• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered |OT| Once More Through Tallon IV

Chiggs

The only downside to this remaster is that they've somehow made Samus ugly

I don't remember what the original looked like, but I will say they got the humorless eyes down perfectly. Samus is far too stoic for emotions. :messenger_neutral:

lC0ZWDr.jpg

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Just finished it, epic finale.
Easy 5/5 from me.

Its a masterpiece.

This reminded me how much better its music is compared to Metroid Dread.
Prime was phenomenal, the level design, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the progression, the music and even the lore are all the highest of the series imo.
Prime > Super > Dread

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Glad I'm not crazy, I tried all the methods, and pointer is totally the best. Wish right stick could also work as camera just for a smoother 180 full turn. But still feels the best

Do you use joy cons or pro controller for pointer?
JoyCons. Strangely enough, I never had a connection problem in 2 full runs of the game. I’ve had problems with inputs from the right JoyCon not registering in several games, but not a motion-heavy game like this one.

Trunx81

Beaten the first Phazon Mines segment without loosing a life. The poison thingies really helped to gather my Energie before the last segment. Also Chozo Ghosts seem to be a lot easier than I remember, but maybe I just got better over the years. Playing Doom definitely helped 😂

I just love this game, although sometimes some parts are way too dark. I can only play them in a darkened room, or I miss some platforms while jumping (handheld mode). Nothing to game on the beach.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've finally finished my backlog and now I can finally dive in! I've been looking forward to this since the announcement. I beat this on gamecube back in the day and I've been avoiding comparison videos for the most part so that I could experience the difference fresh.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Beaten the first Phazon Mines segment without loosing a life. The poison thingies really helped to gather my Energie before the last segment. Also Chozo Ghosts seem to be a lot easier than I remember, but maybe I just got better over the years. Playing Doom definitely helped 😂

I just love this game, although sometimes some parts are way too dark. I can only play them in a darkened room, or I miss some platforms while jumping (handheld mode). Nothing to game on the beach.
Yeah, that poison gas room is definitely there as an energy refill station before the drone mini-boss. I absolutely abused it in Hard Mode. Those Trooper pirates were wrecking me.

I suggest turning up the brightness of your TV a bit. The game shouldn’t be that dark. I remember not being much into the GameCube version because of that at first. Then I turned up the brightness on my CRT, and I loved the game ever since. You must be able to see the platforms clearly.

SCB3

I don't like the burst fire they added to beam shots, takes longer to start a beam charge. Wish i could disable it.
Yea I thought that, I actually loaded up the original and the Wii versions to see if it was always like that and nope it’s new

Trunx81

Yeah, that poison gas room is definitely there as an energy refill station before the drone mini-boss. I absolutely abused it in Hard Mode. Those Trooper pirates were wrecking me.

I suggest turning up the brightness of your TV a bit. The game shouldn’t be that dark. I remember not being much into the GameCube version because of that at first. Then I turned up the brightness on my CRT, and I loved the game ever since. You must be able to see the platforms clearly.
The drone mini boss was so much easier with twin sticks.

And I’m playing handheld only. My switch isn’t even hooked to the tv.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don't like the burst fire they added to beam shots, takes longer to start a beam charge. Wish i could disable it.
I thought the same thing. I’ve got muscle memory or something from 20 years ago and it keeps throwing me off.

Anyway, I’m in clean up the artifacts and power ups before heading into the final areas mode. Gotta say the Phazon suit looks badass with the extra reflection effects

DKPOWPOW

Wow, I actually think Metroid Prime is significantly better than its Sequels (even though they are Good games). The pacing, the environmental variety, the world connectivity and the soundtrack all really sets it above the others.

Echoes is probably my least favorite but still Good, I remember thinking the art and the world just felt very bland, I didnt really enjoy the Light/Dark mechanics, thought the Dark world was a bit lazy with it just being the same room reused after an annoying loading screen. The Screw attack and bosses were fun but I hated how they gave it to you late game, it didnt see enough play.

Im currently playing Metroid Prime 3 for the first time and Im having alot of fun (im 70% through) its already my second favorite Prime game, I think it has a lot more interesting worlds to explore than Metroid Prime 2 but its somewhat linear, small and more disconnected making it feel less like a world, I dont think this really was a great move, to me this core to the Metroid Prime Experience but it is what it is. The motion controls work pretty well even though I prefer standard controls and it opens things up to some interesting enemy designs they can make for them and the grapple numbchuck mechanic can be pretty fun but I still think the game leans in too hard on them, theres alot of meh Gimmicks imo, I prefer my motion control usage to be very infrequent or not very involved personally. The boss's and lore have been really solid in this one though and Im glad you get the Screw Attack before the halfway mark this time so I actually can use it a little. One thing I think is a move in the right direction is how this game lets you use Energy Tanks for something other than health, it makes things less linear with decision making which is appreciated.

I think the biggest problems with the sequels so far is that they are pretty derivative in the wrong ways not really evolving older core mechanics in interesting ways and when they do something different it kind of leans away from what made the original such an Amazing game. My hope for Metroid Prime 4 is that they take big steps to Evolve Metroid Prime as a series, an Open World like Botw could do alot but I also hope they put new smart spins on some of the older moves that we havent seen before that really ADD and arent just a gimmick like Motion Controls. Also please give me something else besides Missile Upgrades, I hate that after the first 5 you feel nothing.
I think Retro might take the leap of faith in a way and dramatically change the way you traverse in the world.

It will be kind of sad to see, because I do love the kind of methodical approach of the Trilogy.

I think it's too much for them to ignore, how so many First Person games since Mirror's Edge have adapted how you traverse.

Maybe we will see a real focus on Samus abilities that take advantage of that, while keeping the same focus Prime 3 had on unique combat encounters.

Essentially, a much more visceral and authentic Samus adventure from a first person perspective.

SCB3

A switch game running at 60hz on the oled screen is sooo nice. The effort put into this remaster is very apparent with the visuals and fluidity.
I can't wait to see if that rumored Zelda Switch OLED is real, it'll be great playing this on a nicer screen, I'm still using my Launch Switch

I just got the Thermal visor and at 100% collectables and scans so far, this whole sequence of fighting Metroid and Pirates in the Dark is really cool, felt a bit like a heist, and finally getting enemies that shoot back is great

Also, I started watching this Story video of the Entire series as I had litle to no idea wtf is going on in Metroid in general, turns out, its pretty fucking dark!

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think Retro might take the leap of faith in a way and dramatically change the way you traverse in the world.
I really want them to change up the formula, maybe even allow the player to choose the upgrades. Like Mandalorian, you get pieces of metal/equipment and you can change it in specific stations to armor, or weapon, or morph ball stuff. So the player chooses the adventure in a pace of his own type of thing and the world opens up in a unique way to each player like that.

Just having to collect items would be cool, yes, but I'm hoping for more.

That first dive into Phazon Mines was much worse on GameCube, believe me. Fighting that Power Bomb miniboss without free aim was the worst thing in the game. I remember failing that battle at least twice, that’s about half an hour lost each time if you want to rescan everything along the way.

The drone mini boss was so much easier with twin sticks.
Wavebuster takes him down in seconds.

nkarafo

I'm at 55% and really enjoying this.

It's a step back in some ways though. I really miss some cool effects, like in the main Chozo Ruins plaza, there was a spot where you could see the sun in the original (complete with sun flares) and if you had the thermal visor it would burn your view, but only in that exact spot. This was a good way to see the gradual burning of the visor as you move the camera. The missing beam lighting effects also makes the game look so flat at times.

Deerock71

I really want them to change up the formula, maybe even allow the player to choose the upgrades. Like Mandalorian, you get pieces of metal/equipment and you can change it in specific stations to armor, or weapon, or morph ball stuff. So the player chooses the adventure in a pace of his own type of thing and the world opens up in a unique way to each player like that.

Just having to collect items would be cool, yes, but I'm hoping for more.
It would also be nice, like in The Mandalorian, if she actually, you know, hunted bounties.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It would also be nice, like in The Mandalorian, if she actually, you know, hunted bounties.
I guess you could say she hunts space pirates. And I think that's what MP3 sorta did with the story.

After Dread I'm not confident they wanna try anything fresh, which is why the game felt so mid to me and didn't have anything exciting but the boss fights (which were ruined for me with the QTE stuff), but I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless.

SCB3

I guess you could say she hunts space pirates. And I think that's what MP3 sorta did with the story.

After Dread I'm not confident they wanna try anything fresh, which is why the game felt so mid to me and didn't have anything exciting but the boss fights (which were ruined for me with the QTE stuff), but I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless.
Yea the QTE's ruined the replay value imo, it was far to dependent on them, that and the EMMI's, they were a bit too OP and reused imo, a great game still

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Yea the QTE's ruined the replay value imo, it was far to dependent on them, that and the EMMI's, they were a bit too OP and reused imo, a great game still
Not for me, it was very average. I'd like to think that if Retro designed the game, every EMMI would have its own biome and once you defeated it you it would be this amazing place to visit. But nothing really happened once you defeated them. The places were gray and boring.

If you missed the QTEs you didn't even know you were missing some cool shit scene, or worse, in the final boss the game won't progress unless you do them. You could literally fight him for an hour without ever going to the second phase.

SCB3

Not for me, it was very average. I'd like to think that if Retro designed the game, every EMMI would have its own biome and once you defeated it you it would be this amazing place to visit. But nothing really happened once you defeated them. The places were gray and boring.

If you missed the QTEs you didn't even know you were missing some cool shit scene, or worse, in the final boss the game won't progress unless you do them. You could literally fight him for an hour without ever going to the second phase.
God yea, Raven Beak caused me many, many hours of frustration cause of that, you have to be perfect on the Parries

My amazon order got pushed back to mid March. Better not dick me around like GameStop did with my Persona 5 Royal steelbook that never arrived.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Despite being 20 years old this game is so good. I didn't want to put the Switch down last night. It's got the best music in the Metroid franchise imho. Great locations and sense of exploration as well.
This also has me hyped for whenever MP4 comes out, though I'm wondering if MP2 & 3 will get ported to Switch as well since I never got a chance to play those back in the day.

This game truly shows how poorly designed a lot of modern games are.
Disagree. Why are there no glowing arrows showing me the way and why is there no NPC giving me all the solutions to the puzzles? I got no time to think, I need my dopamine NOW.

(On a more serious note, the backtracking in the long run was never as elegant as Super Metroid, which always felt like the game's only downside.)

Last edited:
Disagree. Why are there no glowing arrows showing me the way and why is there no NPC giving me all the solutions to the puzzles? I got no time to think, I need my dopamine NOW.

(On a more serious note, the backtracking in the long run was never as elegant as Super Metroid, which always felt like the game's only downside.)
For real. Samus doesn't even quip and chatter to herself incessantly. Get with times Nintendo.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That’s the point though.
Sort of. It’s intended for players without a broken sense of direction, I suppose.

I struggle with finding where to go and it eventually gets pretty boring and a little stressful.

The odd thing is that there is a small feeling of sadness that finds me, whenever I finally find my way again. I go from being frustrated and lost to disappointed that I’ve found my way.

I am a broken gamer.

SCB3

This is a lot shorter than I remember, I've got to the Sunken Frigate (over halfway through the game) already at 100% collected and logs, and its only been about 4 hours of casual playing

I ordered a physical copy from BestBuy for launch day delivery and it says it's being delivered by Shipt (still being "packaged" or some shit).

If I had known they'd be doing that crap I'd just have done store pickup.

Top Bottom