• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat Remastered Blu-ray: May 9/17! ($8 on Amazon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada gets the mangled cover 😢
51DGZtB9aNL._SY400_.jpg

Nielm

Since I'm in the UK, I got this last month.

There was talk about it having soundmix issues, but I didn't encounter them when I watched it. The movie's dialogue was clear and the action sounded phenomenal. The image quality was fantastic too. Of course, the movie itself is great.

Saw the bluray today. I've only seen the film once before, but I really liked the video transfer here. It looks terrific for a mid-90's film transfer. As mind blowing as the sound mix on the action scenes are, the changes in volume really are jarring. It was difficult to understand a third of the dialogue because of the whisper quiet volume, but the action scenes are well balanced??? It's super weird, but I assume that's part of the original film.

Pretty great movie, but I did not remember it being 3 hours long. It sure felt like it

It's one of the best films ever made. I don't know if you could say that Heat belongs under the categorization of Americana, but in my mind it is essential; Like Deliverance and Easy Riders. It's a depiction of American life that is impossible anywhere else.
Michael Mann invented this urban style. Nobody can get these sorts of shots of the urban metropolisis, and those that get close (Drive) are- imitating Manns style.

You saw it in Collateral too, and from the vibe I get from a lot of you guys- Miami Vice too. But I think Miami Vice, the TV Show is still superior, with Collateral and HEAT being his magnus opus.

Absolutely this. Mann's influence on Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive runs deep.

Preezy

My all-time favourite film, just ordered my copy.

There is nothing better than putting this on at about 10pm with the lights off, pouring a nice glass of strong alcohol and just letting the film wash over you.

Jb

As as been pointed out in this thread, the audio mix is unfortunately pretty poor in a few dialogue-heavy scenes. The most egregious example is in the restaurant where De Niro meets his future GF for the first time. For some reason Mann decided it was more important for us to hear the sound of the kitchen and the customers eating than the actual dialogue.

strafer

As as been pointed out in this thread, the audio mix is unfortunately pretty poor in a few dialogue-heavy scenes. The most egregious example is in the restaurant where De Niro meets his future GF for the first time. For some reason Mann decided it was more important for us to hear the sound of the kitchen and the customers eating than the actual dialogue.

How is the audio during the shootout?

strafer

Good. Didn't nothing any big difference with the OG blu ray but I also don't have a crazy good audio setup.

Good, that's the best thing about Heat, you don't need a super complicated system to enjoy the beast that is the Heat shootout, a pair of stereo speakers works just fine.

Thaedolus

Pulling the trigger on this and waiting until I can play it on my nice audio setup which is currently in storage...

Preezy

Why does the Canadian box have "Heat" then "Tension" underneath it? To the casual observer you'd think it was a double-pack :S

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I was fortunate enough to attend the 4K screening (the panel with Christopher Nolan is included on this release) and it was amazing. Really disappointed they didn't opt to put out the UHD Blu-Ray

they want you to double dip. Holding out for the UHD blu-ray.

Preezy

Ah ok, yeah I didn't even notice the double language.

I thought he was preferring the one with the characters overlayed on LA:
170706_large.jpg

Do not like this one.

This is the version that's on the UK Amazon. I prefer the US one that's been shown in the thread, really nice looking. But who cares? It'll sit in my film drawer when I'm not watching it so it doesn't matter what the cover looks like.

see5harp

I don't understand why you wouldn't just wait for the 4K at this point. I hate reading about their new 4k or 2k remaster. Well hurry the fuck up Criterion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom