you were spewing out. You said that I wanted the game to be good and that I thought the game was a really good title.

How can not see that after directly having my quote in this very post? That's why I questioned your reading comprehension, and that just makes it even more hilarious that you would question English not being my first language.

I also said that it doesn't matter whether IGN praises or criticizes a game, because the site is unprofessional and has poorly written reviews. It has nothing to do with the score being high or low.

And what kind of game doesn't get at least get a few negative reviews anyways? Even the mighty GTA V and The Last of Us have a few detractors. I understand that there is general consensus, but my belief is that fanbase of a game has a lot of credibility and the ability to spread word of mouth.

Is a game's quality based on Metascore? That's definitely what you said. For me, a game is good if I enjoy it, and other opinions don't really matter that much. Pokemon XY is one of the highest rated games on 3DS, but I personally don't care for it that much. I know I'm in the minority along with other critical GAF members. Along with general opinion threads, I use Metacritic/Amazon user score and other non-paid reviews to help with my decisions.

I didn't want this argument to derail the thread, because others need to get their words in. I don't mind having different opinions on scores/reviews, but your responses imply a thick head. I'm not being that vague.

Ushojax

The story of Other M boils down to Sakamoto saying "see, Samus is just a woman" and all the awful stereotypes that entails when coming from an old Japanese man. His Samus is a pathetic person.

I find it funny that reviewers continue to knock Nintendo for not offering any type of voice chat in their games. How many years has this been an issue? I mean, I guess it's good to point it out in the hopes that one day Nintendo will change their ways but at this point, it's just a given - to me at least.

If they keep making the same mistake over and over should they not be criticised for it?

They get enough free passes due to "Oh, it's Nintendo" as is.

marmoka

Banned
You can stop using this picture you know. Metroid got a Streetpass Plaza puzzle and items in Miitomo. Nintendo remembered to celebrate the anniversary.

Other Nintendo franchises got great games or remakes in their anniversary, and Metroid just got a Streetpass Plaza puzzle and items in Miitomo,which nobody care for. It's a disgusting anniversary, and that image shows it well.

Toxi

Banned
Other Nintendo franchises got great games or remakes in their anniversary, and Metroid just got a Streetpass Plaza puzzle and items in Miitomo,which nobody care for. It's a disgusting anniversary, and that image shows it well.
But it got Metroid Prime Federation Force!

Also, LOL Miitomo

Xhaner5

Neo Member
While as a MP veteran my opinion may be very critical for this release, I think it's actually a sneak peak possibly preparing for the next big release, but I may be wrong. Anyone thinks they may be doing it on purpose to make it cheesy? I'm not sure if that's going to fly considering how careful Nintendo is trying to protect original perception of the IP from all those fan mimications and spoofs.

Certainly the rollover of the projects to NX, which means all those WiiU games, are gonna get boosted up for NX, if they were originally developed for a high GFX fidelity, unfortunately those that were not, may not have any high quality assest available to just "set the volume up", if a project was almost done for WiiU but was strategically delayed for NX release, they probably won't be going making all new textures, but the polish may still be better and some post process GFX features would be added ontop, as well as the obvious ones such as resolution, fps, etc.

I can see that the whole NX moniker just didn't made sense to me until I put it like it should be N + X, so if you look at the logo you can see a red and a yellow line, one is for the fully portable "tegra X2" device, the other one is for the optional supplemental processing device (a big box of RAM, CPU, GPU), you connect them together, and then to the TV, and I guess the moble screen on it is going to do some use what GamePad was intended for to display some misc info such as scores, or a map for a local mp game, but since the mobile X is going to have to be docked not sure if the screen will be visible to be useful or just some positioning will do the trick, with a supplied stand it would fix the problem, don't expect this to work wirelessly, I think it's way too much data and not all TVs are wireless ofcourse.

The X mobile device could be a successor to the 3DS and that marketing being switched to that, and for the hardcore community hey there's the big N, other than that I can't be more specific, for all we know Nintendo could have come across some old notes left by Iwata to "drop the bomb" and it may be a full blown phone.

And if, probably, they sell both in a bundle as well, you got yourself an NX.

PtM

Banned
Not trying to shit on the game whatsoever, but just noting nobody pre-ordered this game at my GameStop. I opened at the store today and put our only copy (yup, only got 1) out behind me and not one person asked about it. My store has a pretty popular 3DS base, the new Kirby game sold a lot here. I guess nobody is really interested in it, and it doesn't help that they didn't advertise it at ALL in the store, where the 3DS section is still littered with Kirby and Pokemon.
Sounds like Nintendo are realising a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Wish Metacritic would have something similar to RT "Top Critics" so you can easily skip over the massively outliers reviews like the 90 and 95 for a game that everyone else says is a 65 or 70 at best.
You actually could once sort outlets by activity, but they shelved that option for reasons I couldn't fathom.
While as a MP veteran my opinion may be very critical for this release, I think it's actually a sneak peak possibly preparing for the next big release, but I may be wrong. Anyone thinks they may be doing it on purpose to make it cheesy? I'm not sure if that's going to fly considering how careful Nintendo is trying to protect original perception of the IP from all those fan mimications and spoofs.

Certainly the rollover of the projects to NX, which means all those WiiU games, are gonna get boosted up for NX, if they were originally developed for a high GFX fidelity, unfortunately those that were not, may not have any high quality assest available to just "set the volume up", if a project was almost done for WiiU but was strategically delayed for NX release, they probably won't be going making all new textures, but the polish may still be better and some post process GFX features would be added ontop, as well as the obvious ones such as resolution, fps, etc.

I can see that the whole NX moniker just didn't made sense to me until I put it like it should be N + X, so if you look at the logo you can see a red and a yellow line, one is for the fully portable "tegra X2" device, the other one is for the optional supplemental processing device (a big box of RAM, CPU, GPU), you connect them together, and then to the TV, and I guess the moble screen on it is going to do some use what GamePad was intended for to display some misc info such as scores, or a map for a local mp game, but since the mobile X is going to have to be docked not sure if the screen will be visible to be useful or just some positioning will do the trick, with a supplied stand it would fix the problem, don't expect this to work wirelessly, I think it's way too much data and not all TVs are wireless ofcourse.

The X mobile device could be a successor to the 3DS and that marketing being switched to that, and for the hardcore community hey there's the big N, other than that I can't be more specific, for all we know Nintendo could have come across some old notes left by Iwata to "drop the bomb" and it may be a full blown phone.

And if, probably, they sell both in a bundle as well, you got yourself an NX.
Nintendo Cross-development.

Simbabbad

Game was incredible fun, enjoyed it as much as any Prime game, the hard mode in particular was amazing. Loved how bold and well thought it was, the pacing, and the return to pulp. The scores were well deserved. It's only after some people made up stuff about "misogyny" in the story that the "worst game ever" meme took off, ruining the whole franchise potential into hyperbolic hysteria. A Wii U sequel would have been great.

Ha! Watch how they take it as a sign that nobody cares about the Metroid franchise as a whole instead.
We all know the series is over. It was never a big seller, and nobody would invest in such a toxic userbase now.

Sounds like Nintendo are realising a self-fulfilling prophecy.
That's a joke, right? Every attempt at online advertisement was sabotaged by the toxic part of the userbase, long before anybody was able to try it. The userbase wrote "never touch again" all over the franchise, then went to cry about how it was neglected. At this point, no sane developer would want to touch it with a ten foot poll, nobody likes to be trashed on social media for something that costs and never sold much.

Jobbs

Banned
Pretty sure I'd rather shave my balls with a box cutter than play this.

Game was incredible fun, enjoyed it as much as any Prime game, the hard mode in particular was amazing.

I'm not here to tell you that you didn't have fun, but I thought Other M was vile and offensive in its badness from story to gameplay to visuals. It should have been nuked from orbit, but instead was allowed to release. I don't trust Sakamoto or anyone at all really. I don't trust people anymore.

I'm not here to tell you that you didn't have fun, but I thought Other M was vile and offensive in its badness from story to gameplay to visuals. It should have been nuked from orbit, but instead was allowed to release. I don't trust Sakamoto or anyone at all really. I don't trust people anymore.

How do you even know you were the one who posted this, but someone pretending to be you.

Top Bottom