• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft-Activision acquisition verdicts have been postponed pending further investigation by the governments of Australia and New Zealand

There goes any hopes off an Activision game Christmas pass drop.

I hope Microsoft give crash team racing an fps boost on the series X though or hell just patch a 60fps mode in, incredible kart racing game!
I was thinking, there goes any chance of making any money off this deal in time for Christmas. Maybe next year.

Menzies

Banned
I think the CMA are arguing that owning Activision & CoD, alongside their existing first party/brand recognition and cloud infrastructure, will make them the defacto major player in the future cloud streaming race and will make it borderline impossible for future entrants to make a dent.
Yep. Also I can't imagine MS lawyers have any issue with;

We, Microsoft agree to consent decree (27F. Part 14) to enter negotiations on fair and reasonable terms, access to ACTV properties, for any new entrants to the streaming games market, outside existing rivals.

The existing players in the game don't need any additional help to compete.

Kilau

Gold Member
I’m certain this deal will go through but if it doesn’t…

Dead To Me Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Lasha

I think the CMA are arguing that owning Activision & CoD, alongside their existing first party/brand recognition and cloud infrastructure, will make them the defacto major player in the future cloud streaming race and will make it borderline impossible for future entrants to make a dent.

Nobody stopped Disney from eating so many major IPs and pulling stuff from competing services. ATVI is big but it's not the market. The only one of the big three potentially affected is Sony.

Microsoft's cloud infrastructure isn't insurmountable. AWS is many times larger than Azure. Any publisher, Sony and Nintendo included, can partner with Amazon or Google to deliver. Nvidia is the current market leader in streaming and it uses a melange of its own infrastructure, local teleco partners, and AWS.

The CMA's response is weird. It reads like they want to preserve the status quo under the guise of protecting a future industry.

Hey dad, it's me your long lost son!

I'm guessing shares were surprisingly cheap 12 years ago!

I'm surprised you had not cashed out ages ago, especially with it being 8x the value already!
Notice that I did not sell when it was in the triple digits last year. Are you still proud of your foolish father my son?

Just waiting for their cheques to clear :messenger_beaming:

What people don't realize is that there is a good bit of info that's technically not really shared until it's absolutely necessary to do so. It's more necessary to do so in much larger transactions such as this. And if people recall, many have often stated that Xbox hasn't been very profitable for Microsoft and this is why they hide all their numbers, because they're so "embarrassed" by them. Many have said Game Pass isn't profitable and is losing them money. If that's true as some seem to believe, then Microsoft is going to end up showcasing that.

They're going to showcase via a deeper look at the games industry just how strong games like Apex Legends, Fortnite etc., actually are. They're going to showcase all the biggest hits and the kinds of numbers they do. They're going to showcase Playstation's best games consistently moving big numbers and cleaning up GOTY awards. They're going to showcase that the last time the COD franchise was more associated with Xbox rather than Playstation, Playstation 3 performed relatively equal to Xbox 360 worldwide despite releasing an entire year later and coming at a much more expensive price. In fact, PS3 would eventually pass the Xbox 360. And 6 of Call of Duty's most popular peak years in the last 10 years have actually been during the 360 and Playstation 3 era, and even then Call of Duty's closer association with Xbox merely only allowed them to almost draw even with Playstation.

They're going to demonstrate the popularity of things such as Final Fantasy XIV that were so popular that the company had to literally halt sales because of how popular it was. That's a game not even available to Xbox owners. These are the types of deeper details that CMA doesn't understand or know about at a glance. They're going to demonstrate that people aren't mostly buying a Playstation console for games like Call of Duty. They're buying them for NBA 2K, FIFA, sony's biggest exclusives like God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, The Last of Us and more. CMA doesn't care or know anything about Final Fantasy VII Remake right now. They may not have actually dug very deep into the sales breakdown for individual franchises outside of Call of Duty. They don't even seem to know that World of Warcraft isn't even available on ANY console right now.

Microsoft and Activision will go into more detail of the current videogame industry, explaining how from their Bethesda purchase thus far, all new next generation titles from Bethesda are so far fully exclusive to Playstation 5. Deathloop, a critical hit, multiple GOTY winner. And then there's Ghostwire: Tokyo. Since then? They've equally upgraded games from Bethesda on both PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, they've released Skyrim anniversary edition on both systems also. They own Minecraft, the new Minecraft Legends is coming to Playstation 5 next year. Diablo IV is coming to PS5. Overwatch 2 is coming to PS5. The current status quo will not only see PS5 get COD 2024, but with the agreement they've put on the table they will get COD for 3 more years additional, at which point further negotiations can take place. But this ignores the fact that Sony has some of their biggest and most anticipated games coming out next year, like Spider-Man 2, one of the most recognizable super hero brands in the world, a game that won't come to Xbox along with other big titles Sony. At no point will Sony be unable to compete as a result of Microsoft acquiring Activision Blizzard. Playstation customers are more than comfortable paying the prices Sony sets forth. Microsoft is choosing to do a combination of up front one time fee as well as the push hard with their Game Pass business model. Another thing, Microsoft will let CMA know that PS Plus has more than twice the number of reported subscribers as compared to Game Pass.

This is just a lazy explaining of what Microsoft can present to CMA and FTC. And I haven't even touched hits like Cyberpunk 2077, Elden Ring, and all the other games that will demonstrate that as popular as Call of Duty might be, it isn't somehow irreplaceable or such a strong force where it will shift the entire industry in an unfair fashion.

What people don't realize is that there is a good bit of info that's technically not really shared until it's absolutely necessary to do so. It's more necessary to do so in much larger transactions such as this. And if people recall, many have often stated that Xbox hasn't been very profitable for Microsoft and this is why they hide all their numbers, because they're so "embarrassed" by them. Many have said Game Pass isn't profitable and is losing them money. If that's true as some seem to believe, then Microsoft is going to end up showcasing that.

They're going to showcase via a deeper look at the games industry just how strong games like Apex Legends, Fortnite etc., actually are. They're going to showcase all the biggest hits and the kinds of numbers they do. They're going to showcase Playstation's best games consistently moving big numbers and cleaning up GOTY awards. They're going to showcase that the last time the COD franchise was more associated with Xbox rather than Playstation, Playstation 3 performed relatively equal to Xbox 360 worldwide despite releasing an entire year later and coming at a much more expensive price. In fact, PS3 would eventually pass the Xbox 360. And 6 of Call of Duty's most popular peak years in the last 10 years have actually been during the 360 and Playstation 3 era, and even then Call of Duty's closer association with Xbox merely only allowed them to almost draw even with Playstation.

They're going to demonstrate the popularity of things such as Final Fantasy XIV that were so popular that the company had to literally halt sales because of how popular it was. That's a game not even available to Xbox owners. These are the types of deeper details that CMA doesn't understand or know about at a glance. They're going to demonstrate that people aren't mostly buying a Playstation console for games like Call of Duty. They're buying them for NBA 2K, FIFA, sony's biggest exclusives like God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, The Last of Us and more. CMA doesn't care or know anything about Final Fantasy VII Remake right now. They may not have actually dug very deep into the sales breakdown for individual franchises outside of Call of Duty. They don't even seem to know that World of Warcraft isn't even available on ANY console right now.

Microsoft and Activision will go into more detail of the current videogame industry, explaining how from their Bethesda purchase thus far, all new next generation titles from Bethesda are so far fully exclusive to Playstation 5. Deathloop, a critical hit, multiple GOTY winner. And then there's Ghostwire: Tokyo. Since then? They've equally upgraded games from Bethesda on both PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, they've released Skyrim anniversary edition on both systems also. They own Minecraft, the new Minecraft Legends is coming to Playstation 5 next year. Diablo IV is coming to PS5. Overwatch 2 is coming to PS5. The current status quo will not only see PS5 get COD 2024, but with the agreement they've put on the table they will get COD for 3 more years additional, at which point further negotiations can take place. But this ignores the fact that Sony has some of their biggest and most anticipated games coming out next year, like Spider-Man 2, one of the most recognizable super hero brands in the world, a game that won't come to Xbox along with other big titles Sony. At no point will Sony be unable to compete as a result of Microsoft acquiring Activision Blizzard. Playstation customers are more than comfortable paying the prices Sony sets forth. Microsoft is choosing to do a combination of up front one time fee as well as the push hard with their Game Pass business model. Another thing, Microsoft will let CMA know that PS Plus has more than twice the number of reported subscribers as compared to Game Pass.

This is just a lazy explaining of what Microsoft can present to CMA and FTC. And I haven't even touched hits like Cyberpunk 2077, Elden Ring, and all the other games that will demonstrate that as popular as Call of Duty might be, it isn't somehow irreplaceable or such a strong force where it will shift the entire industry in an unfair fashion.

So Microsoft is going to have to admit to how uncompetitive they are just so they can get this deal pushed through?

Send the regulators a resume of all the accomplishments Phil has made since he took over?

That’s gangsta as shit

Last edited:

Yoboman

None of this addresses the CMAs primary voiced concern than it reduces competition particularly in the cloud and multigame subscription markets which are emerging

I hope MS lawyers have better arguments than "other games exist too"

Thirty7ven

Banned
As much as they'll learn it's as normal as having such market powers as raising prices and still out selling competition?

Raising prices because of inflation? Hello? Every industry doing it.

You know what regulators don’t like? If you are bossing the market and then undercut everyone else because hello you want a monopoly.

The point you are raising isn’t a point, it’s just something that bugs you.

Menzies

Banned
Raising prices because of inflation? Hello? Every industry doing it.

You know what regulators don’t like? If you are bossing the market and then undercut everyone else because hello you want a monopoly.

The point you are raising isn’t a point, it’s just something that bugs you.
I agree that inflation has played a role. However, you can only do it (and do it first within your industry) to express your market power. Microsoft and Nintendo are similarly effected by the same inflation and have not raised prices.

I think I watched a Hoeg video recently, where he said one of the tests of a monopoly within an industry is to raise prices 10% against the competition and witness any changes. Have there been any?

Part of the assessment from regulators is the impact to consumers. In particular, price. And consumers benefit from a more competitive field.

MikeM

NZ is a meme country, I bet they're waiting for the big boys to make a decision before making one themselves.
Meme country that forms part of the five eyes. Pretty important in the world.
So what. Other countries should not have the authority to block mergers of US firms.
Don’t do business in those countries then. Otherwise, their rules apply.
The purpose of my post was that Sony and Microsoft are about even in total acquisitions. Therefore, my post accomplished exactly what I set out to do. I clarified in a later post that even though Sony has a measly three additional acquisitions, Microsoft's cumulative acquisitions were far larger than Sony's.
Volume- sure. Effect on revenue streams and the industry as a whole for both sides- MS’ deals on destroy Sony’s.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I agree that inflation has played a role. However, you can only do it (and do it first within your industry) to express your market power. Microsoft and Nintendo are similarly effected by the same inflation and have not raised prices, in the sense that they stand to gain from it.

I think I watched a Hoeg video recently, where he said one of the tests of a monopoly within an industry is to raise prices 10% against the competition and witness any changes. Have there been any?

Part of the assessment from regulators is the impact to consumers. In particular, price. And consumers benefit from a more competitive field.

If the currency is weaker, they haven’t really raised prices.

Considering they are selling at a loss, it’s pure financial muscle by MS to not raise prices. Nintendo was making a lot of money on hardware, they will simply make less.

Look at the automotive industry to see how the same conditions that have affected game hardware have ballooned car prices.

MS buying AB doesn’t make the industry more competitive, it’s eliminating competition if anything.

Last edited:
If it doesn't go through it'll be some real shenanigans of the highest order lol.

MS has cash upfront, Activision is ready to be sold without hesitation. Both the buyer and seller are in agreement.
Don't forget the employees of Activision want to be out from Kotick. There are some real negatives to maintaining the status quo.

None of this addresses the CMAs primary voiced concern than it reduces competition particularly in the cloud and multigame subscription markets which are emerging

I hope MS lawyers have better arguments than "other games exist too"
Didn't Sony start those markets on console with PS Now? Isn't Sony the current market leader? I could understand if Sony was making the acquisition but since MS is and is in third place I am not seeing how competition is being reduced. Nothing MS has done is stopping Sony from competing. If fact the lack of competition to Sony is why they felt comfortable raising prices on games and their consoles in the first place.

Menzies

Banned
If the currency is weaker, they haven’t really raised prices.

Considering they are selling at a loss, it’s pure financial muscle by MS to not raise prices. Nintendo was making a lot of money on hardware, they will simply make less.

Look at the automotive industry to see how the same conditions that have affected game hardware have ballooned car prices.

MS buying AB doesn’t make the industry more competitive, it’s eliminating competition if anything.
Well we've got to part ways with reason and logic here.

Sony is market leader in revenue and sales for generations. They have loyal fans. The gulf is such as you can safely use ratios like 2:1 and annual revenues contrasting 6 billion dollars. They hold their dominant position over rivals with negotiating favorable exclusives with third-parties.

Not sure many can dispute that middle paragraph with a straight face or deduce this move eliminates competition. But hello, people don't usually make decisions based on logic, so who knows how this plays out.

Yoboman

Don't forget the employees of Activision want to be out from Kotick. There are some real negatives to maintaining the status quo.

Didn't Sony start those markets on console with PS Now? Isn't Sony the current market leader? I could understand if Sony was making the acquisition but since MS is and is in third place I am not seeing how competition is being reduced. Nothing MS has done is stopping Sony from competing. If fact the lack of competition to Sony is why they felt comfortable raising prices on games and their consoles in the first place.
The CMA specifically said

The CMA has also received evidence about the potential impact of combining Activision Blizzard with Microsoft’s broader ecosystem. Microsoft already has a leading gaming console (Xbox), a leading cloud platform (Azure), and the leading PC operating system (Windows OS), all of which could be important to its success in cloud gaming. The CMA is concerned that Microsoft could leverage Activision Blizzard’s games together with Microsoft’s strength across console, cloud, and PC operating systems to damage competition in the nascent market for cloud gaming services.

The CMA considers that these concerns warrant an in-depth Phase 2 investigation. Microsoft and Activision Blizzard now have 5 working days to submit proposals to address the CMA’s concerns. If suitable proposals are not submitted, the deal will be referred for a Phase 2 investigation.

MS might be 3rd in console sales, none of us know what their true market position is when you account for console sales, subscriptions, and impact on Windows and Azure both as the consumer facing xcloud but also as a service to other companies. Again, the regulators are taking a broader view than who ranked where in console sales

Particularly they seem concerned with MS fortifying their position in cloud gaming that they see as a competitive and new market that they are the market leader in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The CMA report also says:

“The CMA is concerned that having full control over this powerful catalogue, especially in light of Microsoft’s already strong position in gaming consoles, operating systems, and cloud infrastructure, could result in Microsoft harming consumers by impairing Sony’s – Microsoft’s closest gaming rival – ability to compete,”

“PlayStation currently has a larger share of the console gaming market than Xbox, but the CMA considers that Call of Duty is sufficiently important that losing access to it (or losing access on competitive terms) could significantly impact Sony’s revenues and user base,”

“This impact is likely to be felt especially at the launch of the next generation of consoles, where gamers make fresh decisions about which console to buy. The CMA believes that the Merger could, therefore, significantly weaken Microsoft’s closest rival, to the detriment of overall competition in console gaming.”

Just about anyone will read the above will come to the same conclusion that the CMA are first and foremost looking out for Sony's best interest here. Hence they're getting clowned by pretty much every blue check on twitter relating to how utterly biased their summary sounds.

Last edited:

Yoboman

The CMA report also says:

Just about anyone will read the above will come to the same conclusion that the CMA are first and foremost looking out for Sony's best interest here. Hence they're getting clowned by pretty much every blue check on twitter relating to how utterly biased their summary sounds.
Wow support of the blue checks on twitter? Thats huge news because historically they have been right about everything and never been a bad take from them

DavidGzz

Sony Acquisitions:
May 21, 1993 - Psygnosis
December 1, 2000 - Bend Studio
January 22, 2001 - Naughty Dog
August 7, 2002 - Incognito Entertainment
December 7, 2005 - Guerrilla Games
January 25, 2006 - Zipper Interactive
May 15, 2007 - Sigil Games Online Inc
September 20, 2007 - Evolution Studios, Bigbig Studios
March 2, 2010 - Media Molecule
August 2, 2011 - Sucker Punch Productions
January 8, 2019 - Audiokinetic
August 19, 2019 - Insomniac Games
June 29, 2021 - Housemarque
July 1, 2021 - Nixxes Software
September 8, 2021 - Firesprite
September 29, 2021 - Fabrik Games
September 30, 2021 - Bluepoint Games
December 10, 2021 - Valkyrie Entertainment
February 1, 2022 - Lasengle (gaming division of DelightWorks)
March 21, 2022 - Haven Studios
July 15, 2022 - Bungie
August 29, 2022 - Savage Game Studios

When MS buys studios the blue team says, since they have no talent, they have to buy talent. Sony has been doing it for ages as well. Funny that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow support of the blue checks on twitter? Thats huge news because historically they have been right about everything and never been a bad take from them

If it's something that unifies almost all of them, you know it's something worth observing 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, the wording of their (CMA) own summary speaks for itself. It reads like they're directly reading talking points sent to them by Jimbo/Sony.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If for some CRAZY reason it doesn't.......oh boy.

I can see it now, Xbox fans Having to consider that they will have to pay for COD rather than get it free with gamepass.

In other situations it would be very important to point out that gamepass isn't free so the games aren't either.

However, that will be overlooked in this instance. Xbox fans will be told "AH, HAHAHAHA! NO FREE COD FOR YOU!!!!" While simultaneously being told that COD is a shit game and not a proper game like either Returnal or Spiderman.

Shortly afterwards, someone who is disappointed will will post that they didnt care about COD anyway, and they play Forza more than shooters. They'll be told that is a lie and that all they want to play is COD and that they're actually really sad to not be getting to play it for free (Gamepass rule still in place, as above).

Then Microsoft announce that the upcoming GTA will be included on Gamepass for 2 months and it will be pointed out that gamepass, at full price, paid monthly, is terrible value because it costs $120 a year and GTA is only $60, meaning it's twice as expensive on xbox vs PlayStation.

Then a pc guy, depressed that nobody has mentioned pc gaming for a while will come in, wipe the sad tears from their eyes and say "I just laugh at console people, games are cheaper on pc and run better on my $3k graphics card." But Nobody will pay attention.

Basically the meltdowns will be the same as any given Thursday on here.

Last edited:
Sony has been acquiring studios unchecked since Sega dropped out of the hardware business and collected all of their monopoly cards. Why is it suddenly a problem when MS acquires a studio, because of its size? The sum of Sony's acquired studios over time far exceeds this one time purchase.
There are so many things wrong here, I don't know where to begin.

M16

The deal will go through and nobody will do shit. This is just politicians being politicians trying to make themselves look like they are working. They have alot more to lose if they don't approve this deal. Microsoft gives governments deals and they could really fuck them up.

The CMA specifically said

MS might be 3rd in console sales, none of us know what their true market position is when you account for console sales, subscriptions, and impact on Windows and Azure both as the consumer facing xcloud but also as a service to other companies. Again, the regulators are taking a broader view than who ranked where in console sales

Particularly they seem concerned with MS fortifying their position in cloud gaming that they see as a competitive and new market that they are the market leader in.
The CMA statement is pretty laughable especially the part about MS having a leading console with MS being third there. The OS doesn't really make any difference when the leading game distributors on PC is Steam a company MS does not own. I fail to see the relevance of the cloud part because again Sony was doing cloud game streaming on consoles before MS was.

The bar for phase 2 investigation is pretty low and was expected but the CMA will need better reasons than what they listed if they are really concerned about competition. I did not see how the acquisition hurt customers for example especially in light of the prices MS has been charging for their services in comparison to others.

Hoeg Law breaks it down perfectly. Watch his video.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Most of the green rats are saying Sony will have enough time to come up with alternates to counter CoD leaving PS for good, if that ever happens.

They have Bungie now.

That's not a valid argument since a stipulation for the Bungie acquisition was they they remain multi-platform. And it was already confirmed that Call of Duty would only stay multi-platform for three years.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
can't wait to play Soul Caliber III on my Xbox and Gamecube right after the 2nd game was a successful well covered cross-platform title with great mind share, and also the GTA trilogy.

Oh no. I can't play them. Why did this happen?
Dead or Alive 3 and 4 were Xbox exclusives. Dead or Alive 4 and 6 released on PlayStation consoles.
Soul Calibur 3 was a PS exclusive title. Soul Calibur 4 - 6 released on multiple platforms.

It's dumb when people bring up exclusive titles like this.

Crayon

This green rats thing is weird because I've never seen a place that has a pet name for just xb fanboys but not ps ones. Or vice versa. Shouldn't they come in pairs? Xbots and sony ponies?

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Done quick?

Where did you get that from?

They said it might complete middle of next year.
Next year is what I’ve always heard from folks at Activision. Not that they’re even close to being in the know on the approval details, but that’s what’s being communicated internally

Yoboman

This green rats thing is weird because I've never seen a place that has a pet name for just xb fanboys but not ps ones. Or vice versa. Shouldn't they come in pairs? Xbots and sony ponies?
It's a reference to an account suicide, it's not meant to be used seriously

Top Bottom