• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered Was Possibly Completed Years Ago

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to some newly surfaced regulatory filings, it would appear that Metroid Prime Remastered was possibly also placed on ice after Retro Studios and its sister companies completed their work on the game. German content rating agency USK classified the title in July 2021, 18 months ahead of its surprise release. The Australian arts ministry also lists the game as a 2021 production, although its own classification was only finalized last November. Neither regulator is in the habit of disclosing original filing dates of classification requests because publishers attach short-term confidentiality petitions to their game rating submissions whenever those precede official announcements, which is a frequent occurrence in the industry.

This newly surfaced context adds more credence to 2021 reports that suggested the Metroid Prime trilogy Switch port announcement is just a matter of time. According to more recent rumors, the still-unconfirmed Switch versions of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will be straightforward remasters. In contrast, the recently debuted "remaster" of the original game ended up being more akin to a remake, with Retro Studios committing to a complete asset overhaul, in addition to delivering new controls and some other quality-of-life improvements.

It's worth pointing out that game classification boards don't always review finished products. For example, both the USK and Australia's entertainment rating agency allow submissions of playable demos, though even those aren't mandatory, as per their official policies. The regulators instead only require final game design documentation—including narrative scripts, character dialogue, asset descriptions, and the like—in order to classify a product.

In other words, the sole fact that Nintendo started submitting Metroid Prime Remastered for content ratings two years ago doesn't necessarily guarantee the game was already finished back then. Especially given how this wasn't a new title, but one based on design documentation from more than 20 years ago.

Robb

Gold Member
Wouldn’t surprise me, seems like Nintendo holds off on projects quite a lot these days and releases them when they feel the timing is right. Wouldn’t surprise me if they have a finished version of Mario Kart 9 ready.

Makes sense I guess since Switch is doing so well, they have the luxury of not being under much pressure for now.

Tams

Gold Member
Clickbait title OP.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Elysion

Banned
Makes me wonder what other games Nintendo has already finished that they’re just waiting to release. The next Mario? That rumored Donkey Kong game? A Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster? TWW and TP remakes?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This is why we had repeated leaks about the game for years. I vaguely remember some insider even stating that the game was done a while ago.

Dane

Didn't Grubb and Rogers say back then that Nintendo had finished games that for some reason had not been announced? FE Engage was rumored to be completed and then some images with the chinese language option were leaked months before its announcement. Then days after its launch the same rating boards have informed that it was rated around a year before.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Makes me wonder what other games Nintendo has already finished that they’re just waiting to release. The next Mario? That rumored Donkey Kong game? A Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster? TWW and TP remakes?

I wouldn't be surprised if Pikmin 4 is done already. Also don't forget they sat on Advance Wars for almost a year.

Ever since combining their handheld dev teams with their console teams they've become much more efficient at putting out games in a timely fashion. So much that they can litterally sit on completed games for months on end

Last edited:
They released like 10 first party games last year, or something close to that. Delaying it makes sense, and you want to probably have it be somewhat near Prime 4 to help with cross promotion.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I had heard it was.going to be released immanently years ago as well (like before Prime was rebooted), but I think it's possible it was rescoped and improved rather than simply put on ice. I had originally heard it was going to be Trilogy, but I also didn't think it was gonna be as much of a remake as it is.

But Nintendo does often finish games and sit on them until they think the timing is right. It's possible both things are true -- they rescoped it after Prime 4 was rebooted, and still finished it 18 months ago.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, Nintendo always wanted to get to this point... They wanted to unify their dev teams just so they can have such a bizarre strategy and it seems to work so far, Switch has almost never lacked games, save for some months in its second year and in covid year

Shut0wen

Nintendos being doing this for years now, pikmin 4 got confirmed back in 2017 as being half way in development, wouldnt be surprised if its been completed since 2019, fire emblem enage had been 90% complete by 2019, originally mewnt to be a 3ds game got transitioned to switch and had been completed since 2021, we already know wind waker and twilight princess are done wouldnt be surprised if the rest of the trilogy is done and will release from now till 2025 until the next metroid game is out

Mr Hyde

Nintendo sits on their games all the time. In the case of MP remastered it's because MP 4 is soon ready to be shown and they want to drum up hype for that one.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That's actually very smart on Nintendo's part, you keep having your stuff way ahead of time and you're able to pivot more easily when needed. I'm sure Zelda: TotK is prob done already, probably even last year, but they moved the date for marketing reasons. They needed to push Switches.

Astral Dog

probably

Not that it matters much, Nintendo thought this would be a good time to release this title, and that's a valid reason as any, because Metroid Prime 4 shouldn't be too far off
if it was completed a year ago it means this team has been busy remastering the other games 🤞

Ps they also been sitting on Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD for Switch

Shut0wen

Well, Nintendo always wanted to get to this point... They wanted to unify their dev teams just so they can have such a bizarre strategy and it seems to work so far, Switch has almost never lacked games, save for some months in its second year and in covid year
Exactly, Nintendo wants at least one game per season

This is all pretty well known, at this point. Nintendo held onto it until they had a solid plan for when Prime 4 would be ready, and launching it strategically before Prime 4, but not too long before it. Also, in general, in the Switch generation it is not at all unusual for Nintendo to sit on finished or nearly-finished games, in order to space out their releases. One of the benefits of only developing for one platform instead of two.

SaintALia

Yeah, that's what all the leakers were saying, hence why people were calling them out as liars. That MP remake was finished and Nintendo was just sitting on it without even announcing it was in the works.

Announcing and shadow dropping on the same day is pretty weird though, even for Nintendo. They'll sit on games or shadow drop them, but they usually don't do that for bigger titles, they'd at least announce and let pre-orders roll in.

I wonder what's the real reason. Something to do with the pandemic/Retro itself/maybe Prime 4/schedule filler?

Griffon

They could have easily gotten the rating before finishing the remastering work (it could have been in a good enough playable state before the new graphical rework).

Last edited:

Chiggs

According to more recent rumors, the still-unconfirmed Switch versions of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will be straightforward remasters

Again, completely unconfirmed rumors.

Gambit2483

Maybe Nintendo wanted the entire trilogy ready, but decided against.
And miss the chance to charge for each game individually??

Most likely they are using the Remake/Remaster to grab old and new fans alike back into the series and then drop MP2 and MP3 later this year once they've become fully invested in the franchise once again and to get them Primed for the 4th installment. That's my guess.

Last edited:

BlackTron

And miss the chance to charge for each game individually??

Most likely they are using the Remake/Remaster to grab old and new fans alike back into the series and then drop MP2 and MP3 later this year once they've become fully invested in the franchise once again and to get them Primed for the 4th installment. That's my guess.

I also heard though, that plans were for Retro to also remaster 2 and 3, but plans changed when they were tasked with taking over Prime 4's troubled development. So who knows the full behind the scenes story here and what the cadence of releases will be. Maybe we will get 4 next, and then 2/3 remasters on better hardware to fill the gap till the next one.

AJUMP23

Nintendo sits on games. They can complete it and shelve it until they need to. Pixar sits on movies. Nintendo has a release schedule and they hold things until they need them.

Puscifer

Gold Member
I thought this was confirmed years ago but it was shuttered due to the fact the drop/announcement was ruined over retro having to take over MP4?

BlackTron

Nintendo sits on games. They can complete it and shelve it until they need to. Pixar sits on movies. Nintendo has a release schedule and they hold things until they need them.

This. Nintendo is not desperate to push a game out the second its ready. They have a plan, and usually you get all your shit in order in advance so you're prepared and have options to adjust course.

LoveCake

I wonder if Nintendo just decided to put this out in place of Metroid Prime 4 which will be a launch title for Switch replacement.

cireza

Banned
This simply demonstrate how much control they have over their business. They are already shelving games for their next console, obviously.

RAIDEN1

They can bring out a Metroid Prime remastered but not a F-Zero GX remastered....as bad as Sega with Daytona 2

Bragr

Banned
I see no way they are gonna work on upgrading 2 and 3 on the scale of this one.

They were likely working on this remaster for a while, maybe even before they got Prime 4 on their shoulders.

I don't expect any sort of trilogy release or any version of 2 and 3 anytime soon. This remaster is it, this is what we get.

Considering 4 is on the way and we just got Dread, that is fine.

Bragr

Banned
They can bring out a Metroid Prime remastered but not a F-Zero GX remastered....as bad as Sega with Daytona 2
That game bombed, even if it was fantastic. The first F-Zero was the only one that sold well. There is just no priority for this.

There are some rumblings of a new F-Zero, but I doubt that's anything we will see on the current Switch.

Gambit2483

I see no way they are gonna work on upgrading 2 and 3 on the scale of this one.

They were likely working on this remaster for a while, maybe even before they got Prime 4 on their shoulders.

I don't expect any sort of trilogy release or any version of 2 and 3 anytime soon. This remaster is it, this is what we get.

Considering 4 is on the way and we just got Dread, that is fine.
Hmm I could see them releasing MP2 in July and MP3 in September/October. Use it to fill in the gaps of the slower months after TOTK, esp if they are just straight ports

Kataploom

Gold Member
I
Hmm I could see them releasing MP2 in July and MP3 in September/October. Use it to fill in the gaps of the slower months after TOTK, esp if they are just straight ports
I actually don't see them releasing them so quickly, they would want to avoid franchise fatigue, but if MP4 is about to get released, I see no other way around... Unless it's further than we think

Top Bottom