• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered |OT| Once More Through Tallon IV

RAIDEN1

If they bring out a remaster of F-Zero, which is as good as a remaster like Dead Space....then I might just jump into the World of Nintendo for the first time in 20 years..and try these remasters out too...never brought part 2 and 3, but then I could never quite get into Part 1 of Metroid Prime....probably brought it just for the hype...

Aldric

All this talk of this remaster just reminds you of what the hell is going on with Prime 4.....virtually nothing is known or is it being saved for Switch 2?
A Youtuber I occasionally watch did an interview with one of his friends who works as a concept artist at Retro earlier this year. He's implied that he saw the game and was very impressed with what he saw. Development seems to be going well.

RAIDEN1

A Youtuber I occasionally watch did an interview with one of his friends who works as a concept artist at Retro earlier this year. He's implied that he saw the game and was very impressed with what he saw. Development seems to be going well.
Yeah but even so, it's not as if this game is soo big that it would span multiple discs. (or whatever format the switch uses)..it should have been out already but I suppose they want to wait so it gets some extra boost in power with whatever the next Switch is called...

Last edited:

Aldric

Yeah but even so, it's not as if this game is soo big that it would span multiple discs. (or whatever format the switch uses)..it should have been out already but I suppose they want to wait so it gets some extra boost in power with whatever the next Switch is called...
Development was rebooted in 2019 and then you know what happend a year later which probably further delayed completion. We also have no idea how large the game is, I expect it to be significantly bigger than the first three Prime games.

RAIDEN1

Development was rebooted in 2019 and then you know what happend a year later which probably further delayed completion. We also have no idea how large the game is, I expect it to be significantly bigger than the first three Prime games.
Without a doubt (it will be bigger) after all this is Prime 4 we are talking about...no walk in the park

Game has character and is dripping with atmosphere but the music is in meh teritory. It sounds like eurosynth from the 90’s or something and it doesn’t really fit the vibe of the game. Fans hyped this ost so much and complained about the music in Dread that I was expecting something better than what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️
Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Phazon Mines can suck my fucking dick with ZERO save rooms in it. Got all the way and got the power bomb after dealing with nonstop cock sucking pirates with not much life left only to die just after getting the power bomb and now im allllllllllllll the way back to my save just as i got in and i dont keep anything?

Bahahahaha no. Go fuck yourself with that antique game design with no checkpoint. I refuse to drop the difficulty over shitty design. Game deleted.

Hopefully 2 and 3 if they come out will at least add checkpoints outside of saves. If not, no thanks.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned
Phazon Mines can suck my fucking dick with ZERO save rooms in it. Got all the way and got the power bomb after dealing with nonstop cock sucking pirates with not much life left only to die just after getting the power bomb and now im allllllllllllll the way back to my save just as i got in and i dont keep anything?

Bahahahaha no. Go fuck yourself with that antique game design with no checkpoint. I refuse to drop the difficulty over shitty design. Game deleted.

Hopefully 2 and 3 if they come out will at least add checkpoints outside of saves. If not, no thanks.
I think there's a save point right next to that room.

ADiTAR

Banned
I just looked at a map online, youre right. Have no idea how i missed that...Fucking piece of shit game lol....ill give it another go in a day or so, thanks.
Honestly tho, the phazon mines are the worst part of the game. I think they did it on purpose, cause they wanted you to hate it as you play, and then they did it in the Dark World of MP2.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
music is in meh teritory. It sounds like eurosynth from the 90’s or something and it doesn’t really fit the vibe of the game. Fans hyped this ost so much and complained about the music in Dread that I was expecting something better than what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️
Huh.

I didn't care for the first-person platforming. It often felt like a guess if I would land on a platform, because I was often jumping blind. That and some areas were so dark it was difficult to see, or having to jump in X-ray vision made visibility even worse.
What in the hell? This is the game that basically proved first-person platforming could be done right, after dozens of botched experiments since the early low-poly 3D shit you could find on PC before consoles even entered the 3D era. It never felt so natural to do platforming in first person before MP.

I’ve seen many people complain about the game being too dark. The GC version seemed to be, too. Just increase your TV’s brightness a few notches and everything will be clear. I know, your perfectly calibrated current-gen HDR games don’t need that. MP does and doing it can only make the game play as intended. You’re meant to see where you’re going here. If something is too dark that’s not artistic choice, it’s your screen is set too dark.

If that’s how you feel here, forget MP2. That game’s first hours are about kicking your ass. Also, you missed the save point right after the Power Bomb as somebody already told you, so that’s your fault and not the game’s.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The trek into the Phazon mines is one of the game's most memorable parts alongside the backtracking out of the Phendrana laboratory once the power goes out. Imagine complaining about it and then wondering why modern gaming is automated cinematic garbage.
Or, complaining about it and loving Souls games.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Huh.

What in the hell? This is the game that basically proved first-person platforming could be done right, after dozens of botched experiments since the early low-poly 3D shit you could find on PC before consoles even entered the 3D era. It never felt so natural to do platforming in first person before MP.

I’ve seen many people complain about the game being too dark. The GC version seemed to be, too. Just increase your TV’s brightness a few notches and everything will be clear. I know, your perfectly calibrated current-gen HDR games don’t need that. MP does and doing it can only make the game play as intended. You’re meant to see where you’re going here. If something is too dark that’s not artistic choice, it’s your screen is set too dark.

If that’s how you feel here, forget MP2. That game’s first hours are about kicking your ass. Also, you missed the save point right after the Power Bomb as somebody already told you, so that’s your fault and not the game’s.

Nearly 24 hrs later, im fine now lol.....i was pretty pissed last night but the other poster told me the same and im gonna try again later today. Just needed my venting session lol

I did beat MP2 and 3 back in the day, i just forgot about this annoyance of the mines

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
That was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, on the N64, five years earlier. Assuming there wasn't some other game that did it even earlier.

Davey Cakes

The trek into the Phazon mines is one of the game's most memorable parts alongside the backtracking out of the Phendrana laboratory once the power goes out. Imagine complaining about it and then wondering why modern gaming is automated cinematic garbage.
Yeah. I think the reason why people like the Souls games (and genre) is because those titles have the balls to punish you for your mistakes. Metroid Prime could maybe use some modern QoL features such as a warp between save points, but as it stands the game is just willing to make you work a bit for your progress. It's not unfair or badly designed, but it does take some commitment and effort and some people just can't stand that. Backtracking and redoing are basically taboo at this point.

Even then, Metroid Prime had a hint system you could toggle on or off. It could've been even more brutal.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Its weird, soulslikes aren't my thing, I just lose interest when I have to keep repeating content because i find the actual combat boring, way more variety and options to a Metroid game but it doesn't matter. I dropped Hollow Knight for the same reasons after a few hours even though I really liked the tone, atmosphere and music... but I fucking love Metroid/Metroid-likes, I never mind if I die and have to replay content, but I always have the max possible e-tanks so there quite a bit of room for error after you have 5 tanks or more.

Aldric

Or, complaining about it and loving Souls games.
Yeah Prime and this section in particular evokes the same feeling of venturing into the hostile unknown as the Souls games, Prime truly is the precursor of Fromsoft's series, much more than Zelda. Even so unlike with Souls games where it's mostly just the fans talking bollocks and the game absolutely expecting you to die repeatedly to progress the Phazon mines are easily doable first try if you're patient enough, carefully explored beforehand and observe your surroundings while you're here:

-By the time you reach the mines you should already have grabbed the majority of the energy tanks. This gives you ample room for error since enemies can't really gang up on you and two shot you like in Souls. You're also much more mobile and fight at a distance, encouraging cautious behavior.

-Speaking of that there are rooms featuring multiple space pirates where you can shoot them from a vantage point or see them coming from a mile away since they have to go through a chokepoint to reach you. You have the opportunity to clean up either by stunlocking the purple ones with charged shots or sniping the yellow ones with super missiles.

-Finally the designers have put multiple rooms along the way where you can farm energy orbs, like the two shafts with scatter bombus or the poison filled room before the miniboss that spawns infinite puffers. You can stand here and entirely recharge your life bar which should guarantee a win against the invisible sentry drone.

So yeah I'd say the mines are in fact very well designed, they simply require an approach that tends to be anathema in most modern games, and even Souls games do it quite differently (and worse).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Admittedly I never played Turok, only saw recorded runs of it. The platforming never seemed as forgiving as in MP though, and in Metroid the double jump makes things even more lenient.
Turok is like any post-Quake 3D FPS in that sure there's jumping and indeed many of its levels require quite a bit of jumping but that doesn't mean it was anything like Prime which indeed did FPV platforming right and not just with regular FPS controls and design. Turok's was a pain. Prime's is bliss.

Especially for console gamepad controls since of course in any Quake pro PC players could do pretty much anything with mkb and no silly platform or pit would ever stop them. Quake on console in comparison played like some janky, slow, methodical horror game rather than that ultra fast pace...

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Finishing off the mines now, will end it with getting the flamethrower and head to Hall of Elders for final maguffin.

Then it's just the two big boys and Samus will be put her feet up with a cuppa.

I thought about doing a 100% run but its too late now since I didn't bother to mark down my pickups. Will do so for Prime 2 if and when it arrives, MP3 is by far my least favourite but it has a brilliant QoL thing to get 100%.

Emedan

Game has character and is dripping with atmosphere but the music is in meh teritory. It sounds like eurosynth from the 90’s or something and it doesn’t really fit the vibe of the game. Fans hyped this ost so much and complained about the music in Dread that I was expecting something better than what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️
Man I just gotta agree with this one, the music feels dated as heck, really a product of its time. I missed this one on the GC so I'm glad I get to play it, it's a great game and a great remaster.

Jsisto

Finally got around to playing the remaster. What an absolute classic. Looks amazing and runs perfectly. Still holds up remarkably well as far as I’m concerned and truly remains one of the greatest games ever. Retro are wizards and I can’t wait to see what they do with Prime 4 and possible remasters of the others? I honestly hope they don’t stray too far from the Prime 1/2 formula. It’s damn near perfect. Give me some new and unique locations, a few new power ups and I’ll be happy.

The Prime series is also super under appreciated for just how awesome a sci-fi story it is. There’s so much meat here told simply through scanning your surroundings. I love what they did with the space pirates. Not necessarily evil, just singularly focused on technological advancement/evolution with no morality whatsoever. I continue to believe Metroid would make an amazing sci-fI horror movie franchise.

Tg89

Finally got around to playing the remaster. What an absolute classic. Looks amazing and runs perfectly. Still holds up remarkably well as far as I’m concerned and truly remains one of the greatest games ever. Retro are wizards and I can’t wait to see what they do with Prime 4 and possible remasters of the others? I honestly hope they don’t stray too far from the Prime 1/2 formula. It’s damn near perfect. Give me some new and unique locations, a few new power ups and I’ll be happy.

The Prime series is also super under appreciated for just how awesome a sci-fi story it is. There’s so much meat here told simply through scanning your surroundings. I love what they did with the space pirates. Not necessarily evil, just singularly focused on technological advancement/evolution with no morality whatsoever. I continue to believe Metroid would make an amazing sci-fI horror movie franchise.
Yeah Retro absolutely nailed it with Prime.

Honestly, Nintendo has some excellent 2D > 3D franchise transitions, but this might be the most well done of all of them, imo. I really hope the rumours about Echoes coming soon are true, another classic for me but one I've spent far less time with over the years - it deserves a similar treatment to Prime, but sounds like we'll get a more simple upres. I hope Prime 4 can return the series to form - Prime 3 was a bit of a disappointment to me, though a lot of that can be attributed for the focus on motion controls.

Top Bottom