• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miceosoft deserves praise for their BC initiative!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Replaying the Gears games in 4K 60

Licking Jackie Chan GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
While I don't care for Dead Space 3, I would certainly take you up on the edibles lol.

For those who haven't tried it, I highly suggest some edibles with a multiplayer Kirby game..... something incredibly edifying about having the munchies while eating everything in sight as Kirby.

Omg, you just made my Saturday night plans now we've completed dead space. I'm only a few levels into the latest kirby and I've been meaning to go back.

I'll pock up a load of munchies and play along eith the kirbster!

Fox Mulder

It’s a good feature but a shame they abandoned their BC programmes far too early, both in terms of games available and FPS boost. I honestly thought it would be an ongoing project.

They said they ran into licensing, technical, and publisher permission reasons. Stuff like Kinect or Guitar Hero games can’t work. They weren’t going to bother with old Maddens or Forzas. They’ll surely fire it back up if the Activision purchase goes through for stuff like Raven’s Singularity or Wolfenstein.

It’s a neat feature to have and the games always go on sale to pick something up. MS even did something weird like make Too Human BC with Epic’s permission after that lawsuit.

Last edited:

Antwix

100%. It's one of the main reasons I don't hesitate to buy digital on xbox. I have confidence that the games will continue to run on future consoles going forward.

vj27

Banned
Tbh they’ve always got praise for this, haven’t even seen the most extreme of fanboys try to discredit this. Every gamer loves BC even the fanboys. I play sonic adventure 1 & 2 once a year lol it’s like my ritual. Chao garden still SLAPS to this day lml.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
PC>Xbox>PlayStation

PC handles backwards compatibility best because even with OS updates there are always VMs you can install to run games on an older OS.

Xbox takes second place as they have worked hard on their backwards compatibility, and all of their consoles after the OG Xbox have included this feature.

Sony knows how to do backwards compatibility, but the PlayStation 3 really screwed it up for them. If we omit that console, the PlayStation's backwards compatibility would rival the Xbox's backwards compatibility.

I didn't even bother to include Nintendo because they are the worst when it comes to backwards compatibility. It's like they think that allowing old games to be played on new consoles causes cancer.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why should they deserve praise after abandoning it three times now? They abandoned it during the 360 era, abandoned it during the Xbox One era, and abandoned it again in the Series era. Plenty of games still never got support and even fewer got the "enhancement" treatment, many first party games never even got them!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I need someone to make a thread for praising the emulation scene as well cause that has recently become one of the core pillars of the console for me as well 🥳

On the topic of BC. It's not universal 360 compatibility but it's definitely the best in recent console generations.

Replaying Gears 2 (and 3) in 4K/60 is a revelatory experience. Not to mention other enhanced games like Red Dead Redemption, Mirrors Edge etc

Gears 2/3 look as good, if not better than most modern HD remasters just with a simple resolution boost, the 60 FPS is icing on the locust cake.

11-22-2021_4-07-14_pmkle1h.png

3-14-2021_5-03-58_pm-vlf91.png

7-27-2022_11-34-10_amt2jva.png

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
I wish it was 100 percent of their previous libraries. So many great games on the Xbox and Xbox 360 that are not BC. Glad that we got Modern Warfare 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2 before the program was completed.

sachos

Is there any other good co op games from the 360 era that has this kind of love and attention?
Aren't the Gears games local co op too? Army of Two maybe? I don't know if those are BC. Their BC program was really cool, its a shame they haven't continued it. Wish Sony would do the same with their emulators, they suck compared to PC ones.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why should they deserve praise after abandoning it three times now? They abandoned it during the 360 era, abandoned it during the Xbox One era, and abandoned it again in the Series era. Plenty of games still never got support and even fewer got the "enhancement" treatment, many first party games never even got them!
Going as far as they're legally able to go isn't exactly abandoning it. They said they've done all they can do.

adamsapple

Tbh they’ve always got praise for this, haven’t even seen the most extreme of fanboys try to discredit this. Every gamer loves BC even the fanboys. I play sonic adventure 1 & 2 once a year lol it’s like my ritual. Chao garden still SLAPS to this day lml.

Sonic Unleashed and Generations have FPS boost. Generations also got resolution boost so that one runs at 4K/60.

It's pretty damn good to revisit some of these games with a new coat of paint.

I also replayed Fallout 3 last year. 4K/60 and instant SSD load times. It's so good. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Roberts

I’m still a bit disappointed they abandoned it but I remember listening to Jason Ronald on some podcast talking about the limitations of not altering the game code, licensing stuff and tech issues, especially when it comes to fps boost - the game would work fine until a certain part at the end where it didn’t.

That said, I still load up an ocassional bc or fps boosted game that I own but never played before. Auto HDR (especially when using Dolby Vision) is just an icing on a cake.

I hope they find a legal way of making an official emulator that would work with every game but I am pretty sure it will never happen.

Naked Lunch

Its pretty rad putting a disc game I bought in 2001 into my current Series console and playing it. Or a digital game I bought in 2007 - showing up in my current console library.
For all the haters in this thread alone - that is something the competition does NOT offer. Period. Full stop.
Have fun buying the same Nintendo games for the 20th time.

There are a handful of Xbox BC titles I really wish made it - but there are tons of things that DID make the cut.
Big omissions for me: Armored Core games, Bangai-O, Bionic Commando Rearmed 1, Outrun 2.

But hey - we got Ninja Gaiden 1/2, Lost Planet 1/2, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Ikaruga, Binary Domain, Orta, KOTOR, Otogi, Guwange, Ace Combat 6, MGS 2/3/PW/R - to name a few.
I mean come on - that list cannot be fucked with.

Last edited:

Banned

Mirror's Edge at 4K60 + true HDR (no auto HDR here, it's actually native HDR) is really damn amazing.

it just sucks that you can't change the FOV, which is something you even have to manually mod in on PC... I have no idea what DICE was thinking not including an FOV slider in that game

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

If they could force you to into new consoles they would but they can't.
This is the bitter pill MS bit to compete. BC is better than making gamble over new games which takes even more time. And thank god, BC is so good for consumers.

Banned
Here’s my humble collection of original xBox games:
VNTyqGN.jpg

I bought an Xbox series x but unfortunately none of them worked and I sold the console not long after.

it's really hard looking up the always available compatibility list online it seems lol.

also Ninja Gaiden Black is compatible... so close! lol
edit: also Kotor is absolutely compatible, what are you talking about?

Last edited:

OuterLimits

It's such a shame how Sony just abandoned their library, I used the backward compatibility a lot to catch up on old games, it's great.

This is true sadly. As much as I enjoy PS+, having PS3 games only available as a streaming option blows. Plus Legend of Dragoon just released on Premium has some severe glitches(Dragoon magic spells are unusable)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Here’s my humble collection of original xBox games:
VNTyqGN.jpg

I bought an Xbox series x but unfortunately none of them worked and I sold the console not long after.

Ninja Gaiden Black and KoToR 1 (and 2) are backwards compatible. Halo's OG mode is available in MCC, yes I know it's not 100% the same, but you get the idea.

OuterLimits

PC>Xbox>PlayStation

PC handles backwards compatibility best because even with OS updates there are always VMs you can install to run games on an older OS.

Xbox takes second place as they have worked hard on their backwards compatibility, and all of their consoles after the OG Xbox have included this feature.

Sony knows how to do backwards compatibility, but the PlayStation 3 really screwed it up for them. If we omit that console, the PlayStation's backwards compatibility would rival the Xbox's backwards compatibility.

I didn't even bother to include Nintendo because they are the worst when it comes to backwards compatibility. It's like they think that allowing old games to be played on new consoles causes cancer.
Sony is good with BC on the PS4 gen primarily. PS1 through PS3 is not very good. Yes, I realize the PS3 is a nightmare for them but that doesn't explain the previous generations.(especially PS2 which was their best selling console generation).

During the PS4, Sony rather quickly abandoned the PS2 classics stuff they were doing.

sainraja

Sony is good with BC on the PS4 gen primarily. PS1 through PS3 is not very good. Yes, I realize the PS3 is a nightmare for them but that doesn't explain the previous generations.(especially PS2 which was their best selling console generation).

During the PS4, Sony rather quickly abandoned the PS2 classics stuff they were doing.
PS1 was their first console lol. What was it going to be backwards compatible to?
PS2 was backwards compatible. PS3 was also backwards compatible. It was during this gen they moved away from backwards compatibility.
PS4 did not have it.
PS5 supports backwards compatibility with PS4 games and some PS1/2 games.

Shifty1897

Frankly, what they've done is incredible. I don't fully understand how they're injecting higher resolutions, auto HDR and higher frame rates into these games at the performance levels we're seeing, but God bless them for it.

OuterLimits

PS1 was their first console lol. What was it going to be backwards compatible to?
PS2 was backwards compatible. PS3 was also backwards compatible. It was during this gen they moved away from backwards compatibility.
PS4 did not have it.
PS5 supports backwards compatibility with PS4 games and some PS1/2 games.

Perhaps I worded it badly. I was speaking about currently. PS5 is good for prior PS4 gen, but pretty terrible for anything before that. PS3 is only available via streaming. PS1 and PS2 selection is pretty damn poor. Most of the PS2 games available are the ones they already did during their PS2 on PS4 period(and quickly abandoned)

Banned
PS5 supports backwards compatibility with some PS1/2 games.

buying a game again or only getting it through a subscription is not backwards compatibility. backwards compatibility is when you can use your already owned games and play them on the new hardware

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Miceosoft is the most powerful software company on a parallel earth where rodents evolved to become the dominant species.

Fredrik

I started playing Assassin’s Creed 1 awhile back. Never played the original release, thought it would suck now, I remember the framerate talk around the release. But nope it played great, had the fps boost thing and all, honestly looked better than some mid budget new games.

93xfan

Banned
Its too much sucking at this point.

Demand more games, not BC.

BC is amazing! Never want to give up the following:

Beyond Good and Evil HD
SSX3
Ninja Gaiden Black
Braid
Geometry Wars 2
CoD2
Oblivion