• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV's story is severely underrated... (Franchise Spoilers)

Roni

Gold Member
I've thought about making this thread for a while now... Every time I did, however, I've always hesitated due to the absolute disapproval MGSV's story gets in every MGS thread I read. Thinking my arguments would fall on deaf ears unless they were extremely well built and fact-checked, and realizing I probably had more productive things to do with my time instead of spending over two of months laying out said arguments, I never did it. I thought: "that's OK, someone else will get to it".

Thing is, it's 2018 and no one got to it yet. At least I haven't read that thread, if it is around. I still don't have the time to do the 2-month research, but I thought I'd at least get the ball rolling with this thread. The thread openly talks about spoilers for ALL games of the Metal Gear franchise. Join the conversation if you have played all of the games or if you just don't care.

You see, when Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain first launched back in 2015, I was among the small group of people that considered it a masterpiece both in terms of story and gameplay. There were those who hated the game and there were those who loved the game, but both sides pretty much agreed that MGSV's story wasn't spectacular. Some even claiming it was the worst story in the series.

I think differently, radically differently.

MGSV's story is one of the best and most ambitious (and even thematically relevant) in the series, rivaling the awesome story in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - a title itself controversial at release. If you're willing to hear me out, let's jump right into it:

Premise #1: Kojima cares. You may dislike Kojima games, you may find his genre boring, you may even dislike his taste for the dramatic. What his work objectively doesn't allow you to say is that he doesn't care about his story and his fans. The man has bent over backwards and worked under the most ridiculous constraints & conditions to bring players original themes within the canon he's established over the years. He's stuck with a painfully simple game he designed back in 1987 and built an entire franchise around it, not once taking the liberty of saying: "Yeah, that whole game didn't happen anymore", which would've been the easier path to tread. He designed a full-fledged sequel to Metal Gear Solid 4 on a portable game system, taking the constraints of that platform in stride and creating, arguably, the most complete title of the PSP's library. He may have to retcon things, he may even require players to not stick as closely to what has been said in previous games - making good use of the fact Metal Gear is a series rooted in lies and deception. But the man definitely does his best to respect the fans who have played his games.

Premise #2: Kojima is a visionary. Time and again, the man has seen ahead and worked to materialize something that didn't yet exist in our medium. Be it propelling the stealth genre into the mainstream with the original Metal Gear, creating one of the best video game thrillers at the time with Metal Gear 2, introducing cinematic storytelling with MGS, using the medium's traits to make an extremely relevant point some 15 years ahead of time with MGS2, creating one of the most emotional tales in video game history with MGS3, subverting all of our expectations in MGS4 or creating, from the ground up, an extremely high-caliber portable game. The man seizes every opportunity he has to innovate.

Premise #3: MGSV is an incomplete game. That's just a fact, but ask any developer and they will tell you that every game is ultimately incomplete. The challenge in making a game is knowing where to stop. Given that Kojima cares and that he clearly strives to push the medium forward with every new project he takes on, it seems reasonable to assume he must've tried his best to connect everything together, even if that meant being economical and using as few strands as possible in that connection.

With these premises at hand, I'd like to make the point that MGSV's story is the antithesis to the ordinary plot you'd find in most games. You see, most game stories work in service of taking the player through a satisfying emotional ride. There may be betrayals, plot twists and complications; but the player almost always reaches a climax that results in some form of closure. In most instances where that doesn't happen, it can be attributed to an oversight or an error by the developer's part. But life, as we all know it, doesn't always play out as if we're the hero.

Not all of our friends are easy-going, hard-working and extremely supportive.
Not all relationships end well.
Not all of our struggles are just.
Not all stories lead to a satisfying conclusion.

Sometimes, life just tramples over us, and we're left to pick-up the pieces in its wake.

I'd like to make the point that MGSV's story is precisely about that: a story designed to evoke all different shades of pain. Let's focus on how each character in MGSV is designed to expose the player to something negative:

Skull Face is the main antagonist of the game. He's a bureaucratic villain that captures and tortures Chico, a child that lived in your base. Not only forcing Chico to watch as he beat and raped Paz, the girl he loved, but also forcing him to participate in her torture. Contributing to her suffering and agony. He also destroys MSF's Mother Base by the end of Ground Zeroes. Essentially taking your Peace Walker save file and deleting it. He's personally responsible for you being in a coma for 9 years, losing your left arm and suffering brain damage due to a massive piece of shrapnel being stuck in your head. He's also responsible for the deaths of everyone in the hospital you wake up in and for Miller's capture and mutilation. Skull Face has been a constant source of suffering for everyone you know. He's the target, the devil. If you follow the story closely, there's no way you don't hate him. And yet, his demise is quick and mostly painless - not only because of his parasite treatment, but also because Huey puts a bullet in his head and destroys his brain. He's designed to make players experience the pain of how unfulfilling revenge ultimately is.

Miller is your closest friend, a man who has lost everything, just like you. His outlook on life, however, isn't as neutral as Venom's. Miller becomes obssessed with revenge, fueled by rage and hatred. He hates those who wronged him and builds his life around ensuring they pay him back. This makes him completely paranoid: he is constantly at odds with Ocelot, he places armed sentries to point weapons at Venom himself, he even puts up posters that say 'Big Boss is watching!' to drive home the point that all will be under scrutiny and under constant evaluation. Miller's designed to make players experience the pain of losing a relationship because of trauma and loss - especially when you contrast who Miller was in Peace Walker and who he's become in V.

Huey is a coward and a sociopath who is perfectly comfortable lying and trying to manipulate those around him so that he doesn't have to deal with the consequences of his actions. He spent 9 years attempting to create the perfect Metal Gear for the ones who destroyed your base, only to be recaptured and claim he's always been on your team. To sell you that lie, he grasps at whatever he can: that they didn't give him a choice, that Sahelanthropus face had a Skull just like MSF's, because he never stopped thinking about them... All the while, as the story progresses, more and more information is extracted from him. Because he knows more, way more. Because he did betray Venom and his friends 9 years ago. When he's led to finally crack, he takes steps to ensure the only person who could ever incriminate him is dead. He shoots Skull Face in the head not because he wants revenge, but because with Skull Face truly dead, no one else could tell the tale of what happened during those 9 years. He then proceeds to mutate the vocal cord parasites on purpose. Oh, and let's not forget he deliberately hid Strangelove's involvement in his project in an attempt to hide the fact that he killed the mother of his own son. Huey is designed to make players experience the pain of being manipulated by someone, all the while not having enough evidence to pass accurate judgement.

Code Talker is a scientist who was blackmailed by Skull Face to further develop the vocal cord parasites. In an attempt to protect his tribe, he kept making the threat to his tribe bigger and bigger. Code Talker is designed to make the player experience the pain of living your life while pressured by others.

Eli is one of Snake's clone. He resents Big Boss after learning his just a copy of him. His 'lust for revenge' surpasses even that of Skull Face's. Making his bond with Angering Mantis stronger than everyone else's. He uses this power to steal Sahelanthropus and a sample of the final English vocal cord parasite strain and escape with the children Diamong Dogs was trying to help. Eli disappears, only to be found and dealt with after the game's ending. He is designed to make the player feel the pain of unfinished business, the frustration that comes from the lack of proper closure.

Quiet is designed as a sexy, useful and silent sniper. You may believe her design is sexist, and I wouldn't disagree, but the reason why she's this Anime wetdream is far more interesting than her actual clothes. Kojima knows his audience and he wanted as many players as possible to like Quiet: which is why she's pretty to look at, openly shows interest in Venom, is super useful in gameplay and spends most of the game without uttersing a single opinion. If you've played MGSV to completion, you'll know that Quiet leaves Venom permanently. Quiet is designed to make the player experience the pain of abandonment. And given how many players were looking for ways not to lose her or to get her back when the game came out, I'd say this is the experience Kojima was most succesful in conveying.

Ocelot in MGSV is playing a character, just like he did in every other Metal Gear game he's ever been in, the only difference here is that Ocelot is playing himself. In the end, Ocelot is revealed not to be really working for Venom, but for the real Snake. He's been pretending to be your friend, and your 'left-hand' man through self-hypnosis. A process not unlike the one he's applied on Venom himself, erasing his identity and imposing Snake's memories on top of his own. Ocelot killed everything you ever truly were, erased memories of everything you've ever loved. All in Snake's name. Ocelot doesn't really care about Venom as a person, only as a tool for keeping the real Snake safe. Ocelot is designed to make the player feel the pain of betrayal by someone thought to be a close friend.

The real Snake is almost entirely absent from the game, aside from Missions 0 and 46 and some of the truth tapes. Snake goes along with Zero and Ocelot's plans to turn the player into Venom, showing no remorse for his fate. Snake is designed to make the player experience the pain of disillusion.

Zero is also absent from the entire game, but the tape where he visits Snake in the hospital show how their friendship could have ended differently if they had one more chance to talk. Zero is designed to make the player experience the pain of hesitation.

It is my belief that MGSV's story is brilliant precisely because it reinforces these themes so elegantly. No human interaction is every truly fulfilling or useful because everyone is so up in their heads, worried about their own pain and their own problems. Venom can't get through to Miller because he's sure Quiet is a problem, Skull Face can't really convince Venom of his work because Venom is already intent on taking him down after everything he's seen. Skull Face can't keep Code Talker in line because he's become too bitter after losing everything. The problem is the game is so effective at making the player feel these inadequacies, that the feeling they evoke is projected back onto the game itself.

MGSV gets a bad reputation because it is so successful at emotionally undermining the player, which is what it was designed to do.

Thanks for reading up until this checkpoint. This is just focusing on the theme of Pain. I've also got thoughts on the game's overall plot, which I also think is amazing, and I shall expand on them further if there's enough interested in it. Hope to hear your thoughts on the game and engage in some interesting debate!

Last edited:

120v

i'd rate the story N/A out of 10. what was there was great, but it's sort of like moving into an extravagant home where the flooring isn't done some walls aren't painted.

luckily the gameplay is so sublime i still recommend the game in spite of it all. and all in all i think it rounded big boss' backstory pretty well, probably the best conclusion to hope for considering konami will probably never touch legit Metal Gear canon again

Denton

Impressive write-up, I would definitely be interested to read more.
Personally I was pleasantly surprised by the story; after all the online hate what I got was way more interesting and ambitious than I expected.

I started playing the game a few weeks ago and while I REALLY love the game play, Im not that enthralled by the story TBH. This may be largely due to me spending so much time screwing around in the open world that I dont often see (or remember) the cut scenes that best drive the story. I mostly just like killing stuff.

I've not read your post yet, will save it for later, but I'd like to share my thoughts, maybe I'll think differently after reading it.

For me the story was interesting in the moment but after all was said and done I was left with a feeling of "what was the point?"

If we weren't playing as Big Boss all along, then V is a side story at best that has no real significant impact on the series's storyline as a whole, this wasn't about Big Boss's final fall from grace into supervillainy, he's barely in the game at all, so again, what was the point?

I'm frankly stunned the game wasn't that and to me it feels like just a cheap cop out and a way to artificially extend the life of the series for a potential Metal Gear Solid 6, which will never happen now.

And all the stuff with Skull Face and the parasites just feels muddled, but not in a good way like Sons of Liberty, that story was muddled by design, V feels muddled due to incompleteness, a lot of the story just felt like Kojima scribbling in the margins, random ideas that never gel into a cohesive whole.

Roni

Gold Member
I strongly agree.
Very well put!
Impressive write-up, I would definitely be interested to read more.
Personally I was pleasantly surprised by the story; after all the online hate what I got was way more interesting and ambitious than I expected.

Thank you, I'll work on expanding the OP with a break down of the main plot!

i'd rate the story N/A out of 10. what was there was great, but it's sort of like moving into an extravagant home where the flooring isn't done some walls aren't painted.
I suspect that given Kojima's options, that was the best one left to him. To exercise some constraint and leave only subtle hints as to how the story would move forward.
. and all in all i think it rounded big boss' backstory pretty well, probably the best conclusion to hope for considering konami will probably never touch legit Metal Gear canon again
I agree with that 100%, it was a matter of doing what you could with what you had available.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I started playing the game a few weeks ago and while I REALLY love the game play, Im not that enthralled by the story TBH. This may be largely due to me spending so much time screwing around in the open world that I dont often see (or remember) the cut scenes that best drive the story. I mostly just like killing stuff.

Kojima changed Metal Gear after 4 precisely to accommodate players like you. That was the biggest change from 4 to Peace Walker: optional dialogue was now moved from the Codec to the tapes, which had a huge amount of backstory, exposition and (in some cases) even very crucial explanations not to bother people who just want to play the game. He doubled down on that with MGSV, maybe because editing audio was quicker than building entire cutscenes, maybe because he ran out of time, maybe because he just felt MGSV should stand first and foremost by its gameplay. I can't really say exactly why, but in MGSV even very crucial information is in tapes.

You can play the game and only catch glimpses of the story through the short cutscenes, but you need the tapes for the full picture. Which is the main point of contention for those who wanted more classic storytelling.

xviper

MGS V's story was good, but comparison to the older games it was trash, that's why people hated it, plus it was unfinished

Dante83

Banned
There are tons of good stuff in it which is why I was disappointed in the way konami made kojima rush the game out and chapter 2 suffered a lot. The way it was structured and put together was a mess. The opening part of the game will always be stuck in my mind. It was well created and cheesy at the same time. Fiery horse and all. It started out with a bang and frizzled out with chapter 2. I still loved the game.

Roni

Gold Member
For me the story was interesting in the moment but after all was said and done I was left with a feeling of "what was the point?"

If we weren't playing as Big Boss all along, then V is a side story at best that has no real significant impact on the series's storyline as a whole, this wasn't about Big Boss's final fall from grace into supervillainy, he's barely in the game at all, so again, what was the point?

I'd argue the point was adding nuance to character motivations and relationships, while covering the remaining plotholes in the series. Given the game solves a big plot contrivance between MG and MG2, I'd say it is welcome.

I'm frankly stunned the game wasn't that and to me it feels like just a cheap cop out and a way to artificially extend the life of the series for a potential Metal Gear Solid 6, which will never happen now.

This is the same misdirection used in MGS2's marketing, necessary for the final plot twist to make sense.

And all the stuff with Skull Face and the parasites just feels muddled, but not in a good way like Sons of Liberty, that story was muddled by design, V feels muddled due to incompleteness, a lot of the story just felt like Kojima scribbling in the margins, random ideas that never gel into a cohesive whole.

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit more? I'm about to start breaking down the game's plot and your points could help guide my focus.

Corderlain

Banned
I absolutely loved and adored MGSV. I haven't played a MGS game since MGS on PSX, but I have followed the series extensively. I feel like it fits into this universe quite well and was a joy to play.

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit more? I'm about to start breaking down the game's plot and your points could help guide my focus.

It's already been 2 years since I played the game so my memory isn't ultra fresh.

But there's all these elements mashed together, talk about the origin of language, parasites that turn people into pseudo zombies, parasites that can somehow make people teleport (how?), a child Psycho Mantis, Volgin is somehow resurrected, Skullface wants to kill every English speaker for... reasons, meanwhile Liquid steals a Metal Gear.... and is never seen again.

It all just seemed pretty mashed together and constrained near the end when it was obvious they were running out of time and money.

I did really like though how the game finally offered an explanation for the Cobra unit's abilities though, in particular with The End, I was shocked to learn an explanation that actually made sense, however beyond that the parasites just kinda felt like nanomachines redux.

J3nga

It's very flawed and not even close to 10/10, but god damn it there's something about it that's made me finish it twice, one of the guilty pleasure games for me. Either you love it or hate it I guess.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Tagging tobread later because I’m wondering if there’s anything redeemable about this game and I’d be pleasantly surprised (the drab open world did nothing for me so all I’ve got to work with is the story and...yeah...) but real quick:

I did really like though how the game finally offered an explanation for the Cobra unit's abilities though, in particular with The End, I was shocked to learn an explanation that actually made sense, however beyond that the parasites just kinda felt like nanomachines redux.

Why is this a thing that needed to happen though? The game’s stories started stinking when Kojima started over-explaining everything (MGS4).

Roni

Gold Member
I think the game should have more cutscenes like the previous games and Snake should talk more.

I can see how your expectation was perhaps built and molded by the marketing and your own experiences with the series. But having Venom not talk as much (and making sure that when he talked, his tone was different than Big Boss') was incredibly important to enhance the player's sense of being and the general detachment from the real Big Boss.

As for the cutscenes, as I've mentioned before, this was a direct response to MGS4's criticism. Probably married to the fact that it was cheaper/simpler to make tapes that didn't require facial animations or extensive visual work.

I found it to be the LEAST immersive of the MGS games...for me I'd probably get a better experience playing the HD re-boots....despite the lack of open world...MGS 5 just felt barren..

You mean the gameplay or the story?

Even Portable Ops was better (in terms of story)

Eh, I'll confess I barely consider PO canon.

MGS V's story was good, but comparison to the older games it was trash, that's why people hated it, plus it was unfinished

What was lacking in your opinion? I saw a great thriller with a great mystery. No different than how amazing the plot twist in MGS3 is, for example.

AlexxKidd

I've thought about making this thread for a while now... Every time I did, however, I've always hesitated due to the absolute disapproval MGSV's story gets in every MGS thread I read. Thinking my arguments would fall on deaf ears unless they were extremely well built and fact-checked, and realizing I probably had more productive things to do with my time instead of spending over two of months laying out said arguments, I never did it. I thought: "that's OK, someone else will get to it".

Thing is, it's 2018 and no one got to it yet. At least I haven't read that thread, if it is around. I still don't have the time to do the 2-month research, but I thought I'd at least get the ball rolling with this thread. The thread openly talks about spoilers for ALL games of the Metal Gear franchise. Join the conversation if you have played all of the games or if you just don't care.

You see, when Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain first launched back in 2015, I was among the small group of people that considered it a masterpiece both in terms of story and gameplay. There were those who hated the game and there were those who loved the game, but both sides pretty much agreed that MGSV's story wasn't spectacular. Some even claiming it was the worst story in the series.

I think differently, radically differently.

MGSV's story is one of the best and most ambitious (and even thematically relevant) in the series, rivaling the awesome story in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - a title itself controversial at release. If you're willing to hear me out, let's jump right into it:

Premise #1: Kojima cares. You may dislike Kojima games, you may find his genre boring, you may even dislike his taste for the dramatic. What his work objectively doesn't allow you to say is that he doesn't care about his story and his fans. The man has bent over backwards and worked under the most ridiculous constraints & conditions to bring players original themes within the canon he's established over the years. He's stuck with a painfully simple game he designed back in 1987 and built an entire franchise around it, not once taking the liberty of saying: "Yeah, that whole game didn't happen anymore", which would've been the easier path to tread. He designed a full-fledged sequel to Metal Gear Solid 4 on a portable game system, taking the constraints of that platform in stride and creating, arguably, the most complete title of the PSP's library. He may have to retcon things, he may even require players to not stick as closely to what has been said in previous games - making good use of the fact Metal Gear is a series rooted in lies and deception. But the man definitely does his best to respect the fans who have played his games.

Premise #2: Kojima is a visionary. Time and again, the man has seen ahead and worked to materialize something that didn't yet exist in our medium. Be it propelling the stealth genre into the mainstream with the original Metal Gear, creating one of the best video game thrillers at the time with Metal Gear 2, introducing cinematic storytelling with MGS, using the medium's traits to make an extremely relevant point some 15 years ahead of time with MGS2, creating one of the most emotional tales in video game history with MGS3, subverting all of our expectations in MGS4 or creating, from the ground up, an extremely high-caliber portable game. The man seizes every opportunity he has to innovate.

Premise #3: MGSV is an incomplete game. That's just a fact, but ask any developer and they will tell you that every game is ultimately incomplete. The challenge in making a game is knowing where to stop. Given that Kojima cares and that he clearly strives to push the medium forward with every new project he takes on, it seems reasonable to assume he must've tried his best to connect everything together, even if that meant being economical and using as few strands as possible in that connection.

With these premises at hand, I'd like to make the point that MGSV's story is the antithesis to the ordinary plot you'd find in most games. You see, most game stories work in service of taking the player through a satisfying emotional ride. There may be betrayals, plot twists and complications; but the player almost always reaches a climax that results in some form of closure. In most instances where that doesn't happen, it can be attributed to an oversight or an error by the developer's part. But life, as we all know it, doesn't always play out as if we're the hero.

Not all of our friends are easy-going, hard-working and extremely supportive.
Not all relationships end well.
Not all of our struggles are just.
Not all stories lead to a satisfying conclusion.

Sometimes, life just tramples over us, and we're left to pick-up the pieces in its wake.

I'd like to make the point that MGSV's story is precisely about that: a story designed to evoke all different shades of pain. Let's focus on how each character in MGSV is designed to expose the player to something negative:

Skull Face is the main antagonist of the game. He's a bureaucratic villain that captures and tortures Chico, a child that lived in your base. Not only forcing Chico to watch as he beat and raped Paz, the girl he loved, but also forcing him to participate in her torture. Contributing to her suffering and agony. He also destroys MSF's Mother Base by the end of Ground Zeroes. Essentially taking your Peace Walker save file and deleting it. He's personally responsible for you being in a coma for 9 years, losing your left arm and suffering brain damage due to a massive piece of shrapnel being stuck in your head. He's also responsible for the deaths of everyone in the hospital you wake up in and for Miller's capture and mutilation. Skull Face has been a constant source of suffering for everyone you know. He's the target, the devil. If you follow the story closely, there's no way you don't hate him. And yet, his demise is quick and mostly painless - not only because of his parasite treatment, but also because Huey puts a bullet in his head and destroys his brain. He's designed to make players experience the pain of how unfulfilling revenge ultimately is.

Miller is your closest friend, a man who has lost everything, just like you. His outlook on life, however, isn't as neutral as Venom's. Miller becomes obssessed with revenge, fueled by rage and hatred. He hates those who wronged him and builds his life around ensuring they pay him back. This makes him completely paranoid: he is constantly at odds with Ocelot, he places armed sentries to point weapons at Venom himself, he even puts up posters that say 'Big Boss is watching!' to drive home the point that all will be under scrutiny and under constant evaluation. Miller's designed to make players experience the pain of losing a relationship because of trauma and loss - especially when you contrast who Miller was in Peace Walker and who he's become in V.

Huey is a coward and a sociopath who is perfectly comfortable lying and trying to manipulate those around him so that he doesn't have to deal with the consequences of his actions. He spent 9 years attempting to create the perfect Metal Gear for the ones who destroyed your base, only to be recaptured and claim he's always been on your team. To sell you that lie, he grasps at whatever he can: that they didn't give him a choice, that Sahelanthropus face had a Skull just like MSF's, because he never stopped thinking about them... All the while, as the story progresses, more and more information is extracted from him. Because he knows more, way more. Because he did betray Venom and his friends 9 years ago. When he's led to finally crack, he takes steps to ensure the only person who could ever incriminate him is dead. He shoots Skull Face in the head not because he wants revenge, but because with Skull Face truly dead, no one else could tell the tale of what happened during those 9 years. He then proceeds to mutate the vocal cord parasites on purpose. Oh, and let's not forget he deliberately hid Strangelove's involvement in his project in an attempt to hide the fact that he killed the mother of his own son. Huey is designed to make players experience the pain of being manipulated by someone, all the while not having enough evidence to pass accurate judgement.

Code Talker is a scientist who was blackmailed by Skull Face to further develop the vocal cord parasites. In an attempt to protect his tribe, he kept making the threat to his tribe bigger and bigger. Code Talker is designed to make the player experience the pain of living your life while pressured by others.

Eli is one of Snake's clone. He resents Big Boss after learning his just a copy of him. His 'lust for revenge' surpasses even that of Skull Face's. Making his bond with Angering Mantis stronger than everyone else's. He uses this power to steal Sahelanthropus and a sample of the final English vocal cord parasite strain and escape with the children Diamong Dogs was trying to help. Eli disappears, only to be found and dealt with after the game's ending. He is designed to make the player feel the pain of unfinished business, the frustration that comes from the lack of proper closure.

Quiet is designed as a sexy, useful and silent sniper. You may believe her design is sexist, and I wouldn't disagree, but the reason why she's this Anime wetdream is far more interesting than her actual clothes. Kojima knows his audience and he wanted as many players as possible to like Quiet: which is why she's pretty to look at, openly shows interest in Venom, is super useful in gameplay and spends most of the game without uttersing a single opinion. If you've played MGSV to completion, you'll know that Quiet leaves Venom permanently. Quiet is designed to make the player experience the pain of abandonment. And given how many players were looking for ways not to lose her or to get her back when the game came out, I'd say this is the experience Kojima was most succesful in conveying.

Ocelot in MGSV is playing a character, just like he did in every other Metal Gear game he's ever been in, the only difference here is that Ocelot is playing himself. In the end, Ocelot is revealed not to be really working for Venom, but for the real Snake. He's been pretending to be your friend, and your 'left-hand' man through self-hypnosis. A process not unlike the one he's applied on Venom himself, erasing his identity and imposing Snake's memories on top of his own. Ocelot killed everything you ever truly were, erased memories of everything you've ever loved. All in Snake's name. Ocelot doesn't really care about Venom as a person, only as a tool for keeping the real Snake safe. Ocelot is designed to make the player feel the pain of betrayal by someone thought to be a close friend.

The real Snake is almost entirely absent from the game, aside from Missions 0 and 46 and some of the truth tapes. Snake goes along with Zero and Ocelot's plans to turn the player into Venom, showing no remorse for his fate. Snake is designed to make the player experience the pain of disillusion.

Zero is also absent from the entire game, but the tape where he visits Snake in the hospital show how their friendship could have ended differently if they had one more chance to talk. Zero is designed to make the player experience the pain of hesitation.

It is my belief that MGSV's story is brilliant precisely because it reinforces these themes so elegantly. No human interaction is every truly fulfilling or useful because everyone is so up in their heads, worried about their own pain and their own problems. Venom can't get through to Miller because he's sure Quiet is a problem, Skull Face can't really convince Venom of his work because Venom is already intent on taking him down after everything he's seen. Skull Face can't keep Code Talker in line because he's become too bitter after losing everything. The problem is the game is so effective at making the player feel these inadequacies, that the feeling they evoke is projected back onto the game itself.

MGSV gets a bad reputation because it is so successful at emotionally undermining the player, which is what it was designed to do.

Thanks for reading up until this checkpoint. This is just focusing on the theme of Pain. I've also got thoughts on the game's overall plot, which I also think is amazing, and I shall expand on them further if there's enough interested in it. Hope to hear your thoughts on the game and engage in some interesting debate!

OP I didn't read a word of your surely awesome post because you don't have to convince me, I already know it's an amazing game. I just saw your title and came in to say. "I agree." I've called Metal Gear Solid V a masterpiece on these very forums, and on these very forums I've said I put it above Snake Eater. On these very forums, I've said it would have been my 2015 Game of the Year, had it not been for The Witcher III.

VulcanRaven

My main problem with the story is that it retcons Metal Gear 1 and 2. I'm not sure if I like the idea that Venom Snake was Big Boss in the first game. I don't really think about MGSV at all when I play the old games so its not a big problem. I can just pretend that it isn't canon.

Last edited:

manfestival

I feel like the presentation of the story of mgs5 is poor. I love every main metal gear game. I couldn't play mas 5 for more than 5 hours before giving up

AlphaMale

I thought MGSV was immensely fun and I spent many, many hours on it, to completion. However, I really dislike the mission-based approach to the campaign. I feel it takes away from the immersion.

(I really hope this doesn't become a trend in future single player campaigns. I first experienced it in Black Ops 3, and now MGSV.)

scydrex

For me this game was a piece of crap... Gameplay sure is awesome after that... the story sucks, very poor presentation. Only played it once and forgot about this game.

BANGS

Banned
I have to disagree completely. 4 completely destroyed most of the lore of the series, and 5 was just pure nonsense. I couldn't connect with any of the characters or give a crap about what was going on in the story, unlike the first 3 MGS games that had me sucked right in from the start... The start of MGSV on the other hand made me instantly feel like "okay this is all pretentious filler bullshit" and that feeling never left...

Roni

Gold Member
I absolutely loved and adored MGSV. I haven't played a MGS game since MGS on PSX, but I have followed the series extensively. I feel like it fits into this universe quite well and was a joy to play.

I agree wholeheartedly, the game is so different from everything else. But at same time so similar.

But there's all these elements mashed together, talk about the origin of language, parasites that turn people into pseudo zombies, parasites that can somehow make people teleport (how?), a child Psycho Mantis, Volgin is somehow resurrected, Skullface wants to kill every English speaker for... reasons, meanwhile Liquid steals a Metal Gear.... and is never seen again.

Oh, I see. Yeah, Skull Face's plan is something most people didn't dig into. I have written explanations for it. Let me quote something I wrote a long time ago.

His objective was to kill/weaken dominant languages and reset the world balance to a state of segregated countries, each with their own culture and language.

He wanted to stop colonization and globalization, since he felt that could kill someone's true identity as a member of a particular culture by impregnating it with elements of a bigger, more successful culture.

For that, the Vocal Cord Parasites were far more useful than any Metal Gear or uranium enriching archea.

I'm going to expand on that later, but that's the gist of it. Skull Face wanted to give every culture a fighting chance. The way to do that was to remove the grip English had on the world and arm everyone with cheap nukes. So MAD applied to every tribe, not just the world's superpowers.

Sutherland has said that he was sad that he didn't have more lines if I remember right. Kojima wanted Snake to be more of a silent protagonist. He wanted him to be like Mad Max:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mgs-5-the-phantom-pain-s-snake-won-t-talk-much-koj/1100-6425687/

Well OK. Kojima shoulda made more lines.

I mean if people are singing you happy birthday and bring you a cake and you just nod your head, you don't look like an aswesome silent protagonist. you just look like a dick. XD

Roni

Gold Member
It's very flawed and not even close to 10/10, but god damn it there's something about it that's made me finish it twice, one of the guilty pleasure games for me. Either you love it or hate it I guess.

The best thing a game can be is a game you want to keep playing!

Why is this a thing that needed to happen though? The game’s stories started stinking when Kojima started over-explaining everything (MGS4).

Some people enjoy explanations, there seems to be this notion that stories that leave things open to interpretation are better. But I'm very glad MGS4 is a thing!

My main problem with the story is that it retcons Metal Gear 1 and 2. I'm not sure if I like the idea that Venom Snake was Big Boss in the first game.

Kojima wrote MG and MG2 years before Metal Gear was planned and expanded to be a franchise. As a result, he used some pretty questionable tropes. Like the return of a villain that was caught in an inescapable situation. This solves the use of that trope, which he probably wasn't too proud of.

Ozrimandias

I love Metal Gear, i have almost every Collectors Edition that has been released. But, at some time ago, Kojima started to fall in my podium of magnanimous creators....and started to fall very fast. I tried to find some explanations about this, and i can only find this:

- A destructer of budget: When you watch the Bluray in the limited edition of Metal Gear solid 4 , you then found that Kojima presses his team so much, in so many ways to create a perfect product, that he doesnt care if it exceedes in time, and money, and money being a vital factor in a company. An example, he just wanted to have Kiefer Sutherland, because, deep in his heart, he just want to melt videogames and hollywood, ala David Cage but he emphatized on play...then he just called his hollywood friends, hires Sutherland just to give him a document with no more than 10 pages of lines....a Triple A TV Actor, just to do that minimum amount of lines.

- The more Metal Gear grew, the more complex, disconnected (and absurd) went. Loved all the games, but at some point, i smiled played MGS4 and V and thought to myself "what ridiculous and anoyying a game can be sometimes",

It can be anything, the problem is the deception for part Two. I loved the game and the history, but when part Two show on the screen, gave me hope and then nothing happen, that destroy all the fun that i had with it. An awesome cake that left a bad taste and i can only remember the bad taste.

DonF

MGS V story is great, I love it. My problem is with how this story is told. The tapes, to me, should be a nice extra. But in this case, its the most important part of the story. Kojima, being a huge movie buff, committed a huge cinema sin..."Show, don't tell".
Basically, there is lots of story in MGS V that is told, yet never shown. And I hate that.
Also, wtf is with the intro of every mission, even spoiling encounters and such. What a weird artistic choice.
Considering that, I believe its a great game, but a disappointing MGS.
Gameplay wise its the best MGS.

AlexxKidd

It can be anything, the problem is the deception for part Two. I loved the game and the history, but when part Two show on the screen, gave me hope and then nothing happen, that destroy all the fun that i had with it. An awesome cake that left a bad taste and i can only remember the bad taste.

Not sure what's this "part two" deception you're referring to. The only thing I can think of is the "Chapter 2" preview that rolls when you beat Sahelanthropus. And in that case, every thing in the Chapter 2 preview is in the game. You just need to ya know, play Chapter 2.

ExpandKong

Banned
Some people enjoy explanations, there seems to be this notion that stories that leave things open to interpretation are better. But I'm very glad MGS4 is a thing!

Kojima wrote MG and MG2 years before Metal Gear was planned and expanded to be a franchise. As a result, he used some pretty questionable tropes. Like the return of a villain that was caught in an inescapable situation. This solves the use of that trope, which he probably wasn't too proud of.

Explanations are great when they’re A) necessary and B) well thought-out. Take midichlorians from Star Wars, for example: nobody needed to know about that, all it did was detract from the whimsy of the franchise.

The parasites explanation for the Cobra Unit’s powers wasn’t really necessary or well thought-out, I feel. It felt like the 1984 version of MGS4’s “everything was nanomachines” hand-wave. The only real purpose it serves is to explain why Quiet has similar powers to The End, but it causes more trouble than it’s worth.

The same can be said about your second paragraph above - everyone knows when MG and MG2 were created, there’s no reason to explain how Big Boss survived MG in 2015 (or whenever MGSV came out). MG and MG2 were products of their time.

I dunno. I get that MGS is a more realistically grounded series than Star Wars and that “whimsy” might not be the right word for what I’m trying to describe. But not every question needs to be answered, and in MGSV’s case, a lot of stuff that should’ve been answered wasn’t.

For example - they went to cringe-inducing lengths to explain The End’s powers and how they tie in to Quiet’s, but they don’t explain why the hell she knows the Navajo language. That’s the kind of thing that probably could’ve used even one line of explanation.

Also, the whole thing with Liquid and Psycho Mantis taking off with Metal Gear - why on earth was that left in the game once the decision was made to cut the series of missions that wraps that whole thing up?

I dunno. The whole thing just felt like a series of half thought-out callbacks, hanging threads and unnecessary explanations. It’s hard for me to see any redeeming quality in the story.

The problem is that Kojima was too presumptuous in his "freedom" as in budget and time needed to produce such an ambitious project.

The result in MGSV besides being officially incomplete, is that behind this rich and complex narrative which in fact integrated way more elements and interesting characters such as Chico grown-up, the game design, settings, mission, cinematography and gameplay were pretty bare bone in themselves.

You understand that when, well first you play the game having played the previous MGS which all featured very various, carefully detailed environnement with tons of situational/contextual reactions, objects, easter eggs and gameplay scenes, and understand that probably because of the open-level aspect and the ambition of the game it came-up very incomplete and unfinished in it's core game, not just the story. Now I wish an actual "definitive" version as intended by Kojima would eventually come-up but we know it's dead and buried, like the franchise.

Last edited:

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
I’m new to this franchise. MGS5 was my first entry into this series and I came away feeling disappointed and sometimes frustrated with the story. It felt like a bunch of ideas just thrown together and it never syncs up well. The gameplay was incredible, responsive, and masterfully crafted. It’s the thing that kept me going for over 200 hours.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Never got past the second mission due to hearing all the hate but this is making me want to go back. Thanks OP.

PapiKong

Banned
The feelings I felt after completing MGSV for the first time were really similar to some posters on here. I felt betrayed when i first discovered we weren't playing as big boss and after countless hours of trying unlock chapter 3, it finally dawned on me what was really going on. I felt like i was chasing something that didn't exist or something that felt was there but wasn't (This should sound familiar). I went back and watched all the cut scenes and listened to the tapes again and again because I had an obsession of wanting to know "Truth" (Similar to Kaz's Obsession with revenge) but couldn't find any coherent answers until i heard the Questioning Huey #6 tape. Instead of taking the tape's information as literal Metal Gear meta I took it as Kojima telling me something through the characters he had created. This tape made me realize that Kojima was pretty much foreshadowing how we were gonna feel post game. He knew die hard fans were gonna feel this way hence the games name, The Phantom Pain. Ten years from now people are gonna remember this game as the game that broke their hearts just like how MGS2 did back in 2001 when we played as Raiden and not Snake(Lets be real here everyone hated it, thats why MGS3 sold less copies). He did it again. Also the fact that we are still making threads about this game says a lot. MGSV isn't really about the story behind it (That died with MGS4 IMO) but about an emotional roller coaster Kojima made us go through.

Here's the link to the Tape :

Here's the thing for me with MGS V. Problem was never the story but the lack of storytelling.

First, I view Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain as both parts of MGS V. If not for development hell (or development delusions of grandeur that miscalculated how many cutscenes would be left for Phantom Pain), I see GZ as the intended prologue and Awakening as the introduction. I count GZ as part of MGS V in terms of story, design, etc. And, in practice, they are now with the MGS V re-release.

Second, I agree with everything stayed about the story. The story, and in a meta way, the game and the context of its development, are both designed to give you a sort of 'phantom pain.' And, in terms of simple genius of 'the language parasite,' Skull Face is arguably the most intriguing villain in the series. The line about setting forth the events of the rest of the MGS V is severely underappreciated and the line our language being our native land is brilliant.

So, when I emphasize "lack of story," I genuinely mean that's it's not the story or plot. Nor is it how the story is told because I greatly like a lot of the storytelling style, namely how it splits into a sort of 'Skull Face story' and 'Diamond Dogs and Mother Base story.'

It's very fitting of an open world game, the setting building of its management and operational PMC themes, as many of its cutscenes are like 'Bloomberg, reporting Live from Mother Base.'

And, in terms of cutscene hours, MGS V is actually more than MGS 2 or MGS 3. It's 'cutscene movie on Youtube is something like 5-6 hours... (9+ with tapes which are its codecs). I made a 'Live from Mother Base' compilation of just Mother Base scenes and even that alone was over 2 hours.

But there were too few missions like Where Do The Bees Sleep, Hellbound, Voices, Code Talker, Shining Lights Even In Death, and A Quiet Exit.

5 hours of pure cutscenes would have been good enough for the story, but not enough for the 'Skull Face story' and the Mother Base and Diamond Dogs story.' That's why 5 hours or whatever was lacking here is because unlike being linearly focused on the main story, it was split with the 'daily life busywork' things about Mother Base.

For context, I'm at about 475 hours /played. Managing and building Diamond Dogs, watching Mother Base grow, is the main reason for that.

Diamond Dogs management and Mother Base scenes are a big reason I love MGS V, to be sure.

But the game could have used a solid extra hour or two of pure Skull Face focused missions and cutscenes, too. Two or three more Hellbounds or Voices per Chapter... and a Chapter 3 heheheh.

Last edited:
Not sure what's this "part two" deception you're referring to. The only thing I can think of is the "Chapter 2" preview that rolls when you beat Sahelanthropus. And in that case, every thing in the Chapter 2 preview is in the game. You just need to ya know, play Chapter 2.

Yes, the same misions.A title saying Chapter 2 set my hype to max, then its the same misions that i alredy played with some gameplays restricions, its just a hard mode.Yes, there is a small diference in a particular mission, and it makes you more sad because yout know it could be alot better

AlexxKidd

Yes, the same misions.A title saying Chapter 2 set my hype to max, then its the same misions that i alredy played with some gameplays restricions, its just a hard mode.Yes, there is a small diference in a particular mission, and it makes you more sad because yout know it could be alot better

Hope you didnt delete your save lol. All of those cut scenes they showed you are in chapter two. The missions that start in paranrhesis like {SUBSISTENCE}, etc., are in fact hard mode versions of previous missions. But they are completely optional. You continue the main story by only doing the main story based missions, and the occassional sidequests (which will be highlighted so you cant miss then) necassary to unlock them. All of which contain continue the main plot. If you truly think you've finished the game or seen it all you havent even seen the best story based mission, "A Quiet Exit," or the true ending which has been spoiled for you by people throughout this thread.

Last edited:

It didn't need to happen no, I was just impressed that the explanation made sense.

Contrast that with the explanation for Vamp, which sucked ass (how do nanomachines allow you to SIT ON WATER?)

It would've been acceptable as Metal Gear Solid 5 but as Metal Gear Solid: The Final Chapter? It sucks. It's the same problem I had with Dexter's final season. Instead of focusing on the end game, we got stuck with this villain of the week character for 90% of it and the end game was 10% and not nearly satisfying enough. This is the one time I wanted exactly what was shown in the trailers and I wasn't up for another one of Kojima's epic ruses.

Given the fact that Chapter 51 is pure sequel bait, I'm guessing that there was going to be a Metal Gear Solid VI so basically I blame Kojima for taking so long to tell the story we wanted to see since MGS3 that we'll never end up seeing it.

Everything I wanted out of The Phantom Pain I ended up getting out of Nier Automata though so it's all good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom