• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miceosoft deserves praise for their BC initiative!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I tried searching but couldn't find a BC thread to put this in. Mods please feel free to merge this if there is one.

So, me and one of my friends have been loving the dead space vibes lately and as we had never fully completed dead space 3 we decided to jump back In on xbox as we had started it years ago on pc.

We thought, let's play on xbox just for ease of setting up. Comfy couch etc.

So here we are, almost all achievements...playing through the awakening DLC now after completing the main game on impossible difficulty.

We are just blown away by Microsofts love and consideration to backwards compatibility. We fired it up and was like. This ain't 30fps and the HDR looks pretty damn good. One press of the guide and it lists auto hdr and framerate boost on the right side. I don't know what resolution it's running at but ir looks pretty clean on my 65" lg CX. I imagine it's 1080p?

Anyway, just really impressive stuff and adds serious life into backwards compatible games. Loving it. What a great Friday night just playing some nice action horror vibes with all the lights off and shooting shit while shooting shit.

Is there any other good co op games from the 360 era that has this kind of love and attention? I imagine it's a game by game basis?

Xbox BC is really amazing. 🔥 🔥 🔥

Last edited:

Kdad

Mice GIF

They do BC the best. It's nice to be able to play games from the 360 gen. Some with fps boost and 4k resolution. Compared to sony who got PS3 games stuck to streaming only. Would have been even better if Microsoft kept adding more BC games but what's already there is very good. Most of the best 360 games are compatible.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It’s a good feature but a shame they abandoned their BC programmes far too early, both in terms of games available and FPS boost. I honestly thought it would be an ongoing project.

I completely agree, playing dead space 3 this week and it just highlights how good this is when they nail it. Cant believe they sacked it off so early.

I hope they go back to some more games.

Last edited:

Kdad

Yeah my One X allows me to play my copy of GTA IV on a console. My PS3 copy? I threw it in the trash, along with many more PS3 games.
Working PS3 consoles are a 'thing'...hell, its still getting security patches as recently as this week.

poodaddy

It's a great feature. Wish some more games would have gotten patches, particularly for frame rate improvement, but in the end it was a damn fine effort. Can't say I ever really liked the retroactive HDR addition to games that weren't made with it in mind. Just didn't look right to me, but I respect that they gave it a shot.

Again, another thread where saying anything positive about anything remotely Xbox invites all the same folks as always to sneer and insinuate astroturfing. It's all so predictable now.

feynoob

Banned
Are you tired of not playing your old games on 4k? Does your system not allow you to play all your library?

We got you covered here. In steam/PC land, we take our library seriously. We have our masterpiece fans who are dedicating their time making your favourite console emulators. We allow you to buy old games. I don't mean 4 year old games, but a 20 years old games too. From the likes of Morrowind to vampire masquerade series. All your wild dreams can be enjoyed in this wonderful world.

All you need to do is invest in our $1k all you can build computer, download our client steam and other clients from our partnership. Then give 5 prays to our lord Gabe for delivering this great service.

What are you waiting for? Come join us and enjoy all you can feast games. We have the classics Sony, Xbox and Nintendo games on our system. You also get to explore the nsfw games that you can't find on your consoles.

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

poodaddy

Nothing wrong with eating some edibles and playing some dead space 3 on a Friday night.
While I don't care for Dead Space 3, I would certainly take you up on the edibles lol.

For those who haven't tried it, I highly suggest some edibles with a multiplayer Kirby game..... something incredibly edifying about having the munchies while eating everything in sight as Kirby.

BlueLyria

You ain't wrong, but I'd rather play the older games on a CRT, been using one to replay Valkyria Chronicles and it's such a blast.
Got all the parts to fix a HDTV CRT this weekend as well.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Their BC initiative, particularly Xbox One X Enhanced BC, FPS Boost, and Auto HDR, is absolutely incredible.

It's a god damn shame they've abandoned the program though. One of my favorite aspects of the platform and it's a huge loss that there's no longer new titles or new enhancements streaming in.

Patrick S.

Banned
Working PS3 consoles are a 'thing'...hell, its still getting security patches as recently as this week.
I know. I do still own a PS2 compatible 60GB fatty PS3, but I have no intention of further cluttering up my place by setting up another console. It's just not worth it for me, as I have most games I have on that system on Xbox or PC, and those are already set up.

I guess people dropping laughing emojis on the OP prefer to buy the same games over and over.
Or they had seen the same topic in this same forum couple hundreds of times. I think every second week there is one. We got it's great (it's really is) but god enough we got it. Let it rest for a month and next month we can make the same thread again.

Top Bottom