• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calverz

Quite childish to think that antitrust cases get decided based on what "gamers want".
It was based on his points. Use your head and actually read what was being discussed. I never said decisions would be based on what gamers want. I said the average gamer couldn’t care less about how Microsoft have acted in this whole thing. Or Sony. Or Nintendo for that matter.

reinking

Gold Member
They can negotiable with ABK a lower fee with some minor stock investment or some shit but I think Kotick will say 'Fuck off'.

Deal is beyond dead without an extension.
Probably. MS is still very outspoken (and almost appears desperate) and ABK seems to have calmed down. Except for Mr. Spencer. He has been quiet too. I'm not sure if he chose to step back or if he was reeled back by someone at MS. I do wish he would still talk about games (not ABK). He talked too much at times but I kind of miss the "Phil says....". Maybe he rolled up his sleeves and is hard at work getting some MS studios/properties in line for next weeks show.

Again. Hypothetical arguments. Fact is, evrything currently goes onto gamepass. This is a win for gamers. It can’t be argued. Yea ok it might all go to shit eventually but that ain’t gonna happen overnight.

Look to me, it seems like there a bunch of guys on this forum who are ultimately upset that Microsoft are essentially buying themselves to possible victory. Like it’s not deserved or fair. And it isn’t. But unfortunately we live in a capitalist society. It’s not fair lol
Are you bing shilling? Because i smell shill on you.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Link? As far as I know, Tony hawk said it’s not because activision couldn’t find anyone other than vicarious to do it. And vicarious are now in the call of duty mines.
Correction: there are rumors about a new Tony Hawk game in development that'll be an F2P live-service this time. I'll edit my original post.

Calverz

Correction: there are rumors about a new Tony Hawk game in development that'll be an F2P live-service this time. I'll edit my original post.
feel fridge GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And? Sony only cared for console SLC, they never addmited cloud is an issue for them. But CMA is looking at a bigger picture.

You're behaving like what he said somehow contradicts Jim Ryan's stance.
You'll have to excuse the brand warrior brain makeup. Nuance is lost on them.

Topher

Gold Member
How would it stuck? It would be great to get everything on gamepass and pc. And also under new management, some older ip might get rejuvenated.

Because....

An independent ABK ensures they attempt to get the most platform coverage for their games just as they do now. That isn't necessarily the case with a Microsoft owned ABK. The larger problem, to me, is that in 10 years Microsoft will be able to pull Call of Duty off competing platforms, both in cloud and local, and no one will be able to do anything about it. I'm sure Xbox die-hards love that idea, but it sucks for gamers in general.

And how's that Microsoft "rejuvenation" project working out so far?

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Absolutely love the absolute blind hope that MS would somehow run ABK better than ABK has been run so far, and that they would somehow stop them from doing what they are buying them for to bring some dormant IP back in any meaningful way.

Just completely tone deaf and ignorant to the reality of MS management for what, 15 years? It’s hilarious.

These “fans” don’t even play COD, or any ABK games aside from Diablo maybe. It’s also giving the Xbox fan community absolutely nothing of what they have been begging MS to deliver in terms of first party.

It’s about everything it means and nothing to do with the game you get to play on gamepass.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Absolutely love the absolute blind hope that MS would somehow run ABK better than ABK has been run so far, and that they would somehow stop them from doing what they are buying them for to bring some dormant IP back in any meaningful way.

Just completely tone deaf and ignorant to the reality of MS management for what, 15 years? It’s hilarious.

These “fans” don’t even play COD, or any ABK games aside from Diablo maybe. It’s also giving the Xbox fan community absolutely nothing of what they have been begging MS to deliver in terms of first party.

It’s about everything it means and nothing to do with the game you get to play on gamepass.
It's the fanboy tards being giddy at the takeaway game making their delusional perceived enemy smaller, instead of holding their beloved brand to task from their own failures.

Gaming's Stockholm syndrome.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Listen guys, I'm gonna be real with all of you.

I don't give a damn about cloud gaming or any of that nonsense. Large companies merging and getting acquired usually is an eyebrow raiser for me BUT

this deal passing is the only way I get a new Guitar Hero.

I'd let Microsoft overthrow the United States government and instill a dictatorship if it meant we went back to yearly GH releases.

This is who I am

Plus they could free Vicarious Visions from the COD support studio prison they’re in. More Tony Hawk remakes. A Morrowind remake. New Vegas remake. Those guys are beasts. It’s a goddamn shame they’re cranking out cosmetics for COD or whatever it is they’re doing.

Calverz

I have played more cod than you. It’s about getting the games on gamepass. If Sony had a gamepass competitor on console and pc, and was looking to buy abk. I would support it because I want cheaper games lol. Along with all the other gmes abk produce. It’s nothing more than that.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
so just don't sub to gp then?
You don't think that Gamepass and subscriptions could also cause a significant price increase in pay to play? What is the best way to increase the perceived value of a service? .... Make the standalone RRP for a game higher.

Ronin_7

Banned
Probably. MS is still very outspoken (and almost appears desperate) and ABK seems to have calmed down. Except for Mr. Spencer. He has been quiet too. I'm not sure if he chose to step back or if he was reeled back by someone at MS. I do wish he would still talk about games (not ABK). He talked too much at times but I kind of miss the "Phil says....". Maybe he rolled up his sleeves and is hard at work getting some MS studios/properties in line for next weeks show.
Spencer probably been told to shut the FUCK up.

feynoob

Banned
He is getting the chop, that is why he is quiet.

zedinen

I’m sure Jim Ryan is delighted that his boss has just come out and said cloud gaming isn’t a threat to the console business to the Financial Times of all publications,,,,

Kenichiro Yoshida reinforced Jim Ryan's position.

Kenichiro Yoshida

"I think cloud itself is an amazing business model, but when it comes to games, the technical difficulties are high”

Yoshida also pointed to the costly inefficiencies of cloud gaming, where servers are idle for much of the day before having to cope with the high levels of traffic of gamers playing during the evening or “dark time”

Jim Ryan

"Microsoft has a structural advantage in cloud computing services. Microsoft's success with Azure and Windows will give it opportunites to undercut SIE on cloud streaming.

As Phil Spencer remarked: "We have a ton of respect for Nintendo and SIE, but we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward. Traditional gaming companies are somewhat out of position"

"Since then, Google has announced that it is closing its cloud gaming service, Stadia"

"Amazon, for its part, has struggled to gain traction in cloud gaming"

"The only way to preserve competition is to ensure that Activision remains independently owned and controlled"

And? Sony only cared for console SLC, they never addmited cloud is an issue for them. But CMA is looking at a bigger picture.

You're behaving like what he said somehow contradicts Jim Ryan's stance.

SIE expressed concern about how the deal would affect competition in cloud gaming. They wil soon reveal 'aggressive' plans.

PS Plus Premium (8 million subscribers), ranks second in cloud gaming.

g3FFFkV.jpeg

LOn10eL.jpeg

zfW73eZ.jpeg

UZMlt5b.jpeg

CMA

uh3PqIu.jpeg

isIInDo.jpeg

AN60olH.jpeg

wPhFK70.jpeg

Kilau

Gold Member
Kenichiro Yoshida reinforced Jim Ryan's position.

Kenichiro Yoshida

"I think cloud itself is an amazing business model, but when it comes to games, the technical difficulties are high”

Yoshida also pointed to the costly inefficiencies of cloud gaming, where servers are idle for much of the day before having to cope with the high levels of traffic of gamers playing during the evening or “dark time”

Jim Ryan

"Microsoft has a structural advantage in cloud computing services. Microsoft's success with Azure and Windows will give it opportunites to undercut SIE on cloud streaming.

As Phil Spencer remarked: "We have a ton of respect for Nintendo and SIE, but we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward. Traditional gaming companies are somewhat out of position"

"Since then, Google has announced that it is closing its cloud gaming service, Stadia"

"Amazon, for its part, has struggled to gain traction in cloud gaming"

"The only way to preserve competition is to ensure that Activision remains independently owned and controlled"

SIE expressed concern about how the deal would affect competition in cloud gaming. They wil soon reveal 'aggressive' plans.

PS Plus Premium (8 million subscribers), ranks second in cloud gaming.

g3FFFkV.jpeg

LOn10eL.jpeg

zfW73eZ.jpeg

UZMlt5b.jpeg

CMA

uh3PqIu.jpeg

isIInDo.jpeg

AN60olH.jpeg

wPhFK70.jpeg
Good post. He didn't say it "wasn't a threat" just that it's very difficult. It's not a market just anyone can jump in to. It really makes you wonder how a cloud only future could handle a big game launch like CoD. Has MS ever said how many gamers they can service at once on xcloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom