• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter - Gamepass will destroy Sony. Sony will cease to exist.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Why would Sony die? They are in the top 50 biggest companies in the world

Get out of your fanboy dream world and back to reality
lol to me you seem like the fanboy offended because I'm saying "such things" did I offend your cult? idgf about sony if they die they die, if they don't they don't. I'm not going to cry like some people apparently. This thread is about the dead of sony, so I'm saying if sony dies that doesn't mean the end of playstation.

kingfey

Banned
You don’t understand videogames if you don’t understand japan. MS has never understood japan
You dont need to understand japan, in order to understand video games.
There is a reason why MS failed. They tried their corporate tactics on video games, and it failed badly. Same as how WB/ATT failed DC with their corporate tactics.
Video games/Movies are medium to people. If you bring corporate tactics to these medium, your tactics will fail badly.

lol to me you seem like the fanboy offended because I'm saying "such things" did I offend your cult? idgf about sony if they die they die, if they don't they don't. I'm not going to cry like some people apparently. This thread is about the dead of sony, so I'm saying if sony dies that doesn't mean the end of playstation.
What is making you even suggest Sony would go out of business? They're doing great, not just PlayStation.

Ezquimacore

Banned
What is making you even suggest Sony would go out of business? They're doing great, not just PlayStation
The thread is about how xbox gamepass will destroy sony according to Pachter, doesn't matter if that happens or not because playstation as a brand will exist with sony or not. Any company could be doing great and die the next year because of changes in technology and culture, ask BlockBuster, the company that controlled America's entertaiment for two decades.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
People like to make fun of him, but I do follow his analysis rating and most time they are absurd and sometimes they are not far off. He gets more right than wrong compare to lot of other analyst I follow. His was netflix bear for a while

ByWatterson

So look who Cnbc and Bloomberg bring on to talk about and give advice on the gaming industry. Its not you, it's not me, it's Pachter. He has one of the highest profiles in gaming market analysis regardless of what we might think of him.

Yeah no one on TV makes shit up

Yoboman

You said "Sony could die"

You slipping all over the shop here, maybe you need to be more creative with your trolling

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I don’t see sony givin up those AAA $70 Ps5 games to a service thats like game pass.

Its going to be so antiquated in a few years when we have the 30 or so xbox devs all releasing there games on gamepass.
I dont think Sony need to copy gamepass but they need some offering where you can play there games for a mich cheaper price.

The thread is about how xbox gamepass will destroy sony according to Pachter, doesn't matter if that happens or not because playstation as a brand will exist with sony or not. Any company could be doing great and die the next year because of changes in technology and culture, ask BlockBuster, the company that controlled America's entertaiment for two decades.
Think about what you're saying. If PlayStation is strong enough to withstand Xbox GamePass, why would it kill the rest of Sony? You think GamePass is a threat to Sony TV, Sony pictures, music labels, etc, but somehow PlayStation will be fine?

You're making zero sense.

That's like suggesting the next Switch will hurt Microsoft Windows or Microsoft's business software, but Xbox would remain unaffected.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Think about what you're saying. If PlayStation is strong enough to withstand Xbox GamePass, why would it kill the rest of Sony? You think GamePass is a threat to Sony TV, Sony pictures, music labels, etc, but somehow PlayStation will be fine?

You're making zero sense.

That's like suggesting the next Switch will hurt Microsoft Windows or Microsoft's business software, but Xbox would remain unaffected.
Lol you think what you're saying, this is an hypothetical scenario of Sony being death and you're arguing for some reason. I'm not suggesting shit, pachter is, I'm telling what would happen in that situation. Playstation would exist with Sony or not.

A sony gamepass model like MS would be awesome but until they are forced to do it either via loss of marketshare or sales it wont happen
this is why having good competition and great titles on all platforms is a good thing for gamers

Gamepass is good for gaming and eventually sony is going to have to invest in something similar which is a win/win as a gamer

Lol you think what you're saying, this is an hypothetical scenario of Sony being death and you're arguing for some reason. I'm not suggesting shit, pachter is, I'm telling what would happen in that situation. Playstation would exist with Sony or not.
Pachter is an idiot, but even he isn't suggesting GamePass would kill off everything EXCEPT the gaming division of Sony. That makes no sense.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Last time I checked Sony was still way ahead this generation just like the last one….

That what blockbuster fans said before netflix.
And also what hbo said every streaming service....but ya, I guess your right, they should do nothing regardless of all competition, that's smart.

Sega Orphan

Banned
We'll have to politely agree to disagree.

I think Sony can pull of a service, but they have some significant obstacles and aren't in a great place (right now) to do a straight up GamePass competitor.

I feel that quantity, quality, variety and cadence are crucial to a service like GamePass. Not doubting quality of Sony, but as an example MS is positioning themselves in future to have at minimum 4 AAA every year..not including other games they develop or other deals made.

I dont believe people join a service (short or longer term) to play middling single A games or old gen (PS1/PS2) games for that matter either.

GamePass has all those middling types of games. And sure, there's gems in there to be discovered (Remnant From The Ashes, etc.). But whats driving subscriptions is larger games.

With Pachter, he was saying that GamePass is THE gaming subscription service. Its already building brand recognition similar to Netflix. Bethesda and Activision deals were huge - specifically from a content for GamePass perspective. Call of Duty (regardless of exclusivity TBD), you likely will never see it in Sony's sub service. GamepaIts only getting bigger and gaining traction.
For Sony to equal GP as a product they will have to do three things.
1. Release their new games day and date on their service, and at the same price as GP. If Sony think they can charge the same price as GP but without their own IP day and date then they are trolling themselves.
2. Content, and exclusive content. With MS buying all the studios they have, they are going to have two or three times the first party releases than Sony. Sony are going to have to keep buying more studios. The problem for Sony is that they are still playing catch up with MS in getting their games on PC. Alot of their recent acquisitions has been on getting that capability in house, meaning less acquisitions of studios with IP of their own. MS already has that PC coding in house at each studio. And as we saw with MS, these acquisitions take time to start paying off. In 2023 all MS studios will be releasing their games exclusive to GP. They will be rolling flat out from then. Its going to take Sony 5 years of acquisitions to get anywhere near what MS has now, and then at least four years before all those new studios get their pre-existing contracts and games out of the way to concentrate on Sony only. What lead GP gets in that time frame is the issue for Sony, and maybe what Pachter was talking about. They have plenty of old games in the library, and as I said they could pay to add EA or Ubi to their service as well. That's the easy part tho.
3. The Streaming infrastructure. All this time MS has been installing huge amounts of Xbox APU blades to their servers to use for Xcloud. They have been on this journey for awhile. It's a massive upfront cost and takes silicon away from putting into consoles. So it's not as easy as saying "Sony will just use Azure", because MS own Azure and still has to spend billions on the infrastructure to use on Xcloud. Sony has a massive catch up to do there. People expect cloud gaming to be a part of the streaming service just like xcloud, so they are going to have to do it.

Sounds like I am going against my own thoughts, but I think there is enough time for Sony to do it. But, the big issue is that Sony the company ran off the back of the profit playstation made, and now for the next five or more years alot of that PS profit is going to have to be put back into acquisitions and infrastructure costs. For Sony the company, that's not an easy thing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
For Sony to equal GP as a product they will have to do three things.
1. Release their new games day and date on their service, and at the same price as GP. If Sony think they can charge the same price as GP but without their own IP day and date then they are trolling themselves.
2. Content, and exclusive content. With MS buying all the studios they have, they are going to have two or three times the first party releases than Sony. Sony are going to have to keep buying more studios. The problem for Sony is that they are still playing catch up with MS in getting their games on PC. Alot of their recent acquisitions has been on getting that capability in house, meaning less acquisitions of studios with IP of their own. MS already has that PC coding in house at each studio. And as we saw with MS, these acquisitions take time to start paying off. In 2023 all MS studios will be releasing their games exclusive to GP. They will be rolling flat out from then. Its going to take Sony 5 years of acquisitions to get anywhere near what MS has now, and then at least four years before all those new studios get their pre-existing contracts and games out of the way to concentrate on Sony only. What lead GP gets in that time frame is the issue for Sony, and maybe what Pachter was talking about. They have plenty of old games in the library, and as I said they could pay to add EA or Ubi to their service as well. That's the easy part tho.
3. The Streaming infrastructure. All this time MS has been installing huge amounts of Xbox APU blades to their servers to use for Xcloud. They have been on this journey for awhile. It's a massive upfront cost and takes silicon away from putting into consoles. So it's not as easy as saying "Sony will just use Azure", because MS own Azure and still has to spend billions on the infrastructure to use on Xcloud. Sony has a massive catch up to do there. People expect cloud gaming to be a part of the streaming service just like xcloud, so they are going to have to do it.

Sounds like I am going against my own thoughts, but I think there is enough time for Sony to do it. But, the big issue is that Sony the company ran off the back of the profit playstation made, and now for the next five or more years alot of that PS profit is going to have to be put back into acquisitions and infrastructure costs. For Sony the company, that's not an easy thing.

All that assumes Sony has to match GP, but that isn't necessarily true. We have yet to see the gaming world move to any subscription service in a major way. There are plenty of subscriptions services out there, but the demand hasn't matched it yet. Microsoft, along with most publishers on PC, have been forced to sell their games through Steam despite the presence of Game Pass there. And there hasn't exactly been a massive shift to game streaming either despite the presence of Google, Amazon, Nvidia, and Microsoft offering up options in that space. Personally I think Game Pass will be a sustainable service in the long haul for Microsoft, but I still see little to no evidence that it will be an industry defining entity any time soon. But just like Pachter has been on innumerable occasions, I could be wrong.

That what blockbuster fans said before netflix.
And also what hbo said every streaming service....but ya, I guess your right, they should do nothing regardless of all competition, that's smart.

Really don't understand why folks keep repeating that Blockbuster-Netflix analogy as if it were the same situation at all. It just isn't. Sony isn't a brick and mortar store renting games and refusing to see a digital age where people can stream/download. Not even close to that. Either way, I agree with you that Sony can't just rest on its laurels. But that doesn't seem to be the case as they are not doing "nothing" and have some plans in the works to compete with Game Pass. As I said before there isn't much evidence so far that subscriptions are going to be the primary method of generating revenue for games so a more tempered approach is probably a good thing.

Shmunter

Sony only needs to flip PSN to Sony Pass and have 40M subscribers overnight. If the service is value, people will stick around, and more will join. Price tier considerations can be in place for new/renewing users. There is too much mindshare, not to mention being the current dominant player to not have options. It's laughable.

Sega Orphan

Banned
All that assumes Sony has to match GP, but that isn't necessarily true. We have yet to see the gaming world move to any subscription service in a major way. There are plenty of subscriptions services out there, but the demand hasn't matched it yet. Microsoft, along with most publishers on PC, have been forced to sell their games through Steam despite the presence of Game Pass there. And there hasn't exactly been a massive shift to game streaming either despite the presence of Google, Amazon, Nvidia, and Microsoft offering up options in that space. Personally I think Game Pass will be a sustainable service in the long haul for Microsoft, but I still see little to no evidence that it will be an industry defining entity any time soon. But just like Pachter has been on innumerable occasions, I could be wrong.

Really don't understand why folks keep repeating that Blockbuster-Netflix analogy as if it were the same situation at all. It just isn't. Sony isn't a brick and mortar store renting games and refusing to see a digital age where people can stream/download. Not even close to that. Either way, I agree with you that Sony can't just rest on its laurels. But that doesn't seem to be the case as they are not doing "nothing" and have some plans in the works to compete with Game Pass. As I said before there isn't much evidence so far that subscriptions are going to be the primary method of generating revenue for games so a more tempered approach is probably a good thing.
There comes a time when Gamepass becomes undeniable. It's already a ridiculously valuable proposition, and when you are getting a AAA release every second month from MSs internal studio, it will be where 80% of xbox players will have it. PC is where the massive growth for GP is going to come from, especially with the Blizzard acquisition.
When people see xbox owners paying $15 a month and getting all of those first party AAA games included, and yet they are shelling out $70 for an exclusive, and MS is releasing three times as many exclusives compared to Sony, the PS base will start to demand it. Not only that, but when new people come into the market, and as kids get older they come into the market, their parents will see that if they get an Xbox they only have to pay $15 a month and they get 200 games and all the new releases included from MS, vs buying a PS and having to buy every game outright from Sony, they will vote with their wallet. Old school Sony players like yourself will continue on as you always do, but that won't be the case with a heap of people.
Sony know this, that's why they are doing Spartacus. It's a reactionary move to GP. I just don't think Sony has the desire to match MSs margins on GP at the moment, so they will try a GP lite and see if it does well enough. They can always change it around, add another level etc.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
There comes a time when Gamepass becomes undeniable. It's already a ridiculously valuable proposition, and when you are getting a AAA release every second month from MSs internal studio, it will be where 80% of xbox players will have it. PC is where the massive growth for GP is going to come from, especially with the Blizzard acquisition.
When people see xbox owners paying $15 a month and getting all of those first party AAA games included, and yet they are shelling out $70 for an exclusive, and MS is releasing three times as many exclusives compared to Sony, the PS base will start to demand it. Not only that, but when new people come into the market, and as kids get older they come into the market, their parents will see that if they get an Xbox they only have to pay $15 a month and they get 200 games and all the new releases included from MS, vs buying a PS and having to buy every game outright from Sony, they will vote with their wallet. Old school Sony players like yourself will continue on as you always do, but that won't be the case with a heap of people.
Sony know this, that's why they are doing Spartacus. It's a reactionary move to GP. I just don't think Sony has the desire to match MSs margins on GP at the moment, so they will try a GP lite and see if it does well enough. They can always change it around, add another level etc.

Maybe. Maybe not. You are banking on Pachter who has been notoriously wrong before. He didn't put much stock in Nintendo Switch either and look where it is. I know that narrative you wrote makes sense in your head, but whether gamers adopt the perspective of die-hard Microsoft fans remains to be seen. Most casuals play one or two games a year. A persistent subscription to a service like Game Pass may not make sense for them. Undeniable? Hardly.

Sega Orphan

Banned
Maybe. Maybe not. You are banking on Pachter who has been notoriously wrong before. He didn't put much stock in Nintendo Switch either and look where it is. I know that narrative you wrote makes sense in your head, but whether gamers adopt the perspective of die-hard Microsoft fans remains to be seen. Most casuals play one or two games a year. A persistent subscription to a service like Game Pass may not make sense for them. Undeniable? Hardly.
I don't Rate what Pachter was saying at all. I don't think PS is going anywhere and they will do what they need to to compete with MS on the subscription side of things. It isn't going to be easy, and it's going to be expensive for them to get there, but they will.

Undeniable? That's an absolute. I'm not saying undeniable in that Sony fans are going to have to get it, I'm saying its undeniable from a value proposition, and if you play on Xbox or PC, it will just be too much value not to get it.
It's $180 a year. In 2 years time MS will be dropping a AAA exclusive every couple of months. 6 X $70 = $420 if you were buying them all at retail on release. On top of all that you have the back catalogue of all MS, EA, Bethesda, Activision included.
Then on top you have Xcloud thrown in.
At that point if you use PC or Xbox you will just have no real option not to get it.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't Rate what Pachter was saying at all. I don't think PS is going anywhere and they will do what they need to to compete with MS on the subscription side of things. It isn't going to be easy, and it's going to be expensive for them to get there, but they will.

Undeniable? That's an absolute. I'm not saying undeniable in that Sony fans are going to have to get it, I'm saying its undeniable from a value proposition, and if you play on Xbox or PC, it will just be too much value not to get it.
It's $180 a year. In 2 years time MS will be dropping a AAA exclusive every couple of months. 6 X $70 = $420 if you were buying them all at retail on release. On top of all that you have the back catalogue of all MS, EA, Bethesda, Activision included.
Then on top you have Xcloud thrown in.
At that point if you use PC or Xbox you will just have no real option not to get it.

Nah, there isn't anything "absolute" in the gaming industry. I hope Microsoft is able to deliver all those games, but I seriously doubt the price of Game Pass will remain $15 a month. Right now I am able to pay for Game Pass with MS rewards points, but a price hike may take away that option. Either way, Steam will remain the king of gaming on PC. Microsoft's games have done very well there. The significance of that shouldn't be overlooked when Steam gamers have long had the option for Game Pass and have chosen outright purchases instead. So yes, there will always be other options than Game Pass.

John Wick

Sony fanboys triggered by pachter with a simple sentence lol.
The only one triggered is you. Everyone knows Pachter's takes are 99% wrong. Laughing and taking the piss out of him isn't being triggered. We're amazed someone actually pays the clown for his stupidity.

jumpship

If I received £1 every time Pachter gave misinformed inaccurate predictions of future console trends, I’d be a rich man. His crystal ball insights have already been mentioned and rightly ridiculed but it’s the thought process I find interesting. This inescapable Sony is doomed scenario, soon to be destroyed, even ceasing to exist entirely (I’m sure the FTC will be happy to hear his full insights regarding the future purchase of Acti/Blizz and its affect on the competition).
In a world where people have the choice of Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon, Apple+, Peacock, HBO max etc that can all coexist in the subscription market together competing for customers……..why not in the videogame space….Uh huh….NO....there can only be ONE, all-encompassing super subscription. With a force so strong competitors will not only be destroyed but will cease to exist (Thanos would be proud) bringing the console market under the rule of a single company.

Its obvious great content drives subscription services, just look how fast Disney+ gained its first 100 million subs (and without needing to put all content it produces on the service day one I might add), its why Microsoft spent nearly 80 Billion to fill game pass, you also see its wider entertainment ambitions with the Halo TV series.
If game pass is the Netflix of gaming I can see project Spartacus more analogous with Disney+ with its business model of big budget film releases exclusive first to cinema (For Sony big budget £70 game releases) for a period of time before entering the service and a mix of day and date content. Add to this Sony are also an entertainment company that can pull content from Sony Pictures, Animation, Music, Anime to offer a very compelling subscription service and potentially appealing to a much wider demographic than containing games only.

For Pachter’s prediction to come to fruition game pass needs to cater to all gamers and cover all gaming experiences. One gaming experience that’s growing in popularity each year and Microsoft appear to have little interest in and that’s VR. A few VR experiences can be enjoyed on PC game pass but not Xbox. There’s a downside to the Xbox version of game pass that doesn’t get talked about much especially if you like VR, that is, all games must be playable on Xbox and Cloud using controller or on-screen touch controls. A VR game tracking wands and headset will not work on all devices as a control scheme so very unlikely to be supported. From Microsoft’s pov it makes absolutely total sense catering the larger market across multiple devices including console, phones, tablets, cloud. VR may appear niche, even a gimmick to some, but If we take Pachter’s timeline of 10 years from now, with Meta currently betting the farm on a virtual reality future, Apple entering the space later this year, Sony releasing the much anticipated PSVR 2 its an ever growing market segment that offers new experiences for gamers.

Celine

Apparently Japan doesn't understand japan, because the sales list are dominated with Western titles.
Top 20 best selling console games at retail during 2021 in Japan (tracker: Famitsu) :

1. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise – 2,350,693 / NEW
2. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 2,313,115 / NEW
3. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 1,266,477 / 2,499,500
4. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 971,418 / NEW
5. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 904,685 / 2,991,690
6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 815,174 / 4,272,357
7. [NSW] Minecraft – 708,670 / 2,411,591
8. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 704,134 / 7,082,237
9. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 628,538 / NEW
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 610,964 / 4,624,138
11. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 381,848 / 4,262,438
12. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 352,133 / 871,782
13. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town – 318,331 / NEW
14. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap – 312,931 / NEW
15. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 306,590 / 2,036,386
16. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 305,016 / 3,993,405
17. [NSW] Zelda: Skyward Sword HD – 278,747 / NEW
18. [NSW] Miitopia – 274,912 / NEW
19. [NSW] Game Builder Garage – 274,221 / NEW
20. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2 – 242,876 / NEW

EDIT:
Disregard.
The whole exchange I replied to doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
This thread is full of hope and dreams.

I'm not Micheal panther but I don't see the 10b profit Sony division will. What was the timeframe again? Lol

DrAspirino

Banned
Pachter, surprisingly, may be right this time. Sony, AS WE KNOW IT, will cease to exist within 10 years, and a new Sony will slowly emerge. Just like today's Sony is nothing like 10 year's ago Sony.

10 years ago, there was the Playstation Vita, strong Xperia phones lineup with Playstation integration, and had a strong japanese character to it. Today's Sony is nothing like that one.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Pachter, surprisingly, may be right this time. Sony, AS WE KNOW IT, will cease to exist within 10 years, and a new Sony will slowly emerge. Just like today's Sony is nothing like 10 year's ago Sony.

10 years ago, there was the Playstation Vita, strong Xperia phones lineup with Playstation integration, and had a strong japanese character to it. Today's Sony is nothing like that one.

Except he wasn't talking about Sony. He was talking specially about PlayStation.

Hezekiah

Banned
People really believe MS is going to be releasing three times as many exclusives as Sony with ~32 studios? Have you seen the recent release schedules of some of the studios they have bought? Missed the massive internal recruitment Sony has been carrying out the past few years?

Spartacus is a merging of PS Plus and Now. You're way off the mark.

zaanan

Banned
I’m sure the FTC will be happy to hear his full insights regarding the future purchase of Acti/Blizz and its affect on the competition
Interesting thought. Any chance this could be a strategic statement to cast doubt on ATVI buyout?

yurinka

I don’t see sony givin up those AAA $70 Ps5 games to a service thats like game pass.
They won't do it because it's an awful idea. Sony's game division make way more revenue (and also are profitable) by focusing on selling these games and only adding them to game subs once they already sold all the units they could.

Sony's game subs already have 50M subs generating them almost a Billion per quarter without including there big day one games. They have this huge amount of subs not only due to the included games, but due to their huge console installbase. To keep selling these consoles not only need these exclusive games, but also to keep them exclusive to their console instead of releasing them day one on PC, because Sony uses them as their main unique selling points to sell these consoles.

Even if later their main revenue source isn't the hardware, aren't the exclusives or the game subscriptions: their main revenue source are the 3rd party game and add-on sales for their console.

I’m sure the FTC will be happy to hear his full insights regarding the future purchase of Acti/Blizz and its affect on the competition)
MS shouldn't have any issue with the Acti/Blizz acquisition with any regulator. Even adding ABK they won't be market leaders in gaming, in console gaming, in PC gaming or in mobile gaming. And even if will be one of the top companies, will have a relatively pretty small market share.

Even regarding game subscriptions they can say Sony has 2X the game subs than them, and can prove that game subs are a very small portion of the revenue generated by the gaming industry.

2. Content, and exclusive content. With MS buying all the studios they have, they are going to have two or three times the first party releases than Sony.
Nah, they said that will keep the main Activision Blizzard IPs multiplatform as they did with Minecraft, and also said that their plan for Bethesda wasn't to make them exclusive but instead 'first on or best on' their platforms. Sony also said the same for Bungie: they will continue being multiplatform including rival consoles.

So for the main ones we'll probably only see maximum timed exclusives for games or dlcs or exclusivities only applied to game subscriptions or beta/demos and stuff like that. Smaller acquired teams or IPs, or at least new IPs could go exclusive.

We also have to remember that several MS acquired teams are mobile or PC only teams or that even if released on console they are PC focused games that have pretty small impact on console.

Regarding Sony remember that they not only are acquiring studios, they also have been aggresively growing all their existing internal teams plus are investing more than ever on 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives. According to Jim Ryan PS5 will have more exclusives than any previous PS console ever had. And since most exclusives are 3rd party, it means they have been signing many 3rd party exclusive deals.

Last edited:
If Gamepass was really that fatal to PlayStation, wouldn’t Microsoft be dominating the market by now considering Gamepass has been available for years and since last generation? Again, I think this is yet another person overestimating the importance of Gamepass. GP is a nice service, but saying it will KILL Sony in 10 years is crazy especially when Sony had something similar to it for years and are possibly going to build upon it.

jumpship

Interesting thought. Any chance this could be a strategic statement to cast doubt on ATVI buyout?
MS shouldn't have any issue with the Acti/Blizz acquisition with any regulator. Even adding ABK they won't be market leaders in gaming, in console gaming, in PC gaming or in mobile gaming. And even if will be one of the top companies, will have a relatively pretty small market share.

I was just being sarcastic with the FTC comment sorry for not making it more obvious. His comments certainly don’t help, but I’m sure the deal will go through.

assurdum

Banned
Its going to be so antiquated in a few years when we have the 30 or so xbox devs all releasing there games on gamepass.
I dont think Sony need to copy gamepass but they need some offering where you can play there games for a mich cheaper price.
Maybe I'm antiquated but I really don't understand how people are so hungry to have an online service which give 30 games and more to install per month when SSD are priced as the hell and limited in the space; let's no talk how tough is to handle so much data in the console hardware. Personally I'm not so impatient to have a similar service on playstation but I understand probably I have a particular mindset in such stuff. Neither I'm particularly happy to the idea some game could disappear from my games library because I don't "own it" but it's another story.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Maybe I'm antiquated but I really don't understand how people are so hungry to have an online service which give 30 games and more to install per month when SSD are priced as the hell and limited in the space; let's no talk how tough is to handle so much data in the console hardware. Personally I'm not so impatient to have a similar service on playstation but I understand probably I have a particular mindset in such stuff. Neither I'm particularly happy to the idea some game could disappear from my games library because I don't "own it" but it's another story.

I said 30 devs will be releasing there games, not 30 a month. They will probably release 1 XGS gane a month eventually.

Sega Orphan

Banned
Nah, they said that will keep the main Activision Blizzard IPs multiplatform as they did with Minecraft, and also said that their plan for Bethesda wasn't to make them exclusive but instead 'first on or best on' their platforms. Sony also said the same for Bungie: they will continue being multiplatform including rival consoles.

So for the main ones we'll probably only see maximum timed exclusives for games or dlcs or exclusivities only applied to game subscriptions or beta/demos and stuff like that. Smaller acquired teams or IPs, or at least new IPs could go exclusive.

We also have to remember that several MS acquired teams are mobile or PC only teams or that even if released on console they are PC focused games that have pretty small impact on console.

Regarding Sony remember that they not only are acquiring studios, they also have been aggresively growing all their existing internal teams plus are investing more than ever on 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives. According to Jim Ryan PS5 will have more exclusives than any previous PS console ever had. And since most exclusives are 3rd party, it means they have been signing many 3rd party exclusive deals.
The point is that these will be free into GP while Sony users will have to spend $70 per game. At some point it becomes undeniable.
Sony will have to match it. If GP is selling for $15 per month Sony could easily sell theirs for $17 a month. Not because it's a better service, but because no one is going to change ecosystems to save $2 a month.

I thought long and hard about a way for Sony to grow its first party stable within the next ten years, but I could not solve the puzzle, honestly. For a moment, I entertained the possibilty of, you know, them expanding their current teams and acquiring new studios, but our Lord and Master Pachter had not mentioned it, so I burried that rididuclous idea...😶

Last edited:

yurinka

The point is that these will be free into GP while Sony users will have to spend $70 per game. At some point it becomes undeniable.
Sony will have to match it. If GP is selling for $15 per month Sony could easily sell theirs for $17 a month. Not because it's a better service, but because no one is going to change ecosystems to save $2 a month.
On console the average player buys a game or two per year, they simply get the few games they want. So the problem isn't pricing, it's if the player cares about this game or not.

People prefer to get the games they want. If they are in a sub service, they may get it there, if not they will buy it.

Remember that there are offers of free GP months or $1 deal and GP has 25M, while PS has 50M between Now and Plus subs (which soon are supposed to be merged). They won't pay $15/month to rent games, to buy a game or two per year -which is what tthey already do- it's cheaper.

Game subscripitions are a tiny portion of the gaming business, and Sony's game subscriptions as of now are twice as big as the MS ones. So Gamepass should grow way, way more to change something.

Zenimax sold what? maybe around 50M games on PS4 being generous? There are over 1700M games sold for PS4. And if each CoD sells around 10M copies on PS, if PS has 111MAU means that over 90% of these active users don't buy that game. So even if they go full exclusive won't change things too much. There are thousands of other games on PS, these games may be popular but people buy all kind of games.

People is not on Sony's ecosystem because of pricing and won't leave because of pricing. If they think -in PS, Xbox or PC- that $70, will buy it when discounted later if they are interested on it. As always happened. If they aren't interested on owning it to maybe resell it in the future or to play it years later and instead it's ok for them to play a game while it's available on GP they may get it there.

Top Bottom