• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat gets a 4K restoration and screening. Hosted by Chris Nolan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyBook

Can I at least get a VHS version of Michael Mann's The Keep? I figured DVD was asking too much, and Blu Ray being right out.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
HDR grading on older movies is fucking gross. (and by older I mean pre-2015) Hopefully this will mean a new regular Blu, though.

Ridley327

Can I at least get a VHS version of Michael Mann's The Keep? I figured DVD was asking too much, and Blu Ray being right out.

The closest you're going to get is that documentary on the film that's (eventually) coming out. Mann giving his blessing to the documentary is probably as close as he's willing to touch the film these days.

Mitch

Banned
I'd definitely go out of my way to watch this if it was close to my area.

Think I've seen the film once or twice, but it left such a great impression.

paskowitz

GOAT heist movie. GOAT shoot out scene. GOAT sound design. Best Mann film.

The Heat shoot out is my favorite scene from any movie. Also the benchmark for any new speaker/sound system.

FStop7

Banned
Wish I'd known about this earlier, I would have gone in a heartbeat. This is my favorite movie of all time.

Greatest Polar of all times... Perfection.

Fun fact : Danny Trejo (no listed in the Op cast) is playing a character named Trejo. Must be handy ^^
Mann purposely puts as many former cops/criminals in his films as possible, usually in smaller roles. Trejo has stated that he helped consult with some of the robbery scenes (he used to be a stick up man waaaaay back in the day).
Danny Trejo said:
You just make it look real. You show somebody how to hold a gun. You show somebody how to walk into a bank. You show somebody how to take control. Everybody has an idea of what an armed robbery is supposed to be, and the reality is, you have to scare people up until a point. If you scare them too much, you will lose control, because they will freak out. That’s the last thing you want. So some people will come in, “All right, you motherfuckers! Everybody get up against the fucking…” and it’s like, “Dude, they’re going to blow. You understand what I’m saying?” But if you walk up to somebody and say, “Look, I’ve got a gun, and if you make one move, I’ll kill you.” All of a sudden, they take that in, okay, they’ve taken that into their senses, and they’re saying, “I better not move.”

jason10mm

Gold Member
I remember seeing HEAT in the theaters. The bank shootout nearly killed me. I went in expecting something along the lines of Miami Vice (and boy was I disappointed when that film came out...) and was absolutely blown away. After The Last Of The Mohicans I didn't think he could get any better...I was wrong.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mann purposely puts as many former cops/criminals in his films as possible, usually in smaller roles. Trejo has stated that he helped consult with some of the robbery scenes (he used to be a stick up man waaaaay back in the day).
AVC: Did you take acting classes?

DT: In 1985 it was a little different. I would just go with the extras and the director would see me. I was always Inmate No. 1, and I always had one line like, “Kill ’em all.” [Laughs.] It was like, “I can do this.” I remember a director handed me a shotgun and he said, “Kick in this door and take control.” There was a poker game going inside, and the director said there would be a couple of stunt people inside. He said to improvise. So I kick in the door, somebody jumps up, I bash them with the shotgun, and I ask this guy, “Oh, you wanna die, huh?” This lady starts screaming, and I put this gun right in her face. So the director yells, “Cut! Cut! God, Danny, where did you study?” I said, “Let me see. Von’s. Safeway. Thrifty Mart.” [Laughs.] So all this stuff I was doing, I just knew. You’ve got to remember, I was Inmate No. 1 for the first five years of my career. So shit, I know how to be an inmate.
Hahahahaha.

Fuuuuuuuuuu day one bluray purchase. God damn I wish theaters played the restoration too.

One of the GOAT movies. Top 3 mann too

The last great Michael Mann movie.

Ok second last great, Collateral was amazing.

Hate to be such a broken record about this director but The Insider, Miami Vice, Blackhat and Ali were all great movies. 2 of which (if not more of them) I'd put over collateral easy.

Holy shit, I would kill to see this at a good theater. Still though, the fact that Heat is not only getting a new 4k restoration but getting actual attention for it makes me happy.

Guzim

Nice! I knew there was a reason why I still didn't own this on blu-ray. Also, does this mean that Dunkirk is done filming?

The dialogue in this movie man, the dialogue.

Vincent Hanna: What are you, a monk?
Neil McCauley: I have a woman.
Vincent Hanna: What do you tell her?
Neil McCauley: I tell her I'm a salesman.
Vincent Hanna: So then, if you spot me coming around that corner... you just gonna walk out on this woman? Not say good bye?
Neil McCauley: That's the discipline.
Vincent Hanna: That's pretty vacant, you know.
Neil McCauley: Yeah, it is what it is. It's that or we both better go do something else, pal.
Vincent Hanna: I don't know how to do anything else.
Neil McCauley: Neither do I.
Vincent Hanna: I don't much want to either.
Neil McCauley: Neither do I.
And
Neil McCauly said:
Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.
Bonus
Alan Marciano: Why'd I get mixed up with that bitch?
Vincent Hanna: Cause she's got a great ass... and you got your head all the way up it! Ferocious, aren't I? When I think of asses, a woman's ass, something comes out of me.

Hyun Sai

Former bank robberer or not, Trejo is no fool either :

DT: Steven Seagal. [Laughs.] He was cool. He’s all macho, “I got bigger nuts than you.” But he was cool. He was all right. He kept trying to get me to do my own stunts. I went, “Ah, hell no. They got this guy who looks just like me.” At times he would get overzealous, you know what I mean? You do your own stunts as an actor, and you end up getting hurt. It’s not your job. You’ve got stunt guys. Stunt guys make a lot of money.

I'm in tear here :
DT: Desperado. That was the one. Boy, that thing was amazing, because that character was so strong, and never said a word. I kept asking Robert, “Come on, give me a line, man,” and he wouldn’t. “No, no. This is heavy. I’m telling you, Danny, you’re so strong.” “Give me a line!” I’m screaming at him. “No.” So, after the movie came out, we were in front of Sony, we were talking in this big group over at Sony, and somebody raises their hand and says, “You know, Danny, in that movie, your character was so strong and never said a line. Was that an actor’s choice?” I looked right in Robert’s eye and said, “Yes it was.” He gave me the finger. [Laughs.]

Wow, just read in that interview that Trejo is more or less the reason Vin Diesel is where he's at lol...

br3wnor

Hate to be such a broken record about this director but The Insider, Miami Vice, Blackhat and Ali were all great movies. 2 of which (if not more of them) I'd put over collateral easy.

I'll definitely have to check out all 4 of those as Collateral is one of my favorite movies ever to re-watch. An all time great Cruise performance.

Heat is amazing, really happy to give the 4K Blu-Ray a spin later this year.

Screening was last night. Variety posted a summary of the chat.

Al Pacino finally admitted it: Vincent Hanna, the dedicated Los Angeles police detective he plays in Michael Mann’s 1995 crime saga “Heat,” is strung out on cocaine throughout the film.

Talking character specifics, De Niro spoke about visual cues. “At the onset, I thought there should be that difference in the characters in terms of how they come off, what colors they’re in,” he said.

Fox Home Entertainment is targeting early 2017 for a release of the restoration, which looked incredible, Spinotti’s cityscape imagery as dazzling as ever. Indeed, “Heat” maintains an interesting place in Mann’s filmography, before he took the digital plunge and captured the nighttime look of the city so accurately in “Collateral.” It’s built with more classical imagery, kissed by lens flares, painting a dream-like atmosphere that is nevertheless a dark place where men break the law and others hunt them for it.

nolan.jpg

The Academy's twitter said "look for videos soon."

I'll definitely have to check out all 4 of those as Collateral is one of my favorite movies ever to re-watch. An all time great Cruise performance.

Heat is amazing, really happy to give the 4K Blu-Ray a spin later this year.

The Insider is an easy choice. As is Ali.

I love Miami Vice but that's the more polarizing one. Whether or not you liked that kind of dictates whether you will even tolerate blackhat lol

Early 2017 for the bluray then? Dope.

Fevaweva

I look forward to a new blu ray version coming out sometime in the near future. The one out now isn't that great.

The Insider is an easy choice. As is Ali.

I love Miami Vice but that's the more polarizing one. Whether or not you liked that kind of dictates whether you will even tolerate blackhat lol

Early 2017 for the bluray then? Dope.

Ha, this is exactly my thought on Blackhat. If you hate Miami Vice you'll definitely hate Blackhat. If you love Miami Vice, there's a chance you might kind of like Blackhat.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Man, I'd love to see Heat have a cinema run again so kids can see what a great action set piece really is. All these people jerking off to superheroes fighting need to watch the brilliance of Kilmer reloading a gun in real time like a boss.

ElyrionX

GOAT

Though it was kind of disappointing to find out that De Niro and Pacino never did do any filming together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom