• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Jackson's Thriller and Beat It music videos in 4K

Modi1984

Neo Member
gif11-18-20226-07-02apodxo.gif

gif11-18-20228-28-18ac6dzt.gif

MacReady13

About 10 years ago one of my favourite film makers, John Landis was here in Melbourne, Australia for a bit of a retrospective on his career.

We saw The Blues Brothers at The Astor Theatre with an introduction and then q@a from Landis that night. Later that week he was at a venue signing items, taking photos and then showed his own private copy of Thriller on the big screen, with a little story about the making of the film before the showing.

As a massive Thriller fan I can tell you I have never seen that music video/film look and sound as good as it did that evening. The colours popped. The sound was rich. It was like seeing it for the 1st time over again but seeing it the way it was actually meant to be seen, and on the big screen as well. A week in my life I'll never forget.

Jennings

Growing up I was too poor to have MTV and never stayed up late enough to see Friday Night Videos on NBC. I can't recall ever seeing the video for Beat It, even though Michael Jackson was the biggest star of the era and I knew all his songs.

Having watched the video today for the first time, man, all those grimy dancers just look like a crowd of sweat and illness.

Aesius

Thriller in 4K:

Amazing. MJ blows his backup dancers out of the water here again. That slide/shimmy with the head wobble move? Compare him to everyone else. He's the only one who nails the unnatural looking movement.

This video truly scared the hell out of me as a little kid. I remember always feeling so much relief when MJ turns back into his normal self during the zombie dance part.

VulcanRaven

I have been listening the Thriller 40 anniversary album on Tidal and the new songs and demos are good. Its great to hear the demo version of Behind the Mask. I wish they had included Hot Street. I wonder when they are going to release a new full album? I hope they have enough material left. I liked Xscape.

Last edited:

Tams

Prince was probably 10x the talent MJ was. He was proficient with dozens of instruments. He had incredible vocal range. He wrote and composed all of his own music. Wrote hits for other artists. He could dance his ass off too. Prince was leaping off giant amps and doing the splits and all sorts of crazy shit on stage. I think his catalogue of music is stronger than MJ's too. I'll take Sign O The Times over Thriller any day.

I've just... never felt anything for Prince's music other than Raspberry Beret and Purple Rain, and even they outstay their welcome for me.

Queen or Michael Jackson though... sure they do have some stinkers, but some of their songs are just epic.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I've just... never felt anything for Prince's music
Come on, you telling me you don't feel that pop power ballad greatness from this? This track came out in the early 80's but practically has the DNA for 90's R&B songs.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The theme song will never not be stuck in my head every time someone brings that show up.

The singer of that song, Irene Cara, passed away a few days ago... She was 63.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The singer of that song, Irene Cara, passed away a few days ago... She was 63.

That song will never not be a banger!

I hate Prince and MJ comparisons, they are my faves. After awhile you stop comparing and realize that they both knew each other were special and both have their categories.

One thing MJ has over all artists is he managed to make the best music video, then he did it again and again. The only person I ever seen that I think would have challenged MJ on the video front, is not anyone that would probably come to many peoples minds, like to me Beyonce doesn't have a single video that challenges MJ. But Missy Elliot. If Missy had more output she would challenge MJ, she does atleast have some great videos.
I'd say Madonna is above Missy Elliot. The woman has some incredible masterpieces directed by directors like David Fincher that were really ahead of their time. If we think about it what Michael Jackson did for males, she did for females. Stuff like Like a Prayer, Justify My Love, Papa Don't Preach, Take a Bow, Bad Girl, the amazing Rain, the ahead of its time Bedtime Story, Frozen, Ray of Light, the original anti-war video for American Life, etc...

But i agree they were in a league of their own. They didn't just use music videos to promote their songs. They elevated them to works of art. That's why both of them have music videos mentioned in art classes and stuff.

Exactly on the art. Well my comparison was more out of the modern artists. Madonna is kinda cemented on some other level. To me Madonna is the queen of pop music. The other week I was just saying, while I'm not a fan of the person of Madonna, music wise for me its MJ Prince and Madonna as my top three. You cant mess with Madonna's contribution to music. I put Rihanna above Beyonce and Madonna far over either. Madonna has some good videos. Whilst I never liked Justify. If I was going to pick someone to carry on the spectacle, art and style of of MJs videos it would still be Missy. Frozen is a simple concept. i Love Take a bow. Madonna has alot of easy concepts that work and fit the songs.

Like MJ, Missy is going to flash some energy, cool choreography, some crazy fashion and some cool angles in every video. Some of it is low budget looking, but she's still elevated the video as art. Current videos dont really grab me like this.

Exactly on the art. Well my comparison was more out of the modern artists. Madonna is kinda cemented on some other level. To me Madonna is the queen of pop music. The other week I was just saying, while I'm not a fan of the person of Madonna, music wise for me its MJ Prince and Madonna as my top three. You cant mess with Madonna's contribution to music. I put Rihanna above Beyonce and Madonna far over either. Madonna has some good videos. Whilst I never liked Justify. If I was going to pick someone to carry on the spectacle, art and style of of MJs videos it would still be Missy. Frozen is a simple concept. i Love Take a bow. Madonna has alot of easy concepts that work and fit the songs.

Like MJ, Missy is going to flash some energy, cool choreography, some crazy fashion and some cool angles in every video. Some of it is low budget looking, but she's still elevated the video as art. Current videos dont really grab me like this.

Lose Control was such a banger. The video even elevated the song more seriously

VulcanRaven

This is my favorite concert:

I hope they release Bad Tour in better quality at some point. They did shoot some concerts on 35mm film but it looks like they don't have all the footage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom