• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone

Banned
lol....not going to argue with your made up numbers. If/when cloud gaming becomes a big thing then Activision Blizzard is going to want to sell their games on those services just like they sell games on local platforms. An independent ABK ensures they attempt to get the most platform coverage for their games just as they do now. That isn't necessarily the case with a Microsoft owned ABK. The larger problem, to me, is that in 10 years Microsoft will be able to pull Call of Duty off competing platforms, both in cloud and local, and no one will be able to do anything about it. I'm sure Xbox die-hards love that idea, but it sucks for gamers in general.
But you'll accept the CMA made up possible future scenario? Got it.

Microsoft could do that and even if they did (most likely they won't) it wouldn't affect other consoles and this was said by the holy CMA itself.

Topher

Gold Member
But you'll accept the CMA made up possible future scenario? Got it.

Microsoft could do that and even if they did (most likely they won't) it wouldn't affect other consoles and this was said by the holy CMA itself.

CMA has data backing them up. You don't.

I didn't say anything about consoles. I said it would suck for gamers in general. And it would. But Microsoft benefits so you're happy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well, they're
q55AuAO.gif
Lil Yachty Drake GIF by hamlet

Bridges

Listen guys, I'm gonna be real with all of you.

I don't give a damn about cloud gaming or any of that nonsense. Large companies merging and getting acquired usually is an eyebrow raiser for me BUT

this deal passing is the only way I get a new Guitar Hero.

I'd let Microsoft overthrow the United States government and instill a dictatorship if it meant we went back to yearly GH releases.

This is who I am

feynoob

Banned
Listen guys, I'm gonna be real with all of you.

I don't give a damn about cloud gaming or any of that nonsense. Large companies merging and getting acquired usually is an eyebrow raiser for me BUT

this deal passing is the only way I get a new Guitar Hero.

I'd let Microsoft overthrow the United States government and instill a dictatorship if it meant we went back to yearly GH releases.

This is who I am

I can respect that.
I will do the same, if it means I get to play new splinter cell and play TES6 right now.

feynoob

Banned
How would it stuck? It would be great to get everything on gamepass and pc. And also under new management, some older ip might get rejuvenated.
The problem isn't that. Everyone will love to have Activision games on both services and new management.

The issue is MS. They treated this deal as a playground, made the revenue from cloud locked to Xbox. They made 10 year plan, instead of actually addressing the real concern.

CMA genuinely wanted to negotiate with MS, but MS shat on them and gave them garbage deals.

The EU who approved this deal, had to make the cloud license free.

Last edited:
Yes MS taught is was a done deal that those 4 regulators would past the deal...easy peasy. But that mindset has bite them in the ass, now they are in panicmode....
I think if the CMA wasn't in the agreement it still would be a problem. However they have more options in that case.

CMA genuinely wanted to negotiate with MS, but MS shat on them and gave them garbage deals.

Things would have ended differently if they didn't disrespect the CMA so much. They really should have paid attention to their concerns instead of doing the minimum and thinking the CMA was fine with it.

Last edited:

Calverz

The problem isn't that. Everyone will love to have Activision games on both services and new management.

The issue is MS. They treated this deal as a playground, made the revenue from cloud locked to Xbox. They made 10 year plan, instead of actually addressing the real concern.

The EU who approved this deal, had to make the cloud license free.
Ok so does the average gamer care about any of that?

Calverz

Yes. MS will do whatever they want, once they are in top position.
Just look at Nintendo and Sony. Only reason people aren't pulling the forks and torchs on them, is because of the games they make.
Yea but that’s a hypothetical situation. Just because MS would own them, doesn’t mean they all of a sudden start to make redfall like games. Whereas the fact is, everything would go onto gamepass including stuff like cod and Diablo 4. I’m not sure how this is bad for gamers. Sounds good to me.

feynoob

Banned
Yea but that’s a hypothetical situation. Just because MS would own them, doesn’t mean they all of a sudden start to make redfall like games. Whereas the fact is, everything would go onto gamepass including stuff like cod and Diablo 4. I’m not sure how this is bad for gamers. Sounds good to me.
It's not. MS literally got sued by the US, for pulling that shit on browser.

They will use whatever opportunity they have to increase their influence and power.

Never trust a trillion dollar company. They never got that big for being nice to consumers.

Calverz

It's not. MS literally got sued by the US, for pulling that shit on browser.

They will use whatever opportunity they have to increase their influence and power.

Never trust a trillion dollar company. They never got that big for being nice to consumers.
Again. Hypothetical arguments. Fact is, evrything currently goes onto gamepass. This is a win for gamers. It can’t be argued. Yea ok it might all go to shit eventually but that ain’t gonna happen overnight.

Look to me, it seems like there a bunch of guys on this forum who are ultimately upset that Microsoft are essentially buying themselves to possible victory. Like it’s not deserved or fair. And it isn’t. But unfortunately we live in a capitalist society. It’s not fair lol

dibella360

Banned
Question for you all. A hypothetical scenario here (I don't think this will happen)... but let's say Microsoft and ABK alter the deal so they can close without the CMA approval. How big would the fine be for MS?

In one way... as long as the fines are less than the 3 billion breakup fees... wouldn't that be considered a win?

As it stands, Microsoft is paying 3 billion regardless and is getting nothing .... but if the CMA fees are less than this; it provides them with all the IP/studios, time to fight it in court, and the option to remove themself from the UK if needed. Hell, even if they are forced to divest afterward (like Facebook/Giphy) ... they could potentially break even after the sale.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Again. Hypothetical arguments. Fact is, evrything currently goes onto gamepass. This is a win for gamers. It can’t be argued. Yea ok it might all go to shit eventually but that ain’t gonna happen overnight.
You’d probably build some credit if you reworded that to;

a win for people who are happy to be within Microsoft’s ecosystem permanently

Look to me, it seems like there a bunch of guys on this forum who are ultimately upset that Microsoft are essentially buying themselves to possible victory. Like it’s not deserved or fair. And it isn’t. But unfortunately we live in a capitalist society. It’s not fair lol
I think that speaks more to the Microsoft fanboys to tell you the truth who think that’s what’s happening.

Microsoft won’t win in the console space no matter who they buy because you can’t buy soul.

Last edited:

Calverz

You’d probably build some credit if you reworded that to;

a win for people who are happy to be within Microsoft’s ecosystem permanently

I think that speaks more to the Microsoft fanboys to tell you the truth who think that’s what’s happening.

Microsoft won’t win in the console space no matter who they buy because you can’t buy soul.
Dude you are literally an example of what I’m talking about. If you don’t want to be in a Microsoft ecosystem then don’t. All I care about is getting games free*. I couldn’t care less about the ecosystem. When I’m playing totk, demons souls, halo I’m not caring about ecosystems.

LordCBH

Just you wait until they double the cost of Gamepass. A lot of people play 1. Maybe 2 games a year. Now imagine paying $20 a month for Gamepass when you may only truly want 1-2 games a year.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Dude you are literally an example of what I’m talking about. If you don’t want to be in a Microsoft ecosystem then don’t. All I care about is getting games free*. I couldn’t care less about the ecosystem. When I’m playing totk, demons souls, halo I’m not caring about ecosystems.
Good for you, I’m just explaining to you that what you want =/= good for gamers.

Question for you all. A hypothetical scenario here (I don't think this will happen)... but let's say Microsoft and ABK alter the deal so they can close without the CMA approval. How big would the fine be for MS?

In one way... as long as the fines are less than the 3 billion breakup fees... wouldn't that be considered a win?

As it stands, Microsoft is paying 3 billion regardless and is getting nothing .... but if the CMA fees are less than this; it provides them with all the IP/studios, time to fight it in court, and the option to remove themself from the UK if needed. Hell, even if they are forced to divest afterward (like Facebook/Giphy) ... they could potentially break even after the sale.

Well the fees isn't the only thing they will have to pay. Like if they pull out of the UK or show they won't respect regulators that can have other costs besides the fees. And it wouldn't be short term either the impact would be a lot longer than that.

The best way to do this is to fight through the appeal process.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned

It's a win for you, but not for gamers.
Gamepass users aren't the only the only gamers out there. And if you want to play cloud gaming after 10 years, you are stuck with MS only as your biggest supplier.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The games are purchasable individually though?
So if you want to buy the games instead of renting them, can you explain how that would be a win for gamers?

You lose the option of buying CoD on PlayStation (in 10 years time) and games like Tony Hawks, Crash and Spyro are no longer available to buy on Nintendo platforms. You now have to buy the games wherever Microsoft dictate.

Calverz

It's a win for you, but not for gamers.
Gamepass users aren't the only the only gamers out there. And if you want to play cloud gaming after 10 years, you are stuck with MS only as your biggest supplier.
I’m not interested in cloud gaming and even if I was, why would them being the biggest supplier pose a problem? Someone has to be the biggest supplier and it’s likely that could be nvidia the way things are headed. The games aren’t locked to gamepass.

Calverz

So if you want to buy the games instead of renting them, can you explain how that would be a win for gamers?

You lose the option of buying CoD on PlayStation (in 10 years time) and games like Tony Hawks, Crash and Spyro are no longer available to buy on Nintendo platforms. You now have to buy the games wherever Microsoft dictate.
Exclusivity yes. Exclusivity sucks but ultimately, it’s mitigated by having the games release on gamepass day one. And MS hve stated they want gmepass on as many devices so currently you have a choice of Xbox, pc, cloud. It would be good if it was possible on Nintendo and Sony platforms but I understand and agree with why they don’t want it. But ultimately that’s their fault.

I would love to be able to play ps5 releases day one on pc with a subscription.

feynoob

Banned
I’m not interested in cloud gaming and even if I was, why would them being the biggest supplier pose a problem? Someone has to be the biggest supplier and it’s likely that could be nvidia the way things are headed. The games aren’t locked to gamepass.
Because they have everything at their disposal to rule that area.
Gamepass: ✓
Azure: ✓
Xcloud:✓
Data centers around the world: ✓
Eating the cost of maintaining xcloud:✓

And now with Activision, most people will sub to their system, as the value is simply too strong.

MS has the cash to make GTA6 exclusive to Xcloud and can do that as they have no competition.

Calverz

Because they have everything at their disposal to rule that area.
Gamepass: ✓
Azure: ✓
Xcloud:✓
Data centers around the world: ✓
Eating the cost of maintaining xcloud:✓

And now with Activision, most people will sub to their system, as the value is simply too strong.

MS has the cash to make GTA6 exclusive to Xcloud and can do that as they have no competition.
Exactly my point!

Dude they are not gonna buy gta6 and make it exclusive to the cloud. Take the tinfoil hat off.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Exclusivity yes. Exclusivity sucks but ultimately, it’s mitigated by having the games release on gamepass day one. And MS hve stated they want gmepass on as many devices so currently you have a choice of Xbox, pc, cloud. It would be good if it was possible on Nintendo and Sony platforms but I understand and agree with why they don’t want it. But ultimately that’s their fault.
That doesn’t explain why this deal would be good for someone who currently purchases their games.

You can currently purchase ABK games on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo and PC. And the CMA have access to documents which support the fact that ABK have proactively engaged in dialogue with Cloud providers.

So how is reducing that to just Xbox, PC and Cloud good for anyone?

I would love to be able to play ps5 releases day one on pc with a subscription.
Well, that’s not PlayStation’s model, and unlike Microsoft and Xbox, Sony actually need a hugely profitable PlayStation business for the good of the overall company.

Calverz

That doesn’t explain why this deal would be good for someone who currently purchases their games.

You can currently purchase ABK games on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo and PC. And the CMA have access to documents which support the fact that ABK have proactively engaged in dialogue with Cloud providers.

So how is reducing that to just Xbox, PC and Cloud good for anyone?

Well, that’s not PlayStation’s model, and unlike Microsoft and Xbox, Sony actually need a hugely profitable PlayStation business for the good of the overall company.
Exclusivity I’m not a fan of. I hate it as a practice in this industry. But look at the biggest abusers currently of exclusivity deals….how does that situation benefit Xbox/pc players? It doesn’t. You easily turn that argument around. At the very least, this deal would ensure the gmes are available to rent on Xbox and pc. Who knows, maybe other platforms in the future.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Exclusivity I’m not a fan of. I hate it as a practice in this industry. But look at the biggest abusers currently of exclusivity deals….how does that situation benefit Xbox/pc players? It doesn’t. You easily turn that argument around. At the very least, this deal would ensure the gmes are available to rent on Xbox and pc. Who knows, maybe other platforms in the future.
I think what you’re saying is that it wouldn’t be good for the consumer, without actually saying it.

gothmog

Gold Member
I’m sure they do have the capability. Doesn’t mean they are going to do it though.
Doesn't mean they're going to do it right now is what you mean. If they panic or have a shift in leadership they will absolutely revisit that decision.

I think he is more of a Florian disciple. Doesn't seem to possess the "inside knowledge" that Florian claims to have but a passsenger on the same crazy train.

tom and jerry coffee GIF

This whole deal is a crazy train. No idea if it's going to derail or crash into another train. Heck if someone flips the rail switch it might reach its destination.

Animated GIF

With the way its going I can see why it brings out the worst in people. I really hope this ends soon no matter what the outcome is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom