• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I love how pro-Xbox people are suggesting outright systematic goverment corruption and years of horrific rep for MS just to salvage some failed M&A attempt for non-vital business arm of the company.

With all those sporadic moves by Smith and vague interivew from Roberto de Gatto I'm fully convinced that this is will be over around July. Thankfully.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Ok, I'm back, what I miss?

Seeing alot about Microsoft pulling out of the UK. Immediate take: Bad idea. There's people who work in the UK for Microsoft, what happens to them?
Maybe something the UK should have considered before becoming the saviors of cloud gaming. It was a dumb decision to block the deal. Everyone loses, and it made cloud gaming more restricted. We could have Activision games on GeForce Now and xCloud if it was allowed to go trough. We'll also get the games trough Gamepass, and probably Steam. PC and Xbox gamers should love this.

Last edited:

Drell

Maybe something the UK should have considered before becoming the saviors of cloud gaming. It was a dumb decision to block the deal. Everyone loses, and it made cloud gaming more restricted. We could have Activision games on GeForce Now and xCloud if it was allowed to go trough.
Yeah we should never discuss any move any member of the GAMAM do. Let them buy everything how they want, or the world is doomed.

Ar¢tos

Maybe something the UK should have considered before becoming the saviors of cloud gaming. It was a dumb decision to block the deal. Everyone loses, and it made cloud gaming more restricted. We could have Activision games on GeForce Now and xCloud if it was allowed to go trough.
Your last post in GAF was monday, your last post in this thread was more than 2 weeks ago.
How do the rotations work? Is there an HR department making weekly schedules?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I love Sting...
5zZdch8.gif

reinking

Gold Member

reinking

Gold Member
Maybe something the UK should have considered before becoming the saviors of cloud gaming. It was a dumb decision to block the deal. Everyone loses, and it made cloud gaming more restricted. We could have Activision games on GeForce Now and xCloud if it was allowed to go trough. We'll also get the games trough Gamepass, and probably Steam. PC and Xbox gamers should love this.
Stop with the everyone loses BS. I can play Activision games today and I will be able to play them in the future regardless of the outcome of this deal. The only difference is, I might not be able to play them on my PlayStation if it goes through. If Activision sees an advantage in bringing their game to GeForce or xCloud they will make that deal if this fails. Such a disingenuous take to say "everyone loses" as if this deal is the savior of gaming.

Over It Whatever GIF

wolffy66

Reiterating the point I already made.

"There will be a point that MS-ABK will have exhausted all their legal options. If the answer is consistently "no" then that's all there is to it."

If you don't get it then you just don't get it.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Or they won't be exhausted?

Riky

$MSFT
I would love to be a fly on the wall in these meetings, just what is said.
"This partly stems from renewed pressure from competition authorities, Lund-Yates said, pointing to the UK Competition & Markets Authority's recent intervention in Microsoft Corp's takeover of Activision Blizzard Inc.

The CMA recently said it would block planned Microsoft's planned USD75 billion takeover of the Call of Duty, Candy Crush and World of Warcraft maker over competition concerns, prompting Microsoft to launch an appeal.

The episode was seen to "embody the challenge facing the UK", Lund-Yates said.

"The region is seen by some as a less accommodating place in which to do big business, and this could have implications across UK valuations," she warned."

Probably will point out the impact it's having.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I would love to be a fly on the wall in these meetings, just what is said.
I’ll save you the bother of wondering.

Brad: this will be good because X, Y, Z

CMA: no it won’t (cites dossier of evidence).

Jeremy Cunt: I understand your POV Brad, and I understand the CMA’s POV. *insert plenty of catch phrases to try and smooth the tension like ‘we want to continue working openly and transparently with Microsoft to ensure a healthy, mutually beneficial relationship moving forwards’*

feynoob

Banned
Where’s all the posters with only 85 posts in 9 years coming out of the wood work to speak out against this opposition?

What a happy coincidence for Microsoft that all of these people are in favour of the deal.
The insults that all of us here have to suffer is insane.
We are ready to whore ourselves for those paychecks, yet MS is picking these dudes.

All we want is just 2k a month, and we will work tirelessly like twitter fanbase.

Gone

Banned
I know people will disagree but no agency like the CMA or anyone else should have the power to stop such an acquisition after you got 38 other countries to let it go though.

And on top of that, to use the cloud gaming thing as an excuse is laughable at best and deep down we all know that.

Right now, I just want this thing to be over with (hopefully with the deal going through tho).

We'll see what happens next.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I know people will disagree but no agency like the CMA or anyone else should have the power to stop such an acquisition after you got 38 other countries to let it go though.

And on top of that, to use the cloud gaming thing as an excuse is laughable at best and deep down we all know that.

Right now, I just want this thing to be over with (hopefully with the deal going through tho).

We'll see what happens next.

So you think the way this should work is by majority? Then just go around and get what you want passed in a bunch of markets that don’t matter at all and you always win? Just big braining it I see.

Why do you hope the deal goes through? So you can save a few bucks every five years when Diablo launches or something?

Gone

Banned
So you think the way this should work is by majority? Then just go around and get what you want passed in a bunch of markets that don’t matter at all and you always win? Just big braining it I see.

Why do you hope the deal goes through? So you can save a few bucks every five years when Diablo launches or something?
So you think one country should be able to police the world's acquisitions? Seems really big braining.

Why wouldn't I want it? The whole console competition thing was thrown out of the window by your beloved acquisition police agency and now you're suddenly concerned about the cloud market?

Thirty7ven

Banned
So you think one country should be able to police the world's acquisitions? Seems really big braining.

Why wouldn't I want it? The whole console competition thing was thrown out of the window by your beloved acquisition police agency and now you're suddenly concerned about the cloud market?

MS and ABK identified 4 key regulators. One demanded remedies, two of them are moving to block.

You didn’t answer the questions.

feynoob

Banned

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA
July 4 Usa GIF
july 4 america GIF

bitbydeath

*Two countries.

Gone

Banned
MS and ABK identified 4 key regulators. One demanded remedies, two of them are moving to block.

You didn’t answer the questions.
And the remedies were accepted by one.

The CMA's decision is absurd and refusing the remedies makes it more absurd.

The FTC (the whole Biden administration) is a joke and if it was the only one left the deal would've been closed by now.

I did answer your question, why wouldn't I want it to go through? It benefits me and it doesn't have any effect on the console market (again, proven by the beloved CMA) so that's why I want it to go through.

reinking

Gold Member
He seems to think Microsoft's legal options for getting this deal approved in the UK will never end. He is simply wrong.
Some people seem to forget that ABK has a say in all of this. Even if MS is willing to fight it indefinitely, I don't think ABK will. As others have pointed out, they are in a much stronger position now than when they entered this acquisition. They are coming off of a very successful game launch. It will be interesting to see if they agree to a short-term extension but Bobby seems to be coming to terms with moving on.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Are you American?
Nah he's the guy who knows which countries count legally in a merger and acquisition.He's the guy that instinctively knows that when a contract mention specifically validation from UK and us, they don't matter unlike 30 countries that weren't mentioned in the legally binding contract.That is a special kind of universal knowledge not available to most of us common folks

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
At what point do these absurd mergers become "whoa hold-up maybe the regulators should take a serious look at that?" - the Zenimax deal was ridiculous, prior to that Minecraft for $2 billion was obscene - neither should have been approved (in my opinion).

Whatever your thoughts are with respect to the bid to buy ABK, it’s kinda absurd to rope in the Minecraft deal as ‘obscene’, especially now you have the benefit of hindsight as to how they’ve managed the IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom