• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miceosoft deserves praise for their BC initiative!

RickMasters

BC is amazing! Never want to give up the following:

Beyond Good and Evil HD
SSX3
Ninja Gaiden Black
Braid
Geometry Wars 2
CoD2
Oblivion
Lost Odyssey
Jade Empire
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes
Morrowind
Fallout 3
Virtua Fighter 2
DOA2 Ultimate
Perfect Dark Remaster
Rayman Origins

And many more that I’m not thinking of at the moment
Especially as a saturn fan! throw the X360 ports of daytona USA (the port I waited my whole life for! ) , radiant silvergun, fighting vipers, virtual on, guardian heroes, ikaruga..... I still play these games vis BC and will never get bored of them. especially daytona...takes me right back to the 90s and reminds me of the wonder and amazment I had for video games. ....they really dont feel like that anymore do they?....... :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:.......:messenger_persevering::messenger_persevering::messenger_persevering:

Only thing missing here is the arcade perfect ports we never go of xmen COTA last bronx and sega rally 1 and 2, sega touring car, indy 500,scud race! .....ports port of panzer dragoon saga,silhoette mirage burning ranger and the shining series RPG to xbox would have been games I would have kept on hard drives forever! I really wanted xbox to carry on the torch from sega. give sega a place to work like they were on their own console again...never happened but one can always dream.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Celebration should come from a job well done.

Three failed attempts does not equal a job well done.

Failed attempts ? well don't fucking tell that to the dozens of BC games on my console you cheeky bugger :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I hope they go right back into their 90s bag too ..... would mind revisiting 16 bit pitfall...maybe some tenchu or SiN.

Homer Drool GIF

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They're collector's items it's like sports cards or comics

That is a tiny portion of it. People still want to play these games, which is why there is such a large market for them aside from collectors. A great game remains a great game years on. Its why we STILL discuss games like Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, and more. And why very few discuss games like Halo 5, Metal Gear Survive, etc.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That is a tiny portion of it. People still want to play these games, which is why there is such a large market for them aside from collectors. A great game remains a great game years on. Its why we STILL discuss games like Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, and more. And why very few discuss games like Halo 5, Metal Gear Survive, etc.
People might boot them up for nostalgia but there's only a small minority who are playing those old games on the regular... a very small minority

People don't discuss Halo 5 because it wasn't a very good game imo the MP saved it

Last edited:
People might boot them up for nostalgia but there's only a small minority who are playing those old games on the regular... a very small minority

People don't discuss Halo 5 because it wasn't a very good game imo the MP saved it
Yeah, lumping in Halo 5 with Metal Gear Survive (say that 5 times fast) is a BIT much. The Halo 5 campaign, no matter what you think of the storytelling and the quality/variety of the missions, still played really well and was a showcase for the xbox One X when it came out. It's almost as if it wasn't really intended for a console like the Xbox One/One S...still play the multiplayer from time to time on my series X. Wish they could've lifted the framerate cap, as it would be glorious at 120fps but alas, it was not to be.

93xfan

Banned
Especially as a saturn fan! throw the X360 ports of daytona USA (the port I waited my whole life for! ) , radiant silvergun, fighting vipers, virtual on, guardian heroes, ikaruga..... I still play these games vis BC and will never get bored of them. especially daytona...takes me right back to the 90s and reminds me of the wonder and amazment I had for video games. ....they really dont feel like that anymore do they?....... :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:.......:messenger_persevering::messenger_persevering::messenger_persevering:

Only thing missing here is the arcade perfect ports we never go of xmen COTA last bronx and sega rally 1 and 2, sega touring car, indy 500,scud race! .....ports port of panzer dragoon saga,silhoette mirage burning ranger and the shining series RPG to xbox would have been games I would have kept on hard drives forever! I really wanted xbox to carry on the torch from sega. give sega a place to work like they were on their own console again...never happened but one can always dream.
Glad to see another gaming fan that enjoys retro/nostalgic games. I never want to give up some of these games.

Btw, Daytona really benefited from the free 16x Anisotropic Filtering. The road looks so clean now

RickMasters

Glad to see another gaming fan that enjoys retro/nostalgic games. I never want to give up some of these games.

Btw, Daytona really benefited from the free 16x Anisotropic Filtering. The road looks so clean now
I love em! never giving them up either! Built up quite a nice collection between Xbox and PC. gonna get a switch so I can grab all the old nintendo and PC engine stuff on there aswell as a few old megadrive games, that i really miss playing.

An old game is a lot like an old album...it reminds you of a different time. For me that means playing arcade games with freinds, on the same couch or hanging out in our local and long ago shut down arcades... importing saturn games at a time when everybody was on PS1 and N64 (I had those too, but my three saturns were my babies), and them being utterly blown away by my imported saturn version of xmen vs SF with the 4MB ram cart installed....playing some gangstarr, or wutang or nirvana or roni size playing out my old cerwin vega's.....kebabs...pizza...beers... winner stays on an all that....good times. We turned the turbo option all the way up to 8 because it ran even faster than the arcade! The saturn was my 'practice at home then kick ass at the arcade' console.

VF2 is an extremely polished version too. looks clean on modern displays and they didnt do anything with the visuals to mess with the look of the game, which I love. much like daytona and fighting vipers they are the ports I always wanted. For a while I thought we were finally gonna get arcade perfect ports of all the big model 2 and 3 arcade games to XBLA but it never happened. Damn shame as we may never see those games get the ports they deserve. especially last bronx. And sega owe everybody who bought a dreamcast at the time a port of scud race to this day!

Retro is where its at. too much fluff in a lot of these modern games.I play them all the same.... But Sometimes I just give up at the tutorials. Just give me a metroidvania type game and ill figure it all out myself and actually have fun. :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

I feel like the industry as a whole is not doing a good job of preserving their games and making them more widely available, after the platform they were on is long gone. And we need more widely available official retro pads, seeing as nobody make a controller with a descent D-pad anymore except maybe nintendo.

mrmustard

Banned
I read here often that people wouldn't switch consoles because of their library. So i guess people care about older games. I don't care about the first Xbox games, but many 360 games still look good and some even got enhanced. Look at that 12 years old game, it still looks good and actually wouldn't need a remake (would still take it though):

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I'm all for game preservation I too want to bring out a bunch of old games to remember old times one day

But let's be honest the ratio of people playing newer games to people playing anything past the 8th gen is probably like 10 - 1

I'm all for game preservation I too want to bring out a bunch of old games to remember old times one day

But let's be honest the ratio of people playing newer games to people playing anything past the 8th gen is probably like 10 - 1

But what if you missed out on one of the masterpiece class titles of old generations?

I don't replay games, eespecially 'that' old titles. Nostalgia is more than enough. But it's not possible to have played each and every game worth playing in any given generation.

Hobbygaming

But what if you missed out on one of the masterpiece class titles of old generations?

I don't replay games, eespecially 'that' old titles. Nostalgia is more than enough. But it's not possible to have played each and every game worth playing in any given generation.
I don't have the desire to play anything from the 7th gen or older with the exception of like 5 games

I don't have the desire to play anything from the 7th gen or older with the exception of like 5 games

I think most people buy these consoles to play new games. However while BC isn't essential it's still nice to have. It's not a deal breaker if the PS6 can't play PS5 games but bringing my library over is really nice.

I don't think BC will ever go away on PC due to how they work but consoles are a different story. Although I don't believe either Microsoft or Sony will get rid of BC going forward. Nintendo is still a wild card because their consoles are just so different than what Microsoft or Sony make.

The program should get all the praise in the world, but it's seems like it was just done to get one over the PS4 to make up for Knicket and the crap GPU. Now MS got a amazing console and GPU they seemed not to care anymore about BC

aries_71

I like it and it’s one of the reasons why I think Xbox digital libraries are somewhat more future-proof than with their competence. Some Xbox 360 games era are playing better than ever.

Shut0wen

I legitimately believe that if the Activision merger goes through, they will definitely put in a bit more work to get some of the 360 Activision era games that are currently not BC, to get them working.
I hope so but the fact they did all the cods and nothing else makes me think theres no more that could be done, i cant even think of what other activision games there is to add since everything that wasnt cod were licensed games except for singlarity

ManaByte

Gold Member
I legitimately believe that if the Activision merger goes through, they will definitely put in a bit more work to get some of the 360 Activision era games that are currently not BC, to get them working.
Doesn't matter if they own Activision, a lot of those older games would still have licensing issues that would need resolving. It goes beyond just music or cars, a lot of the time it could even be middleware or other tech used in the other game. There are a lot of first-party MS Xbox and 360 games that they couldn't get BC.

adamsapple

Doesn't matter if they own Activision, a lot of those older games would still have licensing issues that would need resolving. It goes beyond just music or cars, a lot of the time it could even be middleware or other tech used in the other game. There are a lot of first-party MS Xbox and 360 games that they couldn't get BC.

That ...... is depressingly true :(

I got mad max installed and ready to go! Looking forward to it.

Is this your first time playing it ? It's a pretty solid title, the BC makes it run at 120 FPS and makes it butter.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I love em! never giving them up either! Built up quite a nice collection between Xbox and PC. gonna get a switch so I can grab all the old nintendo and PC engine stuff on there aswell as a few old megadrive games, that i really miss playing.

An old game is a lot like an old album...it reminds you of a different time. For me that means playing arcade games with freinds, on the same couch or hanging out in our local and long ago shut down arcades... importing saturn games at a time when everybody was on PS1 and N64 (I had those too, but my three saturns were my babies), and them being utterly blown away by my imported saturn version of xmen vs SF with the 4MB ram cart installed....playing some gangstarr, or wutang or nirvana or roni size playing out my old cerwin vega's.....kebabs...pizza...beers... winner stays on an all that....good times. We turned the turbo option all the way up to 8 because it ran even faster than the arcade! The saturn was my 'practice at home then kick ass at the arcade' console.

VF2 is an extremely polished version too. looks clean on modern displays and they didnt do anything with the visuals to mess with the look of the game, which I love. much like daytona and fighting vipers they are the ports I always wanted. For a while I thought we were finally gonna get arcade perfect ports of all the big model 2 and 3 arcade games to XBLA but it never happened. Damn shame as we may never see those games get the ports they deserve. especially last bronx. And sega owe everybody who bought a dreamcast at the time a port of scud race to this day!
Sega gives up too quickly. Thought they’d do more Sega Ages games for switch (I want a better version of Ristar).

Retro is where its at. too much fluff in a lot of these modern games.I play them all the same.... But Sometimes I just give up at the tutorials. Just give me a metroidvania type game and ill figure it all out myself and actually have fun. :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:
I recommend Hollow knight. The perfect Metroidvania imo.

Also, been playing Metroid Prime remastered on Switch. Holds up so well

I feel like the industry as a whole is not doing a good job of preserving their games and making them more widely available, after the platform they were on is long gone. And we need more widely available official retro pads, seeing as nobody make a controller with a descent D-pad anymore except maybe nintendo.
I’m liking the series X dpad, even though it’s different.

DaGwaphics

It’s a good feature but a shame they abandoned their BC programmes far too early, both in terms of games available and FPS boost. I honestly thought it would be an ongoing project.

The OG Xbox era is especially underrepresented. I wish they would release the emulator that they had created for 360 in an open state. It was proven already with modded 360 that the emulator was golden in the majority of titles. I know there was a nvidia licensing fee, but just make it a paid app.

Though I guess they figure those disks are ageing anyway and who knows how long disk drives will be a thing on Xbox.

adamsapple

They definitely took the right lesson from the disastrous D-pad on the 360 controller. The ones thereafter have been much better.

The OG Xbox era is especially underrepresented. I wish they would release the emulator that they had created for 360 in an open state. It was proven already with modded 360 that the emulator was golden in the majority of titles. I know there was a nvidia licensing fee, but just make it a paid app.

Though I guess they figure those disks are ageing anyway and who knows how long disk drives will be a thing on Xbox.

OG Xbox has mostly been forgotten, even PC enthusiasts don't work on the emulation scene for it like PS3/360 right now.

DaGwaphics

^ True. For me personally, I have a hard time going back to 3d games from the PS1 and Xbox days unless I already have nostalgia for the game. For games I have no prior experience with it's basically just ps360 era and newer stuff.

paolo11

Sega gives up too quickly. Thought they’d do more Sega Ages games for switch (I want a better version of Ristar).

How I pray for a fight pad that uses a Series X dpad.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Some of my screenshots of games I've played through Xbox BC:

Mirror's Edge:
50964298742_7635d1b769_o.png

51023304707_b537628e8e_o.png

Gears of War 3:
48115286083_61cc456f6f_o.png

48115257306_8e8d7f9d81_o.png

Final Fantasy XIII:
31015988087_2e12bfdaf6_o.png

45042893985_0d8e3f2fd2_o.png

50952416458_b3f8fa6fdf_o.png

It's just shocking how good these games look. They could honestly pass as current gen games at times (which is amazing but also kind of sad).

Even Xbox 360 launch titles like Kameo look damn good @4k:
48043369346_815b53fc46_o.png

48043370931_a2167b34bb_o.png

Last edited:

RickMasters

Currently playing moonscars as it goes! I have hollow knight in the backlog. That’s next, after I beat moonscars.

SHA

I tried searching but couldn't find a BC thread to put this in. Mods please feel free to merge this if there is one.

So, me and one of my friends have been loving the dead space vibes lately and as we had never fully completed dead space 3 we decided to jump back In on xbox as we had started it years ago on pc.

We thought, let's play on xbox just for ease of setting up. Comfy couch etc.

So here we are, almost all achievements...playing through the awakening DLC now after completing the main game on impossible difficulty.

We are just blown away by Microsofts love and consideration to backwards compatibility. We fired it up and was like. This ain't 30fps and the HDR looks pretty damn good. One press of the guide and it lists auto hdr and framerate boost on the right side. I don't know what resolution it's running at but ir looks pretty clean on my 65" lg CX. I imagine it's 1080p?

Anyway, just really impressive stuff and adds serious life into backwards compatible games. Loving it. What a great Friday night just playing some nice action horror vibes with all the lights off and shooting shit while shooting shit.

Is there any other good co op games from the 360 era that has this kind of love and attention? I imagine it's a game by game basis?

Xbox BC is really amazing. 🔥 🔥 🔥
Sure, it's amazing especially
for a first timer and an old ex 360 owner like me, this means a lot and BTW my dead console hasn't been refunded but who cares ,the games still look gorgeous.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
I don't get why this is getting hate. All BC games perform better, look better, and it just works well. Shame they didn't get more Xbox games on there, but more than half the 360 library is playable directly on the device.

What an odd thread. Especially after Microsoft has abandoned the program for over a year now. It would be one thing if they just recently came out and said here's another 100 XBox 360 and OG Xbox games, with some of them enhanced. But it seems like Microsoft is done with backwards compatibility.

Most likely because they found out the same thing every other console manufacturer finds out. Backwards compatibility is a nice little cake topper, but it is nowhere near one of the main reasons people buy a new console. And sales of the PS4 and PS5 prove it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom