• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter - Gamepass will destroy Sony. Sony will cease to exist.

kingfey

Banned
I agree. Technically, you could spend $12 a year on Game Pass by not renewing. The thing is most consumers are not that savy or they don't care about it enough. They just want their online gameplay and $60 is fine with them. So why bother to do the trick at all?
Most consumers would be lucky if the were that smart.

I signed up for hulu, so my dad can watch the walking dead. I added a new channel. After that, my dad stopped watching hulu, and took 3 month vocation. And I forgot I added that channel. I logged in to hulu, to check the subscription tier, And here is my starz channel, taking 9$ from me. I cancelled that plan, and now I am paying $13. For 6 months, I have been paying $22 for both service. That is $54 gone from my bank, because I forgot to cancel that plan.

People are that stupid. So I doubt people would notice the new recurring after the 3 year plan ends.
Plus no one does this trick, because its not common. I had every chance to do it. Didnt do it, and now I am paying $15 a month, since I didnt do the $180 trick. Now I cant do it, because I need to cancel my gamepass for 4 month. tough luck for me.

kingfey

Banned
Or simply, they just want online and that costs a lot less than Game Pass Ultimate. That doesn't make them 'dumb'. They are smart to only pay for what they want/need.
They are dumb, because they are using Xbox console. That plan has xbox day1 games for cheap, plus the live gold and free games. If you are an xbox user, you must get that gamepass ultimate. Or else you are wasting a good deal.
Only people that wont join it are kids.

Topher

Gold Member
They are dumb, because they are using Xbox console. That plan has xbox day1 games for cheap, plus the live gold and free games. If you are an xbox user, you must get that gamepass ultimate. Or else you are wasting a good deal.
Only people that wont join it are kids.

Right now there is little incentive for anyone to get GP who isn't a big Xbox fan. That's why there are only 25 million GP members across Xbox console and PC.

A "good deal" is subjective. What is a "good deal" for you isn't a "good deal" for everyone else.

Example, if I were not getting Game Pass through Microsoft Rewards, I wouldn't have it at all right now. I'd wait until the fall when Starfield releases. There is simply nothing there I want to play or haven't already played.

And let's not pretend Xbox "day1 games" has been stellar. Frankly, it has sucked. Hopefully that will change. I'm betting it will. Otherwise, I would have not bought XSX like I didn't buy that worthless Xbox One. When that change happens then we will see Game Pass becoming more a necessity than it currently is. And that is what I invested in.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Right now there is little incentive for anyone to get GP who isn't a big Xbox fan. That's why there are only 25 million GP members across Xbox console and PC.

A "good deal" is subjective. What is a "good deal" for you isn't a "good deal" for everyone else.

Example, if I were not getting Game Pass through Microsoft Rewards, I wouldn't have it at all right now. I'd wait until the fall when Starfield releases. There is simply nothing there I want to play or haven't already played.

And let's not pretend Xbox "day1 games" has been stellar. Frankly, it has sucked. Hopefully that will change. I'm betting it will. Otherwise, I would have not bought XSX like I didn't buy that worthless Xbox One. When that change happens then we will see Game Pass becoming more a necessity than it currently is. And that is what I invested in.
A good deal is subjective, if it was a 3rd party. This deal is from xbox. You are getting all xbox games on that system. You are also getting 3rd party games. You also get Xbox live with gamepass ultimate.
If you own an xbox console, you pretty much have to get this deal. It saves you money for their 1st party games. They saw Halo infinite, FH5, Flight Sim, and psychonauts 2. That is 60+60+60+60=$240. You also have 3rd party games, which were day1 on the service. Gamepass ultimate cost $180 a year. If you add those games, and Xbox live gold, that is $300. People will save $120 by just having gamepass.

So, yeah. they are dumb if they cant advantage of this deal. People have Xbox to play Xbox games, and 3rd party games. They pay $60 for xbox live gold. 2 day1 xbox games and they already spent $180. They should sub to gamepass at this point, if they want to save their money. They are spending $180 on xbox in 1 year anyway.

Again, since you will argue about the subjective of this deal. They are already paying $60 for xbox live. They have 1 year to spend $120 on xbox games. That total is what gamepass ultimate is worth.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
A good deal is subjective, if it was a 3rd party. This deal is from xbox. You are getting all xbox games on that system. You are also getting 3rd party games. You also get Xbox live with gamepass ultimate.
If you own an xbox console, you pretty much have to get this deal. It saves you money for their 1st party games. They saw Halo infinite, FH5, Flight Sim, and psychonauts 2. That is 60+60+60+60=$240. You also have 3rd party games, which were day1 on the service. Gamepass ultimate cost $180 a year. If you add those games, and Xbox live gold, that is $300. People will save $120 by just having gamepass.

So, yeah. they are dumb if they cant advantage of this deal. People have Xbox to play Xbox games, and 3rd party games. They pay $60 for xbox live gold. 2 day1 xbox games and they already spent $180. They should sub to gamepass at this point, if they want to save their money. They are spending $180 on xbox in 1 year anyway.

Again, since you will argue about the subjective of this deal. They are already paying $60 for xbox live. They have 1 year to spend $120 on xbox games. That is total is what gamepass ultimate worth.

A "good deal" is subjective regardless. That isn't debatable. Either you know what "subjective" means or you don't.

You can play out whatever scenarios you want but the simple fact of the matter is that MS can only report 25 million subscribers. Beat your head against the wall all you want and call people "dumb" if you need to, but how many folks who own Xbox consoles or have access to Game Pass through PC have said no? A hell of a lot more than have said yes. That's just a fact. So no, factually, you do not "pretty much have to get this deal".

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

kingfey

Banned
A "good deal" is subjective regardless. That isn't debatable. Either you know what "subjective" means or you don't.

You can play out whatever scenarios you want but the simple fact of the matter is that MS can only report 25 million subscribers. Beat your head against the wall all you want and call people "dumb" if you need to, but how many folks who own Xbox consoles or have access to Game Pass through PC have said no? A hell of a lot more than have said yes. That's just a fact. So no, factually, you do not "pretty much have to get this deal".

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
There is different between you have to get this deal, and getting this deal. I cant force every xbox users to get them. And the reason for that is here.

Because people are dumb. Because people dont want to spend $180 upfront, on a service they arent sure they will use it for 3 years. Because people are poor and they cant spend $180 upfront. Because people dont like gamepass, or any subscription service. Because gamepass doesnt support their country.

There are alot of reason. Not everyone will subscribe to a subscription service. Its why these companies give you cheap offer, to entice people. Its why MS struggled increasing gamepass numbers in 4 years, despite being the best deal in the gaming industry.

Topher

Gold Member
There is different between you have to get this deal, and getting this deal. I cant force every xbox users to get them. And the reason for that is here.

Your personal opinion that others should get this deal is irrelevant. That's why it is "subjective". If it is that good of a deal then more would take advantage of it. As it is, we've got 120 million Steam users who have access to Game Pass. We've got 100 million Xbox Live members who have access to Game Pass. Only 25 million have subscribed. It is what it is.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Your personal opinion that others should get this deal is irrelevant. That's why it is "subjective".
What I stated isnt an opinion. Gamepass is on xbox. Xbox games are on the service day1. The service has ultimate tier which includes Xbox live gold. Xbox live gold for 1 year cost $60. The service cost $15 a month, total is $180 a year.

That is a fact that we know. Its all depend on what the user does. That I can not decide. Whether he wants to save his wallet, or whether he wants to spend alot of money. The choice is his.

Topher

Gold Member
What I stated isnt an opinion. Gamepass is on xbox. Xbox games are on the service day1. The service has ultimate tier which includes Xbox live gold. Xbox live gold for 1 year cost $60. The service cost $15 a month, total is $180 a year.

That is a fact that we know. Its all depend on what the user does. That I can not decide. Whether he wants to save his wallet, or whether he wants to spend alot of money. The choice is his.

Yes it was absolutely an opinion to say "If you own an xbox console, you pretty much have to get this deal." No, you cannot decide what others will do. Obviously. That's my point. Most have not chosen to subscribe to Game Pass. You can call them "dumb" if it makes you feel better, but again, it is what it is.

Why you are repeating what Game Pass is, where it is, or how much it costs, I have no clue.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whether he's right or wrong who cares. The key thing is whether GP is only on Xbox/PC or spreads to other platforms or fails and MPS stops it, it doesn't matter because end of the day it's great value.

I treat it like the old Columbia House CD deals you got in like 1992. I got my money's worth with lots of CDs average out to maybe $10 since half of them were free. And the second the CD selection dropped to when I couldnt fill in their mailers for 6 more free CDs if you buy 3, I stopped the service.

At that time, CDs were $20+ cdn.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Yes it was absolutely an opinion to say "If you own an xbox console, you pretty much have to get this deal." No, you cannot decide what others will do. Obviously. That's my point. Most have not chosen to subscribe to Game Pass. You can call them "dumb" if it makes you feel better, but again, it is what it is.

Why you are repeating what Game Pass is, where it is, or how much it costs, I have no clue.
For the last time.
When a user buys xbox, he is buying it to play xbox games or 3rd party games.
First thing the user does is buy xbox live gold.

If the user wants any xbox games day1, current or past xbox games, he would have to spend money.

Gamepass ultimate contains what the user wants. Xbox games from past, current and future for $180 a year.

We know that, the user will spend $60 mandatory on xbox live. That is $120 left for him to use.

Its either use that money on gamepass ultimate, which contains all things he need, or spend his money buying those games.

You for example, bought xbox to try xbox games. If you didn't apply for gamepass ultimate, you would have spent $60 on xbox live. You would left with $120 to spend on any xbox game, which fits that budget.

Would you spend more money, in hope you get the games you want, or would buy gamepass ultimate to meet your needs?

That is the point I am making it to you.

You are seeing gamepass as an addition, which people can sub if they want to. But that is not what gamepass is. It acts as savings for xbox users. And those who want to play xbox games.

But final decision would be up to the user. Whether he doesn't buy any xbox game at all, he likes xbox games, but doesn't want to commit to gamepass, but is willing to spend more money, or he wants to play all xbox games for a set of price.

The end of the day, the choice is on the user. He can't say gamepass doesn't exist, since he sees it every day through the dash. The choices he makes, would be on him.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Would you spend more money, in hope you get the games you want, or would buy gamepass ultimate to meet your needs?

That is the point I am making it to you.

Gaming is a luxury. People don't game because it is a "need". People game because it entertains them. So if Assassin's Creed, Cyberpunk 2077, NBA 2K22 or any number of games that are NOT on Game Pass and that is what they want to play then Game Pass neither meets wants or needs. The persistence of games available with Game Pass on PC on the Steams top sellers list also show that.

What you want people to see and value and what those people actually do see and value......not the same. The numbers show that.

Last edited:

MScarpa

Until the trick doesn't work any more there's no reason to not do it. Why spend more than necessary? 🤷🏼‍♂️
I pay the normal price for GPU. Just easier, less hoops to jump through. I am the majority. It's what it is. People pay more for convenience. Who would have thought.

Jemm

"Why don't all the Xbox users have Game Pass, if it is of such good value?"

While Game Pass may sound like an obvious choice for Xbox (and somewhat PC) gamers, most casuals are hardly aware of the service. They may see it advertised in the dashboard, but think nothing of it. They won't bother finding out what a "Game Pass" is or why they should pay for it - even if it had games they buy and play anyway.

Or if they know, they may not have enough time to play in a week to make it worth it etc. I have friends, who have Xboxes or other consoles, but hardly ever touch them, due to lack of time or interest. ("I play 2 hours a week - if I'm lucky")

MistBreeze

I was led to belive Microsoft will destroy sony of the fact 2 trillion $ vs 200 billion $ company

But after from software released elden ring with 12 million copies sold in less than two weaks

A small dev Slocap put a gameplay focused gaming marvel Sifu most 1000 employee devs can not design such complicated and yet fun gameplay system

I know in this medium it is about creativity and passion money alone can get you so far

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Gaming is a luxury. People don't game because it is a "need". People game because it entertains them. So if Assassin's Creed, Cyberpunk 2077, NBA 2K22 or any number of games that are NOT on Game Pass and that is what they want to play then Game Pass neither meets wants or needs. The persistence of games available with Game Pass on PC on the Steams top sellers list also show that.

What you want people to see and value and what those people actually do see and value......not the same. The numbers show that.
Gamepass is a catalog of Xbox 1st party games. Not 3rd party.

This isn't value or anything. They are putting all of their 1st party games on the service.

The game that you listed, are not owned by MS. You taking this on the wrong way.

You are not buying Xbox to play Nintendo or Playstation games. You are buying it to play Xbox games, or just 3rd party.

To make it very Simple for you. GAMEPASS CONTAINS ALL XBOX 1ST PARTY GAMES.

If you are in to 3rd party games only, you wont care about xbox games at all. No matter whether they are new or old.

But if you want to play xbox games, you have a service which contains all those games. Bethesda, and all Xbox 1st party games.

And since Xbox live gold is mandatory for the online mode, you are only paying $120 for that ultimate service.

Its up to the user, if he wants to spend money buying all those xbox 1st party games, or if he wants to sub to gamepass to play those 1st party games.

Gamepass=all of xbox 1st party games. Gamepass=/=3rd party games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
"Why don't all the Xbox users have Game Pass, if it is of such good value?"

While Game Pass may sound like an obvious choice for Xbox (and somewhat PC) gamers, most casuals are hardly aware of the service. They may see it advertised in the dashboard, but think nothing of it. They won't bother finding out what a "Game Pass" is or why they should pay for it - even if it had games they buy and play anyway.

Or if they know, they may not have enough time to play in a week to make it worth it etc. I have friends, who have Xboxes or other consoles, but hardly ever touch them, due to lack of time or interest. ("I play 2 hours a week - if I'm lucky")
Those people make up 20% of console users. They are the super casuals, who will only play 3-6 games a year, and stick with 1 game during that year.

Gaming is tough, and you need time to play it. Not everyone has time for it.

I play 10-15 hour max a week, due to being busy with RL.

Leyasu

Banned
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Just skimmed through a few pages.. Stick a fork in this thread mods, she’s done. Fucking hell lol

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Gamepass is a catalog of Xbox 1st party games. Not 3rd party.

This isn't value or anything. They are putting all of their 1st party games on the service.

The game that you listed, are not owned by MS. You taking this on the wrong way.

You are not buying Xbox to play Nintendo or Playstation games. You are buying it to play Xbox games, or just 3rd party.

To make it very Simple for you. GAMEPASS CONTAINS ALL XBOX 1ST PARTY GAMES.

If you are in to 3rd party games only, you wont care about xbox games at all. No matter whether they are new or old.

But if you want to play xbox games, you have a service which contains all those games. Bethesda, and all Xbox 1st party games.

And since Xbox live gold is mandatory for the online mode, you are only paying $120 for that ultimate service.

Its up to the user, if he wants to spend money buying all those xbox 1st party games, or if he wants to sub to gamepass to play those 1st party games.

Gamepass=all of xbox 1st party games. Gamepass=/=3rd party games.

Game Pass includes both first party and third party games. If you cannot make factual statements then there is no point in this discussion.

kingfey

Banned
Game Pass includes both first party and third party games. If you cannot make factual statements then there is no point in this discussion.
Gamepass includes RANDOM 3rd party games. You dont know what 3rd party gets in to the service.
But you Know what 1st party games gets in to the service.

Factual Statement = Gamepass is 1st party games service.
Not Factual= Gamepass is 3rd party games service. That depends on what games get dropped on the service, and general people have no idea, what gets dropped in to the service.

You are making this more complicated.

Topher

Gold Member
Gamepass includes RANDOM 3rd party games. You dont know what 3rd party gets in to the service.

Not Factual= Gamepass is 3rd party games service. That depends on what games get dropped on the service, and general people have no idea, what gets dropped in to the service.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

And with that.....this thread goes on ignore.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

giphy.gif

I was led to belive Microsoft will destroy sony of the fact 2 trillion $ vs 200 billion $ company

But after from software released elden ring with 12 million copies sold in less than two weaks

A small dev Slocap put a gameplay focused gaming marvel Sifu most 1000 employee devs can not design such complicated and yet fun gameplay system

I know in this medium it is about creativity and passion money alone can get you so far
No one honestly believed MS was going to 'destroy' anyone. If fact it was MS who has constantly been fighting off ideas of them exiting the gaming market. There are still people who want them out.

You are right that money alone doesn't guarantee success but MS's money has brought out some fantastic titles like Psychonauts 2, Ori, and Forza Horizon so there is plenty of passion and creativity all around. Neither MS nor Sony is going to be destroyed; it's all fanboy nonsense. They have all contributed greatly to the industry.

Hinedorf

Banned
I actually agree with him. As somebody who was as Pro-Sony as you can be all of their decision making since the end of PS4 into PS5 tells me their dominance is very quickly ending

tygertrip

What does this exactly mean? Gaming has been virtually the same for the last 30 years! We've added some cool stuff, given the internet connectivity but us playing games with controllers on a PS5 is very close to use playing games with a controller on the NES in 1988.
It's not that far removed from when I was playing 2600 games with a controller in 1979. Hell, my tv even had zero latency, can't get that with modern TV's, lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom