• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat gets a 4K restoration and screening. Hosted by Chris Nolan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo

Posted? Apologies if so. Screening is on September 7th but it's already sold out. There will be a stand by line but good luck.
http://www.oscars.org/events/heat
The Academy celebrates Michael Mann’s Heat on the big screen with a new 4K restoration and Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Michael Mann and other cast and crew in a conversation moderated by Christopher Nolan.

The crew of a fierce, professional thief (De Niro) and an obsessively driven LAPD detective (Pacino) are locked in deadly opposition as they vector towards each other.

“So superbly matched are Pacino and De Niro that the movie seems dual-powered. They’re a study in positive and negative charisma… The movie’s protagonists gaze into the mirror and see, gazing back, a stranger living on borrowed time. Heat is Mann’s ode to mortality… midlife crisis as last chance. Each character carries an abyss inside. In Mann’s twilight vision, Los Angeles isn’t a lush playground but a sprawling necropolis.” (James Wolcott, Vanity Fair)

Written and directed by Michael Mann
Produced by Michael Mann and Art Linson
Executive Producers Arnon Milchan and Pieter Jan Brugge
Cast: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore, Diane Venora, Amy Brenneman, Dennis Haysbert, Ashley Judd, Mykelti Williamson, Wes Studi, Ted Levine, William Fichtner, Natalie Portman, Tom Noonan, Kevin Gage, Hank Azaria, Susan Traylor, Kim Staunton and Jon Voight
Running time: 172 minutes
Format: Heat will be presented in a new 4K DCP, restored by Stefan Sonnenfeld (Company 3) and Michael Mann.

Heat is one of my favorite films and this would of been great to attend but I only found out about it today. Either way the 4K blu-ray is supposed to be coming this fall after the screening.

Erevador

Ah, sold out, too bad. Would have loved this.

Mann's a great talent and fascinating person. Got to see the restored Last of the Mohicans at a screening with him a few years back and it was a great experience.

strafer

Nothing have come close to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQNBg6I29gI

FUCK ME ON A STICK...

whenever I get a new sound system I always put this on.

I brought this movie to a store to test out a few systems and tvs...the people around were impressed with the sound in this movie, THEY HADN'T SEEN IT BEFORE.

I WAS LIKE...BRO

I've never seen HEAT but a couple of people have told me it is pretty dull aside from an amazing shoot-out scene. I should watch it and decide for myself, it's been on TV about a million times but I always miss it. The UHD Blu-Ray sounds like the time to jump in.

darscot

Loved this movie, one of the greatest gun fights of all time. That being said the ending is a complete cheat and to me no way Pacino doesn't get blown away.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I've never seen HEAT but a couple of people have told me it is pretty dull aside from an amazing shoot-out scene. I should watch it and decide for myself, it's been on TV about a million times but I always miss it. The UHD Blu-Ray sounds like the time to jump in.

Don't trust those people's opinion on anything...ever.

strafer

that's why everytime Michael Mann comes out with a new movie I'm looking forward to the shootout scenes the most.

Hyun Sai

Greatest Polar of all times... Perfection.

Fun fact : Danny Trejo (no listed in the Op cast) is playing a character named Trejo. Must be handy ^^

Shit, there were rumblings on blu-ray forums since last year that there was a new restoration coming. Can't wait to see it however I can.

Hopefully there's a video of the conversation.

gdt

Fire those people from your life.

Unfriend those people

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
That shooting scene...

giphy.gif

taybul

There's a ton of character building and the writing is absolutely superb, giving each side (cops and robbers) equal treatment and development. The shootout is just icing, really.

Tell those folks to stick with the Fast & Furious series.

Meier

Robert Rodriguez's TV channel (El Rey) has a show on it called The Director's Chair. I've only ever watched El Rey once and it was to see his episode of it with Michael Mann. It was wonderful:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom