• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox backward compatibility program returns with 76 new games

Estocolmo

I have waited 15 YEARS for FEAR to become BC, sounds like hyperbole but, back in 2007 and forward there have been so many games I've had to prioritise because they been "must-play" games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Gears, yeah you understand. Know finally I can play FEAR!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm a bit hesitant to go back to Otogi, as much as I loved it. The interactive and destructive environment is what really drew me to it back in the day but that's a bit less novel now.
Although, it really should be explored more, in terms of third-person action games.

When I watch an action movie, one of the most satisfying elements is seeing someone get smashed through a wall or some glass. Games need some of that.

Last edited:
I have waited 15 YEARS for FEAR to become BC, sounds like hyperbole but, back in 2007 and forward there have been so many games I've had to prioritise because they been "must-play" games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Gears, yeah you understand. Know finally I can play FEAR!
I hate to say this but without 4k patches these 360 games look like crap if your playing on a 4k tv. It seems like 4k enhanced is no longer the trend and Microsoft has given up on it. I hope I'm wrong and these games get patched later on but I don't see it happening.

Great game, but I'm personally waiting for some type of resolution or frame boost before diving in. The wait hurts. Have fun.
What makes you think that's happening? I was so bummed to find out no boosts for MP3 and with MS saying that this was the "end of the bc program" I don't see them retrospectively doing much for these games. I thought for sure that MP3, with how much that was requested would at least get 4k.

I think MS thinks now that all anyone really wants now is 60 fps, due to how happy people have been with Series s/x and finally being able to play games at 60. This is the company where Phil Spencer, in 2017 at the launch of the One X famously said, "what people really care about is resolution and that we're content with 30 fps" when asked about why FPS wasn't being targeted at the time.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
What makes you think that's happening? I was so bummed to find out no boosts for MP3 and with MS saying that this was the "end of the bc program" I don't see them retrospectively doing much for these games. I thought for sure that MP3, with how much that was requested would at least get 4k.

I think MS thinks now that all anyone really wants now is 60 fps, due to how happy people have been with Series s/x and finally being able to play games at 60. This is the company where Phil Spencer, in 2017 at the launch of the One X famously said, "what people really care about is resolution and that we're content with 30 fps" when asked about why FPS wasn't being targeted at the time.
Nothing makes me certain, I'm just holding out. I wouldn't tell others not to play it, but it's not worth it to me at 30 frames.

Banned
Kameo holds up really well with that FPS boost. A good looking game too considering it’s age.

The over the top height maps that Rare used in their textures are crazy to look at and still look almost unnecessarily detailed lol

also, PLANAR REFLECTIONS!!! modern AAA devs take fucking note! Even the shitty GTA remasters replaced the perfectly fine planar reflections of the original games with shitty ass, buggy ass, ugly ass Screen Space Reflections! (but I mean, why not at that point... they ruined every other aspect of those games already lol)

Last edited:
Loving it

tHUXV4T.jpg

j791OqD.jpg

FoandCT.jpg

lcei93w.jpg

Shmunter

• Alan Wake
  • Assassin’s Creed
  • Binary Domain
  • Black College Football Xperience: Doug Williams Ed
  • Darksiders
  • Dead Space 2
  • Dead Space 3
  • Disney’s Chicken Little
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Dragon Age II
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • F.E.A.R.
  • F.E.A.R. 3
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fable III
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Far Cry 3
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War: Judgment
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Kameo: Elements of Power
  • Lego The Lord of the Rings
  • Medal of Honor: Airborne
  • Mirror’s Edge
  • Nier
  • Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
  • Rock of Ages
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sonic Unleashed
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  • Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment
Mirrors Edge. Now we’re talking. What’s the rez?

fatmarco

Does anyone have a list of which games run at unlocked framerates?

I understand Max Payne 1 and 2 do, but I saw somewhere that FEAR 2 does as well, and that's why its not "FPS Boosted" like the other 2 FEARs. Is that true?

RAIDEN1

How come Ridge Racer 7 remains a PS3 exclusive? Why didn't it come to the 360 if they could bring part 6....me having a copy of 7 means I don't think I could get into 6 when it is a step back..

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Man, some of these Xbox 360 games hold up extremely well.
7th gen pushed graphics over the limits (many games were sub HD/25 FPS), their BC on 8th gen was a delight and a wonder on 9th gen.

The technical bump is so impressive on Sonic Unleashed that an average game became decent (frame drops were ruining the good parts of the game)

And Sonic Racing Transformed >>>>>>>> Mario Kart 8 :troll:

Ho ho ho

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

7th gen pushed graphics over the limits (many games were sub HD/25 FPS), their BC on 8th gen was a delight and a wonder on 9th gen.

The technical bump is so impressive on Sonic Unleashed that an average game became decent (frame drops were ruining the good parts of the game)

And Sonic Racing Transformed >>>>>>>> Mario Kart 8 :troll:

Ho ho ho

Do you get much of a bump up in anything if you purchased this game for the base Xbox-One? Or is the improvements only for X-S-X?

Inuteu

Bought max payne 3 yesterday. Worked fine

I called MS support about the problem with Binady Domain and they told me the sale wasnt approved for some reason

khakimzhan

Such a great treat, still I wish all of the games would have been on digital storefront

I am so much enjoying Max Payne 3, the locomotion is truly mind-blowing

Reactions: Isa

Fat Frog

Do you get much of a bump up in anything if you purchased this game for the base Xbox-One? Or is the improvements only for X-S-X?
You have limited bump with the one (stable framerate, sometimes resolution and framerate if it's not locked).

On One X you have specific reworked versions. (available on Series X too but not on Series S which is linked to One S versions)

Finally you have Series S and X exclusive fps boost like 60FPS for Sonic Transformed.

PS: You can have fps boost on One S if the OG game on 360 had uncapped framerate. For instance, Sonic unleashed had framecap on 360, uncapped on PS3. Both were screwed since PS4 had no BC...

Then Phil Spencer happened.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

You have limited bump with the one (stable framerate, sometimes resolution and framerate if it's not locked).

On One X you have specific reworked versions. (available on Series X too but not on Series S which is linked to One S versions)

Finally you have Series S and X exclusive fps boost like 60FPS for Sonic Transformed.

PS: You can have fps boost on One S if the OG game on 360 had uncapped framerate. For instance, Sonic unleashed had framecap on 360, uncapped on PS3. Both were screwed since PS4 had no BC...

I am thinking of purchasing this game for the Xbox, as yet I don't have the Series X, this will probably be the first Sonic related game I have brought which isn't his platformer..

Fat Frog

I am thinking of purchasing this game for the Xbox, as yet I don't have the Series X, this will probably be the first Sonic related game I have brought which isn't his platformer..
I don't know if the game will be available at 60FPS on One S via xcloud soon.

MikeM

I wish more devs put in a "unlocked framerate" mode in their games. It would give it legs in the future. That, and a "balls out" mode where its literally ultra quality uncapped/60fps /120 fps for future console reasons.

Reactions: Isa

intbal

Gun Valkyrie (control wise) is giving me an aneurism lol but I'm sticking with it <3

The Xbox Adaptive Controller can fix that.
As long as you're willing to spend an insane amount of money to acquire the proper accessories.

I'm still too scared to buy Otogi. But I want ittttttttttttt.
I'm with you friend but...at 20 buckaroos each...that's too steep IMO, I'm nostalgic but it's kind of a rip-off, those buggers at MS know that since they're made from FROM SOFT people are just gonna shell out the money 'cause dark souls/Sekiro/Bloodborne happened...
Kinda funny if you think of it, back in the day (as in, when these games got released) no one gave a rat's arse about FROM since it was considered a niche company making niche games, oh how the times have changed and the tables turned, I feel G'damned old i tell you 😁
TLDN'R : they're OK to Good honest games but they're not worth the asking price IMO.Why is it that GunValkyrie costs 10 bucks/euros/pounds but these are 20 a pop ? Yeah...

I'm with you friend but...at 20 buckaroos each...that's too steep IMO, I'm nostalgic but it's kind of a rip-off, those buggers at MS know that since they're made from FROM SOFT people are just gonna shell out the money 'cause dark souls/Sekiro/Bloodborne happened...
Kinda funny if you think of it, back in the day (as in, when these games got released) no one gave a rat's arse about FROM since it was considered a niche company making niche games, oh how the times have changed and the tables turned, I feel G'damned old i tell you 😁
TLDN'R : they're OK to Good honest games but they're not worth the asking price IMO.Why is it that GunValkyrie costs 10 bucks/euros/pounds but these are 20 a pop ? Yeah...
They're definitely pricey, but we all begged and they got us by the balls.

I mostly was referring to the store glitches making me wait on buying it.

They're definitely pricey, but we all begged and they got us by the balls.

I mostly was referring to the store glitches making me wait on buying it.
I got that - I bought Binary Domain the other day from the web MS store and while the transaction went through, when I got redirected to the game's page, the tab didn't say "you own this", the "buy now" button/tab was still there , here's the thing though, on my MS account, the game (and therefore transaction) WAS actually there and the game was also present on the "owned games" tab on my console (that's where I downloaded it from).
The game was bought using MS wallet money and not a credit card/PayPal though, don't know whether it's relevant but...yeah.
Hope this helps someone, cheers

intbal

Because of the controls ? 😁😁
Yep.
And, honestly, unless this game is your Game of the Millennium, you probably shouldn't play it through backwards compatibility. For the same reason that "click to sprint" games are harmful. It will greatly increase the degradation of your analog stick.

Top Bottom