• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat Remastered Blu-ray: May 9/17! ($8 on Amazon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For N. America. Damn Brits already got theirs in February.

From Blu-ray.com:
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has revealed that it will bring to Blu-ray the Director's Definitive Blu-ray Edition of Michael Mann's crime drama Heat (1995), starring Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight, and Tom Sizemore. The release will be available for purchase on May 9.

The release will be sourced from a NEW 4K REMASTER of the film, supervised by director Michael Mann.

Official studio synopsis: Oscar winners Al Pacino and Robert De Niro both drive one of the most powerful and complex crime dramas of all time - four-time Oscar nominee Michael Mann's 1995 classic Heat., arriving in an all-new Director's Definitive Edition May 9 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.

Special Features:
NEW Academy Panel reuniting Mann, Pacino and De Niro and moderated by Christopher Nolan
NEW Toronto International Film Festival Q&A with Mann
Audio Commentary by Michael Mann
The Making of Heat
True Crime
Crime Stories
Into the Fire
Pacino and De Niro: The Conversation
Return to the Scene of the Crime
Additional Footage - Deleted Scenes
Scene 5 - Season's starting early
Scene 42 - Nicest guy on the block
Scene 55 - Albert and Hanna (Alternate Take)
Scene 62 – Shakedown
Scene 76 - Murder in C-Block
Scene 96A - Let's Dance
Scene 125 - Late arrival
Scene 148/147 - Where's Anna?
Scene 177B - Double the worst trouble
Scene 191 - Nate delivers
Scene 204A - No response
Theatrical Trailers
Surprise of a Lifetime
Two Actors Collide
Closing In

Technical Specs:
Audio:
English DTS-HD-MA 5.1
Spanish DTS 5.1
French DTS 5.1
English DD 5.1
Spanish DD 2.0 Surround
French DD 2.0 Surround
Subtitles
English
English SDH
French
Spanish

The new badass cover:
8120.jpg

Blu-ray.com review of the new transfer from the UK release:
The release is sourced from a new 4K remaster of Heat which was supervised by director Mann. I did some extensive comparisons between the original U.S. release from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and this new release and can confirm that there are indeed some very obvious discrepancies between the two. If you have a very large screen or a projector you will immediately notice improvements in terms of depth and fluidity. The difference is especially obvious during close-ups -- as virtually all of them have a much 'tighter' appearance now -- but during larger panoramic shots delineation is also superior. During a lot of the indoor footage the images also appear better balanced and smoother (not artificially repolished with digital tools). To be perfectly clear, the darker/indoor footage actually makes it quite clear that the master that was used to produce the release is of exceptionally high-quality because density is quite simply outstanding. Furthermore, the color grading is different, though I personally do not find the discrepancy to be substantial thus changing the film's intended atmosphere. During the daylight footage, for instance, it is often easy to tell that there is a shift towards slightly warmer nuances (see screencapture #24 and screencapture #3 from the review of the first release), but the new grading does not create the impression that there is an across-the-board alteration of color values. On the contrary, there are numerous segments where it is quite difficult to pinpoint the difference(s). There are also areas where it appears that the new grading enhances some of the grays and gray nuances, giving the film a slightly more prominent 'steely' appearance. Image stability is outstanding. The encoding is good, though there is still some room for small optimizations. My score is 4.75/5.00.

YouTube 1080P clips:
Street shootout Part 1/Part 2
Final confrontation

Amazon Links:
Canada
USA

Lock if old. Yadda yadda yadda. Great (not big) ass!

GREAT ASS

She gotta GREAT ASS.

Should lock it up for that. You can get your thread locked WALKIN YOUR DOGGY.

The weird thing about this set is that nobody seems to know whether or not he's actually fucked with the movie? At least that's what I heard a couple days ago - it wasn't a guarantee he hadn't gone back in and tweaked it some.

Mifune

Mehmber
Oh man(n), I need to get this. And I stopped buying discs, too.

Why is it Fox, though, when WB put it out originally?

GREAT ASS

She gotta GREAT ASS.

Should lock it up for that. You can get your thread locked WALKIN YOUR DOGGY.

Dammit. My bad. My deepest apologies to those offended including you oh Lore Expert!

Btw I was going through random forums and some people are saying that he re-graded the colour of the film. It's more teal influenced. Also that there's some cropping. Take that as you will.

Dammit. My bad. My deepest apologies to those offended including you oh Lore Expert!

maxresdefault.jpg

s'alright.

(The story goes that Azaria there had no idea what the fuck it was that just happened to him in that scene, by the way. That's an honest reaction, apparently. Pacino just... did that. No warning.)

lol you even hear Azaria say "..jesus" when it cuts back to Pacino.

can totally tell it was improvised since Pacino is clearly about to say "big" and then reconsiders.

maxresdefault.jpg

s'alright.

(The story goes that Azaria there had no idea what the fuck it was that just happened to him in that scene, by the way. That's an honest reaction, apparently. Pacino just... did that. No warning.)

I remember when I first saw that scene I was like "Um... Is this intentional?". I've grown to love it over time. It's Pacino pacinoing it up to 11.

The panel on the blu-ray is the one where Pacino acts like it's a big secret that he was playing the character as if he was on coke.

"I've never told anyone this before..."

640.jpg

Nah, Al, woulda never caught that.

The panel on the blu-ray is the one where Pacino acts like it's a big secret that he was playing the character as if he was on coke.

"I've never told anyone this before..."

Nah, Al, woulda never caught that.

I always thought it was the stress of his home and work life getting to him. Or just a random scene for Pacino to ham it up. Never thought of cocaine before. Now I can't unsee it.

So I just found out that Keanu Reeves was originally supposed to play Kilmer's part before he backed out. Man, that would have been some crazy shit:
Reeves' refusal to cave on Speed 2 didn't sit well in Hollywood circles. And it didn't help that he also passed on playing Chris Shiherlis (Val Kilmer's role) in Michael Mann's Heat in order to spend a month playing Hamlet at Canada's Manitoba Theatre Centre. From that point on, Reeves told The Telegraph that it's been a struggle for him to book any studio movies. ”That's a good old Hollywood story! That was a whole, 'Hey, kid, this is what happens in Hollywood: I said no to the number two and I never worked with the studio again!'"

Renekton

The film didn't age well imo, I watched the heist shootout and these guys are standing out in the open like action heroes.

Nokterian

Cool i see it is already on sale in the netherlands, good i am going to buy it. The shoot out is one those legendary scenes that can't be topped.

The weird thing about this set is that nobody seems to know whether or not he's actually fucked with the movie? At least that's what I heard a couple days ago - it wasn't a guarantee he hadn't gone back in and tweaked it some.

I don't think Mann's messed with this movie much beyond snipping out the "detritus" line and "FEROCIOUS, AREN'T I?" back when it was released on DVD.

I mean unless you count the slightly altered color grading and slight crop on this 4K remaster.

rec0ded1

I remember showing my girl this movie a few years after it came out and how she lost her shit when Deniro takes that exit but we get that shit don't we.

*sips on whiskey*

The film didn't age well imo, I watched the heist shootout and these guys are standing out in the open like action heroes.

You're out of your mind.

Such a brilliant film. The ending with Moby's god moving over the face of the waters and the hand clutch always nearly brings me to tears. Just a brilliant, beautiful, moving epic in all ways, and DeNiro's last great performance.

Reven

The downtown shootout is so good at portraying real shoot and move tactics. One of my favorite pieces of cinema. Plus they have Pacino running around with that gorgeous FN FNC. I love that gun.

I need to give this another watch. I haven't seen this in 20 years or so. I remember thinking it was okay and way overhyped back then (like most of Michael Mann's stuff), but I will see how I feel after some major distance from it. I think the only Mann film that I will feverishly defend is The Insider. Fuck, that movie deserved to do so much better than it did.

It's one of the best films ever made. I don't know if you could say that Heat belongs under the categorization of Americana, but in my mind it is essential; Like Deliverance and Easy Riders. It's a depiction of American life that is impossible anywhere else.
Michael Mann invented this urban style. Nobody can get these sorts of shots of the urban metropolisis, and those that get close (Drive) are- imitating Manns style.

You saw it in Collateral too, and from the vibe I get from a lot of you guys- Miami Vice too. But I think Miami Vice, the TV Show is still superior, with Collateral and HEAT being his magnus opus.

I need to give this another watch. I haven't seen this in 20 years or so. I remember thinking it was okay and way overhyped back then (like most of Michael Mann's stuff), but I will see how I feel after some major distance from it. I think the only Mann film that I will feverishly defend is The Insider. Fuck, that movie deserved to do so much better than it did.
When I first saw it, when it first came out, that's how I felt, too. I was so, so wrong. It's brilliant cinema, my favorite Mann film, and one of my favorite films of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom