• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miceosoft deserves praise for their BC initiative!

Banned
What an odd thread. Especially after Microsoft has abandoned the program for over a year now. It would be one thing if they just recently came out and said here's another 100 XBox 360 and OG Xbox games, with some of them enhanced. But it seems like Microsoft is done with backwards compatibility.

Most likely because they found out the same thing every other console manufacturer finds out. Backwards compatibility is a nice little cake topper, but it is nowhere near one of the main reasons people buy a new console. And sales of the PS4 and PS5 prove it.

no they stopped because they couldn't get anymore licenses sorted out to release more.
sadly they didn't go with full software emulation, which was impossible on Xbox One to be fair, because then they could have made games compatible without the blessing of the rights holders of the games and/or art, music, cars, and likenesses used in them.

maybe Xenia will mature enough for that to not be relevant anymore in the future... all that would be missing then is anport of Xemu or CXBC Reloaded.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Freudian slip or admission?

DarlingGargantuanKudu-size_restricted.gif
Why are Xbox fans called green mice?

I don't have the desire to play anything from the 7th gen or older with the exception of like 5 games
Stop being disingenuous.

There are tons of old games (i. e. Katamari 1/2, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, Planescape: Torment, Dragon Quest V, Final Fantasy V, etc.) that have a lot more than nostalgia going for them.

I agree. Microsoft's philosophy and approach to Backwards Compatibility is basically in a League Of One. Particularly compared to Sony, who always seems to be playing catch-up when it comes to software. Sony's approach seems to be 'I will do it when I can be arsed', which commonly means never. Seriously, how TF is Bloodbourne still 1080p@30fps? Absolute joke.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah that goes especially for Sony. They haven't even released a new first party IP this gen except for Returnal. Everything else has been third party or a remake/remaster.

Which means Sony did indeed release a new first party IP. And no, "everything else" hasn't been third party or a "remake/remaster".

None of which has anything to do with backward compatibility.

RedC

They brought out BC because they couldn't get any new games out the door. Was the most transparent thing ever.

Should have been there at launch.
I can tell you've never done research on this, so I will help you out.

The Xbox One system was designed with Xbox 360 compatibility in mind.

Helping the task immensely is the fact that certain aspects of the Xbox 360 hardware design are indeed built into the Xbox One processor - specifically, support for texture formats and audio. "It's what makes this sort of possible for us, because then we can take all of those shaders that we collect and we can package them and all the Enlightenments, and then we just go through and we do actual performance playthroughs to determine that the emulator is executing everything right."

The program was supposed to start at launch, but the always online and mandatory Kinect debacle delayed it as all resources had to be turned toward fixing, testing, and refining them at the system, os, and UI levels.

Sorry, it doesn't fit your narrative that "Xbox has no games so BC!!!"

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I hope so but the fact they did all the cods and nothing else makes me think theres no more that could be done, i cant even think of what other activision games there is to add since everything that wasnt cod were licensed games except for singlarity
I will be a lot more positive about the ABK acquisition if it gets approved if they add Singularity to the BC list. That's the only game from ABK I have any interest in.

I can tell you've never done research on this, so I will help you out.

The Xbox One system was designed with Xbox 360 compatibility in mind.

Helping the task immensely is the fact that certain aspects of the Xbox 360 hardware design are indeed built into the Xbox One processor - specifically, support for texture formats and audio. "It's what makes this sort of possible for us, because then we can take all of those shaders that we collect and we can package them and all the Enlightenments, and then we just go through and we do actual performance playthroughs to determine that the emulator is executing everything right."

The program was supposed to start at launch, but the always online and mandatory Kinect debacle delayed it as all resources had to be turned toward fixing, testing, and refining them at the system, os, and UI levels.

Sorry, it doesn't fit yournarrative that "Xbox has no games so BC!!!"

Smells like an alt account 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom