• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft 1st party games are buy one, get three, right?

mili2110

If you buy a game, lets say Halo Infinite, in the Microsoft Store (on PC or Xbox) you get a Xbox Series S/X, Xbox One (X) and PC version, right? I am a bit confused. PS titles (if released on PC) are not for free when I own it on PS5/PS4, am I right?

Cloud version also, so I guess 4? It's an odd way to describe it. But yes, you get access to the game on any system it's on basically. This includes many 360 games and Xbox 1 games also. It varies by game, so you just have to see what is fully backwards compatible. Some stuff isn't.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If you buy a game, lets say Halo Infinite, in the Microsoft Store (on PC or Xbox) you get a Xbox Series S/X, Xbox One (X) and PC version, right? I am a bit confused. PS titles (if released on PC) are not for free when I own it on PS5/PS4, am I right?
Yeah, but it depends. I bought Flight Simulator on Steam but that doesn't mean I would be able to download it on Xbox. If I bought Flight Sim through the MS Store on PC then it'd be tied to my MS account so I'd be able to download it on Xbox.

If I buy a game on Xbox I can download it on PC through MS store.

Not the case with Playstation. There's no way to implement it (Sony doesn't have a store on PC) other than possibly linking your Steam + PSN accounts but as far as I know that doesn't exist. I mean if I were to buy Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam I wouldn't be able to go download it on PS5. It's definitely an area where MS has an advantage over Sony :)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, you get the MS store version on PC, but not the Steam version.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft also operates their own PC storefront, so they offer a cross buy thing which is nice.

It may be digital only though as I’ve seen Xbox discs, that don’t grant a digital PC copy.

The downside is you have to use the Windows Store, which is sorta eh….

Last edited:

reksveks

PS hasn't decided to return to the 'playanywhere' route at the moment. They obviously did it before when they had the Vita.

I do wonder if they implement *playanywhere' via their own pc launcher, does anything happen to your Sony PC games in Steam aka whether it gives you a license for the Sony version?

Personally hope the next move from xbox around putting your bought game on xCloud is well supported by publishers. (q for the geforce now crew, any major publishers missing? )

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Microsoft also operates their own PC storefront, so they offer a cross buy thing which is nice.

It may be digital only though as I’ve seen Xbox discs, that don’t grant a digital PC copy.
makes sense i suppose. you could borrow someones copy of Halo Infinite on Xbox, stick it in your Xbox, download it on PC, and give the Xbox copy back. It's too much hassle to verify that you actually own the game. You're not gonna insert your Xbox disc into your Xbox every time you want to play it on PC lol.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
PS hasn't decided to return to the 'playanywhere' route at the moment. They obviously did it before when they had the Vita.

I do wonder if they implement *playanywhere' via their own pc launcher, does anything happen to your Sony PC games in Steam aka whether it gives you a license for the Sony version?

Personally hope the next move from xbox around putting your bought game on xCloud is well supported by publishers. (q for the geforce now crew, any major publishers missing? )
if Sony release their own launcher client i would guess it will be seperate from any Steam purchase and be treated as it's own "platform". If you already bought a Sony game on Steam and want it on the Sony launcher my guess is you will need to buy it again.

Reizo Ryuu

It's not just first party games, it seems to apply to games that get added to cloud gaming as well.
I bought avengers on xbox in 2020, but since it was added to gamepass, and thus also has a cloud version, I now also own the pc version.
It seems the process of gamepass > cloud adds them to play anywhere.

reksveks

if Sony release their own launcher client i would guess it will be seperate from any Steam purchase and be treated as it's own "platform". If you already bought a Sony game on Steam and want it on the Sony launcher my guess is you will need to buy it again.
I feel like it's such an obvious own goal though

Pagusas

Elden Member
we need a “movies anywhere” like service for games, that ties all the digital accounts together and makes a single purchase available on them all (for all platforms). Good on MS for starting the process, more to go though

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I feel like it's such an obvious own goal though
yeah maybe. it might not be worth the trouble/money for Sony. MS is the same. If you buy their games on Steam you don't get shit. If you want to own it through the MS Store and get access to console versions then you need to buy it from their store. Doesn't matter if you already bought it on Steam.

Kilau

Gold Member
Yes kinda, I think with how smart delivery works you only install the best version for your device.

If you have an Xbone now and upgrade later it’s great, if you have a Series X you aren’t ever really getting the Xbone version.

On PS5 you can install and play the PS4 version which only matters if that version plays better in BC like Elden Ring or you want two sets of trophies.

Microsoft store on PC of course is a different and sometimes have a separate achievement list.

reksveks

yeah maybe. it might not be worth the trouble/money for Sony. MS is the same. If you buy their games on Steam you don't get shit. If you want to own it through the MS Store and get access to console versions then you need to buy it from their store. Doesn't matter if you already bought it on Steam.
But at the moment, if you are a Sony customer you have no choice but to buy from Steam. I think for new games launched after the Sony launcher release, it will be the same for the MS Store policy.

reksveks

we need a “movies anywhere” like service for games, that ties all the digital accounts together and makes a single purchase available on them all (for all platforms). Good on MS for starting the process, more to go though

It would be interesting to see if Tim puts his money where his mouth is but it is something that he did mention

lucius

Yeah I got Recore ,Halo Infinte most recent Gears games and some others free on PC, was hoping Halo MCC would transfer over but it didn’t . It’s good causes it syncs your saved with Series, and the series controller is easier to sync two things now with a double click it’s great.

Quasicat

Not the case with Playstation. There's no way to implement it (Sony doesn't have a store on PC) other than possibly linking your Steam + PSN accounts but as far as I know that doesn't exist. I mean if I were to buy Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam I wouldn't be able to go download it on PS5. It's definitely an area where MS has an advantage over Sony :)

Sony could implement this with Steam as Valve did something similar with Portal 2. When I bought it digitally for PS3, I not only got it on Steam, but the achievements popped up on both services. Its possible, but it would cost them more money to setup and run; probably not worth it for them to pursue this.

Top Bottom