• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS Producer Noriaki Okamura says: ''2023 will be a year of many Announcements! Including ''LONG-AWAITED TITLE''

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
maxresdefault.jpg

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

RaduN

MGS is Konami’s series. Always has been, always will be. Like movies someone else can come in, direct, and make an another great product.

Could also suck for a while as they get the right person.
Nah, it may work for franchises like Marvel or other by the numbers movies or series, but MGS is completely different.
It's one of the most deeply auteuristic works in modern AAA media entertainment. Kojima plans, writes, directs, edits, partly designs and produces every single game he works on. Cameron and Tarantino come to mind when it comes similar level of involvement and auteur has, in huge productions like these.

You can't have a Tarantino movie without Tarantino doing it, now can you..

Also MGS spoke its piece. This is not some parallel universes/time machine story that you can stretch to infinity..and beyond, and then do it all over again with different characters and shit like that.
Even though we live in times where absolutely everything has to have a 20 sequels plan, mini-series for each character and 10 reboots, MGS seems to have dodged the bullet so far.

//DEVIL//

Do we always ahve to wait until someone is dead before someone else takes over? I think Kojima lost it a long time ago and actually hasn't writting anything astounding since MGS3. He's just way to much up his own ass. No one else can write shit like him and go through with it - and I think that MGS would be much better off with all the nonsense he has written in after MGS3. So I'd say lets give someone else a go.
I don't agree.

Death stranding has an awesome story. Makes you want to play to understand what the fuck is going on.

But just like every awesome story director, not everything is gold. Sometimes shit hit the fans. I would say 5 was his weakest ?

But then how much you can blame him for when the game budget was cut by Konami mid development and he was almost locked in without even doing interviews ( maybe he exceeded the budget who knows ) . Just in general he is really awesome story teller.

However I do agree with you. Metal gear needs to move on to someone else. He is not the only one who has good story telling and Kojima is never touching the metal gear again, so either kill a beloved series or give it a chance with someone else.

However, here it's either a remaster of the collection or remake, I don't have high hopes for a sequel

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This needs to be more than a simple port of MGS 1-3, which can already be played perfectly on Xbox.

We’ve been teased with 4-5 MGS revival rumors a year, for the past 5-6 years and
I’m exhausted by it.

It’s my favorite game series and I just can’t take the constant fake-outs anymore. Remake something, give us a sequel/spin-off sequel, or at least just give us MGS4.

mdkirby

Meh, I’ve tried and failed to play a few metal gear games over the years. Probably not a popular opinion but I’ll take more death stranding any day over metal gear.

Neff

Kojima really, really isn't the only person in the world able to write a decent spy thriller story.

True, but there's more to Kojima games than the story. There's the ridiculous attention to detail, the amount of player freedom embedded in even the smallest of functions, the trivia/fact-laden tangents he can't help but stuff his dialogue with, the obsession with science, evolution, biology and technology, and of course the gratuitous tits 'n' ass.

That said, gaming is full of examples of franchises which continued to endure and innovate in lieu of their parent. So long as there's an understanding of what made the series appealing and unique in the first place, then it's just a matter of sticking to it.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Hard to imagine a remade version of Metal Gear Solid.

Would it play like MGS4, essentially? Because I could definitely get behind that but it’d very different from the original.

I guess that’s what’s the term “remake” is for and they may just lift the spirit and general story.

Or do you expect them to just a brand new coat of paint over, in the vein of Metroid Prime Remsstered?

Fingers crossed for real-life nano machines.

Hard to imagine a remade version of Metal Gear Solid.

Would it play like MGS4, essentially? Because I could definitely get behind that but it’d very different from the original.

I guess that’s what’s the term “remake” is for and they may just lift the spirit and general story.

Or do you expect them to just a brand new coat of paint over, in the vein of Metroid Prime Remsstered?

I figure it would be the game remade in the Fox engine, and play like one long MGS5 mission, without any of the open world, base, and resource gathering stuff.

A graphical overhaul alone wouldn't cut it imo. MGS is one of my top 5 games of all time, but you couldn't release a game that plays like that today. They even realized it back in the early 2000s when they rereleased mgs3 with an alternative camera.

Seems like every month, someone who worked on Metal Gear appears to tease something or some insider leaks a rumour of an announcement within a few weeks and.... Nothing happens. I wish people will stop listening to these clowns and not pay them any attention until they put together and actual announcement & trailer

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The one problem with a Remake is the fear of what they'll "update for modern audiences"

What could they possible "update". Metal Gear is timeless!!
Meryl will be more capable than Snake, and you wont be able to recognize her in disguise just from looking at her ass.

Also, he's not in disguise at all, you bigot. He's transitioned.

Hopefully Konami would use a Japanese development team though so we should be ok.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Both MLiD and NXGamer stated they've heard from multiple people now that the MGS Remake is in development. Time stamped link
Konami just announced that they'll bring Silent Hill back big time with multiple games. Silent Hill... and people really question if some kind of MGS Remake/Reboot is in the works????

It's just a matter of time before it is announced. I just hope that some more well know studios are working on MGS. I really, really, really hope that the Bluepoint Remake rumour turns out to be true.

Konami just announced that they'll bring Silent Hill back big time with multiple games. Silent Hill... and people really question if some kind of MGS Remake/Reboot is in the works????

It's just a matter of time before it is announced. I just hope that some more well know studios are working on MGS. I really, really, really hope that the Bluepoint Remake rumour turns out to be true.
I think the difference is that Silent Hill has been split across many developers for a long time, and not the passion project of gaming's most famous auteur (except for one dismal spinoff).

To a lot of people, Kojima IS Metal Gear.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think the difference is that Silent Hill has been split across many developers for a long time, and not the passion project of gaming's most famous auteur (except for one dismal spinoff).

To a lot of people, Kojima IS Metal Gear.
I think many people overestimate Kojima as a brand. MGS will do just fine without him. The franchise is bigger than Kojima. Just look at Death Stranding. Sales were lower than Sony expected from what I've heard. Zone of the Enders? Boktai? Same thing. Mediocre to low sales despite coming from Kojima.

MGS without Kojima.
No One Page GIF

Probably the best thing to happen to the franchise. It was helmed by a guy that hated working on the title ever since MGS2 (his words). Then the writing became so nonsensical, I think he lost his best writers and started taking random pieces from any movie he sees and deems cool to add into his games. MGS5 had an addicting gameplay but the story was utter unfinished trash. Empty open world with repeating missions and random soldiers just so that 3 hours later you would get one cutscene.

MGS Survive isnt a mainline game nor does it have any proper story, its just some spinoff similar to arcade games so I wont judge that, Konami probably just wanted some quick buck to cover the abysmal costs of MGS 5 and use the fox engine at least once more instead of developing it for years just for it to be useless afterwards.

Last edited:
I think many people overestimate Kojima as a brand. MGS will do just fine without him. The franchise is bigger than Kojima. Just look at Death Stranding. Sales were lower than Sony expected from what I've heard. Zone of the Enders? Boktai? Same thing. Mediocre to low sales despite coming from Kojima.
We'll see. Based on Survive Metal Gear has decidedly not done "just fine" without Kojima.

The Kojima headed Death Stranding has sold at least 10 million, whereas the Metal Gear branded Survive has (very optimistically) sold 1m

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We'll see. Based on Survive Metal Gear has decidedly not done "just fine" without Kojima.

The Kojima headed Death Stranding has sold at least 10 million, whereas the Metal Gear branded Survive has (very optimistically) sold 1m
But Survive was a bad game and online focused. If Kojima would have made the same game it would have bombed.
If Konami gives someone else the task to make a propper single player, story focused Metal Gear it would sell, I guarantee it.

But Survive was a bad game and online focused. If Kojima would have made the same game it would have bombed.
If Konami gives someone else the task to make a propper single player, story focused Metal Gear it would sell, I guarantee it.
Yeah, but Kojima would not have made the same game. That's the point. He was the barrier between Konami's otherwise intensely focused pachinko machine directive, and the Player.

Barring possibly passible soccer games, Konami has not put out a half decent non-Kojima title since Lords of Shadow 2, 9 years ago.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Kojima would not have made the same game. That's the point. He was the barrier between Konami's otherwise intensely focused pachinko machine directive, and the Player.

Barring possibly passible soccer games, Konami has not put out a half decent non-Kojima title since Lords of Shadow 2, 9 years ago.

I love when people mention the pachinko saga. Do you know that since firing Kojima and them going full on pachinko business model, they have been more profitable than ever. You can hail Kojima as a director all you want but he was bleeding the company dry, go look YT videos of behind the scenes and making of MGS 5. He ordered ton or music royalties on songs that were never used, like 50 of them....thats millions down the trash. The game was almost ready to go GOLD and he decided in the last minute to completely change dialogue and actors for the role, again a ton of money just thrown out. Guy is a loose canon with other people money. Once you realize that there is a business to be run, Konami wont go under because of one visionary. If it was my business Id do the same. If people will talk about financials, then go and look deeper at the numbers, Konami wasnt afloat because of MGS, they are making way more money elsewhere. MGS was at best to cover salaries.

Same as Valve...everyone knows them for Half-Life...why isnt there a third game, because they make more money elsewhere, the game sales are a drop in a bucket compared to Steam sales. So you can laugh at the pachinko business, but that pachinko machine makes profit in 1 year that not even 5 MGS games did in their lifetime.

Last edited:
I love when people mention the pachinko saga. Do you know that since firing Kojima and them going full on pachinko business model, they have been more profitable than ever. You can hail Kojima as a director all you want but he was bleeding the company dry, go look YT videos of behind the scenes and making of MGS 5. He ordered ton or music royalties on songs that were never used, like 50 of them....thats millions down the trash. The game was almost ready to go GOLD and he decided in the last minute to completely change dialogue and actors for the role, again a ton of money just thrown out. Guy is a loose canon with other people money. Once you realize that there is a business to be run, Konami wont go under because of one visionary. If it was my business Id do the same. If people will talk about financials, then go and look deeper at the numbers, Konami wasnt afloat because of MGS, they are making way more money elsewhere. MGS was at best to cover salaries.

Same as Valve...everyone knows them for Half-Life...why isnt there a third game, because they make more money elsewhere, the game sales are a drop in a bucket compared to Steam sales. So you can laugh at the pachinko business, but that pachinko machine makes profit in 1 year that not even 5 MGS games did in their lifetime.
As a consumer, and not an investor, what the fuck do I care?

Sure their bottom line might look better, but I care about games, not Konami's profits. If it's such a terrible strain on their business, sell the video game rights to someone who can actually maximize on them. Publishers would be lining up for MGS, Castlevania, and Silent Hill.

AREYOUOKAY?

All this hype... Could it be that
A NEXT METAL GEAR IS...
Wait a minute don't tell me that I've arrived at the carnival of stupid again.

Yoboman

The way to make MGS work again

Give it to one director who has a unique voice and is not trying to impersonate Kojima

Retain Solid Snake and stealth gameplay but build the rest from scratch. Essentially a reboot with its own story and timeline. Leave Kojimas MGS as it was

Start small. Build some indie level projects before going full AAA MGS game and get us to know and trust the new guy in charge before taking on MGS

Top Bottom