• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage has blocked me on Twitter.

b0wqAUU.png

This was the tweet thread that apparently set him off:

How are people this sensitive? I mean, is it me? Am I just a raging a-hole, and I'm not seeing it?

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

Last edited:

sainraja

Dude you are literally an example of what I’m talking about. If you don’t want to be in a Microsoft ecosystem then don’t. All I care about is getting games free*. I couldn’t care less about the ecosystem. When I’m playing totk, demons souls, halo I’m not caring about ecosystems.
Well, you obviously do care about an "ecosystem", and that is one by Microsoft. Microsoft has convinced you that Game Pass is the way forward (paying a monthly price for access to their games). You don't care if they buy out the whole industry to do that, leaving them in control, because that seemingly gives you what you want, the thing you like about their current ecosystem, the one that is built around Game Pass. So, yes, you quite obviously do care about ecosystems.

What you don't understand, or maybe just don't want to, is that Microsoft is capable of doing things that leave you with no choice but their ecosystem if left uncontrolled. Most of us don't want that. Maybe A&B won't do that, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about what their intent might or might not be.

Last edited:

GHG

How can both these statements be true? "Sony chief warns technical problems persist for cloud gaming" ... while we also learned from the CMA this?

Because the person whose tweets you are quoting is stirring up shit by speculating that it's Sony who made those statements:

As usually some people ran with it because it's what they wanted to hear and/or it fit a narrative they were intending to push at the time. Even digital foundry (specifically Alex) ended up quoting that tweet of his in their weekly discussion without first attempting to verify whether or not there was any truth to it. It's the age old "I read a tweet about this, so it must be true" fallacy.

If you actually read the documents he's referencing you would realise that it could be any company who made those statements, so to jump to the conclusion that it must be Sony is a reach and a half.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Mark Cerny called me at midnight and said:

… Ooh bender, I love your way, everyday yeah, yeah
Ooh, bender, I love your way, everyday
… Shadows grow so long before my eyes
And they're moving across the page
Suddenly the day turns into night
Far away, from the city
But don't, oh no, hesitate
'Cause your love just won't wait (Hey yeah, yeah)
… Ooh bender, I love your way, everyday
I wanna tell you I love your way, everyday yeah, yeah
I wanna be with you night and day
… The moon appears to shine and light the skies
With the help of some fireflies
I wonder how they have the power to shine, shine, shine
I can see them under the pine
But don't, oh no no, hesitate, la di dah
'Cause your love, just won't wait (Hey yeah, yeah)
… Ooh bender, I love your way, everyday
I wanna tell you I love your way, everyday (Hey yeah)
I wanna be with you night and day (Whoa bender, oh bender please)
… Everyday yeah, yeah
I would love, I would love ya
I love your way (Oh bender please)
… I can see the sunset in your eyes
Brown and grey and blue besides
Clouds are stalking islands in the sun
I wish I could buy one out of season
But don't, oh no no, hesitate, la di dah
'Cause your love just won't wait, just won't wait
… Ooh bender, I love your way (Every, everyday)
I wanna tell you I love your way
(I wanna tell you how I love your little ways)
I wanna be with you night and day (Everyday, in every way)
… Ooh bender, I love your way (Ooh bender how I love your little ways, yeah)
I wanna tell you I love your way (I wanna tell you how I)
(I wanna tell you how I love your little ways)
I wanna be with you night and day
Ooh bender, I love your way (Ooh, bender, bender)

GHG

Twatter for these xbox fans be like
my-safe-space-randy-marsh.gif

It's not just there. It you dare to call out any combination of their misinformation/bullshit/hypocrisy on here by providing receipts and/or evidence they malfunction and put you on an ignore list.

It's pathetic, and it's all because they want to be able to spread their bullshit in peace. They don't want to engage with the truth, it's almost like they are scared of it for some reason.

It's not just there. It you dare to call out any combination of their misinformation/bullshit/hypocrisy on here by providing receipts and/or evidence they malfunction and put you on an ignore list.

It's pathetic, and it's all because they want to be able to spread their bullshit in peace. They don't want to engage with the truth, it's almost like they are scared of it for some reason.
Here's some truth. King of Fighters 12 and Duke Nukem Forever have a higher Metacritic then Redfall. But they will never hear the truth because haters aren't allowed IN THEIR SAFE SPACE

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Because the person whose tweets you are quoting is stirring up shit by speculating that it's Sony who made those statements:

As usually some people ran with it because it what they wanted to hear and/or it fit a narrative they were intending to push at the time. Even digital foundry (specifically Alex) ended up quoting that tweet of his in their weekly discussion without first attempting to verify whether or not there was any truth to it. It's the age old "I read a tweet about this, so it must be true" fallacy.

If you actually read the documents he's referencing you would realise that it could be anyone company who made those statements, so to jump to the conclusion that it must be Sony is a reach and a half.

Didn't Google claim that AI could be used to achieve 'negative latency' during their Stadia days? Obviously people here ridiculed them, but I think (my memory could be wrong) at the time it was stated to be a lower input latency than playing natively on XSX.

It's almost like some of them believe they can influence the situation by spreading those theories. Truth is this is out of most people's hands so all we can do is speculate on what's going to happen.

3liteDragon

Just remember that the people who are bringing up the “exit the UK” strategy are the same geniuses who thought this deal was gonna go through without a hitch, about a year ago & had the gall to call everyone else armchair regulators who disagreed with their batshit crazy takes.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

This is a great insight. Very detailed and unbiased opinion.

Yea, Microsoft will close the deal without the FTC & CMA by exiting both countries. I mean when you really think about it, why the hell did they need regulatory approval for this deal in the first place from any country when they could’ve just closed it the day after announcing the acquisition?

Their influencers are just as retarded lmao.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just remember that the people who are bringing up the “exit the UK” strategy are the same geniuses who thought this deal was gonna go through without a hitch, about a year ago & had the gall to call everyone else armchair regulators who disagreed with their batshit crazy takes.

Yea, Microsoft will close the deal without the FTC & CMA by exiting both countries. I mean when you really think about it, why the hell did they need regulatory approval for this deal in the first place from any country when they could’ve just closed it the day after announcing the acquisition?

This deal is good for gamers because it enables "more games for everyone* wherever they choose to play"

*except for UK gamers because Microsoft should pull out of that country and abandon their customers so I can get Diablo 4 on Game Pass.

Last edited:

Calverz

Well, you obviously do care about an "ecosystem", and that is one by Microsoft. Microsoft has convinced you that Game Pass is the way forward (paying a monthly price for access to their games). You don't care if they buy out the whole industry to do that, leaving them in control, because that seemingly gives you what you want, the thing you like about their current ecosystem, the one that is built around Game Pass. So, yes, you quite obviously do care about ecosystems.

What you don't understand, or maybe just don't want to, is that Microsoft is capable of doing things that leave you with no choice but their ecosystem if left uncontrolled. Most of us don't want that. Maybe A&B won't do that, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about what their intent might or might not be.
By stating that I do care about ecosystems, doesn’t mean I do lol.

I have already stated that if Sony, Nintendo, whoever, offered a similar subscription with first party released day one, pc day one and cross saves, I would also support them buying ABK. I’m a multi platform owner.

CuNi

This deal is good for gamers because it enables "more games for everyone* wherever they choose to play"

*except for UK gamers because Microsoft should pull out of that country and abandon their customers so I can get Diablo 4 on Game Pass.

I'm not saying it will happen or that it should happen, but rather want to set something straight.
You do know that in the unlikely scenario that ATVI does pull out of the UK, they will just release their products through a third party, right?
Them leaving doesn't remove their games from the UK. It would be the same situation that Blizzard was using in China with NetEase.

I still can't see them actually doing it, but to be fair, I would've never guessed they'd try to buy AVTI to begin with, so what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Three

That comment was probably not from Sony…

Not only is that particular part not from Sony (likely nvidia) but it's not even contradictory. Sony chief said this after saying there are technical difficulties.

“So there will be challenges to cloud gaming, but we want to take on those challenges.

So he only said they know there are technical difficulties but they are trying to take on those challenges and improve it. People are trying to turn that into some gotcha by turning it into an impossibility.

Neofire

Wonder what happened to that "more games for everyone wherever they choose to play" after they bought Bethesda lol and canceled versions of certain games 👀

Topher

Gold Member
SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage has blocked me on Twitter.

b0wqAUU.png

This was the tweet thread that apparently set him off:

How are people this sensitive? I mean, is it me? Am I just a raging a-hole, and I'm not seeing it?

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

Ah.....he is adopting Florian's habits is he? Not surprising considering he is repeating Florian's lie about being able waive government approvals. And yet, you look at replies and there a bunch of folks just hanging on every damn word. Fucking lemmings.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

How many of the people who said the deal wouldn't go through years ago cited cloud gaming as the reason? And how many of the people who said it would argued about the console angle? I mean basically you are saying "I told you so" when you didn't and lumping in some absurd fringe cases with those who were right up to a point. Right in the sense that the CMA did not block this due to competition in the console space.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Wonder what happened to that "more games for everyone wherever they choose to play" after they bought Bethesda lol and canceled versions of certain games 👀
Whatabout some other deal? That is a poor argument for anything.

They claim that this deal is better for more people and it appears to be a reasonable argument since they made deals to put the games on more platforms than they currently are. What is your argument against the validity of their claim that does not involve looking at how a previous acquisition that was 1/10th the size was handled? Nintendo and GFN have significant userbases.

I am still in the camp that MS will/should release Starfield on PlayStation in the future because the guaranteed millions of sales seems to be worth more than the value they could get by the tiny fraction of PS5 owners who don't have PCs and go out and buy into Xbox to play it.

Topher

Gold Member
Whatabout some other deal? That is a poor argument for anything.

They claim that this deal is better for more people and it appears to be a reasonable argument since they made deals to put the games on more platforms than they currently are. What is your argument against the validity of their claim that does not involve looking at how a previous acquisition that was 1/10th the size was handled? Nintendo and GFN have significant userbases.

I am still in the camp that MS will/should release Starfield on PlayStation in the future because the guaranteed millions of sales seems to be worth more than the value they could get by the tiny fraction of PS5 owners who don't have PCs and go out and buy into Xbox to play it.

The argument is that the games on these other platforms have a expiration date. In 10 years Microsoft can legally yank every ABK back into the fold and no one can do anything about it. Phil Spencer has said COD will stay on PlayStation and I believe he is being honest, but there is no guarantee Phil Spencer will be at Xbox in 10 years. You've got the most popular gaming franchise in the world being owned by a single platform holder. Having said that, referencing how the Bethesda deal was handled is not a poor argument at all. The size of the deal isn't the issue. The actions taken are. You cannot tell me it would shock anyone if somewhere down the road Call of Duty becomes exclusive to Xbox.

Ar¢tos

The argument is that the games on these other platforms have a expiration date. In 10 years Microsoft can legally yank every ABK back into the fold and no one can do anything about it. Phil Spencer has said COD will stay on PlayStation and I believe he is being honest, but there is no guarantee Phil Spencer will be at Xbox in 10 years. You've got the most popular gaming franchise in the world being owned by a single platform holder. Having said that, referencing how the Bethesda deal was handled is not a poor argument at all. The size of the deal isn't the issue. The actions taken are. You cannot tell me it would shock anyone if somewhere down the road Call of Duty becomes exclusive to Xbox.
The "positive" side of that is that some other multiplatform game would become the "new" CoD, probably Battlefield, if EA gets their shit together in 10 years.

LoveCake

I think the cloud deals benefit gamers, particularly the Nvidia one. As fucked up as it is, Nvidia has to pay publishers for the right to allow gamers to stream games they paid for on Nvidia's service. The MS deal makes sure those gamers get to play all the ABK games they fucking own on a streaming service they pay for. So it benefits gamepass users and GeForce Now users. The rest is a mix. COD will stay on all platforms, but smaller games/ franchises will be exclusive. That is bad for people without access to Xbox, but it also keeps Xbox a viable platform which should have some benefit to PlayStation gamers, as Sony will need to be competitive. Having fewer independent publishers is problematic, but consolidation lowers risk and that could allow for more games that take risks. Its a mixed bag with some intangibles. I am not sure you could even say if it was good or bad if it passed and you had years of data.

Put it this way, when Sony pays for an exclusive I am forced to chose between buying it for PS5 or crossing my fingers and hoping it hits PC soon. If MS does that, I get it day one on the platform I choose. ... Unless it is Diablo because those assholes think it is fine to not include couch co-op on PC. Maybe MS wouldn't let that bullshit fly.

What do you do when Nintendo pays for an exclusive?

You just want the deal to go through so you don't have to buy a Sony console basically.

sainraja

By stating that I do care about ecosystems, doesn’t mean I do lol.

I have already stated that if Sony, Nintendo, whoever, offered a similar subscription with first party released day one, pc day one and cross saves, I would also support them buying ABK. I’m a multi platform owner.
So, you are just in denial. I mean, if you didn't care, the items you listed wouldn't matter to you, not enough to make it a deciding factor for you. You've chosen Microsoft's ecosystem for their "...subscription with first party released day one, pc day one and cross saves..."; that is choosing an ecosystem, and because of it, you don't seem to care right now how they get content for you there. Yeah, no surprise that you would support them buying ABK. 😀

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
Jim Ryan

"Microsoft has a structural advantage in cloud computing services. Microsoft's success with Azure and Windows will give it opportunites to undercut SIE on cloud streaming.
I mean someone had to be leading.
Should we all wait for Sony to catch up or why haven't they lead the way from the start? Because it wasn't a good investment for them.

"The only way to preserve competition is to ensure that Activision remains independently owned and controlled"

Again, there are thousands of other games. No specific group of games made by one publisher will decide the fate of the cloud market. And Microsoft already made legally binding agreements to bring Activision Blizzard games to other cloud gaming providers.

Calverz

So, you are just in denial. I mean, if you didn't care, the items you listed wouldn't matter to you, not enough to make it a deciding factor for you. You've chosen Microsoft's ecosystem for their "...subscription with first party released day one, pc day one and cross saves..."; that is choosing an ecosystem, and because of it, you don't seem to care right now how they get content for you there. Yeah, no surprise that you would support them buying ABK. 😀
Some mental gymnastics you are putting yourself through. I don’t think I can make myself any clearer. You can justify it any way you would like if it helps you. It’s very simple. Microsoft are taking steps to try and become the netflix of games. I like this. If Sony tried this. I would support them. But currently they aren’t.

PaintTinJr

I mean someone had to be leading.
Should we all wait for Sony to catch up or why haven't they lead the way from the start? Because it wasn't a good investment for them.

Again, there are thousands of other games. No specific group of games made by one publisher will decide the fate of the cloud market. And Microsoft already made legally binding agreements to bring Activision Blizzard games to other cloud gaming providers.
Can I ask a question?

In the Sony chief thread you claim where you are in Iraq that Wifi is limited to 1Mb/s, so I'm confused how you would take any interest in gamepass, given you lack the broadband to download games digitally - by that Iraq claim - and fall below the 15Mbit/s to even use GeforceNow or Boosteroid's services via cloud gaming.

It just doesn't add up IMO for you to be defending this purchase when CoD at 500GB install AFAIK on PS5 and the disc is just a digital key requiring that all to be downloaded is beyond your internet access - given your 5G mobile was having trouble with 800KB thumbnail IIRC.

PaintTinJr

Taking a quick look at the technical specs needed for Boosteroid and GeforceNow, it is interesting that despite being sold as simple in a browser options the requirements still need brand new MacOS or Windows 10 x64bit on PC with a minimum of 2.5Ghz processor, 5GHz wifi, xbox 360 as the default pad interface, etc, etc which all points to them really just being Windows Desktop thick clients(ie still just the Microsoft Windows Platform), and not really the platform agnostic Cloud gaming thin-client that cloud will eventually be.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Can I ask a question?

In the Sony chief thread you claim where you are in Iraq that Wifi is limited to 1Mb/s, so I'm confused how you would take any interest in gamepass, given you lack the broadband to download games digitally - by that Iraq claim - and fall below the 15Mbit/s to even use GeforceNow or Boosteroid's services via cloud gaming.

It just doesn't add up IMO for you to be defending this purchase when CoD at 500GB install AFAIK on PS5 and the disc is just a digital key requiring that all to be downloaded is beyond your internet access - given your 5G mobile was having trouble with 800KB thumbnail IIRC.
He’s from Iraq like another poster was from Lancaster.

Gone

Banned
Can I ask a question?

I didn't claim anything. The internet here sucks and I posted the screenshot because for the last 3 weeks, the internet has been even worse than normal and I just wanted people to see how bad the internet in this country is.

It's impossible to play on cloud for me right now and it'll be like this for the foreseeable future.

I can download games, it just takes a day or two to download one game and that's why I use my laptop to do so because if I use any console then I'll have to deal with the constant shutting down of electricity. And this is also why I'm buying the RoG Ally.

Have a great day.

Topher

Gold Member

Then why is Microsoft paying $69 billion when they could buy thousands of other games for a hell of a lot less money?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I didn't claim anything. The internet here sucks and I posted the screenshot because for the last 3 weeks, the internet has been even worse than normal and I just wanted people to see how bad the internet in this country is.

It's impossible to play on cloud for me right now and it'll be like this for the foreseeable future.

I can download games, it just takes a day or two to download one game and that's why I use my laptop to do so because if I use any console then I'll have to deal with the constant shutting down of electricity. And this is also why I'm buying the RoG Ally.

Have a great day.
@ 1mbps it would take 66 hours and 40 mins to download one 30gb game.

Animated GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom