• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
metroid-prime-remastered.jpg

Game Title: Metroid Prime Remastered

Genre: Shooter, Sci-fi, Metroidvania, action-adventure, waifu game.

Platforms: Nintendo Switch

Media: Metroid Prime Remastered - Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch

Developers:
  • Retro Studios
  • Iron Galaxy

Publisher: Nintendo

Price: $39.99 USD

Release Date: February 9, 2023

More Info: r/metroid | Wikipedia Page

Review Aggregator:​

OpenCritic: NA

MetaCritic - 97/100 [Switch]

ZDipDVk.png

Review Scores

GAMINGbible - 100/100
Metroid Prime Remastered is the Nintendo Switch game I’ve been waiting for since the console launched back in 2017, and the surprise release has somehow only managed to exceed every expectation I had for it. This is the perfect version of one of the few truly perfect video games. I only hope that everyone who wrote it off as a clunky fps or Nintendo’s answer to Halo way back when will give it another chance, and discover just how good it really is.
Nintendo Life - 10/10
With Metroid Prime Remastered, the seemingly impossible has been achieved: a masterpiece has been made even better. The minor issues we have with the motion controls and the occasional visual hiccup pale in comparison to the enhancements that have been made here. The visual improvements are extensive, right through to the minor details, and it all comes together to create one of the best-looking games on Switch, remaster or not. The new twin-stick control setup works flawlessly for both veterans and newcomers, but if you're itching to go back to the original GameCube controls, that option is there too. With an expanded gallery feature to round things out, Metroid Prime Remastered feels like a new benchmark in how older games can be thoughtfully revitalised for the modern age.
WayTooManyGames - 9.5/10.0
This is how a remaster of a Nintendo game should look, run, and play. What was already near-perfect is even better, all thanks to Retro Studios just improving upon every single aspect of the original game, making this particular version of an all-time classic the ultimate way to play it. Not to mention the fact you can now take it on-the-go. I may have one or two small issues with it, but to call them deal-breakers would be damn near blasphemous. In short, grab Metroid Prime Remastered.
Nintenderos - 9.5/10.0
Metroid Prime Remastered is the best version of the game that could have been made. An exquisite remaster that respects to the maximum all the values of the original game, elevating it to adapt it to new times and to the control schemes of Nintendo Switch in its entirety. Although we would have liked to have seen some more original content, details like its gallery full of unlockables will delight fans.
Vandal - 9.5/10.0
Metroid Prime was, is, and will continue to be an essential masterpiece that everyone with a modicum of interest and passion for this hobby should play at least once in their life, something that this new version vindicates with more force than ever thanks to to a spectacular graphical facelift and its multiple control options. We are not going to deny that the fact that it does not include its sequels has disappointed us a bit, but right now, few games you will find on Nintendo Switch or any other platform capable of rivaling this legendary adventure. Without a doubt, one of the best remasters ever made and an example to follow.
Nintenduo - 9.1/10.0
Metroid Prime Remastered is an exceptional game, impressive at all levels and the living proof that the series can be taken much further than its two-dimensional adventures. Somewhat uneven, but visually outstanding, its controls are superbly adapted to the Nintendo Switch, setting a precedent for the series.
GamePro Germany - 8.7/10.0
Metroid Prime Remastered is a brilliant reminder of why you love games
Polygon - Recommended
In Metroid Dread, you are encouraged to sprint through, keeping clear of enemies that, at the outset, you have no means of defeating. Your central relation to the game world is that of anxiety and, yes, dread. Metroid Prime, by contrast, wants you to feel inquisitive toward its lonely landscapes, to seek understanding of your enemies as much as mastery over them. Through its contemplative gameplay loop, wherein entering a new area means taking time to consider it, 20 years later, Metroid Prime might have even more to say about what it means to slow down, taking time to view the world with curiosity and wonder.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's an excellent remaster, the graphical updates are massive but also do a really excellent job of respecting the original art direction, which is really hard to do. And playing with modern controls feels intuitive like it always should have been. Some QoL improvements would be nice but in general, excellent job.

I don't really know if I agree that Metroid Prime is still a 9 out of 10 game after 20 years. Metroid Prime got away with some of its tedium and aimless backtracking because the idea of exploring this big interconnected world in 3D was so novel, but in hindsight it can drag a bit at times.

But critical reappraisal of the core game aside, really excellent job by Retro and Iron Galaxy, the game looks and runs fantastic.

MOTM

Banned
Nobody who appreciates videogames should need a review for this one.

If you haven't played it, go get it. Simple as.
I don’t have a Switch but thinking about getting one short term just to play this.

Otherwise unfortunately I’ll have to miss this 😔

Kaachan

This game is fantastic in every single way and the graphical upgrade is gorgeous. Feel like they did themselves a disservice by calling it a remaster

splattered

Daaaamn! Loved this forever ago and only beat it once. Surprised to see the crazy high scores considering it's an older game. So this is digital only right now?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is the kind of person that can take humanity to new lows.

The guy managed to get stuck in Dread, which is the most linear Metroid game ever. He is going to rage a lot with Prime, as there are many instances where the player is supposed to backtrack and remember interesting places worth revisiting.

What? Most linear? Did you *play* Metroid Fusion? Or Metroid Other M? Or Metroid II? Dread is by no means the most linear.

Otherwise completely agree with you.

cireza

Banned
What? Most linear? Did you *play* Metroid Fusion? Or Metroid Other M? Or Metroid II? Dread is by no means the most linear.

Otherwise completely agree with you.
I played all Metroid games. The problem with Dread is that it is constantly putting you on the right track. Even though Fusion forces you to visit regions in other, you still have to find your way in each of them and the world eventually opens up a lot. Favorite game of the series.

Also Dread is not cleverly interconnected as other 2D Metroid were. You cannot go seamlessly from a region to another, you have to use teleporters and elevators.

Not saying that it is bad, but it disappointing in that regard.

Bragr

Banned
Issues I have:

- Scanning.
- Some dated enemy A.I. on the Space pirates, they got a tendency to struggle with moving around some objects naturally, sometimes they will just be standing around in the middle of a fight.
- Some of the battles get so cramped and chaotic that you have no idea what is going on, you just have to lock on and blast.
- With no fast travel, sometimes you have to run through the entire map to find a door.

It's the same problems I had with the original. It's not enough to seriously hurt the game.

BlackTron

Yeah, and he’s taking a jab at the people who gave him shit for it. At least that’s what I think he’s doing.

The battle for GOTY between Prime and TOTK will be legendary. Whichever wins, Nintendo has the GOTY secured.

When Nintendo shows up with a self-titled remaster of a 20 year old game, and its biggest competition for GOTY is another game they have coming out.

On a 2017 tablet. Unstoppable.

Porcile

Interesting how in the space of a month we get Goldeneye and Metroid Prime re-releases; two Nintendo FPSs made by western studios that except for their sequels made by the same team, pretty much remain the only examples of their genre. And are still both in ways far more innovative and creative than any other FPS since their release. It's a real shame Nintendo doesn't have an appetite for these kind of games.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’ve heard there is a lot of backtracking near the end of the game…

Are there any tips to alleviate this?
Items I can keep an eye out for early on, so as to avoid backtracking?

I hate reading maps and getting completely lost in Metroidvanias. I know that’s part of the experience but to a fault at some point.

Any tips?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It's a 9.5/10, only because they didn't fix the ice shriekbat disappearing after getting the thermal visor so you can't get 100% scan.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I’ve heard there is a lot of backtracking near the end of the game…

Are there any tips to alleviate this?
Items I can keep an eye out for early on, so as to avoid backtracking?

I hate reading maps and getting completely lost in Metroidvanias. I know that’s part of the experience but to a fault at some point.

Any tips?
You could go to the Chozo temple pretty early (from your ship site) and get all the hint to the artifacts and get them as you get other items.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm trying to remember whether I liked Metroid Prime the first time or not, I think I did, but it's not one that I've thought fondly of in the intervening years.

And yet, I've got preorder (physical edition) tabs open.

EDIT: It's done.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

pre ordered physical

Cant wait!
Well, looks like you're gonna have to. They seem to be sticking to the 22nd date despite having the 13th (or as soon as available policy) previously listed.

Seems like retailers want fair competition and/or Nintendo wants to get as many double dippers as possible.

Getting this is a dream come true. Prime was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had in my 35 years of gaming. I was mad at myself for selling my gamecube back in the day so getting this on Switch in the form of a really solid remaster? It heals my soul a little bit!

Now we just need Wind Waker and Twighlight Princess and I won't feel so terrible about selling that awesome console. Not sure which hurt more, not being able to play Metroid or both Gamecube Zeldas ...

I'm still so mad at myself though. Eternal Darkness? Sold. Mario Sunshine? Sold. Luigis Mansion? Smash Bros melee, Viewtiful Joe? The pain!

MP was so legendary because it skipped the entire N64 generation so people were starting to really clamor for a 3d Metroid. Reminds me of Ocarina of Time in that way; both beloved franchises with a long ass wait for a new entry and both games were as good as one could ever hope for. Magical.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So I just got a survey from Nintendo asking me about the game.

They have a few questions with the option to put the improved graphics in as your answer. So unless you just want a 1080p upressed version of Metroid Prime 2, I would make sure to answer you like the improved graphics as a major selling point.

Interesting how in the space of a month we get Goldeneye and Metroid Prime re-releases; two Nintendo FPSs made by western studios that except for their sequels made by the same team, pretty much remain the only examples of their genre. And are still both in ways far more innovative and creative than any other FPS since their release. It's a real shame Nintendo doesn't have an appetite for these kind of games.

Journey To The Savage Planet is another good FPS metroidvania. Only one I can think of though.

eh, still have the gamecube version, recently beat prime 3 and dread... think ill just wait for prime 4.

game looks good though, and surprised it's only $40.

Raven117

Gold Member
In the first Metroid game you had to bomb certain blocks without knowledge which one to bomb to progress I believe.
Its a joke.

The first Metroid, sometimes you had to fire a missile or bomb a certain square to progress (and there was little indication of where to shoot or bomb...it felt very random).

unclbenn

What does he mean?

jaffe's just poking fun at himself because he got stuck in metroid dread. i got stuck a couple times in dread as well, it was my first metroid and didnt know that certain blocks that dont look destructible were actually destructible. if anything, these hidden destructible blocks should have only been used for secret paths and not the main story path.

Yoshi97

I really hate Jim's takes sometimes... Feel like he literally lowered the score (of his review) because of the credits controversy.

Top Bottom